monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sat 21 Mar, 2020 05:34 pm
In a week of very surprising things, this is not one of them.
Quote:
Trump Blames Lack of Hospital Masks on Obama

President Trump spent weeks ignoring warnings about the coronavirus from his expert advisers, and the federal government botched its attempts to set up even small-scale testing. Now, with hospitals facing an overwhelming crush of patients, state and federal governments are scrambling to provide them with desperately needed equipment to save lives and protect health-care workers.

After Trump boasted of his work filling the equipment shortage, CNN’s Jeremy Diamond read complaints from doctors about shortages, and asked why he didn’t act weeks ago. Trump blamed his tardiness on the Obama administration. “Many administrations preceded me — for the most part they did very little, in terms of what you’re talking about … We’re making much of the stuff now, it’s being delivered now,” he said.

It’s Obama’s fault? Shortly before Trump’s inauguration, the Obama administration held a high-level briefing with incoming Trump officials to prepare them for a pandemic. In 2018, Trump slashed the high-level pandemic-response office he inherited...
NYMag
0 Replies

McGentrix

Sat 21 Mar, 2020 06:50 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Note: I've bolded that last portion to point out how something very similar applies to a number of posters here and attempts to confront them with facts.

But you don't post facts. You post negative opinions and play as though they are facts. You are the opposite coin of Limbaugh.
oralloy

Sat 21 Mar, 2020 07:30 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I dont think we're that stupid.

Progressives do in fact start babbling about Fox News whenever they are bested in an argument.

farmerman wrote:
Unlike you guys, when someone disagrees with Trump, guys like you and pinky start howling about "Deep Dark States" or "pernicious pros", or "failure to back TRUMP" (Even when hes flat talking outta his ass on most of his BS about covid

That is incorrect. Conservatives do not care if someone disagrees with the President.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 21 Mar, 2020 07:31 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
you even read that article??

Yes.

farmerman wrote:
I think nuance is not in your bagga tricks. It sorta compares Pence to Trump and the article isnt really that complimentary about Trump.

I'm not sure how well I do at nuance, but I excel at facts.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 21 Mar, 2020 08:19 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
But you don't post facts. You post negative opinions and play as though they are facts.
I post both. That you find the opinion pieces negative is an issue of tribal allegiance/identity. Opinion piece are just that - opinion pieces. What makes such valuable or not is the quality of information in them, the knowledge/expertise of the author, and the quality of argumentation or inference, etc.

Quote:
You are the opposite coin of Limbaugh.
I think not but there is some temptation to write what he writes and for his audience given his $50 million per year income. But then I'd go to hell and get napalm enemas.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 21 Mar, 2020 08:28 pm
Quote:
Jason Campbell
@JasonSCampbell
1h
Ben Carson says Trump is just acting like a businessman by promoting unproven medications: "With a scientist, everything has to be clink clink clink clink. And with a business person, you know, its weighing this versus that"

Indeed. Which is why Carson advocates for brain surgery done by people with a degree in economics or business management. Am I right or am I right?
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 21 Mar, 2020 08:34 pm
Quote:
Towanda the Avenger
@kendallybrown
2h
Hobby Lobby owner David Green is telling store managers to stay open despite the pandemic because his wife had a vision from god.

He also warns they'll all have to "tighten their belts" soon. His net worth is $6.4 billion—hourly employees don't get paid sick leave.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETrCp0pXsAEM_UH?format=jpg&name=medium
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 21 Mar, 2020 11:11 pm
Thomas Mann, 2012...
Quote:
"The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition."

For the many of us who have been paying attention for years and decades, this is not news. And it is now at its worst.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 21 Mar, 2020 11:16 pm
This is a Democrat. And this is stupid as hell. God dammit.
Quote:
Detroit Free Press
@freep
· 15h
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer exempts churches from 50+ gatherings ban http://rssfeeds.freep.com/~/620132512/0/freep/home~Michigan-Gov-Gretchen-Whitmer-exempts-churches-from-gatherings-ban/
glitterbag

Sat 21 Mar, 2020 11:24 pm
@blatham,
Can a person actually get a napalm enema? That is just wrong.
blatham

Sat 21 Mar, 2020 11:33 pm
Quote:
Trump’s Spiritual Adviser Paula White Is Using the Coronavirus Crisis to Bankroll Her Church
“We are a hospital for those who are soul sick.”

On Tuesday, Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin warned senators that the outbreak of Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, and the massive recession that likely will take place might cause the unemployment rate to balloon to 20 percent. (He later walked back that dire prediction.) The same day, the president’s spiritual adviser, Paula White asked her followers for private donations to bankroll her private church, which she described as a “hospital to the sick”—the metaphysically sick, that is.
LINK

Is there anyone around Trump who isn't running a grift? This one is already a multi-millionaire
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 21 Mar, 2020 11:45 pm
@glitterbag,
I think it's detailed in Leviticus.
glitterbag

Sun 22 Mar, 2020 12:20 am
@blatham,
Sounds a little Miltonesque to me, but I trust you. What did you do to get McG's panties in a bunch?
snood

Sun 22 Mar, 2020 04:47 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Sounds a little Miltonesque to me, but I trust you. What did you do to get McG's panties in a bunch?

I think he purchases them pre-bunched
0 Replies

Brand X

Sun 22 Mar, 2020 05:07 am
Matt Stoller
@matthewstoller
·
9h
There is no agency in the Federal government that can send money to small businesses quickly. It will take six months before the first check is cut. We probably can't even get checks to individuals out in two months. The only plumbing that works is the Fed transfers to banks.
0 Replies

Brand X

Sun 22 Mar, 2020 05:13 am
David Sirota
@davidsirota
·
11h
Larry Summers was literally the Treasury Secretary who pushed the China trade deal that helped corporations offshore U.S. manufacturing: https://wsj.com/articles/SB957377738406963350
Quote Tweet

Lawrence H. Summers
@LHSummers
· 23h
Thoughts at the end of a long week:

Why can’t the greatest economy in the history of the world produce swabs, face masks and ventilators in adequate supply?
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 22 Mar, 2020 07:16 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
What did you do to get McG's panties in a bunch?
McG and georgeob believe I'm doing propaganda. Neither have differentiated propaganda from advocacy. And neither have thought about the subject enough to recognize that the former is marked by intentional deceits and the latter is not (or as soon as it does, then advocacy becomes propaganda).

Further, because I post a lot, this heightens their feelings or belief that propaganda is what I'm up to.

Then, there's the matter of differing apprehensions of truth. I'll say, for example, that Trump demonstrates almost all of the characteristics of a sociopath, thus he is one. That's an unacceptable conclusion for both of them. Obviously, it would be fair for either of them to contest my conclusion but to do so effectively they would have to study the condition, forward their reference materials and make a sound case that I have it wrong. I have studied psychopathology of this sort (though I'm surely no expert) and I've linked the reference materials I've used.

Or for another example, I'll make the claim that American conservatism and the GOP have been profoundly changed and corrupted by particular individuals and ideas that have readily traceable origins and effects. But that's a complex historical and ideological tale which, again, leads to conclusions neither are willing to accept even given that I've put a lot of study into this subject. Of course, many people study some issue and arrive at erroneous conclusions so one ought to be available for correction. But mere assertions that I have something wrong, which is what I normally get in response, just aren't convincing.

But what the hell. In my way, I like both these guys and I will staunchly defend them in the event someone suggests that either is not smarter than any bag of hammers even those really good ones made in Switzerland.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 22 Mar, 2020 07:35 am
If folks were sane and if the energy industries had much less power/influence, you'd expect that what we're now seeing in terms of significant decreases in air pollution from cars and trucks would lead to a BIG push towards non-gasoline engines for all vehicles. Maybe we'll get luck and folks will learn.
See here
Lash

Sun 22 Mar, 2020 07:37 am
@blatham,
To solve the problem mentioned in the previous post: Vote for Bernie Sanders.
blatham

Sun 22 Mar, 2020 07:47 am
There are people in the international space station right now. That has got to be particularly weird for them. And two are due back April 15th.
0 Replies