monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

giujohn

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 07:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm sorry...I think you've already been designated a cheese eater. However if you'ld like me to consider you for grape eater I'll take it under advisement and get back to you with a decision...thanks for playing.
ossobucotemp

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 08:01 pm
@blatham,
Cogent...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 08:11 pm
@giujohn,
Make mine grape, please.
giujohn

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 08:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Ok sour grape eater it is!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 08:23 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Only weeks ago they were decrying the myths of Republican intransigence and gridlock in the Congress, when in fact much of was their work all along. Obamacare was passed with zero input from or coordination with Republicans, and it will die a similar death.

Just take the second claim there. Can you reference something that backs you up? Any solid and careful reporting that verifies?

I hope you get what I'm saying. We have an explicit admission from McConnell that full on obstruction would be their strategy. You do know this, yes? We know of the meeting held on the night of Obama's inauguration that full on obstruction would be the strategy. Meese ran it. You do know this, yes?

If you somehow don't, let me know. I'll get the references for you.

Well my second claim was that Obamacare was passed with zero input from Republicans. That is an undisputed fact, so I'll assume you are disputing my claim that 'much of the gridlock in the past Congress was their work'. I believe that is indisputibly true: here I am referring primarily to Harry Reid's perdsistent refusal to bring bills passed in the House of Representatives up to the floor of the Senate for debate, amendment or even a vote - all to provide cover for Democrat Seantors afraind to go on record for votes. Reid's actions included among other things government budget bills . ( he also poisioned the well for Democrats in the new Congress by vastly reducing the options for Filibuster. Schumer ia already whining about that.)
layman

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 08:24 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
U.S. firms are currently sitting on hordes of capital they have been reluctant to invest in new enterprises, because they can't calculate a good outcome given the appetite of our idiot President and his Liberal advisors for new, unexpected regulations on financial rules, employee compensation, corporate liability and a host of other matters.

There has been a steady flood of ths crap for the past seven years and the cumulative effect has been very chilling on business investment. That's why our economic growth is so anemic relative to our previous norms. It also kills new job creation and drives the wage stagnation & income inequality Liberals complain about so much. Odd indeed that they don't recognize that their policies cause it.

Astute observations, George.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 08:28 pm
@georgeob1,
Republicans finally admit why they hate ACA/Obamacare.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/06/republicans-finally-admit-why-they-hate-the-aca.html
blatham

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 10:22 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
More tidbits of Blatham's relentless research into carefully selected opinion pieces.

Sure, that's all true. But on the other hand, try to imagine what Trump's first SOTU speech will look like.

There will be pyrotechnics. And loud trumpets. A purple carpet woven by blue-eyed Pakistani virgins. And he'll be delivering it on that white stallion from France and a descendant of the horse that Napoleon rode.
glitterbag

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 10:45 pm
@blatham,
Ooooooooo, that's so classy.
blatham

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 11:40 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Ooooooooo, that's so classy.

Nothing says 'classy' like Donald Trump. I'm surprised the word even existed before he arrived.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 11:46 pm
Aside from all that, I'm presently working on a movie short to run before the drive-in movie feature film that evening. No visuals, just black but with sound. The film will run about three minutes. As the film progresses, it slowly becomes clear there's a house party on-going but the sounds are muffled and we're in a broom closet with a man and woman who've sneaked inside to make love. And they do.

The film's title (I tell you this so you can watch for it at the drive-in) is... **** Me, You Dirty Janitor.
glitterbag

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 11:48 pm
@blatham,
nothing is quite as seductive as subtle sweet nothings, swoooooon.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 12:09 am
Sweet nothings, indeed. Particularly wonderful if accompanied by a something.

As a peek into the creative process, let me share.

I've set aside for now the main body of the work. It's but 3 minutes in total and I am confident I can fill it in with narrative oomph.

So what I'm puzzling over now is - because the film is audio only - a song to take the story out. It would be coming from the house party speakers. Here's a possibility. Such a night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO53Xu6TZBg

If anyone has an alternate idea, please share.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 12:09 am
Of course, I get both of you.

What to do? I used to be locally and even statewide involved but now I just need to keep on living, so far so good.

I think local buildup will matter and that we should have remedy at hand.
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 06:23 am
Trump's new tone on immigrant kids divides GOP

Quote:

Trump's remarks about the young immigrants, known to their supporters as "Dreamers," came in a Time magazine interview in connection with his designation as "Person of the Year."

During the campaign Trump pledged to "immediately terminate" President Barack Obama's executive actions on immigration, including the 2012 Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, known as DACA, which has extended work permits and temporary deportation relief to more than 700,000 immigrants brought illegally to this country as youths.

But in the interview published Wednesday he adopted a far more sympathetic tone.

"We're going to work something out that's going to make people happy and proud," Trump said. "They got brought here at a very young age, they've worked here, they've gone to school here. Some were good students. Some have wonderful jobs. And they're in never-never land because they don't know what's going to happen."

woiyo

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 07:04 am
@revelette1,
Glad it divides the GOP. Seems a sensible approach to me.
revelette1

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 07:17 am
@woiyo,
He picked a relative unknown General Kelly to head Homeland Security rather than Kobach who is more anti-immigration. When you think about businesses, really they are the ones who hire both illegal and legal immigrants so it kind of makes sense for Trump to choose someone who might not be as anti-immigrant as Trump campaigned on.

Donald Trump has selected retired Marine Gen. John Kelly to lead the Department of Homeland Security
Frugal1

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 07:27 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
it kind of makes sense for Trump to choose someone who might not be as anti-immigrant as Trump

Some people are so ignorant they may actually believe that Trump is
anti-immigrant, even though there is zero proof to back up the claim.
revelette1

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 08:33 am
@Frugal1,
Oh yeah, no proof, just called them rapist and murderers.
Frugal1

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 08:38 am
@revelette1,
He NEVER said that about immigrants, try again.