monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 04:01 am
No! I can't believe this! He wouldn't do such a thing! He's never done anything like this before! Fact!
Quote:
Trump makes false statement about U.S. murder rate to sheriffs’ group
President Trump met Tuesday morning with a group of sheriffs from the National Sheriffs Association, a group that consists of more than 3,000 sheriffs from around the country. And to this sworn group of law enforcement veterans, with reporters taking notes, he again repeated a falsehood about the murder rate in America.

Trump told the sheriffs, “the murder rate in our country is the highest it’s been in 47 years.” He blamed the news media for not publicizing this development, then added, “But the murder rate is the highest it’s been in, I guess, 45 to 47 years.”

The country’s murder rate is not the highest it’s been in 47 years. It is almost at its lowest point, actually, according to the FBI, which gathers statistics every year from police departments around the country.
WP
blatham

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 04:10 am
You possibly haven't heard this yet but Canada is considering a ban on the immigration of American toddlers. The rationale, and personally I find it compelling, is that Americans are twice as likely to be shot by a toddler than by a terrorist. WP
layman

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 04:15 am
@blatham,
Trump misspoke slightly.

It is true, as he has said in the past (and, no doubt, intended to repeat) that

Quote:
"We have an increase in murder within our cities, the biggest in 45 years."

Of course the media will characterize this misstatement as an out-and-out lie. But Trump had solid support for his claim about the rate of increase:

Quote:
Trump seems to be referring to a set of annual statistics released by the FBI. The most recent report came out in September.

Those statistics showed that the number of murders and non-negligent homicides rose nationally between 2014 and 2015 by 10.8 percent. When we checked the numbers, we confirmed that this increase does rank as the biggest year-to-year jump in murders since 1970-71, when the number rose by 11.1 percent. That was exactly 45 years ago.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/oct/10/donald-trump/trump-claims-us-has-biggest-increase-murders-45-ye/
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 05:38 am
@blatham,
thats some tough talk comin from a poutine eatin nation. What ever happened to
"OH 'Im so sorry for placing my foot under your car wheel"

McGentrix

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 07:10 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

blatham wrote:

Quote:
The Defense Department may rent space in Trump Tower, where President Trump lives part time, raising questions about a potential conflict of interest because taxpayer dollars could be going directly to his business interests.
NYT

Such a surprise.

Hmmm, I wonder why you didn't post this part of the story, eh?:

Quote:
The statement said the space was “necessary for the personnel and equipment” that would support Mr. Trump at his residence in the building, on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan.

Mr. Trump’s wife, Melania, and his young son, Barron, live there.

The Pentagon made similar arrangements with past presidents, including for the Chicago home of President Barack Obama.

Because that doesn't fit the narrative and makes the continues bombardment of propaganda seem less dignified. I mean come on, post the facts?
McGentrix

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 07:13 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

No! I can't believe this! He wouldn't do such a thing! He's never done anything like this before! Fact!
Quote:
Trump makes false statement about U.S. murder rate to sheriffs’ group
President Trump met Tuesday morning with a group of sheriffs from the National Sheriffs Association, a group that consists of more than 3,000 sheriffs from around the country. And to this sworn group of law enforcement veterans, with reporters taking notes, he again repeated a falsehood about the murder rate in America.

Trump told the sheriffs, “the murder rate in our country is the highest it’s been in 47 years.” He blamed the news media for not publicizing this development, then added, “But the murder rate is the highest it’s been in, I guess, 45 to 47 years.”

The country’s murder rate is not the highest it’s been in 47 years. It is almost at its lowest point, actually, according to the FBI, which gathers statistics every year from police departments around the country.
WP

Again, not to put a hitch in your git along, but Layman just posted this story that kind of counters your propaganda.

MontereyJack

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 08:01 am
@McGentrix,
You didn't actually read Layman's cite, did yu? Murders and crime have been going down for the last quarter century. If you get a percentage increase from a much smaller base it is much less in terms of actual numbers than an equal percentage increase from a much larger base. Trump is still spouting misleading bullshit,
McGentrix

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 08:09 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Stuff

I am pretty sure that Trump could come out with a statement saying the sky was blue and there would be a large contingent of A2K users that would call him a liar, a racist and some other nonsense.

So, I hope you understand that despite my not agreeing with politifact, I have never thought they were actually wrong. Please keep your bitter hatred up though, it will help Trump get re-elected in 4 years.
revelette1

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 08:49 am
‘My daughter’s death will not be used’: Parents furious over Trump’s false terrorism claims

Quote:
Her daughter had not yet been buried, nor had the newspapers finished turning up bloody details of her death, before Rosie Ayliffe began to write about her child's murderer.

“Grief is a funny thing,” she wrote in the Independent last August — five days after a man chased her 21-year-old daughter through a hostel, stabbed her to death and killed another backpacker who tried to protect her. “I haven't seen Mia for nearly a year, and so in my head she's still alive, well and living in Australia.”

She was careful, even then, to write accurately about the accused killer. Smail Ayad had yelled “Allahu akbar” during the attack, the Guardian reported, but he had also rambled incoherently, stabbed a dog and “was apparently infatuated with” her daughter.

“Much nonsense is being spoken in the press about her alleged killer,” Ayliffe wrote. He “is not an Islamic fundamentalist, he has never set foot in a mosque.”

Likewise, police ruled out terrorism, and the Ayad murder case was transferred to a mental-health court.

The sensational stories eventually faded. The parents of Mia Ayliffe-Chung and Tom Jackson mourned and tried to move on.

Months went by.

Then, on Tuesday, both families saw their children's murders on a White House list of terrorist attacks that hadn't gotten enough attention, and Ayliffe said she felt she needed to set down words again.

“My daughter's death will not be used to further this insane persecution of innocent people,” she wrote in an open letter to President Trump.

Her words were joined by the parents of the attack's second victim, Jackson, who expressed their disbelief in an email to the White House and elsewhere.

“I’m pretty sure he and his advisors know full well — or could very easily verify — that Tom and Mia died not as the result of an act of terror but rather through the actions of a disturbed individual,” Les Jackson wrote on Facebook.

“Of course, that doesn’t suit his agenda.”

0 Replies

blatham

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 09:05 am
@farmerman,
De influences of de frenches. Maybee seems seely but eets true dough.
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 09:16 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
I am pretty sure that Trump could come out with a statement saying the sky was blue...

In this case what was interesting is that apparently Mr. Trump used the statistic correctly while campaigning but couldn't keep the facts straight in his head so when talking to the sheriffs he says:
Quote:
“But the murder rate is the highest it’s been in, I guess, 45 to 47 years.”

I think lots of his critics just get the feeling that he's "riffing" — he's got a certain number of what musicians call "licks", stock little phrases and factoids that he can turn to during his ad lib remarks that seem to work in the context and that are recognizable to his fans. The trouble is they don't work if you leave out important details such as it being the biggest increase in murder rates, as opposed to simply being the highest overall murder rate.

Fans of Mr. Trump seem to want it both ways — the very malaprops and solecisms which seem to endear him to his base strike many of his critics as signs of an incurious, unreflective, and undisciplined mind. But we're supposed to just overlook this stuff because he's so dynamic. His overly defensive base apparently thinks his charm renders him immune from criticism and that only "haters" would point out his sloppy thinking.
blatham

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 09:17 am
@McGentrix,
That's almost too funny for words, that one. I posted a quote from a source and then layman (a penetrating intellect with a demanding intellectual integrity) with to the source I'd linked, saw it wasn't complete, and then posted a quote from further down in the piece. Good for him. A thorough man, clearly, and motivated in the direction of a full accounting which might change the color (narrative) of the piece.

But he left something out. It's in bold.
Quote:
The Pentagon made similar arrangements with past presidents, including for the Chicago home of President Barack Obama. The difference in this case, which was reported by CNN on Tuesday night, is that the Defense Department could be funneling government money directly to Mr. Trump’s
commercial interests.

There's a reason I always provide links to sources, you two numbskulls.
giujohn

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 09:18 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

MontereyJack wrote:

Stuff

I am pretty sure that Trump could come out with a statement saying the sky was blue and there would be a large contingent of A2K users that would call him a liar, a racist and some other nonsense.

So, I hope you understand that despite my not agreeing with politifact, I have never thought they were actually wrong. Please keep your bitter hatred up though, it will help Trump get re-elected in 4 years.

If Trump came out and said that he likes pizza in less than an hour there will be protesters marching in the street with signs saying, Tacos Matter.
0 Replies

giujohn

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 09:26 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Yes. The growing disparity in wealth, the celebration of selfishness over community well-being, the rise in white nationalism along with moves to favor one religion, the purposeful moves to institutionalize one party control, the derogation of facts/science/truth/honesty and the growing acceptance of authoritarianism are pretty frightening.

The only growing disparity of wealth is among the Democratic Party. They have the rich Elites like the Hollywood types but they don't seem to have the poor or middle-class workers in the midwest or the Rust Belt. And what have they done since the election to change this? They're looking at people to head the DNC who are left and lefter. Apparently they haven't got a clue and won't have the Congress or the White House the state houses or governorships for many years to come... Hallelujah.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 09:27 am
@blatham,
They mean Mr. Trumps kids commercial interests. Maybe they won't charge for the rooms or space... Who knows. But, what I do know id that it doesn't really matter beyond "Look at the shiny thing!"
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 09:49 am
@McGentrix,
Well, thanks boys. You two are on top of your game this morning. The statistical data (conveniently graphed) is included in both the WP piece I linked and in the politifact piece layman linked (lots of earlier coverage too as Trump made various such claims during the campaign).

But now let's look at what he said and what the politifact piece is talking about, shall we. This is from the WP piece I noted and cited:
Quote:

And here's what politifact was checking:
Quote:
Donald Trump largely accurate that U.S. had biggest increase in murders in 45 years

Those are obviously two different claims, the second is mostly right (with the caveats politifact notes including that the figures do not account for rise in population) but nonetheless there's something going on in a one year period. But the claim Trump made noted in the WP piece is false. He's lying (just look at the four graphs in the politifact piece right here

More importantly, what Trump is trying to do here is present a picture of crime (violent crime particularly) is on some disastrous rise (needing a strongman authoritarian type to correct, presumably) and that's total bullshit as the FBI graphs very clearly demonstrate.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 09:51 am
@hightor,
Quote:
In this case what was interesting is that apparently Mr. Trump used the statistic correctly while campaigning but couldn't keep the facts straight in his head so when talking to the sheriffs he says:

I have to admit that is definitely possible. Intellectual precision is not a strength with this chap.

I'll just add here a good overview of the matters under discussion (with valuable internal links) can be found here WP
hightor

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 10:08 am
@blatham,
One thing we know for sure — the number of easily available firearms has nothing to do with any increase in the rate of violent crime and murder. Guns are for self-defense.
blatham

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 10:15 am
This guy really is something ungood. Here's what he said yesterday in his speech to the policing folks:

Quote:
Later, Trump addressed the three judges on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals hearing the case, though the President refrained from criticizing them directly.

“I listened to a panel of judges and I'll comment on that — I will not comment on the statements made by certainly one judge, but I have to be honest that if these judges wanted to, in my opinion, help the court in terms of respect for the court, they'd do what they should be doing,” he said.
TPM
The formulation here is this:

If the courts behave as I demand they behave, they are worthy of respect. If they do not behave as I demand they do, then it will be utterly proper and necessary for American citizens to regard and treat the judiciary with disrespect (and if you get angry at judges because they aren't behaving as I demand, then I certainly would understand your proper response. Lock them up, lock them up).
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 10:19 am
@hightor,
Yes. That is the one abiding truth in all of this. Though, as I posted earlier, American toddlers are on a murderous weaponized rampage.
0 Replies