monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 06:04 am
Quote:
Bobby Lewis
@revrrlewis
25m
Ainsley Earhardt on a cruise ship scheduled to dock in Ft. Lauderdale: "A lot of Floridians are really worried about that, because there's a lot of people infected on the cruise ship."

FL Gov. Ron DeSantis: "And not only that, I mean, I think a lot of these are foreigners."

It should stay far out at sea, drifting, drifting. No one will hear the screams and we wouldn't understand them anyways in those shithole languages.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 06:08 am
Quote:
Gabriel Sherman
@gabrielsherman
16m
Amazing to see Doocy doing 180 on opening country by Easter now that Trump flipped: “Worst thing that can happen is we open up parts of the country and it comes back,” Doocy just said on Fox&Friends.

Amazing only in the sense of how blatant Fox is as a propaganda operation.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 06:16 am
@hightor,
hightor's source wrote:
. . . it would have oversight of the $500 billion fund for businesses. An independent inspector general and an oversight board would oversee the dispersal of funds.

This part bothers me. How is the oversight board to be apppointed? If by the Senate, you just might as well send checks to the Fortune 500 and save administrative costs. What authority does the Inspector General have? Does s/he have any enforcement powers?

Of course, I don't trust McConnell and the Senate Republicans any further than I can spit on a hot, dry day.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 06:20 am
@hightor,
Builder is a classic Tory, although he denies it. When he hasn't been indulging his penchant for goofy conspiracy theories, like the so-called Pizzagate, he's been attacking Democrats and puking up the reactionary, pro-Plump party line. I'm frankly surprised that you give him the time of day.

Don't take this a bitter complaint. I admire you for taking on the rightwingnut creeps. I certainly can't do it for long, because the disgust builds up and threatens to choke me.
izzythepush

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 06:23 am
@Setanta,
He's also virulently anti Semitic, calling the Saudi ruler Mohammed Bin Salman a Jew as an insult.
Setanta

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 06:25 am
@izzythepush,
I hadn't noticed that, but it doesn't surprise me. Why the fascists love to hate the Jews is a mystery to me, but it certainly gives one the measure of one's interlocutor.
izzythepush

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 06:32 am
@Setanta,
There always has to be an enemy, someone running the "Deep State," and the Jews are a convenient scapegoat.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 07:34 am
Quote:
World’s 70 million displaced people face a coronavirus disaster, report says

The world’s 70 million displaced people — refugees, asylum seekers and those driven from homes internally by war and other crises — are among the most vulnerable to the spread of the coronavirus, and the least able to combat it.

In a report released Monday, the independent humanitarian organization Refugees International said that while a failure to protect refugee communities will threaten societies at large, “many nations are turning inward as they seek to protect their own citizens.”

The report questioned the effectiveness of border closures in preventing communication of the disease, which is now present in most countries of the world, and noted that such closures threaten the humanitarian supply chain that keeps refugee populations alive.

The group’s warning coincided with similar appeals issued by the World Health Organization and other international humanitarian bodies...
WP

That's twice the total population of Canada. And as these situations deteriorate and millions become infected I don't know how we avoid second and third waves of the pandemic. You'd think modern, educated (relatively) nations would grasp that the world's interconnectedness would promote a much greater sense of "we are all in this together" and a matching ethos. But I guess that supposes a level of rationality which humans are not evolved to possess.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 07:48 am
Putin and Trump are having the same problem - because they operate the same way.
Quote:
“I think the problem is that within the Kremlin, in a way, they have gotten so used to the idea that in some ways they can define the narrative and the narrative will shape reality,” said Mark Galeotti, a senior associate fellow at the Royal United Services Institute, a think tank in London. “Of course, this is a different way around. This is actually a reality that has to shape the narrative.”
WP
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 08:12 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I'm frankly surprised that you give him the time of day.

I am too sometimes. The thing that often compels me to address this character is his smug air of independence and omniscience while he simultaneously subscribes to the dumbest conspiracy theories, cites fringe websites and pro-Trump sources, and sometimes exhibits a woeful lack of reading comprehension, i.e his concept of "never-trumpism". On the positive side, he must actually have something to do in real life and doesn't spend all day filling up the site with garbage — he just drops in, deposits some trash, and leaves. And his recent criticism of one of the biggest serial-polluters on the site, while mild, at least showed some degree of insight and backbone.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 08:16 am
Quote:
Trump, when asked about Chinese misinformation about coronavirus, on Fox News:

“They do it and we do it… Every country does that.”
NYMag

I haven't yet seen the full conversation but this is typical Trump in justifying his serial falsehoods (not to mention his other unethical or criminal acts) - everyone does it therefore it's fine if I do it. Everyone does propaganda so if you criticize me for doing it you are just hating on Trump. You're fake news.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 08:24 am
Quote:
In need of an enemy, Trump turns his sights on hospitals

It takes a special amount of chutzpah for a president to fail to deliver necessary medical supplies, then accuse medical facilities of nefarious misdeeds.

As Donald Trump sees it, someone will be blamed for the United States' response to the coronavirus crisis, and he's desperately scrambling to make sure the responsibility doesn't fall on him. NBC News reported overnight that the president "has been hedging his bets" by pointing to all sorts of possible culprits.

Trump, who seems to feel most comfortable when he has an enemy, has spent weeks lashing out at Democrats, governors, journalists, China, the Obama administration, and even General Motors. Yesterday, however, the Republican went in an unexpected direction: as the Washington Post reported, the president turned his sights on hospitals.
Quote:
President Trump has been focused on shifting blame for whatever becomes of the coronavirus outbreak. And on Sunday, he set about blaming hospitals and states for the well-established shortages of equipment to deal with the situation. During the daily White House coronavirus briefing in the Rose Garden, Trump suggested that hospitals had squandered or done worse with masks and were "hoarding" ventilators, and that states were requesting equipment despite not needing it.
more here

He's not responsible for anything, as he has said. He and his administration deserve a 10 out of 10 rating on their actions re the pandemic, he's also said.

The real ****-ups are the doctors and the nurses.

But it's terribly rude to observe that he's a sociopath.
georgeob1

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 08:32 am
@blatham,
Your source material here is from the Washington Post and merely selected and repeated by MSNBC "news". No facts are included, merely interpretation of his motives and actions by known hostile sources.

Then you add your sour bit as well.

Do you consider this to be en enlightening or informative post, or merely more propaganda?
hightor

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 08:53 am
@blatham,
Quote:
In need of an enemy, Trump turns his sights on hospitals

I heard this on the news this morning. I couldn't believe it at first — "Where are the masks?" he asks, and suggests that they're being sold out of the back door. Then I realized, oh yeah, it's completely believable. And now we can watch this putrid lie being taken up by Fox news and spread across MAGA-land. It's that f-ing Fauci! The medical profession is dominated by Democrats! Healthcare workers are making money selling these supplies while crying for more!

What a great way to demoralize members of the one profession we need the most at this time. These workers are irreplaceable. The president is a lying scumbag. I don't expect the Trumpenproletariat to wake up to this but his better educated supporters are beginning to turn my stomach with their tribal myopia. "What about her e-mails?"
blatham

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 08:54 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Your source material here is from the Washington Post and merely selected and repeated by MSNBC "news".
Yes. So? What the **** do you think is the function and purpose of news entities?

Quote:
No facts are included,

Really?
Quote:
President Trump has been focused on shifting blame for whatever becomes of the coronavirus outbreak.

And on Sunday, he set about blaming hospitals and states for the well-established shortages of equipment to deal with the situation. During the daily White House coronavirus briefing in the Rose Garden, Trump suggested that hospitals had squandered or done worse with masks and were "hoarding" ventilators, and that states were requesting equipment despite not needing it.
What in there is false? Where, ever, in all this has Trump accepted blame for anything?
blatham

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 08:55 am
@hightor,
Quote:
I don't expect the Trumpenproletariat to wake up to this but his better educated supporters are beginning to turn my stomach with their tribal myopia.
That's where I'm at.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 08:57 am
@georgeob1,
No georgeob, it's not "propaganda", it's been in the news:
Quote:
How do you go from 10 to 20 to 30,000, to 300,000 -- even though this is different. Something is going on. And you ought to look into it as reporters. Where are the masks going?

“We’re delivering millions and millions of products and all we do is hear, ‘Can we get some more?,’” he continued, specifically pointing out masks delivered to New York. “I think people should check that. I think there’s something going on. I don’t think it’s hoarding, I think it’s something worse than hoarding.”
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 09:06 am
Sara Carter is a Fox contributor and Hannity regular. A call went out from a Fox host yesterday to capture photographs of empty hospital parking lots and other "evidence" of media fabrications of the level of emergency.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EUXM59EX0AI4ceH?format=png&name=small

Hospitals and doctors across America are lying about their situations to trick Americans.
Quote:
Fox News contributor: I'm seeing videos on Twitter of empty hospital parking lots
Fox News panel questions how many deaths are really being caused by COVID-19 and whether hospitals are really full
MM

hightor

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 09:10 am
@blatham,
Here's another hoax being perpetrated on our great country:

Nurses Die, Doctors Fall Sick and Panic Rises on Virus Front Lines

The pandemic has begun to sweep through New York City’s medical ranks, and anxiety is growing among normally dispassionate medical professionals.
blatham

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 09:20 am
@hightor,
They should all just buck up. This is a war. War means sacrifice.

It's not as if they have bone spurs for god's sake.
0 Replies