monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 09:39 am
a tiresome poseur wrote:
It kills about 60,000-70,000/ year in this country alone...

It would kill a lot more people if we hadn't developed semi-effective flu vaccines. Covid-19 is also more likely to cause more serious lung infections and kidney failures than we see with the flu, requiring more specialized medical attention and devices. Yes, it's true that comorbidity is a factor, but that's always the case, with influenza and other infectious diseases. There is no humane alternative to treating the ill with the best technology we have available. "Oh, those people are old and sick, we shouldn't be wasting our medical expertise on people who are going to die anyway." Somehow I don't see this sitting well in our society.
layman

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 09:40 am
@layman,
About 40,000 people die from car accidents every year, and millions more are injured. Those lives could be SAVED!!!

Why hasn't this country banned cars yet?
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 09:41 am
@layman,
your another idiot quick with som fake numbers and not understanding a thing. The CDC estimate for last yars flu was 28K and weve just been into a covid"Season or less than 4 months.
Also, why the hell are you Trump lumpers so damned insistent that everything is either or??
As far as I know we still work on better understanding the infection types for each strain of flu and develop vaccines yearly. SO you guys sound like "Lets abandon covid measures because seasonal flu kills a lot of people.
COVID has a potential to be a planet wide big deal should it mutate and com back as another wave (like the Spanish flu)

War is tough, either we fight to win or we pussy out and (as you guys , partisans all) give up and sentence about 25% of the population to a painful eath (just as the Spanish flu)

If it mutates and comes back to attack the young and the old , but you can sit down and eat your McMuffin , thats ok with you.

Back on ignore with you, youre still an apparatchik .
layman

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 09:42 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
We have to lockdown to protect all the people who have become vulnerable to COVID19 because they don't get enough exercise and normal pathogen exposure for their immune systems to function well.

Uhh, no, we don't HAVE to do that.
layman

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 09:45 am
@hightor,
Quote:
There is no humane alternative to treating the ill with the best technology we have available.

There's a difference between "treating" the sick, and paralyzing every perv in the country, eh?
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 09:45 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Did you get the sense that rationale was honest?

Crozier may have violated some naval protocol but I read some of his defenders in the military who said that, given the circumstances, a proper investigation should have been carried out and Modly's action (reportedly at Trump's request) was excessive.
layman

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 09:48 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
War is tough, either we fight to win or we pussy out

Nobody ever won a war by insisting that no soldier ever die, Farmboy. Don't try telling any cheese-eating pussy that, though.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 09:55 am
@farmerman,
PS the "uppr estimates of numbers" are typical "Finnegan Finagle Factors" where CDC estimates undercounting by some math trick. With that in mind, since we are only 3 to 4 months in to a "Infection year' the undercount would add another 30% to the present count of covid dead.

The moron president (who reallly earns his title of Trumptious Pilate) wants to keep hands off unless some miracle occurs so he can bask in it as his idea. If hes going hands off, why doesnt he at least spark the Feds to make and dispense GOOD QUALITY antigen/antibody testing??

Weve only done 2000000 sigma tests in a population of 328000000, and lss than 120000 antibody tests, so we have no fuckin iea where the disease has been, whose immune, whose recovered and whats dos immunity entail. e are in the goddam dark TOTALLY.

Then some moron now wants "Business as usual" I wonder how many of those Michigan Geniuses who were all abreast and screaming into a gateway on Friday gonna com down with infection or who are sporting Antibodies?? The Eastern States where the densest populations are, have wrenched the rope from Trump by reminding him of the Constitution. He may give directive and publish EO's, but the states will IMPLEMNT them.

0 Replies

blatham

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 09:57 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Modly's action (reportedly at Trump's request)

That was the bit which had caught my attention and which fits the pattern.
0 Replies

revelette3

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 10:02 am
Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count

Perhaps if we didn't have such a failure as a US prez we could actually get a handle on testing for the whole US (not just here and there). We could have could had companies devoted to providing the proper surgical masks and gowns for health care workers everywhere. It should have fought like the national crises it was/is, instead of something that would just naturally blow over. Perhaps if the federal government at least had done in the beginning we would not now be prisoners in our homes by this time in which four months have now gone.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 10:04 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
The CDC estimate for last yars flu was 28K and weve just been into a covid"Season or less than 4 months.

Yeah, right, eh?

Quote:
This season CDC estimates that, as of mid-March, between 29,000 and 59,000 have died due to influenza illnesses. Add to that the misery of hundreds of thousands of flu-related hospitalizations and millions of medical visits for flu symptoms this season.

This year's flu season is shaping up to be possibly less severe than the 2017-2018 season, when 61,000 deaths were linked to the virus.

https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/how-many-people-die-of-the-flu-every-year
farmerman

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 10:11 am
@layman,

Oh yeh ?"
The added numbers above the 29K are FFF's as I said. and that was the whole flu season. Weve only begun covid "season"
layman

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 10:13 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Oh yeh ?"
The added numbers above the 29K are FFF's as I said. and that was the whole flu season. Weve only begun covid "season"

So you're sayin the CDC doesn't know what the **** it's talking about, that it? I can't argue with you there.

Quote:
This year's flu season is shaping up to be possibly less severe than the 2017-2018 season, when 61,000 deaths were linked to the virus.
farmerman

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 10:16 am
@layman,
You have a reading comp problem also?

I like Snood's find

"This parachute's really slowing down my fall, think Ill take it off"
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 10:20 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
It would kill a lot more people if we hadn't developed semi-effective flu vaccines.
https://i.imgur.com/NLb0UqB.jpg
Today in Germany, extreme right-wingers and vaccination opponents demonstrated as well
layman

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 10:27 am
Quote:
As of March 26, nearly 80,000 cases [of Kung Flu] have been confirmed, and more than 1,100 people have died. in the US.

ONE THOUSAND DEATHS, I TELLS YA!!!!

You heard that right, ONE THOUSAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to recent data, 80,000 cases "confirmed" suggests that around 7-8 million (or more) are there, but unconfirmed. In Massachusetts 1 out of every 3 randomly tested had the Kung Flu (although none of them showed symptoms).

But still, that's ONE THOUSAND out of "only" eight million. That's unacceptable.

WE'RE ALL GUNNA DIE, I TELLS YA!

0 Replies

snood

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 10:27 am
The most economically, scientifically, and technologically advanced country on the planet is ranked 38th in tests per person. Donald Trump had to work hard to screw up such a massive advantage. His trust in China lost months, as did his belief COVID-19 would magically go away.

@JoeNBC
layman

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 10:38 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
@JoeNBC

Heh.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 10:46 am
Both Oz and Phil admit: THEY ARE WRONG!

Dr. Phil Attempts to Clarify Comparing COVID-19 Deaths to 'Swimming Pool Deaths' -- Admits 'Bad Examples'

https://toofab.com/2020/04/17/dr-phil-insists-us-re-open-arguing-we-dont-shut-the-country-down-for-swimming-pool-deaths/

By TooFab Staff | April 19, 2020 6:12 AM
Dr. Phil Attempts to Clarify Comparing COVID-19 Deaths to 'Swimming Pool Deaths' -- Admits 'Bad Examples'

"I know that those are not contagious, so, probably bad examples," says Dr. Phil of his "smoking, auto crashes, swimming" comparisons.

UPDATE at 6:08am PT on 4/19/20: After the social media fallout from his comments Thursday night, Dr. Phil expanded on his thoughts during his own daily livestream on Friday. While still affirming the potentially dangerous mental health impact from prolonged quarantine, the psychologist acknowledge he may have used "bad examples" in his argument.

"Last night, I said we as a society have chosen to live with certain controllable deadly risks every day -- smoking, auto crashes, swimming -- and yes, I know that those are not contagious, so, probably bad examples," Dr. Phil said. "And I refer to them as numbers of deaths that we apparently find acceptable because we do little or nothing about them. I get that they are not contagious, so they are probably not good examples."

While acknowledging that they were bad examples, he did not mention that some have argued even the numbers he touted were not accurate. For example, he said that 360,000 people die per year in swimming pools, but the actual number is far less. In fact, fewer than 3,900 people accidentally drown in the US every year according to the CDC -- and that includes all bodies of water.

"I am not an infectious disease expert. I am not a microbiologist. I look at this from a human-behavior psychological standpoint," Dr. Phil continued in his video.

"I'm concerned that the deterioration of the mental and physical health can be substantial from enduring prolonged quarantine while also worrying about being infected with a dreaded virus in the midst of a crashing economy, lost jobs and an inability to even feed your family," he said.

"I have said that depression, anxiety, loneliness and a feeling of helplessness among other things can create problems that can last for years and cost lives and that just should not be ignored. And therefore, we need to be looking to safely, responsibly follow the science and get back to our lives as soon as possible." <even if it kills a lot of 'em!>

Original story below...

Dr Phil wants the country reopened, arguing the shut down is doing more damage than coronavirus itself.

The TV star made an appearance on Fox on Thursday night, arguing that the US doesn't close for automobile, smoking or swimming pool deaths.

"Look, the fact of the matter is, we have have people dying... 45,000 people a year die from automobile accidents, 480,000 from cigarettes, 360,000 a year from swimming pools, but we don't shut the country down for that," he told Laura Ingraham. "But yet we're doing it for this? And the fallout is going to last for years because people's lives are being destroyed."

Many more pointed out that McGraw's figures were way off; less than 3,900 people accidentally drown in the US every year according to the CDC -- and that includes all bodies of water, not just swimming pools.

More still highlighted the fact he was comparing annual average fatalities to a brand new virus that has been killing Americans for only one and a half months, and nobody has any idea what the final death toll will be.

And of course there were those who pointed out that Dr Phil is not a medical doctor (so much so that "Mr Phil" started trending); while he has a doctorate in clinical psychology, he is not licensed to practice.

Nevertheless, it was Dr Phil's prognosis that depression and loneliness caused by the shut down would ultimately kill more than COVID-19.

"This is invisible. I can't show you an X-ray of depression, I can't show you an X-ray of anxiety, but the fact of the matter is, the longer this lockdown goes on, the more vulnerable people get," he said.

"And it's like there's a tipping point. There's a point at which people start having enough problems in lockdown that it will actually create more destruction and actually more deaths across time than the actual virus will itself."

He added: "So we think we're protecting people's lives by keeping them locked up. You keep it locked up long enough, there's a paradoxical effect. You actually destroy more lives than you do by letting them go out and protect themselves and up into their lives to fight for what they believe in."

His comments came hot on the heels of fellow TV doctor, Dr OZ, who told another Fox host, Sean Hannity, that a 2-3 percent fatality rate caused by reopening the schools might be an acceptable "tradeoff".

"I tell ya, schools are a very appetizing opportunity," he said. "I just saw a nice piece in The Lancet arguing the opening of schools may only cost us 2 to 3 per cent in terms of total mortality."

"Any life is a life lost, but to get every child back into a school where they're safely being educated, being fed and making the most out of their lives with a theoretical risk on the backside, that might be a tradeoff some folks would consider."

DR OZ: "Schools are a very appetizing opportunity. I just saw a nice piece in The Lancet arguing the opening of schools may only cost us 2 to 3%, in terms of total mortality. Any, you know, any life is a life lost, but ... that might be a tradeoff some folks would consider." 😳 pic.twitter.com/aifMeKTsIv
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) April 16, 2020

He later tried to clarify his comments, admitting he "misspoke", although he never explained his "tradeoff" suggestion.

More than 680,000 Americans have tested positive for COVID-19 so far, and almost 35,000 people have died.

Would you send your kids to a school that bragged they only lost 2 or 3% of their students to preventable causes???

People choose to smoke or drive impaired, or recklessly. NO one chooses to get Covid19. How about waiting a year to get the true death rate and total number of Covid19, at any rate?
0 Replies

layman

Sun 19 Apr, 2020 10:51 am
Imported from another thread saturated with cheese-eaters:

Quote:
One third of participants in Massachusetts study tested positive for coronavirus

The Mass. General study took samples from 200 residents on the street in Chelsea, MA. Participants remained anonymous and provided a drop of blood to researchers, who were able to produce a result in ten minutes with a rapid test.

Sixty-four of the participants tested positive – a “sobering” result, according to Thomas Ambrosino, Chelsea’s city manager. “We've long thought that the reported numbers are vastly under-counting what the actual infection is," Ambrosino told the Boston Globe.

Massachusetts is currently the third-most infected state in the country, with around 34,400 confirmed cases and 1,400 deaths.

Ambrosino called Chelsea the epicenter of the crisis in Massachusetts.

He added: “Still, it's kind of sobering that 30 percent of a random group of 200 people that are showing no symptoms are, in fact, infected.

Infected but no symptoms? That aint even possible, it it? The Kung Flu kills on contact.
0 Replies