monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

BillRM

Sun 4 Oct, 2020 05:28 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
What's left to say?? Trump is an attention seeking bore who cares zippo about the safety of the American people. Over 2 hundred thousand people have died due to this virus, and clown boy needs to meet his fans. He is out of his mind.

Hell how about the safety of the SS driver and other security in that van!!!!!!!
0 Replies

coluber2001

Sun 4 Oct, 2020 10:19 pm
The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump
by Bandy  Lee, M. D.
©2017

I Wrote The Art of the Deal with Donald Trump
His Self-Sabotage is Rooted in His Past
            by Tony Schwartz

pp. 69-72
Three decades ago, I spent nearly a year hanging around Trump to write his first book, The Art of the Deal, and got to know him very well. I spent hundreds of hours listening to him, watching him in action, and interviewing him about his life.

Early on, I recognized that Trump's sense of self-worth is forever at risk. When he feels aggrieved, he reacts impulsively and defensively, constructing a self-justifying story that doesn't depend on facts and always directs to blame to others.

The Trump I first met in 1985 had lived  nearly all his life in survival mode. By his own description, his father, Fred, was relentlessly, difficult, and driven. Here's how I phrased it in the Art of the Deal: "My father is a wonderful man, but he is also very much a business guy and strong and tough as hell." As Trump saw it, his older brother, Fred Jr., who became an alcoholic and died at age 42, was overwhelmed by his father. Or as I euphemized it in the book:  "There were inevitably confrontations between the two of them. In most cases Freddy came out on the short end."

To survive, I concluded from our conversations, Trump felt compelled to go to war with the world. You either created and exploited fear, or you succumb to it-- as he thought his older brother had. This narrow, defensive outlook took hold at a very early age, and it never evolved. "When I look at myself in the first grade and I look at myself now," he told a recent biographer,  "I'm basically the same." His development essentially ended in early childhood.

Trump was equally clear with me that he didn't value--nor even necessarily recognize--the qualities that tend to emerge as people grow more secure, such as empathy, generosity, reflectiveness, the capacity to delay gratification, or, above all, a conscience, an inner sense of right and wrong.

A key part of that story is that facts are whatever Trump deems them to be on any given day. When he is challenged, he instinctively doubles down--even when what he has just said is demonstrably false.

The Trump I got to know had no deep ideological beliefs, nor any passionate feeling about anything but his immediate self-interest. He derives his sense of significance from conquest and accomplishments. "Can you believe it, Tony?" he would often say after the start of late night conversations with me, going on to describe some new example of his brilliance.

From the very first time I've interviewed him in his office in Trump Tower in 1985, the image I had of trump was that of a black hole. Whatever goes in quickly disappears without a trace. Nothing sustains. It's forever uncertain when someone or something will throw Trump off his precarious perch - - when his self of equilibrium will be threatened and he'll feel an overwhelming compulsion to restore it. Beneath his bluff exterior, I always sensed a hurt, incredibly vulnerable little boy who just wanted to be loved.
coldjoint

Sun 4 Oct, 2020 10:57 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

by Bandy  Lee, M. D.
©2017

I Wrote The Art of the Deal with Donald Trump
His Self-Sabotage is Rooted in His Past
            by Tony Schwartz

pp. 69-72
Three decades ago, I spent nearly a year hanging around Trump to write his first book, The Art of the Deal, and got to know him very well. I spent hundreds of hours listening to him, watching him in action, and interviewing him about his life.

Early on, I recognized that Trump's sense of self-worth is forever at risk. When he feels aggrieved, he reacts impulsively and defensively, constructing a self-justifying story that doesn't depend on facts and always directs to blame to others.

The Trump I first met in 1985 had lived  nearly all his life in survival mode. By his own description, his father, Fred, was relentlessly, difficult, and driven. Here's how I phrased it in the Art of the Deal: "My father is a wonderful man, but he is also very much a business guy and strong and tough as hell." As Trump saw it, his older brother, Fred Jr., who became an alcoholic and died at age 42, was overwhelmed by his father. Or as I euphemized it in the book:  "There were inevitably confrontations between the two of them. In most cases Freddy came out on the short end."

To survive, I concluded from our conversations, Trump felt compelled to go to war with the world. You either created and exploited fear, or you succumb to it-- as he thought his older brother had. This narrow, defensive outlook took hold at a very early age, and it never evolved. "When I look at myself in the first grade and I look at myself now," he told a recent biographer,  "I'm basically the same." His development essentially ended in early childhood.

Trump was equally clear with me that he didn't value--nor even necessarily recognize--the qualities that tend to emerge as people grow more secure, such as empathy, generosity, reflectiveness, the capacity to delay gratification, or, above all, a conscience, an inner sense of right and wrong.

A key part of that story is that facts are whatever Trump deems them to be on any given day. When he is challenged, he instinctively doubles down--even when what he has just said is demonstrably false.

The Trump I got to know had no deep ideological beliefs, nor any passionate feeling about anything but his immediate self-interest. He derives his sense of significance from conquest and accomplishments. "Can you believe it, Tony?" he would often say after the start of late night conversations with me, going on to describe some new example of his brilliance.

From the very first time I've interviewed him in his office in Trump Tower in 1985, the image I had of trump was that of a black hole. Whatever goes in quickly disappears without a trace. Nothing sustains. It's forever uncertain when someone or something will throw Trump off his precarious perch - - when his self of equilibrium will be threatened and he'll feel an overwhelming compulsion to restore it. Beneath his bluff exterior, I always sensed a hurt, incredibly vulnerable little boy who just wanted to be loved.

Did Trump's niece help with this crap?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Sun 4 Oct, 2020 11:12 pm
Statement by President Trump
Aug. 14, 2017
Quote:
As I said on Saturday, we condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry, and violence. It has no place in America.

And as I have said many times before: No matter the color of our skin, we all live under the same laws, we all salute the same great flag, and we are all made by the same almighty God. We must love each other, show affection for each other, and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry, and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans.

Racism is evil. And those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.

We are a nation founded on the truth that all of us are created equal. We are equal in the eyes of our Creator. We are equal under the law. And we are equal under our Constitution. Those who spread violence in the name of bigotry strike at the very core of America.

Can you guys stop the endless stream of bullshit? It only makes you look like a bunch of retarded monkeys flinging ****.
Builder

Sun 4 Oct, 2020 11:20 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Can you guys stop the endless stream of bullshit?

That's like hoping the sun won't rise in the morning.

Quote:
It only makes you look like a bunch of retarded monkeys flinging ****.

That's the look they were hoping for; so all is good in their world.
0 Replies

oristarA

Mon 5 Oct, 2020 12:11 am
The hospitalized Donald J. Trump tweeted 3:51 AM · Oct 5, 2020
Quote:
I really appreciate all of the fans and supporters outside of the hospital. The fact is, they really love our Country and are seeing how we are MAKING IT GREATER THAN EVER BEFORE!

Jeff Tiedrich replied:
Quote:
mister president sir I hope you tip the toady who tweeted this for you an extra twenty bucks this week, he almost has your style down pat

Does "I hope you tip" mean "I hope you are well"? I checked out "tip" in dictionaries and found no clue there.
Sturgis

Mon 5 Oct, 2020 12:41 am
@oristarA,
In this situation, a tip would refer to a financial gratuity. Giving somebody money for having done a service for them.

It was implied that someone had written a tweet for the President and should be rewarded.
oristarA

Mon 5 Oct, 2020 12:54 am
@Sturgis,
Oops! Somehow I read "tip the toady" as "tip today". Odd misreading.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 5 Oct, 2020 02:40 am
@McGentrix,
[quote="McGentrix”]

Can you guys stop the endless stream of bullshit?
[/quote]

Why, what are you going to do, vote for us?

Trump is a racist, his whole presidency is testament to that. Just because you’re stupid enough to believe his bullshit doesn’t mean the rest of us are. If that were the case we’d all still be living in trees.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 5 Oct, 2020 02:46 am
@Builder,
Quote:
All of these never-trumpers have short memories...

So do you, as you still don't understand who the "never-trumpers" are after having it explained to you numerous times. They're Republicans who didn't support him is '16 and continue to oppose him.
Quote:
every exit poll had Clinton winning the election.

By steadily decreasing margins. Polls represent people's opinions at a particular point in time; trends are more important.
Builder

Mon 5 Oct, 2020 02:59 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Polls represent people's opinions at a particular point in time; trends are more important.

So it's like a countdown clock?

And the polls are always down by five days reckoning?

And "trends" are what the media tells people to think?

hightor

Mon 5 Oct, 2020 03:16 am
@Builder,
Quote:
So it's like a countdown clock?

In a simplistic way it is. The election is on a specific date and people's opinions can continue to change until they cast their vote.
Quote:
And the polls are always down by five days reckoning?

No. I don't know where you came up with that idea.
Quote:
And "trends" are what the media tells people to think?

No. That doesn't follow either. What are you going on about? If a halfway intelligent individual sees that a leading candidate's poll numbers are steadily dropping in a close race, they might readjust their previous assumption about the leading candidate's presumed victory.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 5 Oct, 2020 06:14 am
So much for American medicine, Trump is being treated with Dexamethasone, a steroid tested over here. It’s not given to those with mild symptoms either.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 5 Oct, 2020 07:40 am
@izzythepush,
Another unusual feature of Trump's known course of the disease is that he showed symptoms so soon after a first positive test result, even though he is said to have been routinely tested for the corona virus at regular intervals.

The average time between infection and illness is between five and six days. That is why the celebration for the nomination of Amy Coney Barrett as Supreme Court judge last Saturday is also considered a possible superspreading event.

This then raises the question of how reliable the President's testing strategy was.

Much more reliable would be PCR tests that could detect infection with sars-CoV-2 in a study up to six days before the onset of symptoms. But the results are not available within 15 minutes, as is the case with the rapid tests used by the White House. This shows that rapid tests are not a substitute for keeping to distance and hygiene rules and are only of limited use in detecting infection.

But in the White House, a negative rapid test result was apparently sufficient to enable them to attend official meetings - without a mask.
coldjoint

Mon 5 Oct, 2020 08:12 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

So much for American medicine, Trump is being treated with Dexamethasone, a steroid tested over here. It’s not given to those with mild symptoms either.

Can you prove that about the drug? I, for one, do not want to take your word for it.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 5 Oct, 2020 09:09 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
ABSTRACT
[...]
CONCLUSIONS
In patients hospitalized with Covid-19, the use of dexamethasone resulted in lower 28-day mortality among those who were receiving either invasive mechanical ventilation or oxygen alone at randomization but not among those receiving no respiratory support. (Funded by the Medical Research Council and National Institute for Health Research and others; RECOVERY ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT04381936. opens in new tab; ISRCTN number, 50189673. opens in new tab.)
Source
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 5 Oct, 2020 09:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Another unusual feature of Trump's known course of the disease is that he showed symptoms so soon after a first positive test result, even though he is said to have been routinely tested for the corona virus at regular intervals.

The average time between infection and illness is between five and six days. That is why the celebration for the nomination of Amy Coney Barrett as Supreme Court judge last Saturday is also considered a possible superspreading event.

This then raises the question of how reliable the President's testing strategy was.

Much more reliable would be PCR tests that could detect infection with sars-CoV-2 in a study up to six days before the onset of symptoms. But the results are not available within 15 minutes, as is the case with the rapid tests used by the White House. This shows that rapid tests are not a substitute for keeping to distance and hygiene rules and are only of limited use in detecting infection.

But in the White House, a negative rapid test result was apparently sufficient to enable them to attend official meetings - without a mask.

Trump is a disgusting, dangerous moron. The next time he takes a ride in a sealed car for no good reason, he should be required to be accompanied by Ivanka, Mitch McConnell, and Linsey Graham...and his WH doctor.

That might cut down on those kinds of rides.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 5 Oct, 2020 09:16 am
Trump didn’t have time to learn about the coronavirus in March. Seven months later, the virus cleared his schedule.
Quote:
[...]
Woodward wanted to know how much of Fauci's lengthy expertise on diseases like covid-19, the one caused by the coronavirus, had been imparted to the president.

“Have you ever sat down alone with him and gotten a tutorial—” Woodward began.

Trump jumped in.

“Yes, I guess,” he said, “but honestly there’s not a lot of time for that, Bob. This is a busy White House. This is a busy White House. We’ve got a lot of things happening. And then this came up.”

“This” referred to the pandemic that would go on to kill more than 208,000 more people and infect another 7.3 million.

One of that latter group was Trump himself, who was confirmed to have contracted the virus last week. This turn of events didn’t come as much of a surprise: Trump’s lackadaisical approach to his own exposure to the virus was a microcosm of his full-throated effort to get the country at large to consider the pandemic as a remnant of the past or, at least, as a minor nuisance. The president’s refusal to regularly wear a mask both increased his own risk and sent a message to other Americans that they should hold face coverings in similar disdain. There’s little question that Trump’s view of masks drove a partisan divide on the subject — and probably contributed to red states’ emergence as hotbeds of new cases during the summer surge.
... ... ...
0 Replies

coluber2001

Mon 5 Oct, 2020 09:47 am
by Bandy  Lee, M. D.
©2017

Trump's Trust Deficit is the Core Problem.
by Gail Sheehy, PH. D.

pp. 75-81
The fundamental Bedrock of human development is the formation of a capacity to trust, absorbed by children between birth and 18 months. Donald Trump has boasted of his total lack of trust: "People are too trusting. I'm a very untrusting guy." "I hire the best people, and don't trust them." "The world is a vicious and brutal place. Even your friends are out to get you: they want your job, your money, your wife."

Leon Panetta, former CIA director and defense Chief under Clinton, stated on Fox Business channel in February 2017, "The coin of the realm for any president is trust - trust of the American people in the credibility of the president." In the nearly two years that Dohnald Trump has been in our face almost daily, he has sown mistrust in all his Republican rivals, alienated much of a conservative Republican block he needs in the house for legislative success, ignored Congressional Democrats, and viciously insulted Democrat leaders, calling them Liars, clowns, stupid, and incompetent, and condemning Barack Obama as "sick" and Hillary Clinton as "the devil. When he represents the people abroad, his belligerent behavior and disrespect for leaders of our closest allies rips apart the comity and peacekeeping pledges built over decades. Yet, he never hesitates to congratulate despots, such as turkeys Erdogan, Egypt's General Sisi, and, most lavishly of all, Russia's Putin.

A leader who does not trust his subordinates cannot Inspire trust.

In the course of his first 100 days, Trump appeared to be increasingly out of touch with the reality in which the majority of us live. His pathological propensity to lie is not the worst of it – his monomaniacal attachment to his lies is, such as the transparent one in his March 4th Twitterstorm accusing President Obama of putting a tap on his phone. It raises the question: Is this President floating in his own alternate reality?

Dr. Robert Jay lifton, the eminent former professor of Psychiatry at Yale University and today at Columbia University, elaborated in a follow-up interview, "Trump creates his own extreme manipulation of reality. He insists that his spokesmen defend his false reality as normal. He then expects the rest of society to accept it - despite the lack of any evidence." This leads to what Lifton calls "malignant normality" - in other words, the gradual acceptance by a public inundated with toxic untruths of those untruths until they pass for normal.

Dr. James F. Gilligan is a psychiatrist and author who has studied the motivations between violent Behavior over his 25 years of work in the America prison system. "If we psychiatrists who have experience in assessing dangerousness, if we give passive permission to our president to proceed in his delusions, we are shrinking our responsibility", Gilligan said. Today a senior clinical professor of Psychiatry at NYU School of Medicine, Gilligan told Doctor Lees Town Hall attendees, "I don't think Trump is Hitler or Mussolini, but he's no more normal than Hitler."

We don't have to rely on psychiatrists to see that this President is not consistent in his thinking or reliably attached to reality. We have had vastly more exposure to Donald Trump's observable behavior, his writing and speaking, than any psychiatrist would have after listening to him for years. It is therefore up to us, the American public, to call him on it.

To the dismay of even conservative observers, Trump appears totally indifferent to the truth. Time Magazine gave Trump an opportunity to clarify his refusal to correct his long string of falsehoods. What the March 23 interview produced instead was an astonishing revelation of his thinking: he states what he wants to be true. If his statement is proven false, he is unfazed, and confidently predict that the facts will catch up with his belief: "I'm a very instinctual person, but my instinct turns out to be right." Even when the top sleuth in the country, FBI director James Comey, condemned Trump as a fabulist, Trump ignored the public rebuke and bragged about his ability to persuade millions of his paranoid version of Obama as "sick" and surreptitiously spying on him.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 5 Oct, 2020 10:17 am
As well as ongoing protests over a disputed election result in the former Soviet Republic of Belarus, there’s similar protests in the former Soviet Republic of Kyrgyzstan.
0 Replies