monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

cicerone imposter

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:50 pm
@camlok,
I agree because of how voter ballots are controlled independently.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 03:08 pm
Typically smart Ed Kilgore column
Quote:
Trump’s Lawyer Knew Flynn Was Lying. Why Did Nothing Happen?
NYMag
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 03:12 pm
By the way, how utterly hilarious is it that the WH is claiming Flynn was fired for being deceitful.
camlok

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 03:17 pm
@blatham,
ironic and hypocritical also come to mind.
blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 03:26 pm
Conway tells @BuzzFeedNews someone else was using her account when it RT'd a white nationalist today story here

There's no pass code on her phone? She let's all sorts of people use her phone and gave them all the pass code? And her twitter password?

As Yglesias prudently advises "Never give Jeff Sessions your password"

But I'm sure she's being truthful. Honesty is really important to her.

0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 03:27 pm
@camlok,
what did the president know and when did he know it??

HOLY ****!!! You realize who's in the wings??
blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 03:29 pm
@camlok,
I think we're going to have to have a new term where we've used "hypocrisy" up until now. A word that really jacks up the amperage. A language ought to serve the needs of the times.
camlok

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 03:31 pm
@blatham,
I agree. The best I can presently offer is "hypocrisy to the Nth power".
McGentrix

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 03:33 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I think we're going to have to have a new term where we've used "hypocrisy" up until now. A word that really jacks up the amperage. A language ought to serve the needs of the times.

You guys aren't THAT bad. But, let me know what you come up with.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 03:35 pm
@camlok,
hypocrisyn

Well, that won't do, we'll have to work up a better logo.

at least, hypocrisynth
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 03:40 pm
@camlok,
my vote is for "double-dealing shitgibbonism"
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 03:44 pm
@farmerman,
Trump's circle is getting mighty thin - or convoluted.
A little old, but it foretold of what was going to happen.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/93981960/?client=safari
0 Replies

old europe

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 04:17 pm
Quote:
Trump’s Lawyer Knew Flynn Was Lying. Why Did Nothing Happen?

The two rationalizations we are already hearing from the Trump defenders about the Michael Flynn-Russia fiasco are that he’s the victim of some sort of media and intelligence-community sting that he was too naïve to avoid, and that, conversely, he’s a bad dude who misled Mike Pence and other Trump pooh-bahs, so he’s gone and it’s “time to move on.”

But the trouble with either effort to avoid deeper questions about Flynn’s communications with Russians is that Obama administration officials knew Flynn was lying about the contacts and their content, and informed the Trump White House. Specifically, shortly before she was fired for her refusal to defend Trump’s travel ban in court, Acting attorney general Sally Yates told White House counsel Donald McGahn that a routine FBI tap on Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak had turned up one conversation that most definitely included discussion of the Obama’s administration’s impending sanctions on Russia for its interference in the U.S. election. Flynn would continue to lie about whether this conversation had occurred, before backtracking and admitting it but denying sanctions were discussed, and then pleading general amnesia before the hammer came down.

[...]

The White House Counsel knew, for weeks, that Flynn was lying. He either completely failed at his job to inform the President and should probably be fired, or Trump was informed weeks ago that Flynn lied about his conversations with the Russians and was fine with that lie until it became public.
revelette1

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 04:31 pm
@old europe,
I'm sort of amazed all of them are not acting as though Flynn did nothing wrong and the media is just out to get them over nothing. The covering up and finger pointing is more suspicious than anything else.
McGentrix

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 04:39 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

The White House Counsel knew, for weeks, that Flynn was lying. He either completely failed at his job to inform the President and should probably be fired, or Trump was informed weeks ago that Flynn lied about his conversations with the Russians and was fine with that lie until it became public.

That's it? A or B? Huh, didn't realize law was so binary like that.
old europe

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 04:46 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
That's it? A or B? Huh, didn't realize law was so binary like that.

It's not about the law, McGentrix.

It's specifically about whether Trump knew that Flynn was lying, or didn't know about it.

I'm not sure what other options you think might exist.
blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 05:01 pm
@old europe,
Quote:
or Trump was informed weeks ago that Flynn lied about his conversations with the Russians and was fine with that lie until it became public.

And if that was the case then Trump has lied about not knowing which is what he has claimed.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 05:03 pm
@old europe,
A perfect example of "Trump Can't Ever Win!"

It's a position that is impossible to consider seriously

Flynn lied to Pence.

Flynn had to go.

Flynn resigned.

Somehow in this sequence there is evidence that Trump is the worst person on earth, because it didn't happen instantaneously from the second Flynn talked to a Russian. Rolling Eyes

cicerone imposter

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 05:04 pm
@blatham,
I'm prone not to trust Trump.
blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 05:08 pm
Quote:
The strongest support for Flynn came from Moscow on Tuesday morning.
DailyBeast
There's a feather in the man's cap.
0 Replies