monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 11:27 am
@georgeob1,
Yeah, George, from the reports I've seen, the Clinton's went from being "dead broke" to being worth in excess of $100 million. That aint exactly chump change, eh?

Maybe Blathy will want to post a bunch of articles giving the details of how this massive worth was accumulated.

Then, again, maybe not.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 11:27 am
@blatham,
More drivel from one who selects it carefully based on his, largely ininformed, political prejudices and, very strangely, focuses (apparently entirely) on the domestic politics of a country, other than his own, thus sparing his countrymen the tedium involved in scanning all that ****..
0 Replies

layman

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 11:31 am
@blatham,
Best go hug some trees while ya can, Blathy. As soon as all trees on our massive federal lands are chopped down, we're comin to Canada to get yours.
Baldimo

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 11:38 am
@blatham,
Quote:
“It’s the worst thing in the history of our environment!” Isaacs exclaimed when I spoke to him on Wednesday. “We are in danger. The whole country is in danger. Our kids are in danger. People have got to do something about the Citizens United decision that is turning our country into an oligarchy, run by oil-and-gas interests,” he said.

This very statement invalidates his opinion on anything dealing with the EPA. He's another hard left anti-oil person, so of course he is going to feel this way about anyone other than a person that feels the way he does. Oh well, Trump wasn't elected to appease the anti-oil crowd.
0 Replies

layman

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 11:42 am
The EPA will soon be abolished, and standards for clear air and water will be delegated to the Dept. of the Interior.
0 Replies

layman

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 11:48 am
I expect Donald to establish a nation-wide organization for the benefit of all male children. They will be schooled in the ways of the Donald, and will march around in uniforms like the boy scouts.

He'll call the organization "Trump Youth," I figure.
layman

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 11:54 am
Noam Chomsky will probably be the first political prisoner taken.

Well, he probably won't actually become a "prisoner." He will be summarily executed on sight.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 11:54 am
@layman,
Ok, this made me laugh out loud.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 11:58 am
And more on Pruitt
Quote:
Next week, the American Geophysical Union will hold its annual conference in San Francisco. The A.G.U. meeting is one of the world’s première scientific gatherings—last fall, some twenty-four thousand experts in fields ranging from astronomy to volcanology attended. This year, in addition to the usual papers and journals, a new publication will be available to participants. It’s called “Handling Political Harassment and Legal Intimidation: A Pocket Guide for Scientists.”

The guide is the creation of a group called the Climate Science Legal Defense Fund. One of the group’s founders, Joshua Wolfe, and its executive director, Lauren Kurtz, made the decision to write it on the day after the election. “There is a lot of fear among scientists that they will become targets of people who are interested in science as politics, rather than progress,” Wolfe told me in an e-mail.

With each passing day, that fear appears to be more well founded. The one quality that all of Trump’s picks for his cabinet and his transition team seem to share is an expertise in the dark art of disinformation.

Consider, for example, Scott Pruitt, who is reportedly Trump’s nominee to head the Environmental Protection Agency.
New Yorker

As I noted some weeks back, here in Canada the previous conservative government under Harper set up a rules regime where all scientists working within government or working for government were totally disallowed to publish any findings without express approval from Harper's government. Further, such scientists were disallowed the right to speak with any reporter anywhere at any time on their research or findings without express consent from the government. These rules were intended to control information such that industries (particularly petroleum based) would be effectively free of oversight and regulation of the sort that might damage their profit-taking enterprises. This move by the Harper government to facilitate the desires of huge corporations while impeding citizens' rights to scientific information was a key factor in the decimation of his party in the prior election.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 12:11 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Best go hug some trees while ya can, Blathy. As soon as all trees on our massive federal lands are chopped down, we're comin to Canada to get yours.

That's how they make their money. Canada has long operated a very large trade deficit with the rest of the world, but enjoys a huge trade surplus with the United States, which covers it all and makes Canada a large net exporter. Most of their exports to the US involve the extraction industry; timber, tar sands petroleum, and minerals from their very extensive mines. Environmental law in Canada is extremely lax, by U.S. standards, and their mines, timber and petroleum extraction standards involve practices that would never be tolerated here. Indeed a large fractions of these exports from Canada would quickly disappear if their environmental standards were raised to even approach ours.

One may find it odd that, while knowing all this ( undoubtedly from his voracious study and research), Blatham exerts so much energy in his efforts to reform us. Indeed we just saw him complaining vociferously about Trump initiatives to restrain U.S. environmental restrictions, but in a way that would still leave them much more far-reaching and restrictive than those that prevail in his own country. Does he exert similar effirts to reform his own country? Are we the only recipients of his attentions? Is there any way we can we get an exemption from this hypocritical tedium?

I don't have an explanation for this either, but sometimes I find myself wondering if this is not a fairly wide spread Canadian trait. (Or perhaps just a trait the Canadians here on A2K: my Canadian business aquaintences and associates in Calgary rejoice in their success in the tar sands industry ( though much less lately now that we have so quickly lowered the cost of much cleaner natural gas and higher grade petroleum).

Perhaps there's somethng in the water up there. Alternatively, they could all be very bored.

Actually Calgary is a very nice place (during the summer anyway) and the people there very agreeable. (Oddly the town appears to have the world's largest population of pissed off, angry Sikh and Hindi taxi drivers. )
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 12:16 pm
From WSJ
Quote:
None of the 96 LLCs examined by the Journal appear to regularly release audited financial statements. That opacity — compounded by Mr. Trump’s decision to break with decades of precedent by declining to release his tax returns — makes it impossible to gauge the full extent of potential conflicts between his business interests and presidential role.

The scope and complexity of Mr. Trump’s private business holdings is unprecedented for incoming presidents, said Norman Eisen, President Barack Obama’s former White House ethics lawyer. “We’ve never seen anything like this,” he said.

It’s not clear how much Mr. Trump’s businesses would benefit from his proposal to cut business tax rates.…

Mr. Trump’s wealth is impossible to measure with precision. His financial disclosure form isn’t externally audited and — following government rules — often uses bands, such as more than $50 million, rather than exact amounts to report assets and revenue or income. Only a handful of the hundreds of entities listed in Mr. Trump’s financial disclosure publish audited financial statements — and those figures don’t necessarily illuminate Mr. Trump’s financial situation.
link (behind pay wall)
layman

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 12:25 pm
@blatham,
It's kinda like the illegal aliens voting thing, eh, Blathy? First you make all the data inaccessible, then you claim that any charge is a lie, because ya aint got no proof, chump.

Played by Trump, yet again, sho nuff.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 12:32 pm
A very real current question - and how bizarre is it that this IS a question - is whether a GOP led Congress and a GOP president are going to bother investigating the role Russia has clearly played in the election, in aid of helping one candidate while damaging the other.
Quote:
When U.S. intelligence agencies concluded that a foreign government deliberately intervened in a national American election, intending to change the outcome for its preferred candidate, it put a spotlight on what is probably one of the most important controversies in decades.

American policymakers – even the most die-hard Trump followers who are delighted that Russia’s efforts paid dividends – should care about crimes of this magnitude. We are, after all, talking about the integrity of the American democracy. Federal policymakers should be outraged by any attempt from a foreign state to interfere with our elections for its own purposes, much less a successful operation.

The point would be to investigate what a foreign rival did, what the United States should do in response, and what steps can be taken to prevent similar crimes in the future.

What could possibly justify indifference? Before the election, even Mike Pence said Russia should face “severe” and “serious” consequences if it compromised the security of the United States. So why not have an investigation to determine Russia’s culpability?

Postscript: I can appreciate why some on the right, driven solely by partisan concerns, may worry about this undermining the legitimacy of Trump’s presidency. After all, it obviously doesn’t look great that agents of Vladimir Putin allegedly took steps to manipulate Americans in the hopes of electing the Republican amateur. But given that the president-elect received nearly 3 million fewer votes than his opponent, the legitimacy problem probably can’t get much worse, so policymakers of both parties should at least try to learn what exactly happened.
We heart Russia
georgeob1

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 12:38 pm
@blatham,
Limited Liability companies and non profits. (like most environmental advocacy orgnizastions)., plus all other privately held enterprises of any kind aren't required by law to publish financial statements. Trump's practices are entirely legal and comonplace for such operations. A result is that they are indeed rather opaque as the WSJ noted - (just as were those of the Kennedy family, and , of course as are those of George Soros).

Bernie just grabs anything he can find to advance his propaganda. The relative significance of it, or the appearance of the same thing on the other side of the political spectrum doesn't appear to concern him at all. He appears to imagine that he is some kind of scholar or student of political affairs. In fact he is merely an hypocrticial propagandist, and, as he makes more evident every day, one with remarkably little real understanding of the stuff he puts out.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 12:41 pm
In our on-going series on how Donald Trump will get rid of those elites and drain the swamp:
Quote:
"When George W. Bush assembled his first Cabinet in 2001, news reports dubbed them a team of millionaires, and government watchdogs questioned whether they were out of touch with most Americans' problems. Combined, that group had an inflation-adjusted net worth of about $250 million -- which is roughly one-tenth the wealth of Donald Trump's nominee for commerce secretary alone."
The Big Con - drink it up, it's tasty
Baldimo

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 12:43 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
the legitimacy problem probably can’t get much worse, so policymakers of both parties should at least try to learn what exactly happened.

Really the only people who have a problem with the "legitimacy" of anything are those who seem to think the popular votes makes you President. The real "legitimacy" they should be concerned about is what the DNC did to the primaries. The DNC made sure that Hillary would be selected to run and they screwed over a large portion of their voters in the process. If it hadn't been for super-delegates, Bernie would have whipped Hillary's ass. The Dems would have still lost the election but at least it would have been an honest win for the people of the DNC. Instead of evaluating what went wrong, you want to point at the hack as the reason for the loss, instead of what was exposed by the hack. Remember when people such as yourself celebrated wikileaks for the illegally obtained information they published? They were doing the people's work and now they are Russian lackys. My oh my, how the winds have shifted.

It's never very fun when your pet bites your hand.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 12:57 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
"When George W. Bush assembled his first Cabinet in 2001, news reports dubbed them a team of millionaires, and government watchdogs questioned whether they were out of touch with most Americans' problems. Combined, that group had an inflation-adjusted net worth of about $250 million -- which is roughly one-tenth the wealth of Donald Trump's nominee for commerce secretary alone."

Yeah the left leaning news media made a deal of it, but I don't think the average person cared. Most politicians are wealthy and if they aren't rich when they enter office, they sure are rich when the leave office. Look at the 2012 #'s for politicians net worth.
https://ballotpedia.org/Net_worth_of_United_States_Senators_and_Representatives
In both the House and Senate, it is split 5 each for the top 10 and bottom 10. In the top 10 of the Senate, the top 4 are Dems.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 01:02 pm
@georgeob et al
Dangnabbit. Somehow, you guys have managed to ferret out that I am a Canadian. I have been covertly hiding that truth throughout my engagements here and earlier at abuzz. Well done, boys and girls. I've seen perspicacity before but this is the cake taker.

So now that cat has been released into the wild, you should also know that I'm a woman, gay as can be, not white, nor Anglo-Saxonish. And Karl Marx was my grandaddy on my drug-addicted mother's side.
layman

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 01:03 pm
Well, yeah, sure, Blathy is a drama queen. But he aint stupid. He knows the mere mention of words like wealth, corporation, business, and capitalism is his ticket to exciting his followers.

It's a good thing they aint hard to please, cuz he aint got nuthin else.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 01:04 pm
Making America Great Again news from all over
Quote:
Ari Berman ‏@AriBerman 23h23 hours ago
Trump cabinet picks:
EPA against science
AG against justice
Ed against public education
Hud against fair housing
HHS against healthcare