monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

livinglava

Sat 16 May, 2020 09:04 am
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:

I have turned into a total cynic, but the Democrats should just save their breath and energy of the crises on hand. Trump is Trump; he is going to keep doing things like that and getting away with it. Right now our only hope for the country is to actually vote him out along with all his enabling administration and spineless Republicans in the Senate. If we only get one out two, our country has a chance of slowing the downward slide into a failed state we are presently on.

Biden said not to vote for him if you believe the sexual allegations, but it might be a code that really means that you should not believe her in order to vote for him.

I read an article where he was also asked if he would avoid retaliating against Trump if he was elected and his response was something to the effect that he wouldn't attempt to interfere in any prosecution, and that he was very hands off.

So basically he's saying that he will let the deep state retaliate against Trump in any way they want if he's elected, but he won't take any responsibility for that; and his strategy for dealing with a politically-motivated sexual allegation is to say not to vote for him if you believe her, but the underlying message is don't believe her and vote for him.

I don't understand why someone who thinks it's absolutely critical to oust Trump from the White House would say not to vote for him because of a sexual allegation, even if it was true. Shouldn't he say that even if he is guilty of it, he is the only person who can save the US and the world from Trump so people are just going to have to postpone holding him accountable for any sexual abuse until after he's done saving the world from Trump?

I mean, if you really believe that there's a terrible fire that needs to be put out, do you arrest the lead fire fighter for a sexual allegation before the fire is put out?
bobsal u1553115

Sat 16 May, 2020 09:18 am
@livinglava,
Quote:

Biden said not to vote for him if you believe the sexual allegations, but it might be a code that really means that you should not believe her in order to vote for him.

I read an article where he was also asked if he would avoid retaliating against Trump if he was elected and his response was something to the effect that he wouldn't attempt to interfere in any prosecution, and that he was very hands off.

So basically he's saying that he will let the deep state retaliate against Trump in any way they want if he's elected, but he won't take any responsibility for that; and his strategy for dealing with a politically-motivated sexual allegation is to say not to vote for him if you believe her, but the underlying message is don't believe her and vote for him.

Some Olive oil and balsamic with that?

Do you really try to decode EVERYTHING? I can't wait until you do the same treatment to Donny Fat Cheeks.
livinglava

Sat 16 May, 2020 09:25 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Quote:

Some Olive oil and balsamic with that?

Do you really try to decode EVERYTHING? I can't wait until you do the same treatment to Donny Fat Cheeks.

I try to understand what I read, yes.

Why are you so hostile? Are you really that partisan that you would rather say meaningless things like this than discuss the content of my post?

Do you think my interpretation of what I read about Biden is wrong? Do you have a better interpretation? If so, why don't you explain your POV instead of calling mine, 'word salad?'
farmerman

Sat 16 May, 2020 10:44 am
@livinglava,
word salad becuse of 2 things
1.The actual evidence about Obamagate (with Biden) are refutable with EVIDENCE

2. Trump coined the term OBAMAGATE and could not verify even what it was about

3 Trump is a proven serial liar.
livinglava

Sat 16 May, 2020 10:59 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

word salad becuse of 2 things
1.The actual evidence about Obamagate (with Biden) are refutable with EVIDENCE

2. Trump coined the term OBAMAGATE and could not verify even what it was about

3 Trump is a proven serial liar.

1)"Word salad" refers to text that is made up of words strung together without meaning; not coherent sentences/paragraphs that you happen to disagree with because you have a different POV or political stance.

2) What does anything about 'Obamagate' have to do with my post that bobsal called "word salad?" I think you are just responding to my post to bring up this other issue without actually going back to read the post that was called, "word salad" in the first place.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 16 May, 2020 11:43 am
@farmerman,
The Lancet (opinion):Reviving the US CDC
Quote:
[...]
The Administration is obsessed with magic bullets—vaccines, new medicines, or a hope that the virus will simply disappear. But only a steadfast reliance on basic public health principles, like test, trace, and isolate, will see the emergency brought to an end, and this requires an effective national public health agency. The CDC needs a director who can provide leadership without the threat of being silenced and who has the technical capacity to lead today's complicated effort.
The Trump administration's further erosion of the CDC will harm global cooperation in science and public health, as it is trying to do by defunding WHO. A strong CDC is needed to respond to public health threats, both domestic and international, and to help prevent the next inevitable pandemic. Americans must put a president in the White House come January, 2021, who will understand that public health should not be guided by partisan politics.
[My emphasis]
bobsal u1553115

Sat 16 May, 2020 12:03 pm
Conservative William Kristol: ‘We’re really going to pay a price for this terrible failure in leadership’

By KK Ottesen
May 12, 2020 at 8:00 a.m. CDT

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/conservative-willliam-kristol-were-really-going-to-pay-a-price-for-this-terrible-failure-in-leadership/2020/05/11/16a87c84-7818-11ea-b6ff-597f170df8f8_story.html

William Kristol, 67, is a neoconservative political commentator and editor at large of the Bulwark. He founded the Weekly Standard and served in two Republican administrations.

You’ve become a prominent member of the resistance with Never Trumpers, Republicans for the Rule of Law, Meeting of the Concerned. Is that a role you could have imagined for yourself earlier in your career?

I think I've always had a kind of heterodox or contrarian streak. I think I've usually been willing to stand up to the powers that be, to some degree. But I don't like it, honestly, when people overdo how difficult and noble this is or something. I mean, God knows, in the big scheme of things, it's nothing compared to what millions of people have done across the world in standing up for their beliefs against leaders and governments. And, in a way, being free from that kind of orthodoxy has been somewhat liberating.
AD

We hear a lot about the difference between Republicans’ private vs. public views of President Trump. As someone in a small minority of the party who has spent the past few years trying to rally fellow Republicans, fellow conservatives, to stand up to him, have you been surprised by that

I have been surprised by the total capitulation to Trump. I never liked the, Well, in private, they say this. I mean, at some point, that is not an excuse; it’s almost meaningless. People’s behavior in public, if you’re a public official, is your behavior. It really came to a head on impeachment, where we fought hard trying to get Republicans to do the right thing and failed entirely, except for Romney. I think that brought home to me, and should have brought home to everyone, that Republican members of Congress should get zero credit for saying things in private that they’re not willing to say in public. At least the true believers believe it, right? I mean, is going along really a more admirable stance? Is being a cynical apparatchik better than being a true believer?

But, yeah, I guess I am a little depressed by the failure of civic and political courage in standing up to Trump. We're not back in Germany. We're not in the Soviet Union. We're not even in Hungary, in Venezuela. I mean, what are you really putting on the line?

It’s astounding for so many people to go along with something that they don’t believe.

That’s a good way of putting it: They don’t believe it. But I think they also don’t believe it’s that damaging. I guess if you had to give a reasonable argument, it wouldn’t be that they believe it or that they’re intimidated even, exactly, but — and I used to hear this when I talked to these people, which I don’t do much anymore: “Come on, Bill, it’s not that bad. He’s a jerk, and he says stupid things, but the system is the system. It’s working adequately.” They think they’re getting some good policies out of it. “We’ll get beyond this. I mean, he’s not destroying our institutions. The civility stuff is probably overrated. And anyway, we were losing when we believed in that.”

People in both parties and in every institution, whether businesses or the media or anything, you put up with certain things. You have a boss who's a jerk, or even a creep. And, you know, he'll move on. You're not going to leave your job, necessarily. You're going to wait him out, and the institution will produce someone better. You have a bad teacher for your kids one year. It doesn't mean you leave the school. It means you sort of accommodate and get beyond it. That's sort of life, right? It's not a crazy point of view.

I guess the fundamental dispute is how much damage [Trump] is doing to the country. And I do feel like now that’s kind of evident. Sticking with him even now, in the midst of this incredibly damaging bungling of the coronavirus, is pretty astounding. The tribalism. I mean, I had low hopes. I didn’t really expect people to jump ship even on this, but to see it play out day to day and week to week, it’s astonishing.

I've always slightly objected to the — "Well, Trump's just a symptom, you know. The problem is deeper." Of course, that's true in some ways. Hyperpolarization was already there, hyperpartisanship. And it was creating real, genuine dangers and challenges to our system. But he's a symptom who makes the problem much worse. He's the infection that makes the underlying medical issue inoperable. [Laughs.] Which is why you need to deal with the infection first, which is why politically you need to deal with Trump before you can solve other things.

Has this pandemic changed the way you think about the importance of leadership?

No, but I think it’s reinforced my conservative view that you don’t want to put all your eggs in the basket of the federal government or the presidency. For all the problems of federalism in terms of dealing with a national problem like the coronavirus, it’s been good that we have states and localities and the private sector and civic institutions and the media and universities and churches; there are some limits to the damage he can do. Now, when you have a national challenge like this, unfortunately, he can do a lot of damage, and he has. Even so, you could argue that [Anthony] Fauci and everyone else are sort of a testimony that the institutions can still ultimately do some good. So that part reassures one a little bit about America.

But having said that, we're really going to pay a price for this terrible failure in leadership. Probably three years ago, I was a little more, Look, the institutions are strong, and they will beat him back. But watching the way in which he has corroded the constraints on him within the government and gotten rid of various guardrails and corrupted certain institutions, it reminds you that four years — four years is a lot better than eight years, but it can still do quite a lot of damage.

You were critical in shaping the conservative movement up until now — even in sort of introducing populism into it in blessing the choice of Sarah Palin on the ticket. How do you feel about those contributions? Are there decisions you wish you could take back?

My column, the Sunday before [John] McCain made the choice, was to urge him to pick [Joe] Lieberman because I thought a national unity ticket was the way to go. It became clear to me he wasn't going to do that. And then I said, Okay, we'll take a gamble on Palin. I regret that. Because she turned out to be much more unsuited for the office than I expected. To be fair, if you look at what she said in 2008, apart from some of the silliness, she was not anti-immigration. She was not xenophobic. She was not isolationist. She was pro-free trade. You know, she echoed McCain. So, in a funny way, if we could have co-opted some of the populism and given them a place in a McCain-nominated Republican Party, maybe that would have been a good outcome. But it didn't work out that way.

But people like me fought [Pat] Buchanan. We fought Ron Paul. I feel like, on the whole, we were pretty alert to the challenges from the right. Pretty alert, but not totally alert. So yeah, there are things that I wish now we did more. Having said that, it's a huge country, and any majority party is going to have 60 million people voting for it. And just as people on the right want to attack Joe Biden because Ilhan Omar said something offensive, it would equally be pointless to go back and find what the equivalent of the right wing Ilhan Omar said 15 years ago, and why didn't you go more crazy about it?

At the end of the day, this is a party that nominated Bush and Dole and Bush and Bush and, you know, McCain and Romney. You don’t look at that and think, Oh my God, this is, like, anti-democratic or illiberal or horrible. But I think [the Republican Party] will be an unhealthy party until there’s an explicit repudiation of Trump. And I don’t see that happening anytime soon. Even if he loses.

Are you able to go back, then, or do you see yourself permanently outside the party?

I don’t think going back is really plausible. Three years ago I was using the rhetoric, or terminology, of “going back to,” or “saving,” or “restoring.” Those kinds of words. But Trump’s been renominated, and liberating the party from Trump or Trumpism seems awfully far-fetched. Obviously, if he loses in November, things are in more flux, and maybe there’s some opportunities. But I can’t honestly conceive of working with Mitch McConnell and John Cornyn and Kevin McCarthy. I’m just disgusted by what they’ve been doing, really, for the last three years, that I don’t much look forward to that.

We’re in a new moment. Both because of Trump and also because of what’s happening now [with the pandemic]. It’s interesting, intellectually, honestly, trying to think through where one should go on a lot of issues in the country. It’s a new set of circumstances. We need to really think in a fresh way.
Baldimo

Sat 16 May, 2020 12:33 pm
@livinglava,
Are you just figuring this out about a good portion of the leftist posters on this site? All they can do is talk **** and deflect from what you are actually talking about, it's all they really have left.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sat 16 May, 2020 12:35 pm
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 16 May, 2020 12:37 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Conservative William Kristol:

People stopped listening to Kristol after Trump was elected. He has been irrelevant since then. Anti or never Trumpers are a dime a dozen. They spout rhetoric and whine.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 16 May, 2020 01:15 pm
Quote:
Trump Fires State Department Inspector General Steve Linick, Leftists Meltdown. There’s More To The Story.

Quote:
Two sources familiar with Linick’s ouster told the DCNF that while they were not certain of the precise reason that the watchdog was fired, he was under investigation last year by the Department of Defense’s inspector general for mishandling sensitive material.

The sources spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.

Trump has no reason to keep people who seek to undermine him. No president needs people like that. But they do not need people like Obama had either willing to abuse their power for political gain.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/trump-fires-state-department-inspector-general-steve-linick-leftists-meltdown-theres-more-to-the-story
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 16 May, 2020 01:22 pm
Quote:

Remember How Everybody Was Going to Die Because Georgia Ended Lockdowns?

People here probably do not want to hear this because it does not help them because they prefer fascist lockdowns. Funny how more deaths has turned into a political issue rather than medical issue. Either way the increased death count never happened. Meaning Kemp was right and "they" were wrong.
Quote:
By the time Governor Kemp announced his “gamble” in the third week of April, the number of COVID-19 deaths in Georgia had already peaked. While the number of reported cases was still continuing to rise (it did not peak until April 27, when 937 new cases were reported), this was an artifact, the result of more widespread testing, which identified asymptomatic or mild cases. Throughout the course of Georgia’s coronavirus outbreak so far, there have been 1,557 deaths and, with the daily death toll still decreasing steadily, it seems unlikely the state will experience the “renewed outbreak” that Kemp’s critics warned about.

As of 10 a.m. today, Georgia’s per-capita death rate from COVID-19 (measured in deaths per million residents) was 150, which was 88.5% lower than the rate of New York’s death rate of 1,417.

Oh, and just for your information, the daily number of U.S. coronavirus deaths nationwide peaked at 2,683 — on April 21, which was 25 days ago. The highest daily number of deaths in the past week was 1,772 on Wednesday (May 13), and that number was 34% below the April 21 peak

https://theothermccain.com/2020/05/16/remember-how-everybody-was-going-to-die-because-georgia-ended-lockdowns/
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 16 May, 2020 01:44 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You're living in La-la Land. With no vaccine, social distancing and "lockdown" are intended to slow the inevitable spread of the virus, so as not to overwhelm hospitals. With sufficient medical resources, those who do contract the virus have a shot at surviving. Without such measures, they're doomed. In addition, when the health care system is overwhelmed, thousands of people who do not have the virus, but who are suffering from severe morbidity or trauma are likely doomed, too.
Really, buddy, I think you have completely failed to see this situation realistically.

It would be a bit surprising if I'd missed that rationale, Set. I protested the use of "delay" as it opens the door for those who might/will argue that mitigation efforts are merely delaying the inevitable spread of the virus - that X number of humans are fated to become infected regardless of what measures we take.

It's possible no one will come up with an effective vaccine but that wouldn't be my wager. It seems a certainty that more resources worldwide are now allocated to this task than any comparable prior instance. To the degree that we can localize outbreaks and minimize spreading we're not just helping hospitals cope but also preventing an uncontrolled spread around the planet.

Does that make sense?

blatham

Sat 16 May, 2020 02:30 pm
Quote:
Charles Eichacker
@ceichacker
· 3h
Former Maine Gov LePage spoke to protesters at a rally in Augusta against Gov. Janet Mills’ coronavirus related business restrictions on Saturday. But he stayed in a Lexus with Florida plates and spoke through the phone to a crowd about 40 feet away, then appeared to leave.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EYJ3Z-ZXgAQWZT5?format=jpg&name=900x900

Integrity. It's the Republican brand.
blatham

Sat 16 May, 2020 03:32 pm
Texas reports single-day high in coronavirus deaths two weeks after reopening http://hill.cm/umXgbWH

Shocking outcome!
coldjoint

Sat 16 May, 2020 04:05 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Texas reports single-day high in coronavirus deaths two weeks after reopening

How many of those are from Covid 19? There is no way of knowing. Trump is not responsible for Texas.
coldjoint

Sat 16 May, 2020 04:07 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Integrity. It's the Republican brand.

The only thing you know about integrity is how to spell it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 16 May, 2020 04:09 pm
@coldjoint,
apparently trump is neither responsible for or against anything to do with this mess. Hes jut a guy eating his bacon double cheeseburgers , his pizza pizza, all washed down with a Jamoca Shake.
coldjoint

Sat 16 May, 2020 04:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Americans must put a president in the White House come January, 2021, who will understand that public health should not be guided by partisan politics.

Democrats are the partisans holding things like peoples health for ransom for policies that would never get enough votes to be implemented. Sheer projection.

Trump is not the bad guy here. He seldom is.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 16 May, 2020 04:13 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Hes jut a guy eating his bacon double cheeseburgers , his pizza pizza, all washed down with a Jamoca Shake.

Then don't bitch about in his second term.
0 Replies