monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette3

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 01:42 pm
@blatham,
Luckily I happened to buy hair dye supplies at the Beauty supply store about a month ago. I would be completely grey-headed if I didn't. I'm saving it until about the end of April, but now I have to pluck my eyebrows the old fashioned way. Ouch.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 01:42 pm
@revelette3,
Jesus, that is truly despicable.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 01:45 pm
Quote:
McKay Coppins
@mckaycoppins
6h
At a suburban Atlanta country club recently, one member told me the older conservatives on the golf course made a show of gleefully violating the new social-distancing guidelines: https://theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/03/social-distancing-culture/609019/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EUXFeMIXQAA29hJ?format=png&name=900x900
blatham

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 01:50 pm
Quote:
Trump Administration, in Biggest Environmental Rollback, to Announce Auto Pollution Rules

The Trump administration is expected on Tuesday to announce its final rule to roll back Obama-era automobile fuel efficiency standards, relaxing efforts to limit climate-warming tailpipe pollution and virtually undoing the government’s biggest effort to combat climate change.

The new rule, written by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Transportation, would allow vehicles on American roads to emit nearly a billion tons more carbon dioxide over the lifetime of the cars than they would have under the Obama standards and hundreds of millions of tons more than will be emitted under standards being implemented in Europe and Asia.

...The new rule, which is expected to be implemented by late spring, will roll back a 2012 rule that required automakers’ fleets to average about 54 miles per gallon by 2025. Instead, the fleets would have to average about 40 miles per gallon.
NYT

0 Replies

revelette3

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 01:52 pm
@blatham,
I am glad my dad has always been a loner golfer. Never hangs out with a crowd even in non-coronavirus times. Our church has less than twenty members, with one or two visitors every so often. So we met for just one hour and sat far apart from each other; no shaking hands. Almost all of them are old members. My church has been there for over a hundred years, (for a church up in the hills of KY, that ain't bad) the old generation are donating huge on Sundays to keep it going while they are all still alive. My mom is buried there. Not sure what we'll do if we have to abandon that church. It will feel weird.

(sorry, been by myself, getting too chatty.)

(going to avoid the progressive thread until certain undesirables (deplorable's) don't post so much. Which is why I haven't been around too much.
georgeob1

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 01:54 pm
@blatham,
Do you suppose that equivalent behavior isn't going on anywhere else ? Really??

The article you linked suggests this behavior is unique to white haired Republicans, an assumption that strikes me as absurd and counterintuitive. However it's from the Atlantic - that explains a lot.
blatham

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 01:58 pm
@revelette3,
That's not too chatty at all. Your dad and your family are doing it right. You've given me quite a lovely sense of your church and its locale and history. It reminds me of the small church I attended as a kid (good memories other than boredom from listening to sermons in a language I didn't understand).
hightor

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 02:03 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

The article you linked suggests this behavior is unique to white haired Republicans...

Did you even read the article?
Quote:
Still, the polarization around public health seems to be accelerating: In recent days, Republican governors in Alabama and Mississippi have resisted calls to enact more forceful mitigation policies. Polling data suggest that Republicans throughout the U.S. are much less concerned about the coronavirus than Democrats are. According to a recent analysis by The New York Times, Trump won 23 of the 25 states where people have reduced personal travel the least.

Here's one from earlier I've been meaning to ask you about:
Quote:
However his political opponents are equivalently quick to blame him for longstanding problems or, in some cases for problems of their own making. Governor Cuomo of NY is an example.

How did Gov. Cuomo create this problem?
revelette3

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 02:04 pm
@blatham,
Don't feel about bad about bored, I used the sermon time to do my Bible lessons for the next Sunday to get it out of the way for a whole week, then I copied my answers for my sister while she learned to sleep with her eyes open being stock-still. Mind you, my dad was usually the one up there preaching.
blatham

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 02:05 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Do you suppose that equivalent behavior isn't going on anywhere else ? Really??
Stupid people made more stupid from listening to Fox or Trump and believing the virus is a hoax and so let's shake hands and cuddle in the golf cart? No, I'm sure it's going on wherever misinformed idiots golf.

Quote:
The article you linked suggests this behavior is unique to white haired Republicans, an assumption that strikes me as absurd and counterintuitive.

It could be young Republicans too, for sure. And young people or middle aged people or older people who, for whatever set of reasons, believe themselves protected by ignorance.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 02:06 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
@georgeob
Did you even read the article?

Unnecessary question.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 02:08 pm
@hightor,
How high is he on the CBS food chain?
revelette3

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 02:09 pm
@hightor,
I think I heard Governor Cuomo said something like they practice waste and fraud techniques in Medicaid (forget what he called it) and if they were to accept the federal money. they couldn't do that so they didn't accept the money.

Other than that, Cuomo has been great through this crisis and has taught us a lot about the virus with his daily briefings. Much better than Trump's.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 02:11 pm
@revelette3,
Quote:
Mind you, my dad was usually the one up there preaching.
That's interesting. My granddad would sometimes give the sermon. But we loved the guy so that was very comfortable. Neither mom nor dad were the preachy sort. That task fell to the three sons who all went into education and one of whom now preaches here on A2K.
revelette3

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 02:13 pm
@blatham,
Well, now we are all going to try and figure out who it is. Unless everybody already knows.
hightor

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 02:14 pm
@revelette3,
Quote:
(going to avoid the progressive thread until certain undesirables (deplorable's) don't post so much. Which is why I haven't been around too much.

We're pretty much stuck with them, I'm afraid. Have you tried the "ignore" function? I don't mind engaging the occasional idiot but if you're disciplined and don't read or respond to their crap it can do a lot to lighten the ugliness.
blatham

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 02:22 pm
@revelette3,
It's me. georgeob will verify my preachy tone. And he'll be right.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 02:24 pm
@hightor,
I only respond to them on occasion. Given their desires for non-stop attention, it may drive them closer to the edge. It's just me, doing my part to make sure the mental health industry stays active.
Lash

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 02:24 pm
@hightor,
Since neither of you are progressive, why don’t you re-animate the moderates’ thread? Just an idea.
blatham

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 02:27 pm
@Sturgis,
I ignore them with enthusiasm and alacrity. I find it peaceful to see a page of

user ignored
user ignored
user ignored
user ignored
user ignore

It's like walking through a graveyard on a sunny sunday.