monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Builder

Sat 4 Apr, 2020 09:31 pm
Interesting. I'd also state that the lines between left(red) and right(blue) are more and more blurred in Australia, compared to twenty years ago.
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 02:49 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Holding out for money not related in anyway to the virus and trying to change voting.

It's common for political parties to maneuver to obtain the best political result in large spending bills. It's not "voting" they're trying to change, it's the content of the bill itself. Which was passed unanimously. In a week.
Quote:
They are trying to loot us of our rights while they are at it.

So exactly how do they do this? Pack up boxes of "rights" and hoard them? Sell looted "rights" on street corners? While, in the meantime, your party vows to deny vulnerable citizens their right to vote and admits it's a ploy to prevail in the election.
Quote:
And now, as the coronavirus pandemic sweeps the nation right before the 2020 election, Trump and the Republican National Committee have launched a multimillion-dollar legal fight to keep Democrats from changing voting rules to enable people under 65 to vote from home, rather than risking their health or violating stay-at-home policies by gathering at polling places to cast ballots. (Republicans are fine with permitting older Americans to vote by mail, recognizing that older voters skew toward them.)

Olivier5

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 02:53 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

MontereyJack wrote:

"basic medical coverage" is kind of a misnomer. ALL medical coverage is actually provided, and the public health metrics of those 31 countries are better than ours.

Think any of them would be able to do it if they had 300,000,000 more people?

Stupid question of the month.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 04:43 am
I expect that people who live near large international airports are having something of a restful time these days.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 04:53 am
Just watched a roadside interview with a woman who, with her children, was just leaving a packed church service. Asked if she was concerned about becoming infected or infecting others, she said she was not worried because she was "covered in Jesus' blood".

Even as metaphor, that's pretty damned weird.
snood

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 05:43 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Just watched a roadside interview with a woman who, with her children, was just leaving a packed church service. Asked if she was concerned about becoming infected or infecting others, she said she was not worried because she was "covered in Jesus' blood".

Even as metaphor, that's pretty damned weird.

Maybe weird to some, but in some southern Christian circles not uncommon. I grew up hearing people claiming the “blood of the lamb of God” covered them.
blatham

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 05:55 am
@snood,
I'd be interested in quizzing such folks on issues like viscosity. And coverage - like, between the toes? In the hair? Do you need to keep your eyes closed? Is there something like a car-wash app that's part of the arrangement?
Lash

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 06:02 am
@blatham,
This is what I hate about religion.
Those people packed in that church all believed they were superior to everybody else and due to their superiority, they would magically be spared the fate of lesser mortals.

When they start dying, they’ll believe those parishioners who die sinned against god and he took his protection from them. The little children who died were paying for the sins of their parent who sinned.

There’s an excuse for everything and it’s all based on superiority.

Those nursing home people must be a depraved bunch.

The hucksters of religion, convincing these people to flaunt laws should be jailed. Of course, the Christians would never believe that to be anything less
than...that’s right...an attack against Christianity.

This virus is tripping on every failure in our society.

Racism, too. Check out the demographics of the dead.
0 Replies

snood

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 06:12 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I'd be interested in quizzing such folks on issues like viscosity. And coverage - like, between the toes? In the hair? Do you need to keep your eyes closed? Is there something like a car-wash app that's part of the arrangement?

I’m pretty sure it’s metaphorical
Setanta

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 06:23 am
Winston Churchill wrote: "There is no worse mistake in public leadership than to hold out false hopes soon to be swept away." With the religiously convinced, this has less force with those involved for a lifetime. As has been pointed out, religious hucksters always have ways of blaming the victims. But this idiocy bids fair to lose the younger congregants who don't have a commitment of decades.

It does apply with particular fore, however, to Plump. Even if the death rate is not as bad as the CDC predicts--and any decent person will hope so--his early and idiotic comments are chickens that will come home to roost for him. If, in fact, hundreds of thousands do die, it will just be that much worse for him.
hightor

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 06:35 am
I was listening to the news and they were discussing the fact that, in many cases, by the time people are put on a ventilator their lungs are already too damaged to survive. We can't keep everyone alive, we can't save everyone. Yet our most humane instincts compel us to try. This was enormously expensive before the pandemic. There was no easy answer then, and there certainly is no easy answer now.
Setanta

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 07:16 am
@hightor,
This is why those who are dismissive of the effect of the virus (and we have a notorious example among us at this site) show their appalling ignorance. This is the tragedy of young people who seem to think they're invulnerable, the spring break idiots. Even those who survive have at least slight, and in many cases, significant damage to their cardio-pulmonary systems. They will suffer a life-long debility.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 07:25 am
Not every country is devoid of responsible leadership.

Coronavirus: Malawi president Peter Mutharika takes 10% pay cut

Quote:
President Peter Mutharika made the announcement as he set out a stimulus package to help cushion the economic impact of the disease.

Malawi reported its first cases of the coronavirus on Thursday – one of the last countries to do so.
Lash

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 09:13 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

I was listening to the news and they were discussing the fact that, in many cases, by the time people are put on a ventilator their lungs are already too damaged to survive. We can't keep everyone alive, we can't save everyone. Yet our most humane instincts compel us to try.

I just want to say to anyone reading here that many people survive after being put on the respirator. Whoever said this in public leading people to believe that it was just considered by healthcare personnel as merely palliative to be put on the respirator did the public a great disservice. I can't imagine the horror it will cause loved ones facing this moment.

farmerman

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 09:13 am
@Setanta,
I was amazed at Trumps own bleating that "Hey ,Im not responsible for the lack of ventilators".

We really need some good leadership in this country. The several governors who have declared the Isolation as "optional", and Trump blowing out his ass that "We have this thing called a Constitution".

I just hope that enough people of reasonable intelligence make it through to vote this clown out and make changes in the Congress.

Lash

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 09:15 am
I saw an video from a country I can't recall where people were being hit on the legs with canes if they were in the street.
Lash

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 09:19 am
@farmerman,
This is what I don't understand.

Some government agency seized Massachusetts' shipment of face masks. Reputedly FEMA for the Fed.

Trump is holding on to these life-saving masks and respirators. States are begging for them. He's openly withholding them. Kushner said, "They're for us." Trump backed him up, "They're for us."

Who the **** is us????
hightor

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 09:30 am
@Lash,
Quote:

I just want to say to anyone reading here that many people survive after being put on the respirator.

The story in question was about ventilators.

You raise an interesting point, though. Is the purpose of the news media to raise people's hopes?

(I'll see if I can find a transcript or reference to the story I heard.)

EDIT: Here you go.

Ventilators Can Save Lives Of Some COVID-19 Patients, But They're No Panacea
izzythepush

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 09:42 am
@hightor,
The BMA has issued ethical guidelines for what to do when ventilators have to be rationed.

We have the NHS so the wealth of the patients isn’t a consideration.
georgeob1

Sun 5 Apr, 2020 10:39 am
@farmerman,
You are incorrect. Our Constitution grants only specified powers to the Federal Government, reserving all others to the states. Trump is entirely correct on this point, if also characteristically too eager to find fault with others. Some State Governors have attended to their responsibilities very well and with good results, notably including two, whom I know but politically oppose (Jay Inslee of Washington and Gavin Newsome of California). Others have not. Chris Cuomo of New York is a bit like the recently removed Captain of CVN 71, who instead of attending to his own responsibilities and making specific requests for needed assistance, issued distracting, arm waving, screeds, perhaps to relieve his own anxiety. Both are failures as leaders.