monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

snood

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 08:18 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
You can’t acknowledge he’s a lying sack of ****.

I am speaking of Blatham. He has proven himself to be a liar extraordinaire. I have no problem whatsoever acknowledging that.

You simply have never acknowledged Trump is a lying sack of ****. You can’t do it. You’ll deflect, change the subject, point here and there, anything...
but acknowledge that Trump is a lying sack of ****. It shows how weak you are. Just like him.
oralloy

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 08:24 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
Doesn't matter who says it. You can't acknowledge he's a lying sack of ****.

I'm sure that Mr. Trump has lied. But I suspect that many of his alleged lies are really truthful statements that progressives are saying are lies. Progressives have a bad habit of calling the truth a lie.

I doubt that any of Mr. Trump's lies are nearly egregious as Mr. Obama's "If you like your health plan you can keep it," and its follow-up "I'm only forcing people off from substandard plans."
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 08:28 am
@snood,
Quote:
I am speaking of Blatham. He has proven himself to be a liar extraordinaire. I have no problem whatsoever acknowledging that.

Zat blathams, he eez a fibbair, oui such a fibbair. Eet eese tres, tres extrordinaire!
0 Replies

coldjoint

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 08:30 am
@snood,
Quote:
It shows how weak you are.

Three years of attacking Trump on absolutely anything and he is still standing. Who is weak? Laughing Laughing Laughing
coldjoint

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 08:38 am
Quote:
'Why No One Trusts Media': NYT Reporters Circulate Misleading Trump Quote on Wuhan Coronavirus

The NYT has lost its credibility when it comes to honest reporting about politics.
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2020/03/17/nyt-trump-quote-on-try-getting-it-yourselves-n2565095?1710
0 Replies

livinglava

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 08:43 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
It shows how weak you are.

Three years of attacking Trump on absolutely anything and he is still standing. Who is weak? Laughing Laughing Laughing

The two party system is weak. Trump's success can only be tested to the extent the Democratic party is strong enough to be a decent alternative.

The Democrats just corral people into voting against the GOP with fear, or they use economic incentives (which the GOP does also).

There is a lack of political discourse that goes beyond base "economic growth and jobs" politics.

The public has basically rejected real democracy in favor of economic authoritarianism and political factionalism, which has happened ironically despite the fundamental national paradigm of liberty and democracy as a basis for society.
0 Replies

Brand X

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 08:48 am
One of my fellow employees returned last weekend from an 80's cruise and as a precaution HR didn't allow her to return to work for two weeks, today she tested positive for Covid 19. Good call.

So go on that dream cruise you've always wanted to go on, CJ!
coldjoint

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 08:55 am
@Brand X,
Quote:
So go on that dream cruise you've always wanted to go on, CJ!

Are you saying you want me to get sick? Very petty. And I never wanted to go on a cruise, not that you would know anything about me but what I have posted.
0 Replies

Brand X

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 08:56 am
Michael Tracey
@mtracey
·
37m
I realize this isn't the biggest news of the day, but speaking of REAL hoaxes, the DOJ has dropped charges brought by Mueller against the so-called Russian "troll farms." As expected, the central tenet of the "Russian interference" narrative has collapsed
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 09:01 am
Quote:
It isn’t easy to find any bright spots amid our ongoing slide into failed-state status, but here’s one: Far more Americans trust the news media than trust President Trump to tell them the truth about our coronavirus crisis.

A new poll from NPR, PBS News Hour and Marist finds that only 37 percent of Americans have a good deal of trust in the information Trump tells them about coronavirus. By contrast, 60 percent have little to no trust.

Meanwhile, the poll also finds that 50 percent have a good deal of trust in the news media’s information about the disease, versus 47 percent who lack trust. That’s not ideal, to be sure, but it’s good that far more trust the media than trust Trump.

I’d like to suggest that a great deal is at stake here. Our national response to a crisis with extraordinarily far-reaching destructive potential is more or less under the control of a megalomaniac who, with the eager backing of his media allies, vastly prioritizes protecting his reelection chances over protecting the country.

Some important new reporting helps underscore these stakes. The Post reports that Trump propagandists like Sean Hannity have stampeded in herd-like fashion from initially attacking the media for supposedly hyping coronavirus to claiming its dire nature actually displays Trump’s heroism.

Such attacks on the media have been central to the broader project of protecting Trump’s reelection chances at all costs. First Trump and his propagandists accused the media of exaggerating the threat to protect his initial instinct to downplay it himself, all to avoid rattling the markets, to buoy his reelection hopes.

Then, when it became obvious the crisis was very serious indeed, Trump attacked the media to discredit its aggressive reporting on his failure to respond to it competently and with urgency. And now, Trump’s propagandists are supplanting that reporting with their own narrative — one in which the very same crisis they previously downplayed now showcases Trump’s decisive and “bold” leadership...
Sargent
0 Replies

Brand X

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 10:55 am
Could add Wal Mart to this equation too.

Stacy Mitchell
@stacyfmitchell
Collapsing our distribution system to a single pipeline called Amazon is very risky & deeply damaging to the economy.

For one, it means Amazon is effectively regulating our commerce, like a government.

In a competitive market, there would be other channels of distribution.
Quote Tweet

Vox
@voxdotcom
· 1h
Amazon is banning some non-essential items during the coronavirus pandemic
izzythepush

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 11:33 am
This is the only thing on the telly right now.

Not really.
0 Replies

livinglava

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 11:40 am
@Brand X,
Brand X wrote:

Could add Wal Mart to this equation too.

Stacy Mitchell
@stacyfmitchell
Collapsing our distribution system to a single pipeline called Amazon is very risky & deeply damaging to the economy.

For one, it means Amazon is effectively regulating our commerce, like a government.

In a competitive market, there would be other channels of distribution.
Quote Tweet

Vox
@voxdotcom
· 1h
Amazon is banning some non-essential items during the coronavirus pandemic

Walmart and Amazon are just visibly monolithic. There are supply-chain control strategies that avoid the appearance of centralization while still controlling relationships between supply-chains and consumers.

More importantly, though, a freeer market wouldn't remedy the problems of hoarding and price-gauging, which would escalate in a crisis situation like this coronacrisis.

Take for example these guys who started buying up hand-sanitizer en masse. If everyone buys up stuff like sanitizer and toilet paper and withholds it until consumers pay double, triple, etc. of the regular price, there is no competition between sellers to bring the price down.

I.e. consumers don't have time to shop for every little thing to avoid price-gauging. You have to have established retailers with stable prices so people can decide where to go shopping with some foreknowledge of what to expect.

If you would go to some store, online or not, that you regularly shop at and prices and inventory were always different from before, how would decide where to go shopping? You'd have to spend all your time shopping around and whenever you made a purchase, it would be a gamble whether you'd come across the same product at a better price elsewhere later on.
0 Replies

Brand X

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 12:15 pm
Matt Stoller
@matthewstoller
·
58m
The global system is going to be very different after this crisis. The world is not flat. And it looks like China is gearing up for major hostilities, though hopefully not military ones.
Quote Tweet

Melissa Chan
@melissakchan
· 1h
China appears to be kicking out ALL American reporters for NYTimes, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post. Including those in Hong Kong (no longer two systems eh?)
livinglava

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 01:10 pm
@Brand X,
Brand X wrote:

Matt Stoller
@matthewstoller
·
58m
The global system is going to be very different after this crisis. The world is not flat. And it looks like China is gearing up for major hostilities, though hopefully not military ones.
Quote Tweet

Melissa Chan
@melissakchan
· 1h
China appears to be kicking out ALL American reporters for NYTimes, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post. Including those in Hong Kong (no longer two systems eh?)

We have no idea how many different 'systems' there are. We have no idea, for example, whether the Chinese government is lying and angry at reporters for catching them at it, or whether they are trying to tell the truth and journalists are being manipulated by some other subversive authority.

People assume who is telling the truth and who is lying, but the problem is how do they know what the truth is to begin with? Unless you can assume that there is such a thing as honesty in power, you don't really know what is true or not beyond your own ability to assess it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 01:17 pm
As always, LL has no clue what she's talking about. Hong Kong ostensibly has a separate system of governance from that of mainland China. (Hint LL, Hong Kong is an island.)
livinglava

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 01:26 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

As always, LL has no clue what she's talking about. Hong Kong ostensibly has a separate system of governance from that of mainland China. (Hint LL, Hong Kong is an island.)

I didn't know what 'system' even referred to in the post I was responding to.

It mentioned a 'global system' that's going to be different. What 'global system?' A 'global system' for what?

My point is we don't know exactly who's lying and who's subverting whom. There is a lot of misinformation and blaming going around, and no one seems to be able to reach consensus about what information to respond to as being accurate, so that mistrust is fueling the flames of conflict and blame.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 02:39 pm
I don't give a rat's ass what you do or don't understand. As for "global," that was mentioned in a different tweet than the one which mentions two different systems. Those tweets were by two different people. Try to pay attention, so that you can keep up with the discussion.
hightor

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 02:46 pm
Trump Now Claims He Always Knew the Coronavirus Would Be a Pandemic

The president tried to rewrite his history with advising Americans about the coronavirus. His own words prove him wrong.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — For weeks, President Trump has minimized the coronavirus, mocked concern about it and treated the risk cavalierly. On Tuesday he took to the White House podium and made a remarkable pronouncement: He knew it was a pandemic all along.

“I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic,” Mr. Trump told reporters.

Here is what Mr. Trump actually said from the beginning of the pandemic.

Jan. 22, asked on CNBC whether he was concerned about a global pandemic: “No, not at all,’’ Mr. Trump said. “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

Feb. 26, at a White House news conference, about the number of reported cases of the virus: “We’re going down, not up. We’re going very substantially down, not up.”

Feb. 27, at a White House meeting: “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.”

March 7, seated next to President Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil at Mar-a-Lago, his Palm Beach, Fla., club: “I’m not concerned at all.” (At least three members of the Brazilian delegation and one Trump donor at Mar-a-Lago on March 7 later tested positive for the virus.)

March 16, in the White House briefing room, warning that the outbreak would last until summer and then suddenly disappear: “So it could be right in that period of time where it, I say, wash — it washes through. Other people don’t like that term. But where it washes through.”

nyt

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

livinglava

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 03:16 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I don't give a rat's ass what you do or don't understand. As for "global," that was mentioned in a different tweet than the one which mentions two different systems. Those tweets were by two different people. Try to pay attention, so that you can keep up with the discussion.

I don't want any parts of rodents you've collected anyway; and try to be more respectful when someone responds to a post without reading every other post that relates to it. These threads are long and have many branching tangents, so you can't expect readers to keep up with all the tangents.

It's best to write posts in way that they can be read independently, but when that doesn't happen, you can just clarify misunderstandings without telling people you're not going to share your rats' asses with them.
0 Replies