monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 04:37 pm
@blatham,
That' s right. Played by Trump, yet again, eh, Blathy?
blatham

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 04:54 pm
This is just so cool. It looks like the head of Trump's Small Business Administration will be Linda McMahon. Isn't that just special. You'll want to check out this video starting at about 1:35 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG-95MYSSBI
layman

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 04:56 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

You'll want to check out this video starting at about 1:35

Speak for yourself, cheese-eater.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 05:01 pm
Quote:
When the tea party appeared on the scene in 2009, an intense partisan dispute broke out as to just what this movement represented. Conservatives insisted that what spurred protesters into streets and town halls were the timeless principles of conservative movement thought: advocacy of balanced budgets, adherence to a strict constructionist version of the Constitution, opposition to “crony capitalism,” and skepticism of Keynesian economics. Liberals suggested a different explanation. The tea party was an expression of ethno-nationalist rage centered around a black president and the belief that his coalition stood for redistribution from older, white America to its younger, more diverse supporters. Reports by close students of the phenomenon, like Theda Skocpol and Vanessa Williamson, or Stanley Greenberg, revealed that deep-seated fear of demographic change rather than abstract constitutional or economic principles lay at the heart of the revolt against Obama.

One could not have devised a sequence of events more perfectly designed to prove the liberal theory of the case than the election of Donald Trump.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/12/donald-trump-has-proven-liberals-right-about-the-tea-party.html
Baldimo

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 05:16 pm
@blatham,
Keep making these things up, you won't win in 2018 or 2020 either. Stop crying wolf and move on.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 05:27 pm
@layman,
Not us, you dumb ass.
Baldimo

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 05:44 pm
@RABEL222,
Hillary pulled the wool over your eyes, she actually had you thinking she was going to win. I would be pissed at the media for telling those same lies if I were you. The media let you think she was going to win, when she was actually one of the worst people to run for President in a long time.

People like myself weren't fooled, we went 3rd party because we knew the media scam was on.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 05:53 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

One could not have devised a sequence of events more perfectly designed to prove the liberal theory of the case than the election of Donald Trump.

Great analysis, eh? When some other "journalist" says this: “[Trump] has little patience for the organizing principle of the Tea Party: the idea that the federal government must live within its means and lower its debts," then that proves something about the tea party in 2009, eh?

Some guy [your author] quotes some conclusion drawn by another guy [another author] about yet a third guy [Trump], which somehow PROVES a conclusion about millions of other guys [tea party supporters].

Irrefutable "logic" there, sho nuff!

Especially when the guy your guy quotes himself presupposes the falsity of your guy's claim. THAT guy say that the "organizing principle" of the tea party is exactly what you're trying to claim that it ISN'T.

Go figure, eh?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 06:01 pm
@layman,
I was lazily reading this one, wondering what you were up t0 and slowly scrolling the subsequent lines into view . Then I got to this one.
layman wrote:

For some damn reason, he made me think of the Democrats.

You made my afternoon !
0 Replies

giujohn

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 06:11 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Not us, you dumb ass.

Another case of       https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=OIP.M20e934a94be57431157b8c00b99b9a83o0&pid=15.1
layman

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 06:30 pm
@giujohn,
Ya know, John, I see a lot of people using the term "sour grapes" kinda like that--as though it means you're unhappy, or something.

But that's not the meaning I took from the old fable. I think it refers to case where, having tried very hard to obtain something, and failed, you then say it's all OK because it wouldn't have been any good anyway.
georgeob1

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 06:34 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
When the tea party appeared on the scene in 2009, an intense partisan dispute broke out as to just what this movement represented. Conservatives insisted that what spurred protesters into streets and town halls were the timeless principles of conservative movement thought: advocacy of balanced budgets, adherence to a strict constructionist version of the Constitution, opposition to “crony capitalism,” and skepticism of Keynesian economics. Liberals suggested a different explanation. The tea party was an expression of ethno-nationalist rage centered around a black president and the belief that his coalition stood for redistribution from older, white America to its younger, more diverse supporters. Reports by close students of the phenomenon, like Theda Skocpol and Vanessa Williamson, or Stanley Greenberg, revealed that deep-seated fear of demographic change rather than abstract constitutional or economic principles lay at the heart of the revolt against Obama.

More tidbits of Blatham's relentless research into carefully selected opinion pieces. I really liked the last two sentences, in that they really maximize the illogic and fact-free pomposity of this drivel.

"Liberals suggested a different explanation. The tea party was an expression of ethno-nationalist rage centered around a black president and ......

But wait ! There's more !

"Reports by close students of the phenomenon, like Theda Skocpol and Vanessa Williamson, or Stanley Greenberg, revealed that deep-seated fear of demographic change rather than abstract constitutional or economic principles lay at the heart of the revolt against Obama."

Just what constitutes a "close student of the phemomenon..." is left unspecified in this "scholarly" work. How they could possibly know the motives of millions of people they haven't met, scattered across this large country is clearly something only real intellectuals like Blatham could know.

Perhaps he will enlighten us.
layman

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 06:39 pm
You can try to dress a piece of **** up by putting a bow-tie on it, but.....
0 Replies

Frugal1

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 07:16 pm
@DrewDad,
I believe that I read someplace that Sean Hannity is credited with the photo.
0 Replies

giujohn

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 07:26 pm
@layman,
The definition of sour grapes is: (idiom) when someone says negative things about something because they can't have it.

They can't have the presidency so they have nothing good to say

Instead of cheese eaters how about grape eaters? Yeah I like that.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 07:31 pm
Trump gets a commitment from a Japanese company to bring 50 billion in investment capital to the US, with a consequent 50,000 jobs for Americans.

Is that a good thing? Not if you listen to the cheese-eaters, eh?:

Quote:
...it might be a bigger win for the Japanese telecom and Internet conglomerate, SoftBank, and its billionaire founder, Masayoshi Son.

Analysts said the Japanese company could be angling for lucrative benefits, including the regulatory approval to carry out one of the largest telecom mergers in recent history, between Sprint, which SoftBank owns, and rival carrier T-Mobile. It could also be cultivating a friendly environment for further technology investments Son is seeking to make in the United States.

Matthew Mitchel says "...to me, that’s a big concern, because institutionally that’s in some way what has set the U.S. apart from banana republics.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/12/07/a-japanese-billionaire-just-showed-companies-everywhere-how-they-might-profit-off-trump/

Well, there ya have it then. By securing these 50,000 jobs, with more probably to come, Trump has just turned us into a "banana republic," eh?
giujohn

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 07:42 pm
@layman,
So we're banana eaters??
cicerone imposter

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 07:43 pm
@giujohn,
I'm a proud banana eater! .......... Laughing
georgeob1

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 07:50 pm
@layman,
Soft Bank has been investing in and buying U.S. companies for several years. Odd that these Liberals didn't noitice that. Of course Soft Bank is looking for synergies with other of its investments and added market sector growth. That's what capitalism is all about, and those are precisely the appetites that makes capitalism so effective iun allocating capital to it's most productive uses.

Moreover, compared to Japan, the return on invested capital in this country is likely (under Trump, not Obama), to be much higher than Soft Bank could realize in stagnant Japan.

U.S. firms are currently sitting on hordes of capital they have been reluctant to invest in new enterprises, because they can't calculate a good outcome given the appetite of our idiot President and his Liberal advisors for new, unexpected regulations on financial rules, employee compensation, corporate liability and a host of other matters. There has been a steady flood of ths crap for the past seven years and the cumulative effect has been very chilling on business investment. That's why our economic growth is so anemic relative to our previous norms. It allso kills new job creation and drives the wage stagnation & income inequality Liberals complain about so much. Odd indeed that they don't recognize that their policies cause it.

Happily that too will soon be behind us.
ossobucotemp

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 07:51 pm
@blatham,
We are already in hell and the handbasket burned..
0 Replies