monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 12:50 pm
@hightor,
Quote:

Re: coldjoint (Post 6980615) The man you speak of is entitled to his opinion.

Also, Charlie Manson. It's a free country. So, hell of a fine argument.

Quote:
There are a lot of people who think God is fed up with man's bullshit.

There are a lot of people who think God would be happy if all the Christians in the world were dead. So, another fine argument.

0 Replies

blatham

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 12:56 pm
Quote:
Key to Trump’s popularity has been a rhetorical strategy identified in 1951 by political philosopher Eric Hoffer in a book called The True Believer. Hoffer noted that demagogues needed a disaffected population whose members felt they had lost the power they previously held, that they had been displaced either religiously, economically, culturally, or politically. Such people were willing to follow a leader who promised to return them to their former positions of prominence and thus to make the nation great again. But to cement their loyalty, the leader had to give them someone to hate. Who that was didn’t really matter: the group simply had to be blamed for all the troubles the leader’s supporters were suffering.
Heather Cox Richardson from Letters from an American
coldjoint

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 01:17 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Heather Cox Richardson

Quote:
Leftist Professor’s Bias Gets in the Way of Her CNBC-Style Conservative Critique

Guess who that professor is?
Quote:
The New York Times, in reviewing her book, slammed her for not “check[ing] her politics at the door,” showing the inherent bias of her work. The Washington Post also said that Richardson, “overstates her case,” and “ultimately finds herself caught in the partisan trap, blaming Republicans — albeit only the conservative ones — for ruining the economy, fomenting racism, damaging American democracy and betraying their progressive roots".

Both rags the Left depend on say she was full of **** just five years ago. Now they need her bias and hate.
https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/jen-kuznicki/leftist-professors-bias-gets-way-her-cnbc-style-conservative-critique
oralloy

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 01:18 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Notice how this character, who winces when correctly identified and labeled as a shill, lies persistently.

I hardly winced at your ad hominem fallacy. And you cannot provide any examples of untrue statements in my posts.

hightor wrote:
The CDC designed a flawed test for COVID-19, then took weeks to figure out a fix so state and local labs could use it.
Quote:
As the highly infectious coronavirus jumped from China to country after country in January and February, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lost valuable weeks that could have been used to track its possible spread in the United States because it insisted upon devising its own test.

The federal agency shunned the World Health Organization test guidelines used by other countries and set out to create a more complicated test of its own that could identify a range of similar viruses. But when it was sent to labs across the country in the first week of February, it didn’t work as expected. The CDC test correctly identified COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus. But in all but a handful of state labs, it falsely flagged the presence of the other viruses in harmless samples.

So in other words, the CDC was working on developing a test just as I said they were.

And progressive attempts to blame Mr. Trump for the lack of a test in this time period are just the typical dishonesty that we always get from progressives.

It is nice of you to provide a cite that proves that everything that I say is true. But maybe next time try doing it without all the unnecessary ad hominem fallacies.

hightor wrote:
Note as well how this character is so quick to play the injured party ("someone used an ad hominem against me <sob, sob>")

When all that you have to support your position is an ad hominem fallacy, it is fair to point that out.

hightor wrote:
and yet can hardly get through a post without inventing strawmen who cheer at the deaths of USAmericans and then describing them as "progressives".

Progressives do not disguise their glee over American deaths nearly as well as they think they do.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 01:24 pm
@blatham,
Shirer had a segment of his inspection of Hitler and Fascism that dealt with "the creation of an enemy" as a necessity for the gradual rise of a fascist state.
hightor

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 01:35 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Did I say that?

Answer the question.
Quote:
God was already in it.

Right, and I'm asking you, in light of your response, why "God's" opinion is being prioritized when there are plenty of humans already saying they're fed up with aspects of the human project.
coldjoint

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 01:40 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Answer the question

Of course he can be criticized. It is all Blatham does.
Quote:
why "God's" opinion is being prioritized

Maybe because it is God.
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 01:56 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Both rags the Left depend on say she was full of **** just five years ago.

Pathetic. These are the publications you accuse of lying and spreading "fake" news but when you think they might be saying something you like you have no reservation about citing them. And, to be accurate, neither one of them said the professor was "full of ****". The reviews were even-handed and it would have been remiss of them not to point out Richardson's perspective. Again, if people dispute the facts, that's one thing, but authors are allowed to interpret the facts according to the story them want to tell. Given the facts, the reader can determine if there is bias, and is free to accept or reject the argument.

In any case, none of this in any way detracts from the discussion about Eric Hoffer, and his insights into demagoguery remain pertinent.
coldjoint

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 02:06 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
In any case, none of this in any way detracts from the discussion about Eric Hoffer, and his insights into demagoguery remain pertinent.

Insights do not matter, elections do. And these people are "insighting" to beat Trump by conflating him with their opinions.
Quote:
was "full of ****".

No, they said she was biased.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 03:09 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Shirer had a segment of his inspection of Hitler and Fascism that dealt with "the creation of an enemy" as a necessity for the gradual rise of a fascist state.
I did not remember that. Mind you, I read it somewhere around 1970. But it is almost obvious, isn't it? And Orwell got it right too.
coldjoint

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 03:21 pm
One of these days justice might be served .
MontereyJack

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 03:27 pm
@coldjoint,
lawyers are not exactly unbiased, they have to represent their clients' wishes. He was guilty.
coldjoint

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 03:31 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
He was guilty.

She is not talking about Flynn. She is talking about evidence( the FBI ignored) and that someone should be prosecuting Killary.
https://www.redstate.com/stu-in-sd/2020/03/29/about-that-anthony-weiner-laptop%E2%80%A6/
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 04:01 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
He was guilty.

I'm not sure who you are saying is guilty, but given that progressives are known to frame innocent people for imaginary crimes (note Scooter Libby), I'm certainly not going to take your word for it.
blatham

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 06:31 pm
About two weeks ago when Fox suddenly changed it's tune almost overnight, I posited that one reason may well be the fear of civil legal actions against them for misinformation (resulting in deaths, obviously).
Quote:
Report: Fox News is worried about legal action after misleading viewers about coronavirus
Vanity Fair's Gabe Sherman: Fox News is concerned their downplaying of Coronavirus exposes them “to potential legal action” from misled viewers

...When I've been talking to Fox insiders over the last few days, there's a real concern inside the network that their early downplaying of the coronavirus actually exposes Fox News to potential legal action by viewers who maybe were misled and actually have died from this. I've heard Trish Regan's being taken off the air is, you know, reflective of this concern that Fox News is in big trouble by downplaying this virus and The New York Times reported days ago that the Murdoch family was privately taking the coronavirus seriously. The Murdochs, of course, own Fox News. So, they were taken personal steps to protect themselves while anchors like Trish Regan and Sean Hannity were telling viewers that it's a hoax and putting themselves in potentially mortal danger. So I think this is a case where Fox's coverage, if it actually winds up being proved that people died because of it, this is a new terrain in terms of Fox being possibly held liable for their actions.
MM

I hope the bastards get sued into collapse and bankruptcy.

Another legal aspect here

Quote:
Michael R. Bromwich
@mrbromwich
2h
Fox is right to be concerned. Very concerned. This could be a legal bloodbath. Discovery will undoubtedly show that its personnel were putting out falsely comforting information it knew to be false and misleading in order to sync up with WH messaging.

farmerman

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 06:48 pm
@blatham,
When Mr Plump loses his job this Fall, ( being neither a barrister nor a soliciter) I really dont know but I wonder whether the Plump man with the teeny hands , could legally be considered a suspect or a "person of interest" for initiating the entire low key incompetent US response to the virus? If he can be a suspect ,For all the people whove died , maybe it will help give their families some peace .
coldjoint

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 07:10 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
“to potential legal action”

They better get a good lawyer. It is more negatives about Fox and Trump. On the other hand, we have the MSM that has been lying to people for four years.
They, the MSM, will tell us what they consider false and misleading. It will not meet legal standards only theirs.

So no big deal.

coldjoint

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 07:11 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
entire low key incompetent US response to the virus?

The early travel ban shoots that narrative to Hell.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 08:10 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
I did not remember that. Mind you, I read it somewhere around 1970. But it is almost obvious, isn't it? And Orwell got it right too.

Well you both, along with the rest of your herd on this thread, have been working very hard and for a long time here to create an enemy. Indeed it appears to be your sole argument for the illusory notion that somehow a Democrqt can win the Presidency this year.
MontereyJack

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 08:24 pm
@georgeob1,
Trump's just not doing that well in head to head matchups. That's because we don't forget.