Sturgis

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 05:06 pm
@blatham,
Not to worry. She undoubtedly believes "he has learned from this."
blatham

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 05:13 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
What do you think of Barr's rebuke to the president?

The real deal or a choreographed effort to appear independent?

As rev says, option 2.

There's nothing I can think of in Barr's past to suggest is sincerely concerned with Trump's demands that anyone and everyone fall into line with his wishes regardless of law or traditional norms. He's been covering Trump's ass since before he got this posting and he has a history of pushing for an imperial presidency since the Reagan administration. Not to mention his recent speech which laid out very clearly his notion that liberalism is allied with Satan (he didn't say that specifically, but that's the theological idea he subscribes to). He's not going to doing anything to damage Trump or Republican power.

But he is aware of the widespread and very negative commentary following Trump's tweet placing Barr as his stooge in this matter. That's the damage he's actually concerned with as it endangers his own goals.

Edit: I should add that Barr has more latitude than others to say something Trump wouldn't like (ie anything critical or contradictory) because Trump really, really needs Barr to cover his ass. Vicious tweets from Trump not expected.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 05:16 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
She undoubtedly believes "he has learned from this."
Yeah. Miss Sincerity, this one. Nothing to do with her coming election.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 06:04 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
What do you think of Barr's rebuke to the president?
The real deal or a choreographed effort to appear independent?

Choreographed. He knows very well that he is supposed to do exactly what the President tells him to do.

He is just spouting nonsense to humor delusional progressives who hate our Constitution.

Why he should bother humoring progressives and their bizarre delusions, I have no idea.
Sturgis

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 06:09 pm
@oralloy,
Either he was attempting to show a spine (a bit late for that now) or it was put together in Trump's boudoir last night, as they hatched a plan to try to silence any critics. Lindsey Graham went wild and giddy with approval.
blatham

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 06:21 pm
I don't normally post political cartoons because most are quite juvenile. I'll make an exception here

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQmZzfPW4AAHOGS?format=jpg&name=900x900

It's quite cute, to my mind anyway. Stone, of course, does have a tattoo of Nixon on his back (though it is far less artistically agreeable that what's shown above).

What's not right about the gag however is that Stone really did worship Reagan while Barr certainly does not hold Trump in any similar regard. He is merely using Trump to achieve his extremist political/theological ideology.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 06:23 pm
@Sturgis,
It wasn't a matter of showing spine.

Showing spine would be to go on TV and flatly state that the President has every right to give orders like this.

Trying to just get these silly critics to shut up is more plausible than any other motivation I've heard.

But I don't see why they should care. These critics are easily ignored.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 06:51 pm
@hightor,
Also relevant to your post
Quote:
The New York City bar goes after William Barr

In a rare act of public challenge to the Trump administration, the New York City bar has written a remarkable letter to Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz as well as the chairs and ranking minority-party members of the House and Senate Judiciary committees — Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.), Rep. Douglas A. Collins (R-Ga.), Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) and Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.). The letter begins:
Quote:
We write to express our deep concerns about the impartial administration of justice in connection with the prosecution of Roger Stone in federal court in Washington, D.C., and to call for immediate investigations by Congress and by the Department of Justice Office of the Inspector General. Recent actions by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia, a component of the United States Department of Justice, raise serious questions about whether the Department of Justice is making prosecutorial decisions based not on neutral principles but in order to protect President Trump’s supporters and friends. In our criminal justice system, a single standard must apply to all who are accused or convicted of violating the law — unequal treatment based on political influence is to be deplored in all cases but is especially dangerous if it emanates from the presidency.
WP, more here

And I'll add one rather obvious point as regards Barr's statement. The pretense of democracy is a necessary fiction that authoritarian regimes employ in order to pacify and delude citizens.
oralloy

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 06:55 pm
@blatham,
Progressives can whine all they want, but the President has prosecutorial discretion.
blatham

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 07:06 pm
Quote:
walter dellinger
@walterdellinger
· 1h
1) To understand the Stone sentencing travesty, it is important to compare the thoughtful, persuasive 26-page memorandum submitted by career prosecutors on Feb 10 with the shameful, limp, & disingenuous 4-page substitute filed the next day by a political appointee

Dellinger is Emeritus Professor of Law, Duke University, Assistant AG 1993-1996, and acting Solicitor General of the US 1996-1997
oralloy

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 07:10 pm
@blatham,
It's hardly a "travesty" for the President to do something that progressives dislike. Get a grip.

And I don't care that you think what that other guy thinks.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 09:05 pm
https://www.conservativedailynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/image-9.png
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 09:34 pm
Quote:
New Hampshire man arrested after allegedly assaulting pro-Trump teen at polling site

https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2020/02/1862/1048/Patrick-Bradley-mugshot-2.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
Quote:
Police said the incident happened Tuesday as Bradley exited the voting location inside the high school and was walking by a Trump campaign tent occupied by several supporters. As he passed by the tent, police said, Bradley slapped a 15-year old juvenile across the face and then assaulted two other adults who attempted to intercede.

Bradley is also accused of throwing Trump campaign signs and attempting to knock over the campaign tent, police said.

In another year this violent hero of the Left ( where the violence comes from) will be eligible to run for president.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new-hampshire-man-arrested-after-allegedly-assaulting-pro-trump-teen-polling-site
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 09:41 pm
@oralloy,
Precisely swhy he should be voted out of office in November, prosecuted, convicted, and locked up himself
oralloy

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 09:48 pm
@MontereyJack,
The fact that he's the President is hardly a reason for voting him out of office.

And if being a president is a crime, let's prosecute Barack Obama. He's guilty of being a president.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 09:58 pm
@oralloy,
childish name-calling sgain I see. Tsk tsk.
oralloy

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 10:00 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
childish name-calling again I see. Tsk tsk.

You cannot provide any examples of any such name-calling in any of my posts, unless it was equal and fair retaliation for name-calling that was directed at me first.

There is no name-calling at all in the post of mine that you are replying to.
coldjoint

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 10:05 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
There was no name-calling in my post.

It is more and more apparent MJ simply has nothing of value to say. That he sees name calling makes me doubt his comprehension of what reads and the meaning of common words.
MontereyJack

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 10:06 pm
@oralloy,
Of cohurse there's' childish name calling in your post.The post of yours I cited is pure childish name-calling, poor little oralloy, did somebody hurt your feelings? It's plain as the nose on your face, unless you're noseless like the famous proto astronomer tycho brahe who lost his nose in a duel with swords and had to weart a fake nose for the rest of his life.
oralloy

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 10:07 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
The post of yours I cited is pure childish name-calling,

No it isn't.

MontereyJack wrote:
poor little oralloy, did somebody hurt your feelings?

No.