Sun 5 Apr, 2020 10:43 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Chris Cuomo of New York

Andrew
georgeob1

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 10:45 am
@hightor,
Thanks for the correction. I should have checked.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 10:53 am
@Lash,
Standard practice in the Indian subcontinent: Pakistan, India, Bangladesh etc.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 11:03 am
@snood,
Quote:
I’m pretty sure it’s metaphorical

Indeed. But metaphors usually have some visualization as a component, as in "the eyes are the windows to the soul". Which led me to wondering how the metaphor in question might be visualized by users.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 11:09 am
@izzythepush,
Weighing up which patients are to be saved in critical situations is actually a decision that lies outside the medical profession (saving lives).

As an aside: my father told me a story from WWII, when the German army was pushed back by Russian troops.
My father studied medicine during that time, but he was also a medic in the tank troops (2nd Medical Company 57) for several months every year (in Russia as a sergeant).
The unit's "advanced dressing station" was in a wing of a large orthodox monastery, my father being the only "doctor" (having studied 6 trimesters [= two years] medicine at that time). Russians troops entered the monastery on the opposite side.
So he had to decide who he would take with his few people - and only five light armoured halftracks left - who he would take with him. He decided on the nine most seriously wounded soldiers.
When they arrived after some days at a field hospital, a military police general asked him, where he had the 5,000 blankets from mentioned advanced dressing station ...

I've got the letters my father wrote in those days to his girl friend (later wife, my mother). He had had very big conscience problems that he had to leave the others behind.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 11:12 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
If, in fact, hundreds of thousands do die, it will just be that much worse for him.
One would find this a rational and morally deserved consequence. And as you know, this is why Trump, Fox and other allies are working so damned hard now to confuse citizens asnd to lay the groundwork for excusing the vast array of failures and to limit access to the polls. But there's much worse for Trump up the road as his favored constituencies get hit by the virus from ignoring prudent advisories and from supporting governments/policies that will serve them poorly when fallen ill.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 11:22 am
@hightor,
Quote:
It's common for political parties to maneuver to obtain the best political result in large spending bills

Not during a national emergency. What did the Republicans hold out for before declaring war on Japan?
Quote:
So exactly how do they do this? Pack up boxes of "rights" and hoard them?

There will be boxes full of illegal votes waiting to go in the mail if Democrats get their way. They love to disenfranchise citizens while they continue to **** on them.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 12:23 pm
A fine rundown by Heather Cox Richardson
Quote:
In an interview on the Fox News Channel on Monday, Trump explained his objection to Democrats’ efforts to appropriate billions of dollars for election security in the $2.2 trillion coronavirus relief package. “The things they had in there were crazy,” he told the hosts. “They had things, levels of voting that if you’d ever agreed to it, you’d never have a Republican elected in this country again.” On Wednesday, the Georgia House Speaker, Republican David Ralston, echoed Trump. He opposed sending absentee ballots to the state’s registered voters because the effort would lead to higher voter participation. That would “be extremely devastating to Republicans and conservatives in Georgia.”

They are saying out loud what scholars of politics have known for a long time: the Republicans are a minority party. They win by keeping their opponents from voting, or by making sure their votes are undercounted.

A democracy is in crisis if the majority of its people do not support the party in power. We can manage a glitch or two, but a systemic perversion of the government through manipulation by one group or another will destroy our faith that our government truly represents us.

Manipulating the vote has a long and shameful history in America, but modern media and computer modeling has enabled today’s Republican Party to carve out its voters with surgical precision.

The process of culling voters began in 1986, when Republicans who knew that Reagan’s budget cuts were unpopular began to talk of cutting down black voting. In a secret memo later made public by a judge, an official for the Republican National Committee explained that paring the voting rolls down in a call for “ballot integrity” “will eliminate at least 60-80,000 folks from the rolls.” Referring to a Senate race, the official noted, “If it’s a close race, which I’m assuming it is, this could keep the black vote down considerably.” (After the memo came out, the chair of the RNC stated “there has never been, nor is there now, any program at the Republican National Committee designed to intimidate or discourage any voter from exercising his or her right to vote…. [T]he purpose of the program was to help election officials make certain that no dead or fictitious persons vote.”)

When Democrats tried to expand voter registration in 1993 with the Motor-Voter Law, which permitted people to sign up to vote when at certain state offices-- including the Department of Motor Vehicles and welfare offices-- Republicans insisted that the Democrats were simply trying to register more of their own “special interest” voters and fought the law.

The next year, losing Republican candidates for office began to charge that they had lost because of “voter fraud,” and in 1996, House and Senate Republicans each launched year-long investigations into what they insisted were problematic elections, including the one that put Dianne Feinstein into the Senate from California. The loser in that contest, who had spent more than $28 million of his own money on his campaign, insisted on national television that there were serious voting irregularities. “I think, frankly, the fraud is overwhelming,” he said. Every study has shown that voter fraud is so rare as to be virtually nonexistent, but Republican leaders kept the case in front of the media for close to a year, helping to convince Americans that voter fraud was a serious issue and that Democrats were winning elections thanks to illegal, usually immigrant, voters.

In 1998, the Florida legislature passed a law to prevent such voter fraud, and the law quickly became a purge of black voters, people presumed to vote Democratic. In the election of 2000, Republican George W. Bush won the state of Florida and thus the election by 537 votes. A later investigation by the United States Commission on Civil Rights revealed “an extraordinarily high and inexcusable level of disenfranchisement,” primarily of Democratic African American voters, in that election.

When Democrat Barack Obama won the presidency in 2008, Republicans set out to guarantee he had a hostile Congress to keep him from accomplishing anything. They raised money from corporate donors to elect Republicans to state legislatures in 2010, so Republicans would redistrict key states after the 2010 census, in a process called “gerrymandering.” They called the plan “REDMAP,” for Redistricting Majority Project. Republicans won control of the key states of Florida, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Ohio, and Michigan, as well as other, smaller states, and they used computer modeling to redraw congressional maps to their advantage. In the 2012 election, Democrats won a majority of 1.4 million votes for House candidates. And yet Republicans came away with 33 more seats than Democrats in the House of Representatives.

The next year, in 2013, when the Supreme Court gutted the 1965 Voting Rights Act with the Shelby County v. Holder decision, by ruling that states could change their voting laws without preclearance by the Department of Justice, Republican state officials immediately began to introduce voter ID laws and bills restricting voter registration.

And now, as the coronavirus pandemic sweeps the nation right before the 2020 election, Trump and the Republican National Committee have launched a multimillion-dollar legal fight to keep Democrats from changing voting rules to enable people under 65 to vote from home, rather than risking their health or violating stay-at-home policies by gathering at polling places to cast ballots. (Republicans are fine with permitting older Americans to vote by mail, recognizing that older voters skew toward them.)

Trump has insisted without evidence since 2016 that he lost New Hampshire that year because of voter fraud, and that if you “deduct the millions of people who voted illegally,” he actually won the popular vote. (Once in office, he set up a voter fraud commission that disbanded in 2018 after finding no widespread voter fraud.) Trump has pointed to voter fraud again this week for his opposition to mail in ballots, and has called for voter ID, which tends to disfranchise Democrats far more than Republicans.

The attempt to suppress the majority in order to stay in power is more than partisanship. It is an illustration that the leaders of today’s Republican Party feel entitled to govern even though they are not popular, entitled to enforce policies they know voters would reject if they could. It also means that Republicans increasingly do not have to answer to the people; their seats are secure...
Walter Hinteler

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 12:38 pm
@blatham,
Fauci: no evidence anti-malaria drug Trump pushes works against virus
Quote:
Donald Trump’s top coronavirus adviser has warned again that there is no scientific evidence to support the use of an unproven anti-malaria drug the president has been pushing as a possible remedy for Covid-19.

In a rambling, hostile White House briefing on Saturday, Trump urged Americans worried about the virus to try hydroxychloroquine, a drug used to treat malaria, arthritis and lupus that has not been extensively tested for other conditions.

“Take it. What do you have to lose?” the president said, suggesting that he might do so himself after asking “my doctors”.

But on Sunday Dr Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top doctor on infectious diseases and a key member of the White House task force, was adamant there was nothing to suggest the medicine had any benefit against coronavirus.

“In terms of science, I don’t think we can definitively say it works,” he told CBS’s Face the Nation.

“The data are really just at best suggestive. There have been cases that show there may be an effect and there are others to show there’s no effect.”

Dr James Phillips, professor of emergency medicine at George Washington University hospital, said Americans could be risking their health if they followed the president’s advice to take a drug for a condition for which it had not been tested.

“We don’t know enough to make medical recommendations,” he told CNN’s Reliable Sources.

“It’s a dangerous message for someone without a medical license to get up there and tell people to try it. You need to listen to physicians, people who understand science, before you go willy-nilly into the medicine cabinet.”
Professor Philipps will soon loose his job.
Setanta

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 12:45 pm
Claiming some constitutional separation of powers between the states and the federal government is classic georgeob1 bullshit. Congress can and frequently has authorized the federal government to act for the common good, the most glaring example in this situation is the Federal Emergency Management Agency. FEMA has converted the McCormick Place convention center into a 500 bed recovery facility for Chicago, as but one example. The Army Corps of Engineers is the most constant example in our history of the government acting without regard to state boundaries. When the Corps of Engineers is interfered with, floods and hurricanes become serious disasters. This is the preamble to our constitution, which federal courts have cited many times in their rulings:

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

I have highlighted the applicable portion in this crisis. That fat scumbag in the White House is playing politics with this crisis, which he has not at any time properly managed, and for the management of which he disclaims responsibility. For Dog's sake, he posts puerile, petulant comments on Twitter about governors who have neglected to kiss his disgusting, fat @ss, and he is willing to see the citizens of those states die as a result. He is without a doubt, the least qualified person ever to hold that office, Warren Harding not excluded.
snood

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 12:46 pm
@Setanta,
Amen
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 12:50 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The Irish Prime Minster gives a different advice:
Coronavirus: Taoiseach Varadkar returns to practising medicine to help during crisis
Quote:
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has rejoined the medical register and is to work a session a week to help out in the Coronavirus crisis.

Mr Varadkar studied medicine and worked as a doctor for seven years before leaving the profession for politics. He was removed from the medical register in 2013.

However, he rejoined the medical register in March as the coronavirus pandemic began to hit Ireland, and is set to work within the Health Service Executive on a weekly basis, in an area suited to his qualifications.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 01:08 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Professor Philipps will soon loose his job.
I don't know what, if any, influence the Trump crowd would have over the university. Perhaps some via the university's big donors.

More likely, I think, it will be Fauci who's at risk. Fox and other right wing voices have been working hard to denigrate the man's expertise and reputation over the last month or so. That is obviously so as to lead the GOP base to denigrate expertise broadly and to imagine Trump somehow knows more than Fauci and thus to excuse or explain Trump's claims whenever they conflict with Fauci. But this also paves a propagandist path for Trump to dump him though they clearly recognize the PR damage this would produce (or they would have kicked him out already).
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 01:18 pm
Fine article here, too long to excerpt:

Vector in Chief

Quote:
On July 4, 1775, just his second day serving as commander-in-chief of the American revolutionary forces, George Washington issued strict orders to prevent the spread of infection among his soldiers: “No person is to be allowed to go to Fresh-water pond a fishing or any other occasion as there may be a danger of introducing the small pox into the army.” As he wrote later that month to the president of the Continental Congress, John Hancock, he was exercising “the utmost Vigilance against this most dangerous Enemy.” On March 8, 2020, well over two months after the first case of Covid-19 had been confirmed in the United States, Dan Scavino, assistant to the president and director of social media at the White House, tweeted a mocked-up picture of his boss Donald Trump playing a violin. The caption read: “My next piece is called Nothing Can Stop What’s Coming.” Trump himself retweeted the image with the comment: “Who knows what this means, but it sounds good to me!”

It is a truth universally acknowledged that Donald Trump is no George Washington, but his descent from commander-in-chief to vector-in-chief is nonetheless dizzying. Trump’s narcissism, mendacity, bullying, and malignant incompetence were obvious before the coronavirus crisis and they have been magnified rather than moderated in his surreal response to a catastrophe whose full gravity he failed to accept until March 31, when it had become horribly undeniable. The volatility of his behavior during February and March—the veering between flippancy and rage, breezy denial and dark fear-mongering—may not seem to demand further explanation. It is his nature. Yet there is a mystery at its heart. For if there is one thing that Trump has presented as his unique selling point, it is “utmost Vigilance,” his endless insistence that, as he puts it, “our way of life is under threat.”

If the United States is to be run by a man who has perfected the paranoid style, the least its citizens might expect is a little of that paranoia when it is actually needed. Yet even on March 26, when the US had surpassed China and Italy to become the most afflicted country in the world, Trump continued to talk down the threat from the virus.

Many people have it. I just spoke to two people. They had it. They never went to a doctor. They never went to anything. They didn’t even report it. . . . The people that actually die, that percentage is much lower than I actually thought…. The mortality rate, in my opinion . . . it’s way, way down.

This whistling past the graveyard is all the more remarkable because, after all, Trump could reasonably claim to be a pioneer of post-coronavirus social etiquette. In keeping with his authoritarian posture, he might have said—for once with some credibility—“I alone knew what was coming. Now all my people must do as I have been doing for years.” His addiction to hand sanitizer is notorious. In his 1997 book, The Art of the Comeback, Trump called handshaking “one of the curses of American society” and declared himself “a clean hands freak.” In How to Get Rich (2004), he wrote that, “As you may have heard, I don’t like germs. I’m still waging a personal crusade to replace the mandatory and unsanitary handshake with the Japanese custom of bowing.”

In his first press conference as president-elect in January 2017, Trump addressed salacious allegations that he had been filmed in Moscow with prostitutes performing “golden showers” by insisting that this could not have happened because “I’m also very much a germaphobe, by the way.” He stopped a filmed interview with George Stephanopoulos for ABC News in June 2019 when his acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney coughed off camera: “Let’s do that over. He’s coughing in the middle of my answer. I don’t like that, you know.” He angrily admonished Mulvaney: “If you’re going to cough, please leave the room. You just can’t, you just can’t cough.” It is almost as if Trump invented the Covid-19 protocols: wash your hands often, don’t shake hands, and keep your distance from anyone with a cough.

(...)

nyrb

Check it out.
0 Replies

maporsche

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 02:05 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

The short version, is that all medical treatment in the public hospital system is 100% free for all citizens and permanent residents.

I'm a big fan of copays being in the mix here to both help fund the system and curb abuse.

Tax rebates could be given to the lower income brackets to offset some of the cost for the poor.
0 Replies

maporsche

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 02:14 pm
@hightor,
Lash is using the wrong word but she means the same thing as you I suspect.

Respirator
https://thumbnails.texastribune.org/DEAcu2DXfy_lUoNvuew23hbLDaw=/850x570/smart/filters:quality(75)/https://static.texastribune.org/media/files/8428e6e5261a9d26ec9a46e79f6ef3ce/N95%20face%20masks%20REUTERS%20TT.jpg

Ventilator
https://s3files.core77.com/blog/images/1015959_81_96093_vOySwRmQ8.jpg
farmerman

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 02:18 pm
@coldjoint,
Your head is still safely up yer ass . Keep it there because I dont think you could live with truth and facts.
hightor

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 02:30 pm
@maporsche,
The misnomer is excusable. The idea that health professionals aren't allowed to discuss medical procedures, however, and are guilty of a "disservice" if it upsets someone is rather infantile.
coldjoint

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 03:21 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Keep it there because I dont think you could live with truth and facts.

The truth is Trump acted very early. Fauci says that. The facts are on Trump's side and the true colors of the Democrats came shining through worried more about the Kennedy Center and refugees, **** Americans.

I have already told you that you have no idea but the narrative repeated daily by the media and hoping that this will kill as many as they need to get Trump out of office.
0 Replies