monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 05:49 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Fail.

Your dislike of facts is hardly a failure on my part.

hightor wrote:
liar.

You cannot provide any examples of anything untrue in my posts.
Brand X

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 06:11 am
Michael Hobbes
@RottenInDenmark
·
15h
Just went to Seattle’s UW Medical Center to ask how much patients are being charged for a coronavirus test.

$100-$500 if they have insurance.
$1,600 if they don’t.
0 Replies

Brand X

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 06:15 am
Matt Stoller
@matthewstoller
·
2m
jfc the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation Chair Jelena McWilliams announced buyouts and early retirements aimed at clearing out 20% of staff, targeting the most experienced in the middle of an economic crisis.

What is wrong with these people?
0 Replies

lmur

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 06:19 am
Anyone from the US who fancies a round of golf and vacation at a Trump Resort can do so at Turnberry, Scotland, UK and Doonbeg, County Clare, Ireland as, happily, both countries have been exempted from the Europe-wide travel ban.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 06:24 am
@oralloy,
With your higher than Einstein's IQ you really should be able to re-read what you wrote:
Quote:
[Biden] admires Joseph Stalin and aspires to be just like him

hightor kindly asked you a citation for that.
oralloy

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 06:30 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes. And I provided him with an example of Biden's Stalinist aspirations.

He didn't seem to like my answer very much. But progressives never seem to like facts.
0 Replies

snood

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 06:31 am
@lmur,
lmur wrote:

Anyone from the US who fancies a round of golf and vacation at a Trump Resort can do so at Turnberry, Scotland, UK and Doonbeg, County Clare, Ireland as, happily, both countries have been exempted from the Europe-wide travel ban.

What a fortunate co-inky dink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 06:31 am
@lmur,
Ireland and Britain aren’t part of Trump’s coronavirus travel ban. This is why.
Quote:
In a speech Wednesday, President Trump announced a ban on travelers from Europe. This led to a lot of initial confusion over what Trump meant by “Europe,” and whether trade in goods was banned too (Trump said it was, but the White House quickly clarified that this was not the case). Trump also said that the United Kingdom would be exempted from the ban, prompting a lot of speculation as to what exactly was going on. It turns out that the ban — and the exception for the United Kingdom — is not quite as arbitrary as it sounds. Trump’s ban extends to countries in what’s known as the “Schengen area,” a region that includes most states that are members of the European Union (as well as Norway, Iceland and Switzerland). The Schengen area does not include the U.K. nor Ireland.
[...]
Trump, in his speech, blamed Europe [sic!] for not being careful enough in introducing restrictions, saying that viral clusters in the United States have been “seeded by travel from Europe.” The rationale for the ban appears to be that border-free travel will allow the contagion to spread throughout the Schengen area, and then jump to other countries such as the United States.

Why then are some Schengen states restricting travel from other Schengen states, and why is Trump imposing a general ban on foreign nationals who have been in the Schengen area? One plausible explanation might be that travel bans send a highly visible signal to voters that the government is doing something to stop the spread. That might be particularly politically important in the United States, where the government has not yet been able to test citizens for the novel coronavirus in significant numbers, let alone introduce significant targeted measures to halt the spread of the virus that causes the disease covid-19.

Though many Schengen area states are likely to be very angry at Trump’s decision, the willingness of some of their fellow Schengen members to impose similar restrictions will make it hard for them to respond in an unified way. It will be particularly interesting to see whether states such as Austria and Hungary denounce the U.S. ban or seek an exemption on the basis that they are imposing restrictions, and whether Ireland will refer to the ban on its fellow E.U. member states in the prime minister’s meeting with Trump on Thursday.
0 Replies

snood

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 08:26 am
This huge shortfall on testing in the US:
Is the profit motive a big part of it?
I know that management has been epically bungled.
But I was wondering if the good ole All American reflex that looks for how to turn every eventuality into profit was a part of how incredibly mangled the efforts have been to get sufficient numbers of tests efficiently out to who needs them.
Brand X

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 08:41 am
@snood,
Yes, and even Trump has viewed this whole event as a CEO would, managing the numbers, mostly poll numbers, but not any that would be prudent.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 08:43 am
@RABEL222,
Against what, I never mentioned him until he started getting personal for no reason.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 08:45 am
It occurs to me that six months up the road, the Coen brothers' film No Country For Old Men is going to take on a new connotation.
Baldimo

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 08:49 am
@blatham,
Yes, the old folks on this site, and there are a nch of them, had better be careful or we will see membership on this site drop at a startling rate.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 09:01 am
Last night, right wing televangelist Kenneth Copeland healed viewers of the coronavirus through their televisions.

So, how cool is that. And it's like real. Don't use the word scam here, I pray you.

Copeland owns two private jets that fly to Maui, Fiji, Honolulu and other places where there are lepers to care for.
h/t Right Wing Watch
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 09:09 am
Oh goodness. And I see Marianne Williamson broad cast a prayer spell to stop the virus too. But that's devil magic so it won't work.

And let me tell ya, it is the weirdest prayer you've eva hoid. Go to 4:15 of the video that heads up the page here https://therecount.com/watch/daily-recount-march-11th-2020/2645464050

I didn't pay any attention to this person over the last months as I saw her as totally irrelevant. She's a grade A fruitcake, this one.
bobsal u1553115

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 09:14 am
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7WOA9jqOzpw/Xmlsfr4ZLGI/AAAAAAACB9Q/hDiwXY9zQG8db4M3BK1H0QUvFa2Opf8SACLcBGAsYHQ/s640/1%2Bclay%2Bbennett.jpg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 09:15 am
@blatham,
Wasn't that Marianne video berserk?
bobsal u1553115

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 09:19 am
@snood,
They haven't found a way to monetize it yet. They'll be buying funeral homes before its over to get in on at least some of the money.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 09:29 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Yes it was. WTF?
blatham

Thu 12 Mar, 2020 09:32 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ES6nKYAWkAYk5Tb?format=png&name=small

PS Minesota now offers curbside coronavirus testing. Call ahead, drive up, test taken, results next day.link
0 Replies