monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

giujohn

Sun 19 Feb, 2017 08:03 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

camlok wrote:
"In the United States the right to petition is guaranteed by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, which specifically prohibits Congress from abridging "the right of the people...to petition the Government for a redress of grievances".

Yeah, petitions, they ROCK, sho nuff.

As I recall, NAMBLA collected over 2 million signatures on a petition DEMANDING that all states eliminate all "age of consent" requirements. Either that, or reduce the age to two years old.

Such laws were passed by conservatives who sought to criminalize "love," can't ya see? Typical fascists, sho nuff, trying to take away a person's natural right to speak for himself. Every kid age 2 or above knows how to say "no."

ooh ...Cam, baby...You just been took to school.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 19 Feb, 2017 08:09 pm
I see that they're gunna hire an additional 10,000 ICE agents, eh? If each one of them can just round up 10 illegals a day, then they alone could get rid off another 20 million illegals in only about 6 months!

That should be easy enough. They just drive an armored personnel carrier into a sanctuary city, like East LA, and suddenly jump out with m-16's yelling "Up against the wall, motherfuckers."
giujohn

Sun 19 Feb, 2017 08:16 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

I see that they're gunna hire an additional 10,000 ICE agents, eh? If each one of them can just round up 10 illegals a day, then they alone could get rid off another 20 million illegals in only about 6 months!

****...Put it out on the net that they'll be handing out blanket amnesty and free green cards to the first 1000 through the door (pick a venue in your town) then pull up the buses with ICE ICE BABY!

BAM...10000 down the drain.

(Throw a free taco lunch in the deal)
layman

Sun 19 Feb, 2017 08:18 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

****...Put it out on the net that they'll be handing out blanket amnesty and free green cards to the first 1000 through the door (pick a venue in your town) then pull up the buses with ICE ICE BABY!

Yeah! Great thinkin.

The cheese-eaters like to whine about "breaking up families," but I can't see why. The whole family will be going. Old Hickory already drew up the blueprint for mass emigration a long time back, with his trail of tears, ya know?

Quote:
The Trail of Tears was a series of forced removals of Native American nations from their ancestral homelands in the Southeastern United States to an area west of the Mississippi River that had been designated as Native Territory. The forced relocations were carried out by various government authorities following the passage of the Indian Removal Act in 1830. The relocated people suffered from exposure, disease, and starvation while en route, and more than four thousand died before reaching their various destinations. The removal included members of the Cherokee, Muscogee, Seminole, Chickasaw, and Choctaw nations. The phrase "Trail of Tears" originated from a description of the removal of the Cherokee Nation in 1838.

Like Trump, Andy Jackson knew how to get **** done.
giujohn

Sun 19 Feb, 2017 08:28 pm
I'd federalize the guard and send them to the border with a cash bonus and a one jump in rank for every 100 illegals caught.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sun 19 Feb, 2017 08:39 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

giujohn wrote:

Yeah! Great thinkin.

The cheese-eaters like to whine about "breaking up families," but I can't see why. The whole family will be going. Old Hickory already drew up the blueprint for mass emigration a long time back, with his trail of tears, ya know?

Quote:
The Trail of Tears was a series of forced removals of Native American nations from their ancestral homelands in the Southeastern United States to an area west of the Mississippi River that had been designated as Native Territory. The forced relocations were carried out by various government authorities following the passage of the Indian Removal Act in 1830. The relocated people suffered from exposure, disease, and starvation while en route, and more than four thousand died before reaching their various destinations. The removal included members of the Cherokee, Muscogee, Seminole, Chickasaw, and Choctaw nations. The phrase "Trail of Tears" originated from a description of the removal of the Cherokee Nation in 1838.

Like Trump, Andy Jackson knew how to get **** done.

And just think...Now they will get to ride in a nice comfortable bus across the border...And hell...Really give em that taco lunch...to go!
0 Replies

RABEL222

Sun 19 Feb, 2017 09:02 pm
@blatham,

I dont understand blatham, isent the woman always supposed to walk a pace behind her man?
giujohn

Sun 19 Feb, 2017 09:21 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

I dont understand blatham, isent the woman always supposed to walk a pace behind her man?

Here...Let me explain...In both pictures the woman IS walking behind the man.

You see..Barry is her bitch.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sun 19 Feb, 2017 09:42 pm
@layman,
Deport NAMBLA to Iran.
glitterbag

Sun 19 Feb, 2017 11:45 pm
@wmwcjr,
Sadly, I think they have been there a long time, but they never joined a group because it's the national pastime for some of those big hairy men.
Olivier5

Mon 20 Feb, 2017 01:35 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
There was no such consensus. Only the Dems were certain of winning.
No, that's not correct. Unless you presume all polling enterprises to be Democratic entities. As noted earlier, Trump himself admitted he thought he would lose. Countless Republicans presumed this loss and wrote about it at NRO and Weekly Standard, for example.

So, no more on this with you.

Well, you might as well shut up, because your posts to me are neither here nor their. Your febrility is showing.

What the polters said is irrelevant. Polling is half science half divination anyway, and the issue is NOT about whether or not a Trump victory was predictable. The issue is: what went wrong in the last Dem campaign? Not: what the polsters or you got wrong.
Olivier5

Mon 20 Feb, 2017 02:36 am
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Butting in here, I posted here that I told my ex that I was worried about the outcome. I'm one who was long for Sanders, but changed my mind about his ability to govern re his age and dealing with Washington, and held back my qualms to vote at the end for Clinton. My ex, a guy very interested in various politics, especially US, reassured me knowingly that Clinton would win. I turned out to be right, and I'm mad at myself re where I put my one vote.

Yes, there was a sort of fake bubble of certainty around the Clintonites and in the end we all bought into it.
0 Replies

old europe

Mon 20 Feb, 2017 03:43 am
Look at that, one more anchor over at another ultra-liberal mainstream media outlet doesn't like Trump's attacks on the press:

Quote:
Fox News anchor Chris Wallace warns viewers: Trump crossed the line in latest attack on media

Fox News anchor Chris Wallace cautioned his colleagues and the network's viewers Sunday that President Trump's latest attack on the media had gone too far.

“Look, we're big boys. We criticize presidents. They want to criticize us back, that's fine,” Wallace said Sunday morning on “Fox & Friends.” “But when he said that the fake news media is not my enemy, it's the enemy of the American people, I believe that crosses an important line.”

The “Fox & Friends” anchors had shown a clip of Trump recounting that past presidents, including Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln, had fought with the press. They then asked Wallace whether Trump's fraught relationship with the media was a big deal.

In response, Wallace told his colleagues that Jefferson had also once written the following: “And were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.”

Context was important, Wallace said. All presidents fight with the media, but Trump had taken it a step further in making them out to be “the enemy,” he added.

[...]
blatham

Mon 20 Feb, 2017 03:58 am
@old europe,
Every now and again, Wallace partially redeems himself.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 20 Feb, 2017 04:04 am
Good piece on how the Federal Elections Commission is being stymied by the GOP to prevent even the enforcement of existing laws and regulations on campaign finance.
Quote:
Robert Kelner, a prominent campaign finance lawyer, put it succinctly last year when he told The Washington Post that “we are in an environment in which there has been virtually no enforcement of the campaign finance laws.”

Mitch McConnell, the Senate majority leader, who has bragged about his opposition to campaign finance laws, keeps a close eye on the commission — particularly the members he expects to do his bidding. One of them, Lee Goodman, said in 2015: “Congress set this place up to gridlock. This agency is functioning as Congress intended.”

But in fact, legislative history demonstrates that gridlock was not Congress’s intention. After Watergate, when Americans were outraged by the campaign finance violations of the Nixon administration, Congress established the F.E.C. to enforce the law fairly. The balance of party membership on the commission was seen as its virtue, to prevent partisan enforcement. Commissioners were expected to come to the table in good faith.
NYT
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 20 Feb, 2017 04:12 am
Trump admits what seemed entirely likely...
Quote:
On Sunday, Mr. Trump offered his own clarification, writing on Twitter, “My statement as to what’s happening in Sweden was in reference to a story that was broadcast on @FoxNews concerning immigrants & Sweden.”
NYT
Trump: Reince, who are these people?
Priebus: They're here to give you your morning briefing, Mr President.
Trump: Send them away. I watched Fox last night.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 20 Feb, 2017 04:17 am
NYT headline
Quote:
In the Land of Opera, a Choir for the Tone Deaf

I guess so long as they can draw on a matching tone-deaf audience it could make for a grand evening.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 20 Feb, 2017 04:22 am
Quote:
A Back-Channel Plan for Ukraine and Russia, Courtesy of Trump Associates

...Mr. Flynn is gone, having been caught lying about his own discussion of sanctions with the Russian ambassador. But the proposal, a peace plan for Ukraine and Russia, remains, along with those pushing it: Michael D. Cohen, the president’s personal lawyer, who delivered the document; Felix H. Sater, a business associate who helped Mr. Trump scout deals in Russia; and a Ukrainian lawmaker trying to rise in a political opposition movement shaped in part by Mr. Trump’s former campaign manager Paul Manafort.
NYT
That all seems totally innocent.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 20 Feb, 2017 04:46 am
@Olivier5,
That was a tad rude. But aside from all else, look at what you've just argued:

1) You indicted me for having such high certainty that Clinton would win. It's obviously a fair indictment given that she didn't win.

2) I stated that there was "a broad consensus" on this, though equally mistaken (and I gave examples of that consensus).

3) You responded "There was no such consensus".

4) Then in your post to ossbucco immediately following, you said, "Yes, there was a sort of fake bubble of certainty around the Clintonites and in the end we all bought into it."

blatham

Mon 20 Feb, 2017 04:56 am
What could Pence possibly say to bring any ease of mind to the European leaders he just visited (in order to quell their concerns about Trump)?
Quote:
Diplomats and leaders across Europe had one crucial — if unstated — question for Vice President Pence when he visited Munich and Brussels this weekend: Is he the shadow president or a mere shadow of the president?

And if the mission of Pence’s trip abroad was clear — to reassure worried allies this weekend that, yes, despite what his boss may say, the United States remains committed to the security of Europe and to the historic transatlantic partnership — Pence’s role was anything but.

Although the vice president repeatedly stressed that he was speaking on behalf of President Trump, the two men indeed seemed as though they were separated by an ocean.

Pence offered bland mollifications, forced to calm and cajole European countries that, in the post-Cold War order, until recently never had cause to question the support of the United States. But at a campaign rally Saturday evening in Florida, Trump did the opposite, again criticizing NATO — hours after Pence had extolled its virtues in Munich — and offending yet another ally when he implied that there was a recent terrorist attack in Sweden, one that seemed to exist only in the president’s imagination.
WP
How could Pence's attempts to mollify not go something like this:

"I need you all to really trust what I'm saying here. When my President speaks or writes about your nations, you have to understand that you can't really trust what he is saying."
0 Replies