monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

coldjoint

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 01:57 pm
I bet Schumer wants that tweet removed. He posted the meme with it.
Quote:
Chuck Schumer
@SenSchumer
·
Feb 22, 2016
Attn GOP: Senate has confirmed 17 #SCOTUS justices in presidential election years. #DoYourJob

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cb3WzlmW0AAUhhY?format=jpg&name=small
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 02:19 pm
Quote:
Ginsburg In 2016: ‘Nothing In The Constitution’ Prevents Final Year SCOTUS Picks

Quote:
The late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg in 2016 said “nothing in the Constitution” prevents a president from nominating to fill a court seat.

Ginsburg was reacting to the upcoming fight over a replacement for her friend and colleague Justice Antonin Scalia, who passed away. Then-President Barack Obama had nominated Judge Merrick Garland to fill Scalia’s seat only to be denied a Senate hearing by Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

“I think he is about as well qualified as any nominee to this court,” Ginsburg said of Garland, according to a July 2016 report from The New York Times. “Super bright and very nice, very easy to deal with. And super prepared. He would be a great colleague.”

https://dailycaller.com/2020/09/19/ruth-bader-ginsburg-supreme-court-pick-2016/
snood

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 02:50 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Yeah I understand. What could anyone really say to defend being pals with a bunch of Trumpers?

This exchange saddens me. Well maybe that's an exaggeration, but I find it troubling. Well maybe that's an exaggeration, too. Look, I don't know you guys but I respect you both and I think Snood should cut Frank a little slack here. I think Frank's saying that the only time he spends with these people is on the golf course. Playing golf with a person isn't really like having a close friendship with someone. I've heard of ballplayers who practically hated each other off the diamond but managed to overcome their personal feelings and work together on the field. I don't think it's healthy to live life as 'all politics all the time'.

Ok Hightor. I’ll cut him some slack (or leave the subject alone), not ‘cause you
suggested it, but just because the hypocrisy is baked in like brick and I don’t want to beat my head against it.

But just for the record, he didn’t say the only time he hangs out with Trump supporters was golfing. His original statement was something like “practically all my friends and golfing partners are American conservatives.”.I think people of conscience have had real issues and changes in their relationships with people after they voted for and still support Trump. I think it’s air-headed and arrogant to think that one can just float above all that.

Maybe people whose privilege allows them to live without being affected by the Trump plague don’t have to worry about things like that. I just don’t happen to have that luxury. And if you don’t understand that it’s not my job to educate you.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 03:31 pm
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 03:40 pm
https://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/gv091820dAPR20200918074507.jpg
MontereyJack

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 03:41 pm
@coldjoint,
And om spite pf what she said, Republicans blocked Garland from consideration, enabling trump to pack scotus with extreme conservative justices. They disregarded her and set a precedent. Justice is NOT blind under republicans, but tilted very very far to one side. That's not good for justice or the country.
coldjoint

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 03:44 pm
https://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/stg091420dAPR20200913104509.jpg
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 03:45 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
And in spite of what she said, Republicans blocked Garland from consideration, enabling trump to pack scotus with extreme conservative justices.

Come on now. Justices who uphold the Constitution are hardly extreme.

MontereyJack wrote:
They disregarded her and set a precedent.

The precedent was set by the Democrats when they blocked W's nominees in 2007-08.

Now that the Republicans have taken adequate revenge, it's time to move on.

MontereyJack wrote:
Justice is NOT blind under republicans, but tilted very very far to one side. That's not good for justice or the country.

Hardly tilted. Republicans appoint judges who uphold the Constitution. That is very good for justice and for the country.
coldjoint

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 03:47 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

And om spite pf what she said, Republicans blocked Garland from consideration, enabling trump to pack scotus with extreme conservative justices. They disregarded her and set a precedent. Justice is NOT blind under republicans, but tilted very very far to one side. That's not good for justice or the country.

Both of Trump's appointees have sided with the liberal judges. That shoots your extreme bullshit down. Try the truth for God's sake.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 03:53 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
I'm sure Cj and Ollie are having the time of their life thanks to Frank and Snood.

I'm not paying much attention. I have no idea what they are even arguing about, so I am just skimming past their argument to the posts that I'm interested in replying to.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 03:55 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
There ya go, Frank. You know you're in the right if coldjoint's defending you.

Your intended sarcasm is actually true. Coldjoint is one of the good guys.
MontereyJack

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 04:55 pm
@oralloy,
The problem is the conservatives are not so much upholding the constitution as rewriting what it has always meant. Heller is a good example. We;ve had far too long a period with conservative revisionism. No more. Hold hearings, but no vote til after the election, and then vote on biden-s nominee. Susan Collins won't go along with a pre-election vote. get romney and maybe murkowski and a republican senator or two with an actual functioning conscience and things can go right. Vote blue.
MontereyJack

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 04:56 pm
@oralloy,
nonsense.
MontereyJack

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 05:00 pm
@coldjoint,
truyh always hurts republicans. Slavery was the linchpin of the u.s. econo my til the civil war. systemic racism still is therefar too often. Trumpian blindness cannot eradicate the fact, nor can stupid racist cartoons.
oralloy

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 05:09 pm
@MontereyJack,
Don't be silly. It's always the progressives who freak out when people tell the truth.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 05:10 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
nonsense.

Not nonsense. Coldjoint always speaks out in favor of truth and justice.

It's the progressives who commit atrocities.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 05:20 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
The problem is the conservatives are not so much upholding the constitution as rewriting what it has always meant.

That is incorrect. Progressives are the only people who do that.

MontereyJack wrote:
Heller is a good example.

While the conservatives only upheld part of the Second Amendment in Heller, the conservatives did not rewrite anything. The right to keep and bear arms has always included people having guns for private self defense.

The only people who disregarded the Constitution in Heller were the progressives.

MontereyJack wrote:
We've had far too long a period with conservative revisionism. No more.

That is incorrect. Progressives are the only revisionists here.

MontereyJack wrote:
Hold hearings, but no vote til after the election, and then vote on biden's nominee. Susan Collins won't go along with a pre-election vote. get romney and maybe murkowski and a republican senator or two with an actual functioning conscience and things can go right. Vote blue.

If the Democrats gain total control over the entire government this November, then the Republicans should make a deal and let Mr. Biden appoint RBG's replacement in exchange for the Democrats not expanding the number of seats on the court.

If the Republicans still hold either the White House or the Senate after the election though, then no. Ram through Mr. Trump's nominee in a lame duck session no matter how loudly the Democrats squeal in outrage.
0 Replies

engineer

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 07:24 pm
@MontereyJack,
It seems to me there is one republican who absolutely should want to wait for after the election, Trump. If there is an open seat, all those conservatives will have to turn out. If the seat is filled they really don't need Trump anymore.
coldjoint

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 07:27 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

It seems to me there is one republican who absolutely should want to wait for after the election, Trump. If there is an open seat, all those conservatives will have to turn out. If the seat is filled they really don't need Trump anymore.

Either way the Democrats lose. Another conservative judge will stop the judicial activism for 30 years.
MontereyJack

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 07:49 pm
@coldjoint,
the judicial activism is on the part of republican justices, which is why it is imperative that all the people who make up biden's continuing lead show up and vote, and the trump nominee be filibustered if that's what it takes.