monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

bobsal u1553115

Wed 20 May, 2020 12:07 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I would never get the idea to compare a football match - and especially not the world championship - with elections

It describes what the GOP has done and it's worse. At least there are referees in football. Here the team captain can fire the referees and line judges. Its win at all cost the public be damned.

Quote:
- Universal suffrage,
- Immediacy of the election,
- freedom of election,
- equality of election,
- confidentiality of the ballot
Transparency and publicity of the election are also added to this.

It actually got pretty close to that here for quite a while. Not so much any more.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 20 May, 2020 12:17 pm
@coldjoint,
https://www.spiked-online.com

Spiked (also written as sp!ked) is a British Internet magazine focusing on politics, culture and society. The magazine was founded in 2001 with the same editor and many of the same contributors as Living Marxism, which had closed in 2000 after being sued for libel by ITN.[2][3] It is funded in part by donations from the Charles Koch Foundation.[4][5][6]

George Monbiot described it as supporting right and far right figures and as arguing against the exposure of dark money. Monbiot and fellow environmentalist Peter Melchett have said that some of its core editors have pursued an anti-environmentalist agenda, an accusation that has been rejected as a McCarthyite conspiracy theory. Activists associated with Spiked, sometimes described as part of 'the Spiked network', took part in Nigel Farage's Brexit Party as candidates or publicists.
Contents

Editors and contributors

Spiked is edited by Brendan O'Neill,[7] following Mick Hume's departure in January 2007, and features regular contributions from James Heartfield, Michael Fitzpatrick, Patrick West, and Frank Furedi, among others. Brendan O’Neill self identifies as a Marxist libertarian.[8][9]
Origin
Further information: Bosnian genocide denial § Living Marxism

The magazine was founded in 2000 after the bankruptcy of its predecessor, Living Marxism (LM).[10][2][11]

LM closed after losing a libel case brought against it by the broadcasting corporation ITN.[12][3] The case centered around ITN coverage of Fikret Alić and other Bosnian Muslims standing behind a barbed-wire fence at the Trnopolje camp during the Bosnian war. LM claimed to oppose Western intervention on traditional anti-imperialist grounds, and published an article titled "The Picture that Fooled the World"[13] which claimed that ITN's coverage was deceptive, the barbed-wire did not enclose the camp and the Muslims were in fact "refugees, many of whom went there seeking safety and could leave again if they wished." During the court case, evidence given by the camp doctor led LM to abandon its defence. ITN was awarded damages and costs, estimated to be around £1 million.[10][14][15]
Stance

Spiked focuses on issues of freedom and state control, science and technology, culture, education and literature.

The magazine states that it opposes all forms of censorship, by the state or otherwise.[16] Its writers call for a repeal of libel,[17] hate speech[18] and incitement[19][20] laws, and of censorship on university campuses (e.g. No Platform).[21] In 2018 George Monbiot wrote that "Spiked’s writers rage against exposures of dark money. It calls The Observer’s Carole Cadwalladr, who has won a string of prizes for exposing the opaque spending surrounding the Brexit vote, “the closest thing the mainstream British media has to an out-and-out conspiracy theorist”.[22]

Spiked regularly critiques risk society, political correctness, and environmentalism.[22] As regards the latter, a particular Spiked target has been what they see as "exaggerated" and "hysterical" interpretations of the scientific consensus on global warming, and what they argue are double standards advocated by more advanced Western nations for self-serving reasons.[23]

Spiked opposed the post-9/11 invasions of Afghanistan and of Iraq and Western interference in developing nations in general.[24][25][26] It seeks to counter what it sees as a recent trend in Western foreign policy: humanitarian intervention.[27]

Frank Furedi, interviewed in Spiked, said that the stance of LM and Spiked springs from the tradition of the "anti-Stalinist left". He argued that the reason why many in the left tradition have difficulties in identifying these ideas with the left is that they completely misunderstand the humanist political position of being progressive in terms of human progress, science, rationality and freedom, and yet be completely anti-state:

...much of the left in the twentieth century tended to be influenced by Stalinist and Social-Democratic traditions, which means they could not imagine that you could be left-wing and anti-state...so they were confused by us. But that was their fault, not ours. It was a product of their own abandonment of liberty in favour of ideas about state control.[28]

Environmentalists such as George Monbiot[29][22] and Peter Melchett have suggested that the group of writers associated with LM, several of whom went on to form the core editorial group at Spiked, continue to constitute a 'LM Network' pursuing an ideologically motivated 'anti-environmentalist' agenda under the guise of promoting humanism.[30][31] Writers who used to write for Living Marxism reject this as a 'McCarthyite' conspiracy theory.[32] Monbiot described their views as having, "less in common with the left than with the fanatical right."[33] In 2018 Monbiot wrote that, "Its articles repeatedly defend figures on the hard right or far right: Katie Hopkins, Nigel Farage, Alex Jones, the Democratic Football Lads’ Alliance, Tommy Robinson, Toby Young, Arron Banks, Viktor Orbán".[5]

Activists associated with Spiked, sometimes described as part of 'the Spiked network', were active in campaigning for the UK to leave the European Union, with a number of its activists being involved in Nigel Farage's Brexit Party as candidates or publicists.[34][35][36][22][37]
Spiked Review of Books
SRB masthead.gif

The Spiked Review of Books is a monthly online literary criticism feature, based at Spiked. The launch in May 2007 coincided with controversy in the United States following the scaling back of newspaper book review sections.[38] The Spiked Review of Books features editorials by Brendan O'Neill and interviews, essays and reviews by a range of writers, many of whom are regular contributors to Spiked, such as Frank Furedi, Jennie Bristow and Josie Appleton. The cover illustrations are by Jan Bowman.
Funding

A joint investigation between DeSmog UK and The Guardian revealed that Spiked US Inc. has received funding from the Charles Koch Foundation.[4][5][39] The writer George Monbiot suggested that this was due to the online magazine's attacks on left-wing politics, its support of hard right or far right figures, and the many articles it publishes by writers supported by the Institute of Economic Affairs and the Koch funded Cato Institute.[5][6]

https://i0.wp.com/mediabiasfactcheck.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/right081.png?w=600&ssl=1

https://i2.wp.com/mediabiasfactcheck.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/MBFCMixed.png?w=355&ssl=1

Spiked Magazine

Has this Media Source failed a fact check?LET US KNOW HERE.
Share:
Spiked Magazine - Right Bias - Conservative - Libertarian - Republican - Tory Factual Reporting: Mixed - Not always Credible or Reliable
RIGHT BIAS

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.

Overall, we rate Spiked Magazine Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that mostly favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a failed a fact check as well as publishing misleading scientific information.

Detailed Report

Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: UK 33/180

History

Launched in 2001, Spiked is a British Internet magazine focusing on politics, culture and society from a libertarian viewpoint. Spiked focuses on issues of freedom and state control, science and technology, culture, education and literature. According to their about page “Spiked is the magazine that wants to change the world as well as report on it. We are committed to fighting for humanism, democracy and freedom. “The current editor is Brendan O’Neill.

View our country profile on UK Media and Government

Funded by / Ownership

Spiked is owned by Spiked Limited, which is a company owned by Frank Furedi and Jennie Bristow. Funding has come from the Charles Koch Foundation and currently revenue is generated through donations and onsite advertising.

Analysis / Bias

In review, Spiked publishes news and commentary with a conservative/libertarian bias. There is frequent use of loaded emotional language such as this: The barbarism of identity politics. There is also many articles featuring anti-feminist tones such as this: #MeToo has ruined the office romance. When it comes to UK politics they are fiercely pro-Brexit and when covering USA politics they report favorably on President Donald Trump such this: If Trump is Hitler, then Obama was Hitler too. There is also some articles opposed to Trump such as this: The idiocy of Trump’s Iran-baiting. When it comes to climate science, Spiked has varied editorial positions with most supporting the notion that global warming is indeed impacted by humans, however, they prefer a limited Government role, which does not align with climate scientists recommendations. They have also published misleading information such as this: Global warming: the 97% fallacy.

A factual search reveals one failed fact check.

Overall, we rate Spiked Magazine Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that mostly favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a failed a fact check as well as publishing misleading scientific information. (D. Van Zandt 12/27/2016) Updated (8/10/2019)

Source: http://spiked-online.com/

coldjoint

Wed 20 May, 2020 12:22 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Spiked (also written as sp!ked) is a British Internet magazine focusing on politics, culture and society.

All your source attacks prove is that you cannot read something and figure out what is says without somebody telling you whose side they are on. It does not say much for you.

These rapes happened and Spike's political lean does not change that fact. Take your fact checkers and shove them.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 20 May, 2020 12:25 pm
@coldjoint,
What my sources point out is its not me kicking your dog.
coldjoint

Wed 20 May, 2020 12:28 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
What my sources point out is its not me kicking your dog.

Those are not sources, they self appointed blowholes trying to tell people how and what to think. And you are wrapped around their finger.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 20 May, 2020 12:30 pm
@coldjoint,
Sez you. Where's your documentation??? Feel free to debunk my sources.
coldjoint

Wed 20 May, 2020 12:39 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Feel free to debunk my sources.

I just did. A person that cannot think for himself needs those sources, I do not. That is all the documentation you need, and all you are going to get.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 20 May, 2020 01:19 pm
@coldjoint,
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaa!!!!!

Funeee boy!!

Another words: ya ain't got zip!
0 Replies

livinglava

Wed 20 May, 2020 01:24 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Sez you. Where's your documentation??? Feel free to debunk my sources.

Your quote was in response to the following:
Quote:

Those are not sources, they self appointed blowholes trying to tell people how and what to think. And you are wrapped around their finger.

He told you that your 'sources' are just ideological reinforcements, not sources of actual information/facts.

You responded by demanding 'documentation' and challenging him to debunk you.

In short, you are just a gangster who assembles a gang of sources and then challenges people to assemble their own gang to fight yours.

The purpose of citing sources is not to assemble a gang for a fight, but to allow people to examine the information you are using to make a point.

Ultimately what matters is your point and how you make it, and source-checks are only important where your point rests on data that could be wrong.

In short, you're abusing the whole principle of information-sourcing by making it into a game of whose gang is bigger and more difficult to debunk, without any real concern for finding real flaws in reasoning or facts/information.
coldjoint

Wed 20 May, 2020 02:19 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
without any real concern for finding real flaws in reasoning or facts/information.

Exactly. Facts can have a Right or Left spin. It does not mean they are not facts. And he refuses to challenge those facts he deflects with fact checkers.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 20 May, 2020 02:23 pm
@livinglava,
In short, can I have spinach instead of iceberg. You sure argue like a LaRuchie!
0 Replies

livinglava

Wed 20 May, 2020 02:45 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
without any real concern for finding real flaws in reasoning or facts/information.

Exactly. Facts can have a Right or Left spin. It does not mean they are not facts. And he refuses to challenge those facts he deflects with fact checkers.

He doesn't want to reflect on that or discuss it. He just wants to engage in the fight, not discuss how it works.

In the post right after yours, he mentions someone called, 'LaRuchie' for the second time but he doesn't say anything to explain what he means or try to convey meaning. He just uses accusation and ridicule as a tactic to attack others without explaining his points or what he means and why he's saying/posting the things he does.

He even uses exclamation points to give his inflammatory posts that much more firepower. I wish the forum would shut him down for being inflammatory, but I don't think there are such moderators here, or if there are they are partisan and allow that kind of inflammatory rhetoric as long as its left-wing.
revelette3

Wed 20 May, 2020 03:11 pm
@RABEL222,
The article isn't edited. The tapes were edited. Like Biden said, even the edited version says nothing to get upset about, certainly the edited version didn't say what conservatives people are saying it said. An example of another right wing conservative propaganda trick.

Quote:
Andriy Derkach, an independent member of Ukraine’s parliament who previously aligned with a pro-Russian faction, said at a news conference in Kyiv on Tuesday that he had received the tapes — which consist of edited fragments of phone conversations Biden and Poroshenko had while still in office — from “investigative journalists.” He alleged they were made by Poroshenko.

Quote:
The tapes released in Kyiv offered no evidence to back Giuliani’s long-standing accusation that Biden pushed for the prosecutor general’s ouster to help his son. At the time, Hunter Biden was earning between $50,000 and $100,000 a month on the board of the Ukrainian gas company Burisma, whose owner, a former government minister, was under investigation in Ukraine. Still, the tapes gave Trump’s allies a chance to recycle that allegation closer to the 2020 election.

The Biden campaign viewed the release of the tapes as a continuation of a long-standing Russian effort to hurt the former vice president, pointing to the role that RT, the Russian state-controlled news network, played in promoting the tapes and Derkach’s ties to Russian interests.

“They heavily edited this, and it’s still a nothingburger that landed with a thud,” Biden spokesman Andrew Bates said.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 20 May, 2020 03:49 pm
@livinglava,
You ought to teach me a big lesson by ignoring me.
RABEL222

Wed 20 May, 2020 06:37 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I went to the spiked site and read a few articles. You are right as usual CJ is expressing his opinion not fact.
RABEL222

Wed 20 May, 2020 06:40 pm
Rev. If the tapes were edited than so was the article. Not all the facts came out and unless I can read all the facts I dismiss the article as fact.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 20 May, 2020 07:39 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
You are right as usual CJ is expressing his opinion not fact.

Sorry, it is fact the UK authorities covered up thousands of rapes by Muslim men for over a decade. Those girls never got justice because the UK authorities are intimidated by Islam and they should be more than ashamed.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 20 May, 2020 08:02 pm
https://i2.wp.com/uncoverdc.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/51.jpg?resize=696%2C688&ssl=1
Landslide, my ass. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Real Music

Wed 20 May, 2020 08:10 pm
https://i.imgflip.com/1k9l9w.jpg
coldjoint

Wed 20 May, 2020 08:14 pm
@Real Music,
Adam Schiff is corrupt and has a pencil neck and most likely chicken legs.
0 Replies