monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

gungasnake

Mon 16 Mar, 2020 10:57 pm
Then again, there is always the option for running AOC for president....

https://www.godlikeproductions.com/images/smilies/custom/bf2703bd71.png
oralloy

Mon 16 Mar, 2020 11:02 pm
@gungasnake,
https://cdn.creators.com/210/245332/245332_image.jpg
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 16 Mar, 2020 11:05 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Anybody here other than me trying to keep up with the saga of the Hildabeast??

I'm not paying much attention to politics, although I do listen to the evening news.

I know that Mr. Trump protects the Second Amendment.

I know that all of the Democratic candidates want to violate the Second Amendment, and for no reason other than the sadistic joy they get from violating people's civil liberties.

That's really all I need to know on election day (or, considering COVID-19, when I fill out my absentee ballot).
gungasnake

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 12:11 am
@oralloy,
Seen this?

https://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message4308721/pg1
oralloy

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 12:58 am
@gungasnake,
Builder said on the previous page of this thread that something was going on with Google searches. I haven't really looked into it though.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 02:07 am
@oralloy,
Alphabet Inc's YouTube, Facebook Inc and Twitter Inc warned on Monday that more videos and other content could be erroneously removed for policy violations, as the companies empty offices and rely on automated takedown software during the coronavirus pandemic.
0 Replies

snood

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 04:24 am
‪A “remarkable change in the president’s tone”. Such bullshit. He was dragged kicking and screaming to facing the reality. But like usual when he steps his fat ass over the low bar set for him he gets praise like a spoiled little kid who finally took his damn medicine.‬
blatham

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 05:47 am
@snood,
Quote:
‪A “remarkable change in the president’s tone”. Such bullshit.
And precisely matched by Fox. So something happened and we don't yet know what that was (if we ever do). Somebody(s) came down on both or a conclusion/consensus was reached at a high level that the present course was highly destructive to both Fox and GOP/WH and an immediate change agreed upon. It is obviously coordinated. One thought that occurred as I was waking this morning was a possibility that Fox might fear some potential civil legal liability up the road but I don't know and doubt it would be provable. A better guess would be fear they'd lose their audience and thus the billions Murdoch earns via Fox. I do not consider the possibility that morality was the factor.
snood

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 05:53 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I do not consider the possibility that morality was the factor.

With this crowd we never have to bother wondering if they are motivated by doing what’s morally right
blatham

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 05:57 am
Quote:
Before Trump’s inauguration, a warning: ‘The worst influenza pandemic since 1918'

In a tabletop exercise days before an untested new president took power, officials briefed the incoming administration on a scenario remarkably like the one he faces now.

Seven days before Donald Trump took office, his aides faced a major test: the rapid, global spread of a dangerous virus in cities like London and Seoul, one serious enough that some countries were imposing travel bans.

In a sober briefing, Trump’s incoming team learned that the disease was an emerging pandemic — a strain of novel influenza known as H9N2 — and that health systems were crashing in Asia, overwhelmed by the demand.

“Health officials warn that this could become the worst influenza pandemic since 1918,” Trump’s aides were told. Soon, they heard cases were popping up in California and Texas.

The briefing was intended to hammer home a new, terrifying reality facing the Trump administration, and the incoming president’s responsibility to protect Americans amid a crisis. But unlike the coronavirus pandemic currently ravaging the globe, this 2017 crisis didn’t really happen — it was among a handful of scenarios presented to Trump’s top aides as part of a legally required transition exercise with members of the outgoing administration of Barack Obama.

And in the words of several attendees, the atmosphere was “weird” at best, chilly at worst.

POLITICO obtained documents from the meeting and spoke with more than a dozen attendees to help provide the most detailed reconstruction of the closed-door session yet. It was perhaps the most concrete and visible transition exercise that dealt with the possibility of pandemics, and top officials from both sides — whether they wanted to be there or not — were forced to confront a whole-of-government response to a crisis. The Trump team was told it could face specific challenges, such as shortages of ventilators, anti-viral drugs and other medical essentials, and that having a coordinated, unified national response was “paramount” — warnings that seem eerily prescient given the ongoing coronavirus crisis.
Politico

If you are reminded of the new Bush administration totally ignoring their early briefings on the hints of Al-Qaeda mounting an attack on the continental USA, you'd be like me. People who believe they already know it all are the worst listeners/learners.

Then add in a chief executive who, as a matter of personal pathologies, cannot abide anyone else appearing smarter than him, and you get our present situation.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 06:02 am
Quote:
U.S. Lags in Coronavirus Testing
After Slow Response to Outbreak

Coronavirus testing data has been spotty and not easily available, especially in the United States. Based on official government sources, here’s how testing efforts in the United States compare with those in Italy and South Korea.
NYT
0 Replies

coldjoint

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 07:05 am
@snood,
Quote:
With this crowd we never have to bother wondering if they are motivated by doing what’s morally right

And that makes them the same as everyone in politics. Your moralizing is meaningless.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 07:16 am
Quote:
Texas’ first coronavirus death is elderly Matagorda County man

Quote:
The Matagorda County Emergency Operations Center said in a press release that confirmed that a man in his late 90s died Sunday night at Matagorda Regional Medical Center with “symptoms consistent with COVID-19.”

Late 90's.
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/03/17/texas-first-coronavirus-death-is-elderly-matagorda-county-man/?utm_content=buffer96b46&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 07:30 am
Totally off topic.

Any of you who have done a lot of skiing particularly if you've headed off into the back country where slopes haven't been groomed and aren't patrolled, you'll likely have prepared yourself and gained some familiarity with the dynamics of snow packs because you don't want to get killed in an avalanche. I've personally witnessed two skiers who went off piste and got caught but were lucky and survived.

Ski patrols have expertise in snow pack stability as do highways departments where avalanches are a yearly problem (eg through the Rockies) and heli-ski operations. But in any case, the physics of snow packs - how they accumulate, how weather conditions effect them and how they evolve internally are really very interesting.

If you have any interest or if you're just bored from being inside, this New Yorker piece might be for you.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 07:48 am
Quote:
Whatever the motivation, Trump at least sounded different yesterday afternoon, even if that meant contradicting his earlier messages, even if his posture may revert back at any time.

There were, of course, some exceptions. Asked on a scale of 1 to 10, how he'd rate his response to the crisis, the president replied, with a straight face, "I'd rate it a 10." Given the scope and scale of the White House's missteps, and the consequences of these misjudgments, that's not an assessment anyone should take seriously.

But perhaps most importantly, Trump also declared yesterday, "We have a problem that a month ago nobody ever thought about."
Benen

You lying sack of ****.
coldjoint

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 07:54 am
@blatham,
Quote:

You lying sack of ****.

Absolutely meaningless coming from you, try again.
coldjoint

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 08:01 am
Quote:
Trump beats both Biden, Sanders in Florida, says new poll

Quote:
Both Democratic candidates fall short of defeating President Trump, who became a Florida resident last year. Matched against Biden, Trump received 48% voter support, compared to Biden’s 45%.

Against Sanders, Trump polled at 49%, while Sanders earned 42% of voter support.

The poll shows the president has a 54% approval rating in the Sunshine State, and a 46% unfavorable rating.

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/elections/trump-more-favorable-florida-biden-sanders-says-new-poll
0 Replies

snood

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 08:06 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

You lying sack of ****.

Absolutely meaningless coming from you, try again.

Doesn’t matter who says it. You can’t acknowledge he’s a lying sack of ****.
coldjoint

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 08:10 am
@snood,
Quote:
You can’t acknowledge he’s a lying sack of ****.

I am speaking of Blatham. He has proven himself to be a liar extraordinaire. I have no problem whatsoever acknowledging that.
Brand X

Tue 17 Mar, 2020 08:15 am
Matt Stoller
@matthewstoller
·
1h
Whoa, so Pelosi and Mnuchin lied to House members and rewrote the bill on Monday?!? They took out sick leave protections for *health care workers!?!?* Secretly?!? with no members seeing the text?!? This is very bad.
Quote Tweet

Kate Davidson
@KateDavidson
· 8h
The House passed a bill Monday night that significantly scaled back the paid sick-leave program it had tried to en­act days ear­lier.

Democrats and admin officials billed it as a technical corrections bill.
0 Replies