monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Setanta

Tue 5 May, 2020 09:57 am
@blatham,
Oh Jeeze . . . you don't actually expect them to risk their own lives, do you? Surely Murdoch doesn't pay them that much.
farmerman

Tue 5 May, 2020 10:01 am
@Setanta,
maybe Ollie meant that Polk was a "Workaholic".
Setanta

Tue 5 May, 2020 10:13 am
@farmerman,
Actually, it was Joint who said Polk was an alcoholic. Then Joint went on to accuse me of ignoring alcoholism, with the concomitant accusation of my not caring about the tragedy of alcoholism. I told him he was full of ****. Then Oralloy came along to say that he didn't see any errors in Joint's post. You know how Ollie is, he doesn't make any errors, and no one can point out any errors in his posts. He had transferred that to Joint. Ironically, Joint then posted that he had confused Polk with Franklin Pierce. Pierce did die of cirrhosis of the liver. None of that mattered to Ollie, of course, he just blathered on about how no one can ever point to errors in his posts.

Oralloy should apply to Murdoch for a job with Fox News--he'd be Rupert's kind of guy.
coldjoint

Tue 5 May, 2020 10:54 am
@blatham,
Quote:

"There is no genius there, only a damaged human being playing havoc with our lives."

Look at that, Rosen sums up his own article so no one has to read it.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Tue 5 May, 2020 10:55 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Yup. Rosen is one voice I never ignore.

All the more reason for everyone else to ignore him.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Tue 5 May, 2020 11:13 am
Quote:

Nobel Prize-Winning Scientist Says Data Shows COVID-19 Lockdowns is an Overreaction

Did he get his prize for common sense?
Quote:
Nobel Prize-Winning Professor Michael Levitt says that the lockdowns meant to stave off the coronavirus are doing more damage than the virus itself.

Levitt, a professor of structural biology at the Stanford School of Medicine, won the 2013 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for “the development of multiscale models for complex chemical systems.”

The professor says he has looked at the data and finds the justification for lockdowns to be wanting.

Overreaction, in Nobel language.
Quote:
Levitt added that allowing the virus more freedom to spread will create a herd immunity much faster and shorten the length of the epidemic.

“I think the policy of herd immunity is the right policy. I think Britain was on exactly the right track before they were fed wrong numbers. And they made a huge mistake. I see the standout winners as Germany and Sweden. They didn’t practice too much lockdown and they got enough people sick to get some herd immunity,” Levitt said.

https://thewashingtonsentinel.com/nobel-prize-winning-scientist-says-data-shows-covid-19-lockdowns-is-an-overreaction/

livinglava

Tue 5 May, 2020 11:50 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

Nobel Prize-Winning Scientist Says Data Shows COVID-19 Lockdowns is an Overreaction

Did he get his prize for common sense?
Quote:
Nobel Prize-Winning Professor Michael Levitt says that the lockdowns meant to stave off the coronavirus are doing more damage than the virus itself.

Levitt, a professor of structural biology at the Stanford School of Medicine, won the 2013 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for “the development of multiscale models for complex chemical systems.”

The professor says he has looked at the data and finds the justification for lockdowns to be wanting.

Overreaction, in Nobel language.
Quote:
Levitt added that allowing the virus more freedom to spread will create a herd immunity much faster and shorten the length of the epidemic.

“I think the policy of herd immunity is the right policy. I think Britain was on exactly the right track before they were fed wrong numbers. And they made a huge mistake. I see the standout winners as Germany and Sweden. They didn’t practice too much lockdown and they got enough people sick to get some herd immunity,” Levitt said.

https://thewashingtonsentinel.com/nobel-prize-winning-scientist-says-data-shows-covid-19-lockdowns-is-an-overreaction/

What basis does he have to measure the negative effects of lockdowns?

From what I've heard, hospitals are getting less business, which means there are less crashes, accidents, and injuries happening than usual.

I've also seen many photos and reports of improved air-quality around the world as a result of decreased traffic.

So what exactly is the harm in allowing 'herd immunity' to progress at a slower rate by reducing rates of public interaction/exposure?

Did this Nobel Prize winner already spend all his prize money and he needs the economy to churn up some more for him to do some more shopping?

What else is the problem with the economy being on pause to give vulnerable people more time to get in shape, wait for a vaccine, and/or maybe just avoid getting sick and dying because the virus never makes it to them?

Do those vulnerable people really need to die so people can start paying their bills again? Aren't there enough industries still working on basic necessities to keep people from going hungry, ending up homeless, or otherwise falling into actually poverty (i.e. not the kind of 'poverty' where you just want to make more money because you feel other people have it better than you do)?
coldjoint

Tue 5 May, 2020 11:55 am
@livinglava,
Quote:

Do those vulnerable people really need to die so people can start paying their bills again?

No, the vulnerable people need to take precautions recommended by their doctors or public health officials who do not have an agenda.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Tue 5 May, 2020 12:06 pm
Quote:
WH Deputy Press Secretary Rips Into CNN for 'Spreading Misinformation' Designed to 'Cause Panic'

Twitter warning!
Quote:
Even though I released a statement today, which multiple people at @CNN confirmed receiving, @CNN just aired a package about a "new internal document" on #COVID19 deaths with no mention of my statement that said this is not a WH doc & is not reflective of data the TF analysed.
— Judd Deere (@JuddPDeere45) May 4, 2020

I would call that lying' not misleading. CNN is garbage. CNN reports garbage. More Twitter.
Quote:
The President has no higher priority than the health of the American people, and spreading misinformation like this is irresponsible and only meant to cause panic.
— Judd Deere (@JuddPDeere45) May 4, 2020

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/juliorosas/2020/05/05/white-house-press-secretary-calls-out-cnn-for-spreading-misinformation-designed-to-cause-panic-n2568178
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 5 May, 2020 01:08 pm
@Setanta,
Right. Absolutely predictable behavior by the Fox people. But once again it demonstrates how Fox correctly judges the intelligence of its audience.
coldjoint

Tue 5 May, 2020 01:11 pm
https://www.whatfinger.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/barrrrrrr.jpg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 5 May, 2020 01:13 pm
@blatham,
“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.” Mencken said it, and PT Barnum and Fox have proven it.
coldjoint

Tue 5 May, 2020 02:03 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Fox have proven it.

Give credit where it is due, The NYT, the WP, ABC,CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, Politico, TPM, Media Matters lied for three years to people that gobbled up those lies like chickens in a cornfield. Do not talk about suckers when you are one of many who believed that crap that has been or will be proven false, and with indictments.

The bad habit of telling only part of truth hurts the almost 0 credibility those networks and sources have even more. Projection is projection and again it falls flat.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 5 May, 2020 02:05 pm
A mutant coronavirus has emerged, even more contagious than the original, study says
Source: LA Times

Scientists have identified a new strain of the coronavirus that has become dominant worldwide and appears to be more contagious than the versions that spread in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a new study led by scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

The new strain appeared in February in Europe, migrated quickly to the East Coast of the United States and has been the dominant strain across the world since mid-March, the scientists wrote.

In addition to spreading faster, it may make people vulnerable to a second infection after a first bout with the disease, the report warned.

(snip) Wherever the new strain appeared, it quickly infected far more people than the earlier strains that came out of Wuhan, China, and within weeks it was the only strain that was prevalent in some nations, according to the report. The new strain's dominance over its predecessors demonstrates that it is more infectious, according to the report, though exactly why is not yet known.

Read more: https://news.yahoo.com/mutant-coronavirus-emerged-even-more-110046843.html

This is the variant that hit New York. Analysis of reports from Wuhan before the lockdown suggests that SARS-Cov-2 had an R0 of 5.7. A more contagious strain is mind-blowing.
coldjoint

Tue 5 May, 2020 02:13 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
A mutant coronavirus has emerged, even more contagious than the original, study says

Panic in Detroit! Onslaught in Oslo! That will speed up the herd immunity the country needs.
farmerman

Tue 5 May, 2020 02:21 pm
@Setanta,
Ollie, Ollie has all 3 of his arguments on a spool so he doesnt have to recall any more words.
blatham

Tue 5 May, 2020 03:30 pm
Quote:
“TRUMP IS REALLY AIMING TO TAKE DOWN FOX”: A GROUP ASSOCIATED WITH DONALD TRUMP JR. IS BUYING A MAJOR STAKE IN OANN

Possibly hedging against a 2020 loss, the Trump family builds ties to a network that’s much more loyal than Fox.

...Trump’s view that Fox is insufficiently loyal has motivated him to look for a more reliable media partner. On April 26, he tweeted: “The people who are watching @FoxNews, in record numbers (thank you President Trump), are angry. They want an alternative now. So do I!”

Trump now is on the verge of having that alternative. According to sources, an investor group aligned with his son Don Jr. and the Dallas-based Hicks family has acquired a major stake in One America News Network, the fledgling conservative cable-news channel that features hosts like Jack Posobiec, a chief promoter of the Pizzagate conspiracy. “[RNC co-chair] Tommy Hicks and Don Jr. have been looking to buy a station for Trump TV,” said one source briefed on the talks. “This is all about building a Fox competitor. Trump is really aiming to take down Fox,” the person briefed on the deal told me. (A person close to Hicks said he resigned his position from the family business when he joined the RNC and isn’t involved in the OANN deal)...
Gabe Sherman

One could also presume that Trump's support for OANN (and to a lesser extent, his promotion of Sinclair) could serve as leverage to pressure Fox News Corp to fall more in line with Trump's needs (if that's even possible). But Sherman knows his stuff and I won't argue the point.

A further note on this Hicks fellow. My ex wife and her prior husband had purchased a multi-million dollar home in Dallas from Hicks' real estate enterprise. Soon after moving in, serious problems began showing up; poor/dangerous construction, extensive black mold, etc. They had to move out and reside in a hotel for some months. They launched a legal action against Hicks to overturn the sale at which point Hicks' lawyers went to the dark side, seeking and gaining access to a daughter's therapy records which they then used in court in an attempt to damage the credibility of the family. You'll be pleased to hear the family won.

But what's really important here is the expanding use of media ownership and audience reach specifically towards spreading disinformation that will aid very corrupt people in controlling the politics of the nation. This is very, very dangerous.

Builder

Tue 5 May, 2020 04:12 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
That will speed up the herd immunity the country needs.

Dayum! And here's me thinking I have my immunity already sorted.

It also lends the lie to serial dickhead Gates, and his plan for selling seven billion bogus vaccines.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 5 May, 2020 04:33 pm
Trump did not push for early testing 'because higher numbers would harm his re-election chances"..

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/coronavirus-testing-trump-election-campaign-dan-diamond-alex-azar-a9399661.html

<snip>

Donald Trump did not push to carry out widespread coronavirus testing because he believed higher confirmed case numbers could be damaging for his re-election campaign, reports have claimed.

<snip>
But the US president is also reported to have been reluctant to launch a campaign of “aggressive testing”, which could have identified key outbreak areas.

<snip>
“That’s partly because more testing might have led to more cases being discovered of coronavirus outbreak,” said Dan Diamond, a Politico health reporter who has been investigating the Trump administration’s response to the coronavirus outbreak.

Speaking to NPR, he added: “The president had made clear – the lower the numbers on coronavirus, the better for the president, the better for his potential re-election this fall.”
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 5 May, 2020 06:19 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Ollie, Ollie has all 3 of his arguments on a spool so he doesnt have to recall any more words.

You misrepresent my arguments because you aren't able to come up with intelligent arguments of your own.
0 Replies