monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Frugal1

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 09:54 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzFVcP4VQAAX32p.jpg:large
0 Replies

layman

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 09:58 am
Me and some homeys was out ballin last week. The other team needed a 5th so they let the 14 year-old younger brother of one of them play.

That kid was a real ballhog. Every time he got the ball, he tried to shoot. Every time he tried to shoot we blocked his shot and took the ball downcourt for a hoop.

About the fifth time this happened the kid started bawling, screaming that he was fouled. He just sat down on the court, and cried.

Next time down, he got stepped and then he started screaming that his foot had been broken. We didn't stop the game. Someone on their team dragged him off the court by the arm, so he would be out of the way, and they kept playing, 4 on 5.

That po boy sat on the sideline for 30 minutes, doin nuthin but cryin. No one paid him any never-mind, so he finally left, affecting a limp.

For some damn reason, he made me think of the Democrats.
maporsche

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 10:04 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Frugal1 wrote:

https://tribwxin.files.wordpress.com/2016/12/time-trump-fox59.jpg

YEA!... all right now let's see if we can get him a Nobel Prize.

You should be happy that he joined the likes of Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin.
giujohn

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 10:04 am
THIS JUST IN... CNN and the Washington Post have both reported that sources close to Donald Trump disclosed today that while trimming his toenails Donald Trump refused to trim his pinky toe on his right foot and that toenail has grown to such a length as the curl back on itself. Donald Trump was heard to say, "It's my godamn toe and I'll do whatever I want with it." Several left-leaning pundits have echoed the opinion, "How can we elect a president with such questionable grooming habits... if there was ever a reason to abolish the Electoral College, this is it." CNN has already dubbed this "TOE- GATE. Nancy Pelosi is calling for impeachment after his inauguration.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 10:06 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

This is encouraging. Maybe Schumer and Pelosi et al can carry through with Dems whose seats will be vulnerable and do this right.

Very unlikely. Your piece gives us all a good illustration of the comity and willingness to accomodate opposing voices among todays Democrats. Only weeks ago they were decrying the myths of Republican intransigence and gridlock in the Congress, when in fact much of was their work all along. Obamacare was passed with zero input from or coordination with Republicans, and it will die a similar death.

It appears that neither Pelosi nor Schumer have internalized the results of the election. Pelosi saya no new direction or leadership among Democrats isd neede. That is an understandable position for her successful struggle to retain her Minority Leader status in the Party, but likely not a good one for her party. Pelosi & Schumer simply don't have the numbers to do what they assert. The health Care law they passed was riddled with contradictions and destructive feratures which harmed everyone, insurere, medical praticioners and their patients. It is collapsing of its own faults before our eyes now. They own that.
giujohn

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 10:11 am
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:

Hillary came in second place, well behind Trump.
She has asked Jill Stein to request a recount.

ROTFLMAO
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 10:27 am
Quote:
Only weeks ago they were decrying the myths of Republican intransigence and gridlock in the Congress, when in fact much of was their work all along. Obamacare was passed with zero input from or coordination with Republicans, and it will die a similar death.

Just take the second claim there. Can you reference something that backs you up? Any solid and careful reporting that verifies?

I hope you get what I'm saying. We have an explicit admission from McConnell that full on obstruction would be their strategy. You do know this, yes? We know of the meeting held on the night of Obama's inauguration that full on obstruction would be the strategy. Meese ran it. You do know this, yes?

If you somehow don't, let me know. I'll get the references for you.
blatham

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 10:38 am
As we all know, Trump made quite a few guest appearances on InfoWars and ally Roger Stone many more. But this data below is really scary. I mean, for **** sake.
Quote:
A partial list of things Jones believes include: The US government is secretly controlled by a shadowy international cabal called the New World Order. The Federal Emergency Management Agency is going to put Americans in concentration camps. The “Jewish mafia” controls Uber and American health care. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are literal demons — like, the kind that come from hell and smell like sulfur.

A lot of other people — including many supporters of Donald Trump — seem to believe these things too. One of Jones’s websites, Infowars, got 10 million unique visitors in the past month, according to Quantcast. That’s more than National Review, America’s premier conservative journal, and nearly four times as much as Rush Limbaugh’s site. It’s also more than mainstream sites like the Economist and Newsweek.
http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/10/28/13424848/alex-jones-infowars-prisonplanet
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 10:56 am
@georgeob1,
If they kill Obamacare, they better have a replacement.
georgeob1

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 11:10 am
@cicerone imposter,
It's already dead. Insurance companies are bailing out fast under heavy losses and the government isn't (and never has) enforced the requirements to buy health insurance that were at the heart of this ridiculous scheme. The system is failing under the weight of its own contradictions, It turns out that Jonathan Gruber and Eziekiel Emannuel weren't nearly as smart as they appeared to think they are.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 01:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The last I heard the plan is to repeal and delay implementation of the repeal.

An Obamacare ‘Delay’ Plan Could Backfire

Quote:
Just a few weeks ago, Donald J. Trump and Republicans in Congress were talking about how Obamacare’s insurance markets were floundering, and how insurance companies were fleeing while prices were spiraling out of control.

The failure of those markets, they argued, was the reason Obamacare should be repealed.

Now, Republican leaders are considering a legislative effort to roll back major provisions of the health law, but the plan they’re considering would keep the current system in place for at least two and possibly three more years.

The nickname for the plan is repeal and delay, and the assumption underlying it is that the current system will be sustainable for as long as it takes Congress to pass and the White House to install a new health plan.

The plan might be better described as “zombification.” It is not at all clear that Republicans can easily time the expiration date of the Obamacare markets. Insurance experts say the resulting zombie market — not dead, but not alive either — would suffer from many of the maladies of the existing system, and quite a few more. The result on the books might look like the status quo, but millions of Americans could lose their insurance and others could pay much higher prices to keep their coverage.

More at the source.
revelette1

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 02:17 pm
@maporsche,
I wonder what goofball told him that constipation look is presidential? Someone just needs to photoshop a toilet..
DrewDad

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 02:21 pm
@revelette1,
Yeah, the photographer and/or editor clearly didn't like him....

Looks like someone driving who's irritated with the annoying kids in the back seat.....
blatham

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 03:40 pm
I had not bumped into this one before.
Quote:
In 2000 Donald Trump told Fortune magazine, “It’s very possible that I could be the first presidential candidate to run and make money on it.”
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-businesses-profit-off-presidential-campaign-money/
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 03:52 pm
If you are going to read one thing today, make it this piece by historian Rick Perlstein. It's much more wide-ranging than the bit I'll excerpt below but it is as gripping and frightening most of the way through. Michael ******* Ledeen is a vicious madman. I did not know he and Flynn co-authored a book. Jesus.
Quote:
Nothing mentioned about the book Flynn co-authored with conspiracy theorist Michael Ledeen, which spread the insane far-right conviction that Islam is not a religion but a conspiracy aimed at destroying Judeo-Christian civilization. (Priest: “I’ve asked Flynn directly about this claim; he has told me that he doesn’t have proof—it’s just something he feels as true.”) Nor his business ties to Turkey, on whose behalf, without disclosure, he has written op-eds advising extradition of an enemy of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s regime. Nor that he not merely “appeared” on Russia’s state-sponsored English-language station RT but was a paid speaker at their anniversary gala in Moscow. Nor that he has stated, “I’ve been at war with Islam”—he corrected himself, for political correctness’s sake: “or a component of Islam”—“for the last decade.”
https://washingtonspectator.org/press-trump-perlstein/
blatham

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 04:07 pm
Oh goody gumdrops. Like I said, the Koch boys are driving this administration as much as Trump is.
Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump has reportedly chosen Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt as his nominee to lead the Environmental Protection Agency.

News of the intended nomination broke Wednesday afternoon, as unnamed sources confirmed Pruitt’s selection to the New York Times, Reuters and others.

Pruitt has been a leading voice of Republican attorneys general nationwide who have banded together against environmental regulations put forward by the Obama administration.

He also has close ties to the energy industry: A 2014 New York Times investigation uncovered a letter from Pruitt to the EPA in 2011 which claimed the agency was overestimating the air pollution caused by energy companies drilling natural gas wells in his state. The letter had been written by lawyers for one of Oklahoma’s largest energy companies. Pruitt’s staff simply copied it onto official stationery "with only a few word changes," The Times reported, and sent it to Washington.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/scott-pruitt-environmental-protection-agency-trump
old europe

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 04:12 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
Now, Republican leaders are considering a legislative effort to roll back major provisions of the health law, but the plan they’re considering would keep the current system in place for at least two and possibly three more years.

So they could run on dismantling Obamacare again in 2019?

That's clever.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 04:14 pm
@blatham,
I hope we do have someone at the EPA who is willing to limit their power, they have been overstepping their bounds quiet a bit in the last few years. How many times have they had the courts overturn these attempts at overstepping their bounds. The EPA under Obama has been a joke.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 04:17 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Oh goody gumdrops. Like I said, the Koch boys are driving this administration as much as Trump is.

"As much as?" Wrong.

Trump is just a puppet on strings manipulated by the Kochs. Every single politician, cabinet member, and staff employee, in every branch of goverment, state, federal, and county is on the Koch payroll. They run the entire country.

Suck it up, buttercup.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 7 Dec, 2016 04:35 pm
Garrison Keillor
Quote:
It’s a wonderful satire right out of Twain or Thurber. A minority of the electorate goes for the loosest and least knowledgeable candidate, certain that he will lose and their votes will be only harmless protest, a middle finger to Washington, and then — whoa. The joke comes true. You put a whoopee cushion on your father’s chair and he sits down and it barks and he has a massive coronary. You wanted to get a rise out of him and instead he falls down dead. Very funny.

Thank you, Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania for this wonderful joke. Voters in high dudgeon against Wall Street manipulators and the Washington aristocracy vote for the billionaire populist who puts tycoons in power and the Republican hierarchy who owned the logjam that the voters voted against. If Billy the Kid had been smart, he’d’ve run for sheriff.

And now we sit and watch in disbelief as the victor drops one piece of china after another, spits in the soup, sticks his fist through a painting and gobbles up the chocolates. Not satisfied with the usual election night victory speech, he stages a post-election victory tour and gloatfest, a series of rallies in arenas where he can waggle his thumbs and smirk and holler and point out the journalists in their pen for the mob to boo and shake their fists at. He puts the Secret Service through their paces, highways are closed, planes diverted, cities disrupted, just so the man can say how much fun it was to defeat Hillary Clinton and confound the experts.
Lake Woebehere