14th
15th
17th
24th
and 26th
ossobucotemp

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 08:52 pm
@revelette1,
just learn that there is a maximum re width, which I take as 900 but may be slightly larger

I have noted that a million times.

0 Replies

RABEL222

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 10:47 pm
I just read where Putin poisoned one of his rivals for the second time. Wonder when tRump, who admires Putin for his governing style, will start emulating him?
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 03:50 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
It sure is nice to have a President who respects the Second Amendment.

You mean a President who respects the way the amendment is currently interpreted.
blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 03:58 am
This, from a conservative radio guy, gets it right
Quote:
Mr. Trump understands that attacking the media is the reddest of meat for his base, which has been conditioned to reject reporting from news sites outside of the conservative media ecosystem.

For years, as a conservative radio talk show host, I played a role in that conditioning by hammering the mainstream media for its bias and double standards. But the price turned out to be far higher than I imagined. The cumulative effect of the attacks was to delegitimize those outlets and essentially destroy much of the right’s immunity to false information. We thought we were creating a savvier, more skeptical audience. Instead, we opened the door for President Trump, who found an audience that could be easily misled.
NYT
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:08 am
Seems, some more "so-called" judges didn't agree with Trump's opionion of the "so-called" Constitution:
Quote:
The US appeals court has denied the justice department’s request for an immediate reinstatement of Donald Trump’s controversial travel ban.

The ninth US circuit court of appeals in San Francisco made the ruling early on Sunday morning, and asked those challenging the ban to respond to the appeal filed by the Trump administration late on Saturday night, and the justice department to file a counter-response by Monday afternoon.

“Appellants’ request for an immediate administrative stay pending full consideration of the emergency motion for a stay pending appeal is denied,” the ruling said.
Source

United States Courts for the Ninth Circuit: State of Washington & State of Minnesota v. Trump
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:09 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
oralloy wrote:

But he seems to be having trouble mustering up the same commitment to the
1st
4th
5th
9th
10th
14th
15th
17th
24th
and 26th

I perceive no violations of those or any other parts of the Constitution by Mr. Trump.

The Democrats' eradication of the Second Amendment on the other hand was ongoing and about to reach a critical stage.
oralloy

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:10 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
oralloy wrote:

You mean a President who respects the way the amendment is currently interpreted.

No. I mean the Second Amendment.

This Democratic technique of pretending that the Constitution really means the opposite of what it says is just another way of violating the Constitution.
blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:22 am
From the NYT piece noted above:
Quote:
The Russian dissident and chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov drew upon long familiarity with that process when he tweeted: “The point of modern propaganda isn’t only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.”

This is a point made by Jay Rosen in the talk he delivered recently that I linked yesterday. And as Rosen and Kasparov (and others) have noted, this is a feature of authoritarian regimes and it is easy enough to understand how such engendered confusion is necessary in order to inhibit organized movements that might effectively challenge them.
MontereyJack

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:28 am
@oralloy,
What the constitution CLEARLY says is that the 2nd amendment refers to arms for militias, not a general right. That you think differently is of no bearing. It' an opinion, not a fact, and is subject to change, as SCOTUS did when they reinterpreted it, going against 200 years of judicial OPINION in Heller, which is also OPINION, NOT FACT, made by conservative activist judges and is dependent on the makeup of the court.
blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:30 am
One thing that has happened over the last half year or so as a consequence of the Trump phenomenon (media coverage centered on him) is the relative absence of coverage of the Koch brothers operations. That's unfortunate because though they are less visible, they are working to ensure they get what they have long wanted:
Quote:
The document carried the title “A Roadmap to Repeal,” a concise list of Obama administration environmental regulations that a Koch brothers-backed group was pressing President Trump and Congress to quickly reverse after Inauguration Day.

It was a tally of rules that energy industry executives and lobbyists had waged a futile fight against for eight years, donating millions of dollars to lawmakers who vowed to help block them, filing lawsuits to try to overturn them and hiring experts to generate reports that questioned the need for them.

But in a flurry of activity this past week, Congress did what Charles G. and David H. Koch — who own a conglomerate that sells hundreds of products, including gasoline, jet fuel and coal — and other industry leaders had been asking for.

Using a rarely invoked law, the Republican-controlled Congress nullified a measure intended to curb the venting of gas wells on federal lands, and began the process of rolling back other regulations, including one enacted to limit damage that coal mines cause to streams — each items on the “Roadmap to Repeal.”

On Friday, with his own executive orders, Mr. Trump took up two more items on the list, including a call to rewrite major provisions of the Dodd-Frank Act, legislation crafted by the Obama administration and passed by Congress in response to the 2008 financial meltdown.
NYT
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:36 am
Look at this (from link above)
Quote:
But the energy industry spends about $300 million a year lobbying Congress, deploying an army of three lobbyists for each member.
oralloy

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:53 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
What the constitution CLEARLY says is that the 2nd amendment refers to arms for militias, not a general right.

Nope. The Second Amendment clearly protects a general right of the people.

MontereyJack wrote:
That you think differently is of no bearing.

That the Democrats hate the Constitution so much is why it was so important for the American people to elect Mr. Trump.

MontereyJack wrote:
It' an opinion, not a fact, and is subject to change,

That the Democrats are so willing to violate the Constitution thusly is why it was so important for the American people to elect Mr. Trump.

MontereyJack wrote:
as SCOTUS did when they reinterpreted it, going against 200 years of judicial OPINION in Heller,

What Heller did was take us a step closer to actually enforcing the Second Amendment as it was intended.

Heller did not go against 200 years of judicial opinion. It is debatable whether they went against any Supreme Court rulings at all.

They certainly went against how Miller was interpreted by the lower courts, but perhaps the lower courts were misinterpreting Miller.

MontereyJack wrote:
which is also OPINION, NOT FACT, made by conservative activist judges

When conservative judges enforce the Constitution, that is not judicial activism.

Judicial activism is when liberal judges pretend that the Constitution means the opposite of what it says.

MontereyJack wrote:
and is dependent on the makeup of the court.

The fact that the Democrats mean to pack the courts with judges who will maliciously allow the Constitution to be violated is exactly why it was so important for the American people to elect Mr. Trump.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 05:33 am
Well, this is just special
Quote:
President Trump, asked by an interviewer on Saturday why he respected President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia even though he is “a killer,” seemed to equate Mr. Putin’s actions with those of the United States.

“You got a lot of killers,” he told the interviewer, Bill O’Reilly of Fox News. “What, you think our country’s so innocent?”
NYT
A new president enters the White House and within 2 -3 weeks defends a Russian autocratic ruler who has ordered the killing of political enemies through implying that the United States is guilty of the same sort of crimes.

And should we expect that his fans and followers will now raise the Stars and Stripes a little higher being so proud that this man is their guy?

Olivier5

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 05:58 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Look at this (from link above)
Quote:
But the energy industry spends about $300 million a year lobbying Congress, deploying an army of three lobbyists for each member.

That's okay though, because democracy ain't in crisis... ;-)
blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 06:01 am
I suppose I ought to reiterate a couple of points made over the last while. Just because we want to get things right and perhaps underline them when we've established we've gotten them right.

First, to support the WH representative and one of the writer's of the Muslim/immigration ban EO, he said (and this is so obviously correct, as we can see in hindsight) that the ban roll-out went perfectly smoothly and he couldn't imagine it being done more competently. So a big check mark on that one.

Second, these first weeks of the Trump administration gives a profound an inarguable validation to the common right wing certainty that if you wish to have stellar levels of competence in a government official, particularly the very highest government official, then you want to choose a man from business. A business man will have exactly the right skill set, knowledge and motivations to do Presidenting better than anyone else.

Huge check mark on that one too. Huge. Huge competence.
blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 06:02 am
@Olivier5,
Please don't wink at me when I'm naked.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 06:18 am
No surprise that right wing politicos are moving to institute laws/penalties that function to bully and suppress protest. It is what authoritarians do.

Quote:
Lee Rowland, a senior staff attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union specializing in First Amendment issues, said she had seen occasional attempts to crack down on protests over the years.

“But I’ve never seen a coordinated attack on protesters’ rights anywhere near this scale,” Rowland said. “What all of these bills have in common is they may be dressed up as being about obstruction or public safety, but make no mistake about it: These are about suppressing protests with draconian penalties so that the average person would think twice before getting out on the street and making their voice heard.”
WP
That said, there are protest strategies and behaviors which are counter-productive to the aims of protest because they encourage and validate authoritarian messaging. Which is why, historically, agent provocateurs frequently insert themselves in extremist protest groups (or benign groups) to encourage or originate criminal acts.

If the protests we are seeing so pervasively now continue, then I do hope that the groups involved spend serious energy policing the behavior of members.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 06:39 am
@blatham,
The great achievement of the United States in the decades following the Second World War was the establishment of a global order: a set of norms, rules, and institutions, for which the leadership power of America made itself felt.
And that's done now every day, on twitter and per decrees.

http://i63.tinypic.com/263y4aa.jpg
blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 06:41 am
I lost family members in Bowling Green. I will not forget.