monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Builder

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 03:13 am
@MontereyJack,
Dozens of threads about it, but they pollute this one.
MontereyJack

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 03:37 am
@Builder,
FOR ONCE WE AGREE,
Builder

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 03:57 am
@MontereyJack,
It's 2020; wonders will never cease.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 03:57 am
@MontereyJack,
montereyjack wrote:
another 9/11 truther.

Another??

Clearly this is JTT back again under a new ID.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 04:00 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
Dozens of threads about it, but they pollute this one.

This is after all a general thread for any sort of nonsense.

JTT is insane, but I don't see that you have much of a case that he is off topic here.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 04:23 am
@unable2know,
unable2know wrote:
WTC7 could not have collapsed - the NYTs is lying and they know they are lying.

You're the one who was throwing the NYT around as a source earlier, not me.

That said, WTC7 can and did collapse due to the fire that was raging there for hours.

unable2know wrote:
Vaporized steel means there were no Muslim hijackers, except possibly as patsies.

There was no vaporized steel.

unable2know wrote:
Thousands of murdered Americans means nothing to any of you, does it?

It means the war on terror is justified. Every single thermobaric drone strike is 100% justified.

You wanna talk searing temperatures. Ask the terrorists how hot it gets inside a thermobaric fireball.

unable2know wrote:
Of course millions of murdered Iraqis, Afghans, ... NEVER mean anything to any of you, right?

Hardly millions, and hardly murder.
0 Replies

jcboy

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 06:52 am
This was the most disturbing moment of the night. To tell an extremist, racist militia to stand by. Unreal. Disgraceful and disgusting.
Proud Boys celebrate online after Trump's debate 'stand back and stand by' comment

Quote:
The far-right group the Proud Boys celebrated Tuesday night after President Trump refused to denounce white supremacy and mentioned them during the first presidential debate.
justaguy2

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 07:21 am
@coldjoint,
Ok pinky, you asked, and while I really should just tell you to go and get stuffed, I'll entertain you (well, actually I don't think you will be "entertained" for the record)...

Putin's own words wrote:
Russian President Vladimir Putin said Monday he wanted President Donald Trump to win the 2016 election because he believed Trump's policies would be more friendly to the Kremlin.

"Yes, I did. Yes, I did. Because he talked about bringing the U.S.-Russia relationship back to normal,” Putin said, standing alongside Trump at a joint news conference.

...and there's even a video of Putin himself too in that same article.

And here's the source my pinky friend (alright, the "friend" part was pure sarcasm). Wink

PS: "unable2know" calling yellow cake a liar, and 3+ pages of it... that's comical... I DO agree with pinky on that point Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PS again: this was the first time I've ever up voted pinky too!
McGentrix

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 07:33 am
@justaguy2,
So you want a war between Russia and the US?

Why would you be opposed to normal relations between the US and Russia? How about China? Do you think the US should have normal relations with China?

What countries should the US have abnormal relations with?
justaguy2

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 07:56 am
@McGentrix,
Can you please tell me where I said anything about "wanting to see a war between the US and Russia", or "a war between the US and China" ???

I never said any such thing, and I believe you know it McGentrix.

I said that Putin wanted trump to win the US presidential elections. pinky asked for proof of that. I've now provided that proof. That's it. Case closed.

Why are you reading anymore into it than that McGentrix?
izzythepush

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 08:12 am
@justaguy2,
Certain people can only think in extremes, if the American President isn’t blindly obeying Putin the only alternative has to be war.

They can’t see anything in the middle.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 08:14 am
Trump-Biden Debate Prompts Shock, Despair and, in China, Glee
Quote:
The chaos of the event has left allies and rivals alike questioning the state of American democracy and the country’s place on the global stage.

BRUSSELS — The unedifying spectacle of Tuesday night’s presidential debate produced some shock, some sadness and some weariness among American allies and rivals alike on Wednesday.

As President Trump bellowed, blustered and shouted down both the moderator, Chris Wallace, and his opponent, former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., and as Mr. Biden responded by calling Mr. Trump a “clown,” many wondered if the chaos and tenor of the event said something more fundamental about the state of American democracy.

“Of course, the ultimate arbiter will be the American voter,” said Ulrich Speck, an analyst with the German Marshall Fund in Berlin. “But there is a consensus in Europe that this is getting out of hand, and this debate is an indicator of the bad shape of the American democracy.”

There was always a sense among allies that in America, despite political disagreement, “there is one republic, and conflict will be solved by debate and compromise,” and “that power was married to some kind of morality,” Mr. Speck said.

But that view is now being questioned, he said. “The debate was really no debate at all, but two people pursuing their strategies.”

Many, if not most, European analysts blamed Mr. Trump for the mess.

“The debate was a joke, a low point, a shame for the country,” Markus Feldenkirchen of the German newsmagazine Der Spiegel posted on Twitter. “Roaring, insults, two over-70s who interrupt each other like 5-year-olds — and a moderator who loses all control. The trigger, of course: Trump’s uncouth, undignified behavior.”

John Sawers, a former British diplomat and head of a risk analysis firm, said simply: “My own response is that it makes me despondent about America. The country we have looked to for leadership has descended into an ugly brawl.”

Jeremy Shapiro, a former American diplomat who is now research director of the European Council on Foreign Relations, said that foreigners would probably view the debate “as another sign of the degradation of American democracy,” as some Americans do. The debate will not change foreign opinions of Mr. Trump or Mr. Biden, he said, but underneath the spectacle is something more troubling.

Both allies and rivals “see Trump and the political culture that created him heralding the decline of American democracy and American culture,” Mr. Shapiro said. That judgment, he added, is “only heightened by the coronavirus response, not just American absence in global leadership but the striking incompetence in dealing with it at home.”

The coarseness of the debate will resonate abroad, Mr. Shapiro said. “Biden on that stage calling the president of the United States a clown and a liar is not something Biden would have done four years ago under any circumstances,” he said. “That he felt he has to do it is a sign to outsiders that American culture is in a cycle of decline.”

Thomas Gomart, director of the French Institute of International Relations, said that the debate strengthened the impression “that the United States has retreated from the global stage and withdrawn into itself.” Mr. Trump, he said, “has explicitly walked away from the position of a global leader, and Joe Biden may be implicitly doing so, too.”

Mr. Gomart said the debate showed the deep partisanship of today’s America, even in the face of the pandemic. “Those two men are from the same generation, from the same world,” he said. “And yet they are the two faces of a deeply polarized society.”

That view was shared by Nicole Bacharan, a French-American historian and political analyst who lives in France. She said she was “dismayed,” by what she saw in the debate, adding: “It sent a depressing image of the United States, of the American democracy and its role in the world.”

The events seem bound to heighten European anxieties, Ms. Bacharan said. “European leaders must have woken up this morning thinking, ‘The American leadership is over, and for a while, even if Biden is elected and tried to rebuild what Trump has destroyed,’” she said.

The damage that has been done to trans-Atlantic relations, will at best take years to repair, she added.

“The truth is, the European leaders feel alone because they know that what Trump has dismantled cannot be rebuilt so quickly and so easily,” she said. “As for the others, Putin, Bolsonaro, Erdogan, they must be telling themselves what we already knew: They can do everything, because the U.S. isn’t a leader anymore.”

That was certainly the quick view in China, where official reaction was careful but that of the Global Times, a Communist Party propaganda sheet, was gleeful.

Hu Xijin, the paper’s editor, said that Mr. Trump and Mr. Biden “obviously did not show an exemplary role to American people on how to engage in debates.” He added: “Such a chaos at the top of U.S. politics reflects division, anxiety of U.S. society and the accelerating loss of advantages of the U.S. political system.”

Foreign policy was barely mentioned in the debate, but China has been a regular target during the campaign on topics as varied as the coronavirus pandemic and trade. Wang Wenbin, a spokesman for the Chinese Foreign Ministry, said on Wednesday that the government “resolutely opposes” efforts to involve China in the U.S. election and that accusations leveled against Beijing during the debate were “groundless and untenable.”

Others weighed in on Chinese social media platforms, saying that the debate had left them puzzled and amused. One user said that Mr. Trump’s frequent interruptions of Mr. Biden lent a “comedic feel” to what should have been a serious discussion, while another compared the debate to a quarrel at a vegetable market.

In Singapore, which prides itself on technocratic governance and a careful form of democracy, Bilahari Kausikan, a former ambassador, dismissed the presidential debate as political theater.

“Debate? What debate?” he asked. “The event was not intended to change minds or elucidate issues. It was only a form of entertainment which did credit to neither the incumbent nor the challenger. It encapsulates all that has gone wrong with American politics.”

In Japan, a debate earlier this month among three candidates seeking the job of prime minister was a staid — if not downright sleepy — contrast to the fireworks of the Trump-Biden face-off.

The Japanese are sophisticated viewers of American politics, and Mr. Trump is a known quantity, but the tone of this debate still came as something of a shock. Many were taken aback when Mr. Biden told Mr. Trump at one point to “shut up, man,” said Ichiro Fujisaki, a former Japanese ambassador to the United States. “If the president says that, everyone takes it as natural,” he added, “but for a decent man like Biden to say that is a bit of a surprise.”

Mr. Trump has fans in Japan. A tweet about the debate proclaiming that it “looks like Trump will get re-elected, almost certainly” was liked about 9,000 times and retweeted 1,000 times. Another social media post questioned NHK, the public broadcaster, for cutting out “the bad scenes of Biden” and said the editors “intentionally mistranslated Trump’s remarks.”

Yujin Yaguchi, a professor of American Studies at the University of Tokyo, said that English-language students in Japan often watched presidential debates to study speech technique. “What we saw today is just not usable,” Mr. Yaguchi said politely. “Most people in Japan would be dismayed by the mudslinging style of the debate.”

Mr. Fujisaki said that the reaction of Japanese people would have to wait for the results. Invoking a diplomatic joke, he compared the election to a Christmas gift.

“You don’t say anything until Christmas Day, and when you open the box you cry out, ‘This is just what I wanted!’” he said. “If Mr. Trump is re-elected, we say, ‘We are looking forward to working with you for four more years,’ and if it’s Mr. Biden we say, ‘Oh, we were waiting for you.’”
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 08:38 am
Is anyone else suddenly getting critical error messages when they post a reply?

The reply still gets posted despite the error message.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 08:39 am
@oralloy,
Disappeared after reloading
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 08:40 am
@oralloy,
But afterwards, I'm on the (old) reply page again.
0 Replies

justaguy2

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 08:41 am
@izzythepush,
Yep, ain't that the truth...

Honestly, this year is the most strange and insane year I've ever lived in (and I'm not even in my 20's, let alone younger than that either), and it isn't over yet. If this is the "new normal", this world is surely fucked...
izzythepush

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 10:53 am
@justaguy2,
The debating style on A2K has really gone down in the last four years. It wasn’t exactly that highbrow beforehand, but it was never as crude.
coldjoint

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 11:05 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

This was the most disturbing moment of the night. To tell an extremist, racist militia to stand by. Unreal. Disgraceful and disgusting.
Proud Boys celebrate online after Trump's debate 'stand back and stand by' comment

Quote:
The far-right group the Proud Boys celebrated Tuesday night after President Trump refused to denounce white supremacy and mentioned them during the first presidential debate.

What cities have the Proud Boys burned down? How many stores have they looted? How many deaths are they responsible for?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 11:05 am
Vatican official accuses Trump administration of exploiting pope
Quote:
Pope Francis reportedly declined to meet Mike Pompeo during his visit this week, citing closeness of US presidential election

A top Vatican official has accused Donald Trump’s administration of exploiting Pope Francis in the final stages of the US presidential election campaign.

The US secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, spoke at a conference on religious freedom on Wednesday organised by the US embassy to the Holy See during his visit to Italy.

When the Italian news agency Ansa asked Archbishop Paul Richard Gallagher, the Vatican’s secretary for relations with states, if the US unilaterally organising the event amounted to exploitation of the pope in the run-up to the elections, he replied: “Yes, that is precisely why the pope will not meet American secretary of state Mike Pompeo.”

Pope Francis reportedly declined to meet Pompeo during his visit this week, citing the closeness of the US election. But the move was also likely to be linked to The details of the deal have never been made public, but it gave the Vatican a say in the appointment of Catholic bishops in China. Pope Francis also recognised eight bishops that had been appointed by Beijing without his approval. recent attacks on the Vatican’s perceived soft-pedalling on China’s human rights record as the two sides prepare to extend a historic agreement signed two years ago.

The details of the deal have never been made public, but it gave the Vatican a say in the appointment of Catholic bishops in China. Pope Francis also recognised eight bishops that had been appointed by Beijing without his approval.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Wed 30 Sep, 2020 11:39 am

enjoy Colbert...

0 Replies