monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 08:23 am
Quote:
Justice Clarence Thomas’s wife is organizing in support of President Donald Trump’s agenda. And it might make her husband’s life a little complicated.

In an email sent to a conservative listserv on Feb. 13 and obtained by The Daily Beast, Ginni Thomas asked an interesting question: How could she organize activists to push for Trump’s policies?

“What is the best way to, with minimal costs, set up a daily text capacity for a ground up-grassroots army for pro-Trump daily action items to push back against the left’s resistance efforts who are trying to make America ungovernable?” she wrote.
DailyBeast
This far from the first time Ginni has demonstrated her movement conservativism activist bona fides.
And this passage is for georgeob particularly (though I think he may be away on that popular Weekly Standard tour - "Sidewalks that Ronald Reagan's feet actually touched"
Quote:
“But there are some grassroots activists, who seem beyond the Republican party or the conservative movement, who wish to join the fray on social media for Trump and link shields and build momentum,” she wrote.
oralloy

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 08:23 am
@old europe,
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 dropping in for a contentless motivational speech:
"Stay the course. Ignore any criticism. Don't respond to anything. All of this is completely normal."

Well, considering that the Left is babbling a huge amount of gibberish that has nothing behind it other than their own internal hate, YES.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 08:27 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4ynwlxWIAQ3Ii0.jpg
0 Replies

layman

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 08:46 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

It is only done for specific individuals, and only with a lawful court order.

The CIA is prohibited from doing domestic spying. The investigation of domestic law violations, at the federal level, is the job of the FBI. "Probable cause" questions, which are relevant to issuing a search warrant, only apply to domestic crimes.

This is from the CIA 's website, in response to the question "Does the CIA spy on Americans?"

Quote:
By law, the CIA is specifically prohibited from collecting foreign intelligence concerning the domestic activities of US citizens. Its mission is to collect information related to foreign intelligence and foreign counterintelligence. By direction of the president in Executive Order 12333 of 1981 and in accordance with procedures approved by the Attorney General, the CIA is restricted in the collection of intelligence information directed against US citizens. Collection is allowed only for an authorized intelligence purpose; for example, if there is a reason to believe that an individual is involved in espionage or international terrorist activities. The CIA's procedures require senior approval for any such collection that is allowed, and, depending on the collection technique employed, the sanction of the Director of National Intelligence and Attorney General may be required. These restrictions on the CIA have been in effect since the 1970s.

https://www.cia.gov/about-cia/faqs
0 Replies

maporsche

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 08:48 am
@blatham,
I just bought a subscription to the NYT because of this exact tweet.
old europe

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 09:29 am
Is it too early for our English speaking friends to learn the term "Gleichschaltung?"

Quote:
White House Plans to Have Trump Ally Review Intelligence Agencies

WASHINGTON — President Trump plans to assign a New York billionaire to lead a broad review of American intelligence agencies, according to administration officials, an effort that members of the intelligence community fear could curtail their independence and reduce the flow of information that contradicts the president’s worldview.

The possible role for Stephen A. Feinberg, a co-founder of Cerberus Capital Management, has met fierce resistance among intelligence officials already on edge because of the criticism the intelligence community has received from Mr. Trump during the campaign and since he became president. On Wednesday, Mr. Trump blamed leaks from the intelligence community for the departure of Michael T. Flynn, his national security adviser, whose resignation he requested.

[...]

Mr. Bannon and Mr. Kushner, according to current and former intelligence officials and Republican lawmakers, had at one point considered Mr. Feinberg for either director of national intelligence or chief of the Central Intelligence Agency’s clandestine service, a role that is normally reserved for career intelligence officers, not friends of the president. Mr. Feinberg’s only experience with national security matters is his firm’s stakes in a private security company and two gun makers.

[...]

Tensions between the intelligence community and the White House have already played out on several fronts. Before Mr. Flynn was forced out, one of his top aides, Robin Townley, was denied a security clearance by the C.I.A. But distrust of the intelligence community has been building for years in conservative political circles, where the C.I.A. during the Obama administration was seen as heavily politicized.

Representative Steve King, Republican of Iowa, said in a recent interview that some officials in the intelligence community were trustworthy but “not all.”

“People there need to be rooted out,” Mr. King said.

Another Republican lawmaker said that the predominant view at the White House is also that the politicians in the intelligence agencies need to be cleaned out.

[...]
layman

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 09:30 am
Quote:
The only reason the public learned about Flynn’s lie is because someone inside the U.S. government violated the criminal law by leaking the contents of Flynn’s intercepted communications.

Journalists (and all other nongovernmental citizens) can be prosecuted under federal law for disclosing classified information only under the narrowest circumstances; reflecting how serious SIGINT is considered to be, one of those circumstances includes leaking the contents of intercepted communications, as defined by 18 § 798 of the U.S. Code.

That Flynn lied about what he said to Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak was first revealed by Washington Post columnist David Ignatius, who has built his career on repeating what his CIA sources tell him.

In January, CNN reported that Flynn’s calls with the Russians “were captured by routine U.S. eavesdropping targeting the Russian diplomats.” That means that the contents of those calls were “obtained by the processes of communication intelligence from the communications of [a] foreign government,” which in turn means that anyone who discloses them — or reports them to the public — is guilty of a felony under the statute.

Gen. Flynn has many enemies throughout the intelligence and defense community. The same is true, of course, of Donald Trump; recall that just a few weeks ago, Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer warned Trump that he was being “really dumb” to criticize the intelligence community because “they have six ways from Sunday at getting back at you.”

It’s very possible — I’d say likely — that the motive here was vindictive rather than noble. Whatever else is true, this is a case where the intelligence community, through strategic (and illegal) leaks, destroyed one of its primary adversaries in the Trump White House.”

https://theintercept.com/2017/02/14/the-leakers-who-exposed-gen-flynns-lie-committed-serious-and-wholly-justified-felonies/

That article was written by Glenn Greenwald. He doesn't personally condemn the leaks--he says it's his business to encourage them:

Quote:
From the creation of The Intercept, a central principle of The Intercept [was to]... report on leaks in the public interest.

But he does note that such leaks are felonious, and that journalists can be convicted. I guess the "failing NYT" just gave Trump another club to beat them with, eh?

farmerman

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 09:35 am
@layman,
This entire mindset demonstrates that its more important to "Not be detected" than it is to consider doing the act at all.

If the president staff commits murder, Id be happy that someone dropped a dime (or a megabyte) on them.

This president has **** shooting out from his axial center at the speed of light. Its impossible to keep up with "NOW WHAT"??
farmerman

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 09:40 am
Even though I get depressed at the news and the utter mindless support of this president and his regime, its like a car wreck. I cant stop reading.
I was a young man when Nixon was in his final throes of thugee govt. I thought Id seen everything .

OMG
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 09:40 am
@oralloy,
0ralloy wrote:
I think the denunciation of Nazis is a good thing.

Me too — except that this Israeli soldier isn't a Nazi. To label someone a "Nazi" just because he's critical of the current right-wing government in Israel is incomprehensibly simplistic. Sheesh!
layman

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 09:42 am
@farmerman,
Could be, Farmer.

Either way, Jeff Sessions is busy preparing a felony indictment against Wapo, CNN, the NYT, et al right now.

They done fucked up.

Trump aint gunna take this **** lyin down--they should have learned that by now, but, naaaaaaw....
0 Replies

layman

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 09:53 am
Lest the cheese-eaters forget:

Quote:
The federal criminal charges filed against National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden make it seven times that the Obama administration has used the Espionage Act against government workers who shared information with the press. In at least two instances, the government’s investigations have delved into the practices of reporters and news organizations and put reporters in legal jeopardy.

Jake Tapper asserted to Ruth Marcus of the Washington Post that "the Obama administration has used the Espionage Act to go after whistleblowers who leaked to journalists ... more than all previous administrations combined."

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/jan/10/jake-tapper/cnns-tapper-obama-has-used-espionage-act-more-all-/

In Flynn's case, the term "whistle-blower" isn't appropriate. These leakers are simply Trump and Flynn haters with a political agenda designed to bring Trump down. No doubt hold-overs from the Obama administration.

When the CIA is plotting to overthrow the civil leaders of the government, you know the country is in trouble.
maporsche

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 10:05 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Lest the cheese-eaters forget:

Quote:
The federal criminal charges filed against National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden make it seven times that the Obama administration has used the Espionage Act against government workers who shared information with the press. In at least two instances, the government’s investigations have delved into the practices of reporters and news organizations and put reporters in legal jeopardy.

Jake Tapper asserted to Ruth Marcus of the Washington Post that "the Obama administration has used the Espionage Act to go after whistleblowers who leaked to journalists ... more than all previous administrations combined."

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/jan/10/jake-tapper/cnns-tapper-obama-has-used-espionage-act-more-all-/

In Flynn's case, the term "whistle-blower" isn't appropriate. These leakers are simply Trump and Flynn haters with a political agenda designed to bring Trump down. No doubt hold-overs from the Obama administration.

When the CIA is plotting to overthrow the civil leaders of the government, you know the country is in trouble.

Can I borrow and paraphrase one of the lines that I remember seeing a lot before the election?

"Well, if Flynn didn't lie to the vice president then this leak wouldn't have ever been a problem."

Oooohhh, another....

"If Trump trusts Flynn so much, then show the evidence to refute the facts."
izzythepush

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 10:10 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
incomprehensibly simplistic.

That's Oralloy for you. Not just on Israel either, he's incomprehensibly simplistic across the board.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 10:11 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Justice Clarence Thomas’s wife is organizing in support of President Donald Trump’s agenda. And it might make her husband’s life a little complicated.

In an email sent to a conservative listserv on Feb. 13 and obtained by The Daily Beast, Ginni Thomas asked an interesting question: How could she organize activists to push for Trump’s policies?

Quote:
“What is the best way to, with minimal costs, set up a daily text capacity for a ground up-grassroots army for pro-Trump daily action items to push back against the left’s resistance efforts who are trying to make America ungovernable?” she wrote.
This far from the first time Ginni has demonstrated her movement conservativism activist bona fides.
And this passage is for georgeob particularly
Quote:
“But there are some grassroots activists, who seem beyond the Republican party or the conservative movement, who wish to join the fray on social media for Trump and link shields and build momentum,” she wrote.

Hardly remarkable or even very interesting. Justice Thomas' wife has been active in Republican politics for many years. The effectiveness of the grass roots elements of Trump's campaign (and other movements that preceeded it) this past year was quite obvious, and there is nothing surprising about her interest in sustaining it.

I recognize that you see all such "movements" on the right as arising fron some dark, well funded, secret conspiracy, while those on the left are merely the spontaneous eruptions of well intended civic minded citizens interested only in preserving their freedoms and rights ( along with a few government handouts and government enforced monopolies on public policies and administration).

That you persist in such a paranoid axiomatic belief is a defect to which I am long accustomed, however unrealistic I find it to be.

I haven't been on a tour. Merely less interested. You are getting a bit repititous and appear to be running out of interesting material.
layman

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 10:12 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Can I borrow and paraphrase one of the lines that I remember seeing a lot before the election?

"Well, if Flynn didn't lie to the vice president then this leak wouldn't have ever been a problem."

Well, that's an accurate statement. Notwithstanding radlib attempts to claim that the "Logan Act" is somehow relevant, the experts say that what Flynn did was common. It is customary for transistion team members to communicate with their foreign counter-parts.

Trump took a lot of calls from foreign leaders. No one was talking "Logan Act" then, for good reason--it's inapplicable.
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 10:12 am
Quote:
When the CIA is plotting to overthrow the government, the country is in trouble.

When liars (who might be subject to blackmail) are in positions of power and protected by higher-ups, their exposure and removal only strengthens the credibility of the administration and the security of the country. Why would you want someone like that in a critical intelligence role? I'm more concerned about clueless billionaires taking over the country than I am of the intelligence community.

The Trump cheerleaders have been lauding the historic amount of stuff he's already accomplished. Well, yeah, that travel ban was a big success.

Quote:
At this point in Barack Obama’s presidency, when Democrats controlled Washington, Congress had passed a stimulus bill totaling nearly $1 trillion to address the financial crisis, approved a measure preventing pay discrimination, expanded a children’s health insurance program, and begun laying the groundwork for major health care and financial regulation bills. President George W. Bush came into office with a congressional blueprint for his signature education act, No Child Left Behind.

NYT
0 Replies

layman

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 10:33 am
@layman,
Quote:
..."the Obama administration has used the Espionage Act to go after whistleblowers who leaked to journalists ... more than all previous administrations combined."

It could have been a lot more. But virtually all intelligence leaks during Obama's administration were made in attempts to justify his actions. Needless to say, those leakers weren't prosecuted.
0 Replies

layman

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 10:39 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I haven't been on a tour. Merely less interested. You are getting a bit repititous and appear to be running out of interesting material.

Yeah, George, there's only so many times you can re-read the Communist Manifesto without getting plumb bored, eh?

Not to even mentioned plumb disgusted.
0 Replies

layman

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 10:47 am
The left going after Trump brings to mind the flea who was shouting: "SUFFER, BABY, SUFFER," while "raping" an elephant, eh?

Kinda like a pygmy lookin for a fight with Andre the Giant.

This is gunna be the mother of all beatdowns.
0 Replies