monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 04:47 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
I agree with osso, I don't know what is worse or better, impeaching Trump with Pence waiting in the wings or just letting him keep on doing what he is doing. For the most part, I haven't seen any distance between Trump and Pence.

Since Trump hasn't committed any impeachable offenses, you might be getting ahead of yourself there.

And let's not forget that the Democrats have no standing to complain about alleged wrongdoing in any case, after how they placed Bill Clinton above the law.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 04:50 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Theres the weirdness of it all. Even the GOP abandoned Nixon, here we have a demagogue in training and theyre printing up bumper stickers and team tee shirts with his fatass on em

The Republicans were naive under Nixon. They did not realize that the Democrats place themselves above the law and routinely commit even worse crimes.

Today Republicans understand that all too well. Any Democratic complaints about alleged Republican wrongdoing will at best be laughed at. I can easily see the Republicans throwing rotten tomatoes at any Democrat who has the audacity to complain about impeachable offenses.

Not that Mr. Trump is going to commit impeachable offenses in the first place.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 04:52 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
I often feel more contented when living under an opposition regime because I don't get worn out trying to defend and explain away the stupid actions of the party or president in power.

Why try to defend or explain away stupid stuff to begin with?

I don't have time enough to post about things I passionately care about, much less trying to defend something silly.

If Trump were to say or do something silly I'd probably just laugh about it and then forget that it ever happened.

Like when he was still running for office and he needed to distract from some bad headlines (I forget what) and he leaked nude photos of his wife to the tabloids thinking no one would figure out that he was the leaker.

I posted a thread about it here even, although as I recall I was the only one who got to laugh about it (people on the Left somehow didn't see the humor in how silly he was being).
oralloy

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 04:54 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
camlok wrote:
At what US torture site around the world would you suggest the gallows should operate for US war criminals?

If there's one here in British Columbia, I'd help out.

The United States would of course be within our rights to conduct airstrikes against any site where people are murdering US soldiers.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 05:34 am
Quote:
A centre-left politician who once characterised Donald Trump as a “hate preacher” has been elected president of Germany. The former foreign minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier was voted in on Sunday by a parliamentary assembly made up of 1,260 MPs and representatives of Germany’s 16 states.

Steinmeier, a member of the Social Democratic party, had guaranteed the support both of his own centre-left bloc and Angela Merkel’s centre-right Christian Democratic party, who between them hold a majority of 923 seats in the assembly.
Guardian
0 Replies

giujohn

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 05:44 am
@izzythepush,
And yet only one name for Hillary...LOSER and one for Obama...GONE.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 06:10 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The Republicans are going to hold the White House for at least the next 20 years.

I really doubt that this will turn out to be the case, unless the GOP makes inroads into the non-white electorate — which could alienate other constituencies within the party — or manages to beat the odds on entropy, cultural changes, or natural disaster. The US tends to blame, rightly or wrongly, the president in power for everything that happens — an ebola epidemic, a disappointing Olympics, or an asteroid strike and it's "Throw the bums out!"

Quote:
Why try to defend or explain away stupid stuff to begin with?

Fair point. I guess when I get involved in that sort of thing it's when I think I can detect an erroneous analysis or explore an obvious point which has been overlooked. Sometimes the narrative begins to take on a life of its own and critical deconstruction is often more effective (and satisfying) than continuing to defend a media distortion.
blatham

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 06:15 am
Effective governance
Quote:
A proclamation by Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin inviting Christians to pray for the oil and natural gas industry will be amended to be more inclusive of other faiths, the governor said Monday.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/mary-fallin-prayer-day

To get important stuff done, you want to get people praying for it to happen. You have to get LOTS of people praying.

The reasoning here is that God doesn't pay attention to one or two people praying. Why would he? One dude praying over there and some other dude praying over there - who the hell cares?

God keeps stats. That's how He determines the worth of a request to Him. It's like voting. And you have to hand it to Fallin that she's pushing back here against barriers placed on who can vote/make prayerful requests.

On heck of a governor, this one.
farmerman

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 06:24 am
@blatham,
God has lots of experience on the directional drill rigs. He helped the Penn State folks come up with the concept of "fracking" and he didnt take any of the credit.

Really cool dude
blatham

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 06:28 am
@farmerman,
Yes. He's my guy. Has a really really big hat that reads, Make the universe great again.

Speaking of Him (and He is mysterious, for sure) probably the most sophisticated student of Him is this fellow.
Quote:
Gohmert, who was guest hosting the “Point of View” radio show, interviewed conservative activist and “Reaganbook” founder Janet Porter about her anti-LGBT film “Light Wins,” which featured appearances from Gohmert and other prominent Republicans such as Rand Paul and Mike Huckabee.

The congressman quoted a portion of the movie in which Porter, who believes that same-sex marriage caused Noah’s Flood, alleges that the only time in history besides today “where homosexual unions were authorized as marriage was in the ‘Days of Noah.’”

“We know homosexuality was widespread in Greece and Rome and Babylon and especially in Sodom and Gomorrah but that’s a little scary that it wasn’t legal except before the flood,” Gohmert commented.

Porter responded that this statement “tells you where we are in the overall timeline—“

“Does it ever,” Gohmert interjected.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/gohmert-homosexuality-flood/
farmerman

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 06:46 am
@blatham,
Familiarity with history or biology notwithstanding, Gohmrt is a source of hilarity whrever he appears. Theyre still trying to figure out what the hell he meant with his
"Youre casting aspersions on my asparagus"

which he left hanging in an interview with Eric Holder few years back
blatham

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 06:47 am
How much do I despise people and corporations like this

Quote:
Score One for the Little Guys as W Hotel Drops Its Minimum Wage Surcharge in Seattle
The chain escapes a potential PR nightmare after getting called out for listing a surcharge to cover the cost of a higher minimum wage, but not one for its $4.1 million CEO.
Mike Tomasky
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 06:50 am
@farmerman,
I would nominate him for Stupidest Person Worldwide except for all the stupider people who vote for him.
oralloy

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 06:56 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The Republicans are going to hold the White House for at least the next 20 years.

I really doubt that this will turn out to be the case, unless the GOP makes inroads into the non-white electorate — which could alienate other constituencies within the party — or manages to beat the odds on entropy, cultural changes, or natural disaster. The US tends to blame, rightly or wrongly, the president in power for everything that happens — an ebola epidemic, a disappointing Olympics, or an asteroid strike and it's "Throw the bums out!"

Let's see how things look after election day 2032.

The 2013 gun control debacle has essentially destroyed the Left as a political force in America.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 07:11 am
This is exceptionally funny. Tweet from Sean Hannity to Joe Scarborough:
Quote:
Steve Miller works 18 hour days serving the country and the @POTUS What do you do? Basically talk to yourself & @morningmika
Nobody watches!

Nobody = obsessive watcher Trump

0 Replies

layman

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 07:17 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

How much do I despise people and corporations like this.
I would nominate him for Stupidest Person Worldwide except for all the stupider people who vote for him.

No real need to announce your HATE and contempt for anyone who doesn't agree with you, eh? It's quite apparent.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 07:22 am
Apparently WSJ's Baker holding staff "townhall" today re Trump coverage. Ought to be interesting. Baker/Gigot/Murdoch circle want Pravda, reporting staff definitely do not want that.
0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 07:39 am
Trump's official inauguration poster has glaring typo

Quote:
The page selling the print was removed Sunday evening at some point between 9:30 and 10:00 p.m.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4gK2nVUYAAZoIf.jpg

Quote:
@stephenlautens
Get'cher official Trump print from the Library of Congress. Extra "o" in "too" available separately.
blatham

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 07:40 am
Fox news has identified this as the Terrorist Palm ****

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/831113039558615041/2CU5De2Z?format=jpg&name=600x314
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 07:41 am
@revelette1,
Damn. If I had one, it would go big on Ebay