monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

izzythepush

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 03:40 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

will they just be on state assistance for a long time

Why do you think that's the alternative to apprenticeship. Truth is, immigrants are some of the most highly motivated workers out there. Immigrants do a lot of the jobs British people won't do, they tend to be young, pay taxes and don't use the NHS much. And that's just the Eat Europeans, people fleeing war zones are even more motivated Imagine making the trek to Western Europe from Syria, Afghanistan or Iraq, think about the perils and dangers they'd have to endure. They're not going through all that just for an easy life on the dole.
farmerman

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 03:49 pm
@izzythepush,
Thats the way our Mexican population is. Im amazed at the businesses that have begun that are founded by recent Mexican immigrants.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 04:02 pm
@hightor,
Interesting, and I'm not arguing re what you say.

My own family was nothin' if not interesting, and I won't try to put a world of observations here, but I will add about my husband and his brother. They both got full scholarships at a good and also nearby university.. parents were poor and so was south LA. Husband had worked his way through as a handiman (part of how we bought the house, his savings and mine), and got a masters in theater. Bro nabbed an architecture degree, but also went to Trade Tech, or similar name. Went to Africa teaching carpentry, etc., in the peace corp. He's been a long time head building inspector and still likes his job, has always remodeled where his family lived, rebuilding the houses.

In my own time, having been part of a landscape architecture firm or had our own, I am sure the mason earned more than I ever did... and deserved it. Many well read people like building places or things, and beginners are learners.

My point? I think we need more trade tech schools. People might be happier.
hightor

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 04:15 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I got sick of academia, decided against going to seminary, and became a cabinet maker ... boat builder ... construction worker ... landscaper. Never had trouble getting work. I think I've been unemployed for about two weeks since entering the full-time work force in '75. Trade professions are great and even better when you've got a liberal arts education to provide perspective and provoke curiosity.
giujohn

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 04:45 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

giujohn wrote:

And that big Mac will be $10.

Or it would go from $3.99 to $4.16....but you know...details (they always mess up a good sounding argument)

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2015/Q3/study-raising-wages-to-15-an-hour-for-limited-service-restaurant-employees-would-raise-prices-4.3-percent.html

The problem with your details is that first it's based on a university study of a decidedly leftest school. Next it's based on a tax advantage of Obama care (hahahaha) and lastly you forgot to mention that the size of the big Mac would probably have to be reduced by up to 79%... Details.
ossobucotemp

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 04:47 pm
@hightor,
Nods.

My ex, I may just start calling him John, a universal name, is, I'm guessing, very engaged in all this stuff. Ex can be a cold word.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 04:50 pm
@giujohn,
Please provide proof that university education is leftist?
Did you attend university? Where?

The leftist doctrine promotes equality.
What do you find in the promotion of equality so offensive?
cicerone imposter

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 05:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
http://m.dailykos.com/story/2010/10/26/913651/-
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 05:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No, I won't look it up, but I take it education may well haved move left. Not sure.

Sr. Mary Vernice, the principal, would later not send students' transcripts to UCLA, the commie school. Before that, they would not send Carolyn's transcript, since she wanted to be an engineer. This was 1959.

When I interviewed a nun for the paper, Sr. Wilhelmina, she asked me what I wanted to do in my life (be a doctor) and then the whole place tried to recruit me (my chemistry teacher had a dream). I just missed buying the postulant shoes. Looking back, I was a possible missionary in India.
cicerone imposter

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 05:36 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Moved left from where?
Did you know that UC Berkeley is considered one of the premier college in the US? The demographics at Berkeley is predominantly Asian, and many are refused entry based on reverse discrimination. I'm not making any judgement on their policy, but I just wonder about those numbers who qualified were refused will impact their entry into their desired profession.
I have always contended that it's not which school any individual attends, but the subject of their study and how they perform on the job.
However, graduating from UC Berkeley has a better chance of getting a job than the candidate that graduated from Cal State U (CSU xxxxx).
blatham

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 05:41 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
T rex i my name for Tillrson. Hes already told trump what he would or wouldnt do for Derr Herrn

I have little fear Tillerson will by bullied by Trump. And I doubt Trump will really care what Tillerson gets up to in his post because that would require Trump to study and have interest in something outside of whether he's adulated.

My guess is that Tillerson will be a voice for stability because corporate types do not like too much uncertainty. It can be bad for business. But the head of Exxon (even if now disconnected) as Sec of State epitomizes, for me, the corporocratic nature of America and it's activities in the world.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 05:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I am not the person who needs to figure out present data, or earlier data.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 05:49 pm
@revelette1,
Wonderful link, rev! The mention of Halberstam reminded me of the series made based on his book The Fifties. It's an astonishingly good historical/political series and I need to watch it again.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 05:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Tak, don't question if I know about UC Berkeley.

You know me not at all if you think I don't care. You are confused.
cicerone imposter

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 06:03 pm
@ossobucotemp,
When did I question you about college?
blatham

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 06:14 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Trade professions are great and even better when you've got a liberal arts education to provide perspective and provoke curiosity.

Absolutely. My ideal citizen population, or a large portion of it, looks rather like that.
camlok

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 06:16 pm
@hightor,
And it shows in your lucid thoughts.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 06:18 pm
Quote:
From the Republican fringe to the White House

...Mike Pence, for example, earned a reputation as something of a fringe crackpot, with a voting record well to the right of House members such as Michele Bachmann, Todd Akin, and even Louie Gohmert. Pence has nevertheless been mainstreamed – and now he’s one heartbeat from the presidency.

Even Donald Trump himself was a fringe, clownish figure for many years, best known as the chief spokesperson for a racist conspiracy theory about President Obama. He’s now the leader of the free world.

The broader point is that Republican politics has been radicalized to such a ridiculous degree that practically no conservative is too extreme to play a key role in helping run the executive branch of a global superpower.

I’m reminded anew of the critically important 2012 thesis from Norm Ornstein and Thomas Mann, who famously wrote that the contemporary GOP “has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition…. When one party moves this far from the mainstream, it makes it nearly impossible for the political system to deal constructively with the country’s challenges.”

Thanks to this year’s election results, these insurgent outliers are now running the White House. Republican radicalism was rewarded, which resulted in increased radicalism
Steve Benen
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 06:26 pm
Yiannopoulos resigns from Breitbart. I am not unhappy to see this troll go down and it's just a pity he can't take defenders like Coulter down with him. He was on his way to making millions in the same manner Coulter, Gingrich and so many others have, by trolling and conning the right wing US audience.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 06:31 pm
@hightor,
From what I've heard, the military has seen an increase in both size and intelligence in soldiers going through basic training compared to 30-40 years ago. I find that to be very interesting anyways.