monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

McGentrix

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 01:17 pm
@maporsche,
I have no doubt in the world that you don't find her cheating at debates, getting the media to be her lapdog or a continual spew of lies to be at all damning.

I mean it was Hillary, right? That **** is just oil for the machine.
camlok

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 01:18 pm
@McGentrix,
I don't think it's possible, literally or in a pragmatic sense, for anyone to "hack an election", at least in the manner you describe. I may be mistaken.

I'm not sure who "them" is that might warrant a "train of disgust".
maporsche

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 01:25 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

I have no doubt in the world that you don't find her cheating at debates,

Oh, you mean that ONE question about that one issue that everyone and their mother predicted would be asked of Hillary?

Here's the question, which was asked in the middle of the Flint crisis. You really think Hillary wouldn't be prepared to answer this question? The debate was IN FLINT, MI for crissakes. She was going to be caught off guard by a woman asking if Clinton would fix the lead problem in Flint and elsewhere. When Clinton had said several times in speeches to citizens in Flint that she indeed would.

“After my family, the city of Flint and the children in D.C. were poisoned by lead, will you make a personal promise to me right now that, as president, in your first 100 days in office, you will make it a requirement that all public water systems must remove all lead service lines throughout the entire United States, and notification made to the — the citizens that have said service lines?”

Quote:
getting the media to be her lapdog or a continual spew of lies

You and I just disagree that this stuff happened the way you propose.
McGentrix

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 01:28 pm
@maporsche,
Right, "Alternate truths" right? Wink
maporsche

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 01:30 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Give me an example and we can see if the truth can be determined. It not always can.
McGentrix

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 01:32 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

Give me an example and we can see if the truth can be determined. It not always can.

Let me know when you find one you can say wasn't a lie...

https://www.google.com/search?q=hillary+lies&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 01:41 pm
@McGentrix,
I've read the Craig Murray story but I haven't seen it confirmed by any source which could be considered "objective". The "whistleblower" story didn't check out and no, Sputnik doesn't qualify as an objective source. It's one thing to accuse the DNC or the press of sloppiness or laziness but the intelligence community didn't appear to have much difficulty convincing high ranking Republicans that there certainly was a Russian connection.
Quote:
I know I certainly didn't see a train of disgust from you regarding them. So which is more important, the message or the messenger?

I wasn't active here when the content of those e-mails was revealed but I really don't think anyone is under any illusions about the reality of political campaigns and the hardball that is played. The "message" in this case merely served to confirm most people's low expectations — hardly anything earthshaking, just more of it. Did you think Dems were going to recoil in horror and back Trump?

What was a surprise was Trump's admiration for and support of Putin, the Manafort connection, Flynn leading a standing ovation for Putin in Moscow, and the close relationship between the Republicans and Assange. This was a "man bites dog" story that exposed something we had never seen before. And despite Trump's attempts to make the story go away it had legs — and consequences. We're not talking about dirty dealings by party hacks — we're looking at dishonesty at the highest levels of our security apparatus.
camlok

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:02 pm
@hightor,
"It's one thing to accuse the DNC or the press of sloppiness or laziness but the intelligence community didn't appear to have much difficulty convincing high ranking Republicans that there certainly was a Russian connection."
=========

Don't you think that that's a really bad metric to base any rational decision on.

Those are the things that led to the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan, the overthrow of the Ukraine government.
blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:04 pm
@farmerman,
In this case, what is being covered up could be so explosive they may feel they have to do it regardless. But if the things hidden aren't of such a magnitude, then your (historically demonstrated) formula comes into play.

The behavior of followers is interesting. When Bush's popularity was heading way down in the basement, it became a question of how low could it go? It went to 22% approval which was the lowest end-term rating ever. There may well be some basement level that will never (outside of real catastrophe) be exceeded.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:05 pm
@McGentrix,
Oh goodness. Have you guys seen this before? I commonly use that service to reduce image size.
blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:13 pm
Quote:
[F]or now, the crucial question – the question on which much of American democracy hinges – is not what Trump does. It is what Congress does.”
Vox
Ezra wrote that a week ago and not specifically on the Flynn matter. But this matter does highlight Ezra's point.

And so far, it's not encouraging.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:13 pm
@camlok,
Quote:
Don't you think that that's a really bad metric to base any rational decision on.

Not sure what you're getting at here. Do you mean that the CIA is tainted because of the "Saddam's WMDs" fiasco? I was trying to emphasize the difference between a campaign scandal and a national security scandal — I may not have been clear.
blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:24 pm
Interesting note from Steve Benen
Quote:
On the heels of Donald Trump cancelling an event in Milwaukee, the president has now scrapped a scheduled appearance in eastern Ohio, which had been set for Thursday. In both cases, the White House did not explain the reason for the cancellations.

As with change of planned venue in his visit to England, this is all about avoiding negative optics, of course. And Trump is all about optics.

This decision is his (along with his PR team) but I'm not sure how he'll respond if he feels he can no long go out to get that mass adulation he appears to crave. But it doesn't seem likely the WH will become any happier and it doesn't sound happy now.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:28 pm
@blatham,
[Img width=900]URL
[/Img]

will do the trick, as the key is having the width low enough (not the height of the photo). Smaller than 900 is fine too - but I have found anything much larger in width than 9oo will be too large to fit in a post.

This is easy enough to fiddle with if you use the Image button in the BBCcode editor.
blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:31 pm
Not sure if any of you folks bumped into the news early this morning that the WH is giving press credentials to Hoft's Gateway Pundit blog. This guy and his site has been a rolling joke for years.

This is going to get worse.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:33 pm
@ossobucotemp,
And that will maintain the same width/height ratio thus not altering how it looks, only smallerizing it?
ossobucotemp

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:35 pm
@blatham,
Yes.
ossobucotemp

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:40 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Adds, I don't always want big photos, even if they fit on the page, so I might use width=500 instead. If you are using google images, they tell you what the pixels are for each photo.
0 Replies

camlok

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:42 pm
@hightor,
It's hard to know if the CIA is "tainted" because of their highly secretive nature, and the fact that no one ever really knows what they say or have said. But the myriad dismal outcomes that they have obviously had a hand in overseeing points to a what might reasonably be called a colossal clusterduck.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:49 pm
Today's entry in our on-going huge tally - Things Trump Has Done.
Quote:
President Donald Trump Tuesday signed the first in a series of congressional regulatory rollback bills, revoking an Obama-era regulation that required oil and mining companies to disclose their payments to foreign governments.

That regulation, part of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street reforms, was strongly opposed by the oil and gas industry — including Trump's Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson, who as head of Exxon Mobil personally lobbied to kill the Securities and Exchange Commission's rule that he said would make it difficult to do business in Russia.
Politico
So then, that's one heck of an accomplishment. Actually, it's really two accomplishments in one! Double bonus points.

- First, it allows (even encourages) multi-national corporations or any corporation dealing outside the country to just funnel millions or billions in bribes into the pockets of some of the worst jackals walking the earth

- Second, it drains the swamp (given that "swamp" is defined as any and all regulations on business that might, no matter how morally justified or whether or not in accord with international law, limit the profit-taking of those business entities.

So, cheers to Trumpism for its part in making the planet a shithole.