monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 04:21 am
Best contemporary idea I know of
Quote:
California conservatives will hold conference featuring Bannon despite coronavirus concerns

The coronavirus has closed schools and knocked pro sports out of commission.

But not the California Republican Assembly.

The conservative group plans to soldier on with a conference of more than 200 next weekend in Tulare County that includes former White House adviser Steve Bannon and indicted former Trump aide George Papadopoulos on topics that include “the Deep State.”
Politico
blatham

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 04:26 am
Would anyone be surprised to discover that over the last two months the Trump organization has been investing heavily in crematoriums.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 04:40 am
@Builder,
Quote:
quite literally shooting himself in the foot.

No, he obviously did not "literally" shoot himself in the foot. Had he done so I'm sure we'd have heard a lot more about this incident. And it would have been a lot more dramatic.

Builder

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 05:42 am
@hightor,
Your patently puerile reactions used to be kinda cute,
but wearing thin lately.
glitterbag

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 05:46 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Your patently puerile reactions used to be kinda cute,
but wearing thin lately.

And yet, and yet....your patently puerile reactions have never been cute.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 05:50 am
@Builder,
Sorry, but your solecisms are fair game. Learn how to use the English language properly and watch my reactions disappear. Your comments are pretty vapid otherwise.
0 Replies

revelette3

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 05:50 am
Quote:
The mayor of Miami says he tested positive for the new coronavirus after meeting with a Brazilian official who also was in close proximity to President Donald Trump.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/miami-mayor-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-after-brazilian-event/ar-BB119Cw9?ocid=spartandhp
0 Replies

revelette3

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 05:53 am
Quote:
The president inaccurately described travel restrictions he had announced, falsely blamed his predecessor for testing shortages and misstated the role Google was playing in mitigating the outbreak.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/us/politics/fact-check-trump-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 06:15 am

'I don't take responsibility': Trump shakes hands and spreads blame over coronavirus

Declaring a national emergency at the White House, the president defied medical advice and acted like a one-man coronavirus cannon

Quote:
He fingered the microphone and put his lips up close. He shook hands with everyone he could. Donald Trump, who promised you’re going to win so much you’ll get sick of winning, might also just make you sick.

In the White House rose garden on Friday, the US president defied the advice of medical experts standing behind him and behaved like a one-man coronavirus cannon.

Trump declared a national emergency (“two very big words”, said the man known for his misspelled tweets) that would release up to $50bn to combat the pandemic, which this week topped 2,000 cases and had the lamps going out all over America.

Reporters wanted to know whether this 73-year-old man with a poor diet – his former doctor reportedly hid cauliflower in his mashed potatoes – is putting himself and others at risk. Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro’s press secretary tested positive for coronavirus days after taking part in meetings with Trump at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida.

Should Trump therefore self-isolate? “Well, I don’t know that I had exposure, but I don’t have any of the symptoms,” he replied. “And we do have a White House doctor and, I should say, many White House doctors, frankly. And I asked them that same question, and they said, ‘You don’t have any symptoms whatsoever.’ And we don’t want people without symptoms to go and do the test. The test is not insignificant.”

But later another reporter pushed him harder, noting that a person without symptoms might still be infected. Question: “Are you being selfish by not getting tested and potentially exposing – ”

Trump: “Well, I didn’t say I wasn’t going to be tested.”

Question: “Are you going to be?”

Trump: “Most likely, yeah. Most likely.”

Question: “When do you think that will happen?”

Trump: “Not for that reason, but because I think I will do it anyway. Fairly soon.”

Coronavirus is a crisis of a different magnitude from those faced by Trump before. It has upended daily life and left liberals cursing the cosmic dice: how come Tom Hanks is infected while Trump gets off scot-free?

When the celebrity businessman has his back to the wall, he calls for the cavalry of corporate America. At Friday’s press conference he rolled in business titans to save the day, treating them to plenty of handshakes and little social distancing.

“You’re going to be hearing from some of the largest companies and greatest retailers and medical companies in the world,” he said, presumably hoping to reassure the stock market. “They’re standing right behind me and to the side of me ... they’re celebrities in their own right.”

Trump announced that “drive-thru” testing centers would be set up in parking lots at CVS, Target, Walmart and Walgreens stores.

This, he hopes, will resolve a spectacularly awful time lag in testing kits being made available. America has been put to shame by South Korea.

The wartime president Harry Truman used to keep a sign on his desk that said: “The buck stops here.” Trump, however, seems eager to wash his hands of the matter, if not actually wash his hands. “Yeah, no, I don’t take responsibility at all, because we were given a set of circumstances and we were given rules, regulations, and specifications from a different time,” he said. “It wasn’t meant for this kind of an event with the kind of numbers that we’re talking about.”

Then Yamiche Alcindor of PBS asked why, in 2018, Trump had dissolved the White House’s National Security Council directorate for global health security and biodefense.

Like a schoolboy caught red-handed, he blustered: “Well, I just think it’s a nasty question because what we’ve done is – and Tony has said numerous times that we’ve saved thousands of lives because of the quick closing. And when you say ‘me’, I didn’t do it. We have a group of people I could – ”

Alcindor followed up. Trump rambled: “It’s the – it’s the administration. Perhaps they do that. You know, people let people go. You used to be with a different newspaper than you are now. You know, things like that happen.”

It is not the first time he has resorted to the word “nasty” when asked a tough question by a woman of colour.

The buck stops here.

guardian
blatham

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 06:29 am
Apparently, Canada Customs is gearing up for an influx of American citizens seeking to flee their shithole country.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 06:35 am
@hightor,
Quote:
US President Donald Trump does not need a test for COVID-19 or to undergo quarantine, despite having been in contact with two Brazilian officials last weekend who have since tested positive for the virus.

The White House released an official statement by Trump's physician Sean P. Conley stating that the president's interaction with Brazilian officials in Mar-a-Lago, Florida last week "would be categorized as low risk for transmission … and as such, there is no indication for home quarantine at this time."
dw
Obviously there are different ideas about it in different countries regions.

I live in one of the 26 European countries, the EU, where we have "failed to take the same precautions" as done in the USA.

Translated the advice from our district's public health department from earlier (last week):
Quote:
People who have had personal contact (regardless of travel) with a person less than two metres apart, who has been found to have the virus in the laboratory should contact their local health authority by telephone immediately, regardless of symptoms. Until contact is made, unnecessary contact should be avoided - regardless of symptoms - and the person concerned should stay at home. You should observe the coughing and sneezing label (sneeze and cough into the crook of your arm), don't shake hands and keep generally good hand hygiene.
0 Replies

Brand X

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 06:35 am
Nicholas Kristof
@NickKristof
· 12h
A hospital in Seattle area has sent out a note to staff, shared with me, suspending elective surgery and warning that "our local COVID-19 trajectory is likely to be similar to that of Northern Italy." The hospital is down to a four-day supply of gloves.
blatham

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 06:57 am
@Setanta
Quote:
...Loftus performs standup, has written for television shows such as “Robot Chicken,” and co-hosts a feminist-film podcast called “The Bechdel Cast.” But, in the past few years, she has become best known for her comedic stunts. In 2018, Loftus took Mensa’s I.Q. exam while hungover on shandies, scored in the ninety-eighth percentile, and celebrated her admission with a triumphant blog post titled “Good News, They Let Dumb Sluts into Mensa Now.” Soon after, a Mensa member contacted her to warn that the group is not all “silly fun, board games . . . and happy nerds” but has a “nasty alt-right undercurrent.” She then discovered a reactionary, proudly unmoderated official Facebook group of American Mensans called Firehouse, in which, according to its description, subjects range from “Fluffy Kittens to items that will make you wish you could bleach your brain.” Typical content includes crude memes mocking Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez, bad-faith anti-trans bathroom opinions, and support for building a border wall. One post argues that black people have benefitted from slavery and women from human trafficking because “their children enjoy a better life than in ‘shitholes.’ ” Loftus’s desire to understand this “living, breathing hostile comments section” culminated in her attendance at the 2019 American Mensa Gathering, in Phoenix, Arizona. Last month, she released a four-episode podcast miniseries about the experience called “My Year in Mensa.” The show uses first-person reporting to offer insight into how the geeky group became a forum for the far right.
NYer

Posted in reference to we-all-know-whom
MontereyJack

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 08:54 am
@Builder,
It's pretty clear from that clip that "the (fox) Five" are the ones full of ****. He's far more Correct Joe" than "Creepy Joe".
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 09:00 am
@coldjoint,
regular flu kills people too. The Spanish flu in 2018 killed reportedly around 600,000 people in the u.s., maybe by some estimates 500 million worldwidewhich is far worse than the 2000 or so deaths the average flus we get today kills.. Viruses mutate and evolve. They're really good at that. Your comparison with other corona ciruses is bogus, because this is far worse because it has evolved.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 09:32 am
@MontereyJack,
Important as well, the virus that causes the disease, Sars-CoV-2, is a new pathogen in humans, meaning we are all immunologically naive to it.

The CFR of the 1918 flu is still being debated, mainly because there was then no reliable diagnostic test for flu, but the number usually quoted is 2.5%.

There are -why didn't coldjoint mention it? - two other flu pandemics that struck in the 20th century: the 1957 "Asian" flu, and the 1968 "Hong Kong" flu.
Both had CFRs much closer to 0.1%, and neither killed more than 3 million people at the most. Another major difference between the 1918 flu and Covid-19 is that the flu mainly affected those aged between 20 and 40, while Covid-19 mainly affects those over 60.

An interesting aside: one of the reasons the 1918 flu came to be known as the "Spanish" flu was because Spain was neutral in the war and didn’t censor its press - the US, Britain and France, all of which had the flu before Spain, kept it out of the newspapers at first to avoid damaging morale.
In the German Reich, for strategic reasons, it was not permitted to report on illnesses at the front. In the summer of 1918, however, German newspapers wrote about cases of influenza in the civilian sector. To avoid panic, it was spread that there was only one fatality for every 500 people who fell ill. The flu was at first called "Blitz catarrh" or "Flanders fever".
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 11:22 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Your comparison with other corona ciruses is bogus, because this is far worse because it has evolved.

Well, the MSM has people in a panic. A panic is the worst thing, not the virus. The fact is many more people will recover completely than die or even be hospitalized.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 11:36 am
Quote:
NY Gov. Cuomo Becomes the Second Democrat to Praise President Trump’s Efforts to Fight the Coronavirus

Quote:
"I want to thank the Vice President and especially the President who facilitated this and moved quickly."

No one here can bring themselves to admit Trump and his administration are doing a good job. Cuomo hates Trump and he can do it. Do not forget California's governor.
Quote:
Newsom replied: “We had a private conversation, but he said, ‘We’re gonna do the right thing’ and ‘You have my support, all of our support, logistically and otherwise.’ He said everything I could have hoped for.

https://www.redstate.com/elizabeth-vaughn/2020/03/14/ny-gov.-cuomo-becomes-the-second-democrat-to-praise-president-trumps-efforts-to-fight-coronavirus
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 11:48 am
Quote:
RNC Chairman destroys democrats in blistering 8-tweet timeline of their coronavirus inaction

Quote:
In an eight-part Twitter thread posted this week, McDaniel leveled a blistering playback of inaction by Democrats in the efforts to combat the pandemic that has claimed nearly 5,000 lives worldwide.

Priorities? Americans well being not anywhere near the top of the list for Democrats..
Quote:
McDaniel started off with the events of January 7, noting that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention “established a coronavirus incident management system, two days before China announced the outbreak.”

Meanwhile, at the same time, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi “began Week 3 of withholding her sham impeachment articles."

Keep reading at the link.
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/03/14/rnc-chairman-destroys-democrats-in-blistering-8-tweet-timeline-of-their-coronavirus-inaction-897177
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 12:03 pm
https://thepeoplescube.com/images/Coronavirus_Tips_CNN.jpg

Satire is sometimes very close to reality.
0 Replies