Quote:
Ari Berman ‏@AriBerman 23h23 hours ago
Trump cabinet picks:
EPA against science
AG against justice
Ed against public education
Hud against fair housing
HHS against healthcare

Thanks! If it weren't for tweets, I would have no idea what my talking points should be.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 01:13 pm
And from the exciting world of christian right fruitcakes
Quote:
Yesterday, both houses of the Ohio legislature passed a so-called “heartbeat bill” that had been inserted at the last minute into a child abuse prevention measure. The bill would ban abortion, without exception, after a fetal heartbeat can be detected; that’s usually around six weeks into a pregnancy, which is before many women know that they are pregnant at all.

...This is a huge victory for Janet Porter, the extremist Religious Right activist who wrote the Ohio “heartbeat bill” and has for years led the charge for its passage, including memorably bringing a fetus to “testify” in favor of the bill in 2011.

While Porter has focused much of her energy in recent years on her “heartbeat bill,” she has had a long and varied career in Religious Right activism, including advocating for Seven Mountains dominionism (the idea that conservative Christians must take over all areas of government and society in order to prepare the way for Christ’s return), promoting bizarre conspiracy theories like birtherism, and, most recently, making a movie featuring several GOP politicians that warns that LGBT rights will lead to the criminalization of Christianity.
Also, small spaceships can fly in your ear canal and then dig through to your brain
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 01:18 pm
Hands down winner of the week's Solid Gold Irony Trophy

In a tweet to a union head who'd said Trump lied through his teeth re Carrier, Trump tweets back that the fellow needs to
Quote:
spend more time working" & "less time talking
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 01:29 pm
I suppose we ought to note that the GOP in Michigan argued that recount was totally unnecessary because there never was evidence of voter fraud and also that voter suppression bill is absolutely necessary because of voter fraud.

layman

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 01:33 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I suppose we ought to note that the GOP in Michigan argued that recount was totally unnecessary because there never was evidence of voter fraud and also that voter suppression bill is absolutely necessary because of voter fraud.

Fraud in counting votes is not the same as fraud in casting votes.

A recount will not detect the illegality of the votes counted

"Voter Suppression Bill," eh? Is that what they named it?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 01:41 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
absolutely necessary because of voter fraud.

You are wording it wrong. It's to prevent voter fraud. A majority of people here in the US actually want fair and secure voting. We want to make sure that one person one vote is actually the real person casting the vote.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/194741/four-five-americans-support-voter-laws-early-voting.aspx
0 Replies

layman

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 01:56 pm
Quote:
A federal judge who ordered Michigan to begin its recount effectively ended it on Wednesday, tying his decision to a state court ruling that found Green Party candidate Jill Stein had no legal standing to request another look at ballots.

The ruling seals Republican Donald Trump’s narrow victory over Democrat Hillary Clinton for Michigan’s 16 electoral votes.

http://fortune.com/2016/12/08/michigan-election-recount-canceled/
==========
Quote:
Wisconsin Election Recount Update: Vote Count Virtually Unchanged

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/2195975-wisconsin-election-recount-update-vote-count-virtually-unchanged/
Baldimo

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 02:00 pm
@layman,
I feel bad for the people who were scammed out of money, they were led to believe that something fishy had gone one with the votes.
layman

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 02:03 pm
@Baldimo,
Well, looks like Stein is going to be able to pocket a lot more money than even she initially thought.

Quote:
U.S. District Judge Paul Diamond in Philadelphia on Tuesday scheduled a hearing Friday on the request for a recount. The Republican Party and Trump warned that the case threatens Pennsylvania's ability to certify its election before the Dec. 13 federal deadline. Stein's team hasn't produced evidence of hacking, but calls Pennsylvania's election system "a national disgrace."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/michigan-recount-now-doubt-pennsylvania-sets-hearing-44027368

The chumps, them.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 02:08 pm
@layman,
Much like the Hitler Youth,
layman

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 02:11 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Much like the Hitler Youth,

Bingo!
0 Replies

layman

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 02:17 pm
A guy I know said that Hillary's joining in the recount made the Democrats look good, because they "stood up to Trump."

That's funny. Round these here parts, we generally don't consider it to be prestige-enhancing to get beat down like a bitch. Especially twice, ya know?
Frugal1

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 02:18 pm
@layman,
She's once, twice
http://www.rushimg.com/cimages//media/images2/hilalry-3-time-loser-e/1567904-1-eng-GB/Hilalry-3-time-loser-E.jpg
McGentrix

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 02:25 pm
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:

She's once, twice
http://www.rushimg.com/cimages//media/images2/hilalry-3-time-loser-e/1567904-1-eng-GB/Hilalry-3-time-loser-E.jpg

heh.
0 Replies

layman

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 02:45 pm
@Frugal1,
Jeez, Frug, have a little consideration why doncha? You're gunna make me hurl chunks all over the damn forum after pastin up that ugly mug.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 02:47 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
@georgeob et al
Dangnabbit. Somehow, you guys have managed to ferret out that I am a Canadian. I have been covertly hiding that truth throughout my engagements here and earlier at abuzz. Well done, boys and girls. I've seen perspicacity before but this is the cake taker.

Despite your patronizing response, the fact is you have very frequently discussed "our" political challenges and things "we" must do to meet them - all leaving the impression that you are indeed one of us. Whether this was deliberate, or merely careless, is not particularly important, or even interesting. Rather it is your peristence in so earnestly advocating particular issues and so energetically criticizing so many aspects of American life that makes a very reasonable person like (ahem !) myself question your motives and proclivities. A little of this is quite innocuous. You appear to make a nearly full time practice of it, and that alone makes it a bit unusual. I suspect that if our roles were reversed most Canadians would find it offensive as well.

I cannot easily imagine myself dedicating so much time and energy to telling Canadians (or anyone else) how they should arrange their political affairs. In the first place these are their affairs, not mine and I have no proper voice in them. That doesn't mean I don't have any opinions or preferences on such matters, or that they don't have any effect on me or my country. However it does mean that my intrusive commentary ought to be tempered and measured in some rough proportion to exactly those factors. Intellectual discussion of alternatives and the governing principles attending such questions from broad historical, economic or political perspectives is certainly OK, but when the focus is consistently on one country, not one's own, and on one highly partisan perspective having little evident applicability anywhere else, such behavior becomes offensive and indicative of rather strange motivations on the part of one doing it. I certainly find it tiresome.
layman

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 02:51 pm
@georgeob1,
Well, George, we're all comrades, the way Blathy looks at it. This is a cosmopolitan kinda thing, can't ya see?

WORKER'S OF THE WORLD, UNITE!

You have nothing to loose but your house, your car, your next meal, your freedom, and ****.

Aint that right, Blathy?
0 Replies

Frugal1

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 03:07 pm
Trump's EPA pick will make Obama regret his environmental overreach
layman

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 03:13 pm
@Frugal1,
An excerpt from your cite:

Quote:
Our friends in the environmental movement should rightly be at Defcon Five. It appears that President-Elect Trump — in many ways just like his predecessor — is going to keep his environmental campaign promises, which means reversing eight years what many feel was an era of green overreach.

Remember that Obama said he would “bankrupt” anyone foolish enough to build a new coal-fired power plant, because he would render them unprofitable. That’s just what his Clean Power Plan does. Trump promises to nix it.

Al Go, he aint no mo.
georgeob1

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 03:19 pm
@layman,
The really sad thing here is that far more reduction of greenhouse gasses has been achieved, just in the last five years through natural economic processes and the search for better, cheaper tecnologies (fracking & natural gas) than has been achieved through government-mandated and subsidized programs for "renewable power" for decades..

Environmentalist go even further, resisting, as they do and have done, the construction of Nuclear power plants which even today acccount for about 35% of our electrical power production and doi so with zero emissions and at lower cost than all alternatives, except natural gas.