monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

coldjoint

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 11:33 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
There's a lot of potential in those three.

Potential to sell out this country and it citizens to the highest bidder. They are more corrupt than Trump could ever hope to be.
0 Replies

roger

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 11:33 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

. . .Also read a piece in the WP talking the VP picks for Biden, there seems to be a big problem for Harris that I don't think she can handle; and it's a matter of her record as Prosecutor. Perhaps Biden would be smarter to pick Abrams or Susan Rice.

Personally, I think Biden made a mistake by limiting his choice to women. There isn't a one of his primary opponents that I like, and it sounds like gender is a more important consideration than qualifications. I Know! Sarah Palin.
coldjoint

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 11:38 am
@engineer,
Quote:
Susan Rice is a liar. Now even the liberal media is starting to admit it

From 2017. People have the memory of goldfish or are just plain dumb.
Quote:
Susan Rice is a liar and that’s the truth. What’s amazing is that it has taken years for the major media to admit it, despite epic evidence. Even journalists have a breaking point -- in this case, false statements about deadly chemical weapons.

Rice’s lies have angered conservatives for years. Medal of Honor recipient Dakota Meyer nicknamed the former national security adviser the “liar in chief,” according to The Blaze.

Rice’s willingness to misrepresent what happened during the Benghazi attack was so amazing, that she repeated it on five separate Sunday morning news talk shows. It was a lie that might make Pinocchio proud. But it took her lies about Syria to do just that.

The Washington Post gave Rice four Pinocchios (out of four) in the paper’s liars scoreboard for bogus claims about removing Syria’s chemical weapons. The Post criticized her for comments she made during a Jan. 16, NPR interview. It looks bad for Rice that a paper so blatantly anti-Trump as the Post would criticize her for such willful deceit.

The paper’s Fact Checker called Rice’s statement “problematic” before spending 1,400 words proving she lied. “She did not explain that Syria’s declaration was believed to be incomplete and thus was not fully verified — and that the Syrian government still attacked citizens with chemical weapons not covered by the 2013 agreement. That tipped her wordsmithing toward a Four,” wrote Glenn Kessler.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/susan-rice-is-a-liar-now-even-the-liberal-media-is-starting-to-admit-it
hightor

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 11:44 am
@roger,
Quote:

Personally, I think Biden made a mistake by limiting his choice to women.

I'm inclined to agree. It just looks so...political. I'd much rather see a woman candidate on the top of the ticket.
revelette1 wrote:
...there seems to be a big problem for Harris that I don't think she can handle; and it's a matter of her record as Prosecutor.

That might be a problem for people like Lash but really, having experience as a prosecutor shouldn't rule anyone out. I think it can be shown that she was fair, responsible, compassionate, and did a good job.
hightor

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 11:47 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Medal of Honor recipient Dakota Meyer nicknamed the former national security adviser the “liar in chief,” according to The Blaze.

Who cares? Get over it.
coldjoint

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 11:48 am
@hightor,
Quote:
I think it can be shown that she was fair, responsible, compassionate, and did a good job.

I think it will highlight her hypocrisy. On pot and the people she put away because of it. She also did nothing for the Black community but prosecute them.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 11:50 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Who cares? Get over it.

She said Bergdhal served with honor and distinction. We know he was a traitor, and they (and she) knew that when they got him back. Should I get over that too?
hightor

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 11:53 am
Why Does Trump Lie?

He has nothing but contempt for the institutions that exist to keep presidents in check.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2020/06/11/opinion/11Tomasky/11Tomasky-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
A President with his own set of facts; President Donald J. Trump presented his version of the facts about coronavirus testing in The United States in the Rose Garden of the White House in May.

Quote:
The lies and obfuscations pile up. No, it wasn’t tear gas used to clear Lafayette Park for President Trump’s Bible-waving photo-op last Monday night, Attorney General William Barr said on CBS’s “Face the Nation” on Sunday. Rather it was “pepper balls,” he said. “Pepper spray is not a chemical irritant. It’s not chemical.” Wrong, according to The Washington Post; pepper balls are very much a chemical irritant. The paper awarded the nation’s top law enforcement officer four Pinocchios for his claim.

President Trump himself keeps at it, too. On the morning of June 4, he tweeted: “[Robert] Mueller should have never been appointed, although he did prove that I must be the most honest man in America!”

As of May 29, the most honest man in America had uttered 19,127 false or misleading claims in his 1,226 days in office, according to Glenn Kessler of The Post, who has been tracking them since Day 1. That’s 15.6 falsehoods a day, or roughly one per waking hour, every hour, every day. That puts him on track to hit 20,000 lies by Wednesday, July 29; by Nov. 3, at this pace, he’ll be north of 22,000 — but of course that period will constitute the heat of the campaign, when the frequency seems likely to increase.

All right, some still say; Yes, Mr. Trump is worse than normal, but they all lie. What’s the big deal, really?

Here’s the big deal. Mr. Trump’s lies are different. Not just in quantity, but also in quality. He lies for a different purpose than every other president — yes, even, I would argue, Richard Nixon, the biggest presidential prevaricator until Mr. Trump came along.

What is that difference? In a nutshell, it is this: Our democracy has, to use a word that former Vice President Joe Biden employed in his powerful June 2 speech in Philadelphia, certain guardrails that, as Mr. Biden put it, “have helped make possible this nation’s path to a more perfect union, a union that constantly requires reform and rededication.” Every president before Mr. Trump has been mindful of those guardrails. When they lied, they lied out of respect for those guardrails. Mr. Trump lies to crush those guardrails into scrap metal.

Let’s take the George W. Bush administration and the run-up to the Iraq war. I know that we still debate whether administration figures lied or were the victims of faulty intelligence. To me, the evidence is overwhelming that they knowingly lied about the immediacy of the threat posed by Saddam Hussein. Indeed, part of the reason the intel was faulty was they created a special intelligence unit within the Pentagon to tell them what they wanted to hear.

So let’s say they lied. The lies were bad; I’m not saying they weren’t. And they had calamitous consequences. But they were crafted in a way that heeded the existence of the guardrails. The very example I cited above — the creation of what they called the Office of Special Plans — is proof of this. They knew they couldn’t just go before the American public and say any old thing, grounded in nothing. They knew they had to make the case for war within a certain process that existed, that honored precedent and that seemed evidence-based and “democratic.”

The Bush team on Iraq, Lyndon Johnson on the Gulf of Tonkin incident, even Mr. Nixon on Watergate — in all those cases, lies were told. But Presidents Bush, Johnson and Nixon also knew and implicitly accepted that lying to the American people had limits, limits that were enforced by the truth-finding institutions and principles that are essential to a democracy — the free press, free speech, constitutional checks and balances, legitimate independent investigations. On this last point, the contrast between Mr. Nixon, who agreed to send administration officials to testify before the Senate Watergate committee, and Mr. Trump, who is fighting any such cooperation all the way up to the Supreme Court, is stark.

Whatever else they did, these earlier presidents understood these limits and respected the institutions enough to try to sneak around them. Additionally, they understood the value of these institutions to hold the opposition in check when the other side is in power. And all previous presidents at some level took these institutions as givens in a functioning democracy, which they all believed should endure.

Not so the incumbent. It often befuddles observers that Mr. Trump has no urge to hide his lies. Of course he doesn’t. Because he doesn’t care if he’s caught, because he has no regard for the democratic limits named above. His only real purposes are holding on to power by any means necessary and relentlessly reinventing himself to keep his reality show on the air for as long as possible.

So, far from respecting the institutions enough to sneak around them or appear to conform with their rules, he is perfectly happy to destroy those institutions that might expose him (the press, Congress, the courts, the inspectors general). He has nothing but contempt for the institutions that check him, so he has no urge to hide anything. And of course — maybe the most frightening part of all — he has not a moment’s concern for what endures after he’s gone.

So this is what makes his lies worse. They threaten the foundations of the republic in a way that even Mr. Nixon’s did not. And they will only get worse. If we’ve learned one thing about the president, it’s certainly this: It will always get worse. It’s mortifying enough to imagine the damage he can do in the next five months, let alone the next five years if he’s re-elected.

nyt/tomasky
coldjoint

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 12:03 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
He has nothing but contempt for the institutions that exist to keep presidents in check.

The exact opposite is true. Projection fail.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 12:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Sarah Palin. What needs to be said?

I was ribbing backatcha!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 12:23 pm
@hightor,
Asolutely right: we had women in the primary season that could have cinched POTUS. I think part of the problem was the season went on toooo long. I have no problems with Biden past why does the best candidate always have to be a white male? I hate to think Obama was an anomaly. But there is no doubt: Biden has the experience and the temperament to be a good President.

Funny though, one moron here knocks Kamala Harris because she was an effective candidate. His complaint seem to center on her prosecuting pot laws. As a pot head head myself, I may not like it but I sure as hell understand it. The cops bring her arrests and she prosecuted them. His next complaint is she somehow didn't favor black suspects. That's a joke because if she demonstratably had, that would be his complaint instead.

You'd think a lawnorder pogue would support her. She's got the skills and experience to make a good President, too.
coldjoint

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 12:24 pm
Quote:
Look out, Cracker Barrel is the next target of the MOB

Quote:
I could post a lot more, but you get the idea. Also just to point out because people are idiots, the name “Cracker Barrel” has nothing to do with white people. According to the company, it comes from an old tradition:

“Back in the day, country stores were a gathering place for many communities; somewhere folks could catch up on the news, local events, and their neighbors’ lives. Country stores were complete with “cracker barrels” that were used to ship soda crackers, so they wouldn’t break in transit. After the crackers had been sold, the barrels were used as makeshift tables. Visitors to the stores would sit around the barrel-tables chatting and catching up on the day’s news.”

Twitter time.

Quote:
TerriGreen @TerriGreenUSA

At Cracker Barrel in Pell City, Ala. this morning there were 4 officers and this middle aged black man came over and asked for their tickets and said he was paying for their meals. He wouldnt take no as an answer. He then thanked them for their public service. America 🇺🇸
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZ9dxhFXYAAyZIg?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://therightscoop.com/look-out-cracker-barrel-is-the-next-target-of-the-mob/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 12:26 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Pamala Harris

Who is she? Laughing Laughing Laughing
bobsal u1553115

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 12:29 pm
@hightor,
The only things missing are the "War is Peace", "Freedom is Slavery" "Ignorance is Strength" and "Big Brother is Watching" posters.

https://egouvernaire.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/orwell-1984-propaganda.jpg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 12:31 pm
@coldjoint,
What are you talking about, nitwit?
Below viewing threshold (view)
coldjoint

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 12:48 pm
https://c2.legalinsurrection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/04-Psycho-LI-600.jpg
hightor

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 12:49 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Should I get over that too?

Yes, you really should. Especially since Trump is determined to hand Afghanistan back to the Taliban anyway.
coldjoint

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 12:52 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Especially since Trump is determined to hand Afghanistan back to the Taliban anyway.

You cannot stop Islam in an Islamic country and the ones with the guns always rise to the top.. He is smart enough to know that. If those people do not want the Taliban let them take care of it.

If other terrorists set up camps Trump will simply kill them. And I will never get over the Obama administration enabling terror.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 01:00 pm
Quote:
The COVID Skeptics Were Right

One those skeptics would be me.
Quote:
But no one in the political class, he observes, was willing to defy the groupthink that ruled out a more targeted and balanced approach to the virus:

Governments did not have an open discussion, including economists, biologists and epidemiologists, to hear different voices. In Britain, it was the voice of one person — Neil Ferguson — who has a history of coming up with projections that are a bit odd. The government did not convene a meeting with people who have different ideas, different projections, to discuss his projection. If it had done that, it could have seen where the fundamental flaw was in the so-called models used by Neil Ferguson. His paper was published eventually, in medRxiv. The assumption was that one per cent of all people who became infected would die. There is no justification anywhere for that.

It has taken the riots to expose the full hypocrisy of the pols who so eagerly robbed Americans of their freedom. These opportunistic pols were willing to suspend all their strictures once a politically correct cause arose sacred to them, thereby showing that all their “risk models” had no objectivity to them whatsoever. These are the same pols who suppressed religious freedom, dismissed the maintenance of the Bill of Rights as above their “pay grade,” and condemned utterly peaceful lockdown protests as perilous to the common good.

Fried, dyed, and laid on our side. Had.
https://spectator.org/covid-skeptics-right-coronavirus-lockdown/
0 Replies