monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

coldjoint

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 01:24 am
Wow, a whole page of gossip. Stirred by a hack who has you enjoying someones supposed misery. You do not even realize the level Trump has made you sink to. Mean school girls come to mind.
crackedhead

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 01:41 am
@coldjoint,
A: I'm not a hack
B: If a Trump level thing actually exists in the real world go to C
C: I'm a Trump supporter and I like being dumb
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 02:06 am
The behaviour of President Donald Trump after the lost US election is described by some commentators - especially if they know German history - as the preparation of a Dolchstoßlegende ("stab-in-the-back-myth").

1918 Germany Has a Warning for America
Quote:
Donald Trump’s “Stop the Steal” campaign recalls one of the most disastrous political lies of the 20th century.
[...]
Don’t get me wrong: This is not about comparing Mr. Trump to Hitler, which would be absurd. But the Dolchstosslegende provides a warning. It’s tempting to dismiss Mr. Trump’s irrational claim that the election was “rigged” as a laughable last convulsion of his reign or a cynical bid to heighten the market value for the TV personality he might once again intend to become, especially as he appears to be giving up on his effort to overturn the election result.

But that would be a grave error. Instead, the campaign should be seen as what it is: an attempt to elevate “They stole it” to the level of legend, perhaps seeding for the future social polarization and division on a scale America has never seen.
[...]
Don’t get me wrong: This is not about comparing Mr. Trump to Hitler, which would be absurd. But the Dolchstosslegende provides a warning. It’s tempting to dismiss Mr. Trump’s irrational claim that the election was “rigged” as a laughable last convulsion of his reign or a cynical bid to heighten the market value for the TV personality he might once again intend to become, especially as he appears to be giving up on his effort to overturn the election result.

But that would be a grave error. Instead, the campaign should be seen as what it is: an attempt to elevate “They stole it” to the level of legend, perhaps seeding for the future social polarization and division on a scale America has never seen.

Germany’s first democracy fell. Without a basic consensus built on a shared reality, society split into groups of ardent, uncompromising partisans. And in an atmosphere of mistrust and paranoia, the notion that dissenters were threats to the nation steadily took hold.

Alarmingly, that seems to be exactly what is happening in the United States today. According to the Pew Research Center, 89 percent of Trump supporters believe that a Joe Biden presidency would do “lasting harm to the U.S.,” while 90 percent of Biden supporters think the reverse. And while the question of which news media to trust has long split America, now even the largely unmoderated Twitter is regarded as partisan. Since the election, millions of Trump supporters have installed the alternative social media app Parler. Filter bubbles are turning into filter networks.

In such a landscape of social fragmentation, Mr. Trump’s baseless accusations about electoral fraud could do serious harm. A staggering 88 percent of Trump voters believe that the election result is illegitimate, according to a YouGov poll. A myth of betrayal and injustice is well underway.

It took another war and decades of reappraisal for the Dolchstosslegende to be exposed as a disastrous, fatal fallacy. If it has any worth today, it is in the lessons it can teach other nations. First among them: Beware the beginnings.

Walter Hinteler

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 05:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Five factors that helped US democracy resist Trump's election onslaught
Quote:
Trump’s trashing of norms has been harmful but decentralization, turnout, transparency, the courts and the media played a key role

It is not clear yet whether US democracy “survived” the 2020 presidential election unscathed.

If Donald Trump’s playbook of seeking to undermine a legitimate election becomes standard Republican practice for future elections – refuse to concede, make false claims of fraud, fan the flames of conspiracy, sue everywhere and refuse to certify any win by the other side – then American democracy might already have sustained a fatal wound.

But Trump has not succeeded in stealing the 2020 election, despite his historic attempt to do so, in what analysts call the most dangerous frontal assault on US democracy since the civil war era. The two states upon which Trump’s plot most hinged, Pennsylvania and Michigan, certified their results in Joe Biden’s favor earlier this week. The presidential transition is at last under way.

But while the election exposed key areas where American democracy is failing, it also highlighted structural features that make national elections in the United States hard to steal, no matter how determined the would-be despot or how complicit his party colleagues.

Here is a select list of those features:

1 Decentralization
[... ... ...]

2 Turnout
[... ... ...]

3 Integrity and transparency
[... ... ...]

4 The courts
[... ... ...]

5 The media
[... ... ...]

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 06:12 am

The king of trump TV thinks you’re dumb enough to buy it

Chris Ruddy, the C.E.O. of Newsmax, has found a business opportunity in feeding
Trump supporters the fantasy that the president could still win the election...

blatham

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 06:59 am
From the Annals of Corner-Turning

The US Recorded More Than 4 Million COVID-19 Cases In The Month Of November
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 07:04 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
The king of trump TV thinks you’re dumb enough to buy it

A good bet, obviously.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 07:04 am
@Region Philbis,
What was it WC Fields said? “Never give a sucker an even break,” or something like that.

I bet telemarketers would pay a fortune for a list of Trump supporters, those idiots will believe anything and therefore buy anything no matter how crappy.
blatham

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 07:27 am
@izzythepush,
The gathering of names along with targeting them via direct mail became an industry within the conservative movement a half century ago. Such lists can be used by those who compiled them and/or sold to others who have their own scams going or planned. Paul Viguerie was a pioneer and central figure in this story.
oristarA

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 07:48 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

Why not let this guy debunk the declaration of those experts that the voting system is safe and secure since the system has been well tested

They cannot produce a date on the last time they were tested. If you were informed you would know that.

Quote:
What operating system does this guy use to do his analysis? Windows?

I can see you know nothing about data analyses.

I can see how you have missed the point.

Whether this guy used Linux, Windows or Mac OS to analyze the data, the point was that these operating systems offered him a platform or an environment to perform his duty. That in this sense Bill Gates, who's the founder of a vital OS, could have come to play a role who would no way be fooled by this guy's analysis. But OK I know you know nothing about data analyses.

This guy claimed that he has found many big bugs in the software of the voting system and he's top dog in such business. Here's the catch: Where was he before the election? Was he asleep on the job as top dog to ensure the safety and security of the software? Should he be held accountable for his negligence of duty? Does he feel guilty now?
engineer

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 07:54 am
@blatham,
Realistically this has become an industry regardless of political persuasion. No reason to think this is restricted to just one party.
blatham

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 08:09 am
Today's Biggest Surprise winner!
Quote:
NPR
@NPR
· 19h
When the state of Kansas issued a mask mandate, 81 counties opted out. Researchers found that coronavirus infection rates rose sharply in the opt-out counties — while falling in areas that required masks.
https://trib.al/mcTCDp2

0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 08:17 am
@engineer,
Quote:
Realistically this has become an industry regardless of political persuasion. No reason to think this is restricted to just one party.

That this marketing technique is exclusive to one party (or even to politics) isn't a claim anyone I know has made. But that framing quite misses everything of importance in the same manner as equivalence framings (eg "All politicians lie") commonly miss everything of importance.
The Long Con - Mail-order conservatism
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 09:00 am
Quote:
state Republicans including Reps. Seth Grove (R., York) and Dawn Keefer (R., York) have begun echoing Trump’s distrust of Dominion’s machines, despite the fact that Trump won in 12 of the 14 Pennsylvania counties that use the company’s devices.
HERE

Predictable response... "Exactly! This just proves the manipulation of Dominion devices. In researching the machines state-wide, Miriam Loxworth of the Los Angeles Upstairs University, America's foremost Food Intuitive has determined in scientific testing that only two counties' machines showed traces of high grade gluten spores. Just guess which two counties those were!
0 Replies

snood

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 09:02 am
Why aren’t Purdue and Loeffler being prosecuted for insider trading?
revelette3

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 10:57 am
@snood,
From what little I have read regarding the run-off January election, democrats are making less about them(any of them) and more about who control's the senate and the freeze McConnell would put on any legislation going through, including stimulus or urgent legislation, or as is as important, the appointment of federal judges. At least I hope so, if it gets into personalities and accusations, it goes both ways and the main goal gets lost.

Some federal judges plan to retire when Trump exits. Will Biden be able to replace them?
coldjoint

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 11:12 am
@Region Philbis,

Anyone who buys Braindead Joe and Headboard Harris got over 80 million votes should not be calling anyone stupid.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 11:17 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Here's the catch: Where was he before the election? Was he asleep on the job as top dog to ensure the safety and security of the software? Should he be held accountable for his negligence of duty? Does he feel guilty now?

No one, including me, said his job was checking on our elections. So he was not asleep on the job. And you and I have no idea of what he was working on.

The fact is he is an expert, a lauded expert, and he says there was fraud.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 11:34 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Why aren’t Purdue and Loeffler being prosecuted for insider trading?

Why weren't Feinstein and Pelosi?
0 Replies

snood

Mon 30 Nov, 2020 11:46 am
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:

From what little I have read regarding the run-off January election, democrats are making less about them(any of them) and more about who control's the senate and the freeze McConnell would put on any legislation going through, including stimulus or urgent legislation, or as is as important, the appointment of federal judges. At least I hope so, if it gets into personalities and accusations, it goes both ways and the main goal gets lost.

Some federal judges plan to retire when Trump exits. Will Biden be able to replace them?

I wasn’t talking about the runoff. I wasn’t thinking about the runoff, or Democratic strategy, or what should be the priorities of democrats moving forward. I was specifically referring to those two senators because it is well documented that they illegally traded on insider knowledge, and no one’s even raising the issue. Martha Stewart did five months in prison for doing a fraction of what they did. I was simply wondering why law enforcement is not pursuing them for their open lawlessness.

Saying that it’s not being pursued because it is not the best strategy for an election sort of misses the point. If you don’t know why law enforcement is looking the other way, it’s okay to say “I don’t know” .