monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 06:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
These have been great strides forward, walter, culminating now in perhaps the greatest leader the world has ever known working so hard every day, so hard, every day, to better not just his own amazing nation but the whole world of lesser nations as well. When people now speak of Lincoln or Pericles or Churchill or even Jesus, they must make accounting for a new name, a new level of greatness in leadership.
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 06:48 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
This Democratic technique of pretending that the Constitution really means the opposite of what it says is just another way of violating the Constitution.

The "Democratic technique" is inconsequential;it has no legal standing. I'm just pointing out that it is the Supreme Court that interprets the meaning of the document and the 5-4 decisions which support widening gun ownership and minimizing government oversight could easily turn into 5-4 decisions which go against the NRA and emphasize 'well regulated militia' and "security of a free state'. The 2nd Amendment only means what the current Supreme Court says it means.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 06:54 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
I lost family members in Bowling Green. I will not forget.
In this moment of silence, let us remember all the thousands women and men (and not only Bernie's family members) who gave their lives to the USA during the terrible Bowling Green Massacre.
blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 07:01 am
Long time columnist Roger Simon is retiring. You will want to read his final piece at Politico.
Quote:
We live at a pivotal time because Donald Trump and his thugs have done us a favor. They have shown us that democracy is not inevitable. They have shown us it can fail.

In just a matter of days, they have shown us how democracy can be transformed into something evil. And we can imagine a future of jackboots crashing through our doors at 2 a.m., trucks in the streets to take people to the internment camps, bright lights and barking dogs — and worse.
More Here
blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 07:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Witnesses, those who can bear to talk of it, recount how the blood flowed downhill so thick and deep that houses were lifted off their foundations and trains were derailed and carried into another state.

Bowling Green is the only massacre that was visible from space.

These are facts.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 07:34 am
@blatham,
PERIOD.
lmur

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 07:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It wasn't a bloody massacre for nothing.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 07:40 am
YOU ALL MUST WATCH THIS
http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2017/02/melissa-mccarthy-just-played-sean-spicer-snl-and-it-was-simply-glorious
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 08:02 am
For all you fact-pussies out there - I'll give you a fact. Nobody, no leader EVER has been this smart! That's your goddamn fact right in your goddamned face. And no followers EVER have been this smart too.

Fact. Now eat it.

Quote:
Brian Beutler Retweeted
Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 22h22 hours ago
Obscure websites published a fake story that Kuwait was copying Trump's ban. The president Facebooked it, got 67,000 shares.
0 Replies

revelette1

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 08:07 am
@blatham,
Quote:
President Trump, asked by an interviewer on Saturday why he respected President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia even though he is “a killer,” seemed to equate Mr. Putin’s actions with those of the United States.

“You got a lot of killers,” he told the interviewer, Bill O’Reilly of Fox News. “What, you think our country’s so innocent?”

Did Trump practically say that US presidents murder political opponents'? My god.
hightor

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 09:31 am
@oralloy,
Sorry to spread out my response over two replies...

Quote:

The Republicans hyped up the rubes with propaganda nonsense so that the rubes would pressure the Democrats into giving in...

I find this interesting. Are you saying that the lawmakers who were spreading alarm about the danger posed by terrorists in maximum security prisons didn't really believe this themselves? And instead of attempting to convince their constituents that the United States of America could maintain public safety they instead appealed to popular fear and attempted to foment a general sense of dread by repeating propaganda? How admirable — treat the electorate like the ignorant fearful louts they really are.

Sort of like telling these same "rubes", over and over again, that the Democrats are coming to take your guns, right.
oralloy

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 09:59 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
The "Democratic technique" is inconsequential;it has no legal standing.

On the contrary. The Democrats were just about to enact a large-scale violation of the Second Amendment using this technique.

hightor wrote:
I'm just pointing out that it is the Supreme Court that interprets the meaning of the document and the 5-4 decisions which support widening gun ownership and minimizing government oversight could easily turn into 5-4 decisions which go against the NRA and emphasize 'well regulated militia' and "security of a free state'. The 2nd Amendment only means what the current Supreme Court says it means.

This Democratic notion that it is OK to appoint judges who will ignore the meaning of the Constitution and say instead that the Constitution means whatever they want it to mean, is exactly why it was so important for the American people to elect Mr. Trump.

The Constitution is not supposed to mean whatever judges appointed by Democrats say it means. It has its own established meaning, and judges are supposed to adhere to what it actually means.
oralloy

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 10:00 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
I find this interesting. Are you saying that the lawmakers who were spreading alarm about the danger posed by terrorists in maximum security prisons didn't really believe this themselves?

Well since they were battlefield combatants we wouldn't want to intermix them with a civilian prison population. But yes, we could indeed have dedicated a prison on US soil to hold them safely had we wanted to spend money on such a thing.

hightor wrote:
And instead of attempting to convince their constituents that the United States of America could maintain public safety they instead appealed to popular fear and attempted to foment a general sense of dread by repeating propaganda?

Well, it prevented the Democrats from closing Guantanamo, and that was the goal.

hightor wrote:
How admirable — treat the electorate like the ignorant fearful louts they really are.

Stupid people are manipulated by smart people. That's just the way the world works. I confess that I have moral qualms against manipulating stupid people myself. But I can see clearly that that's the way it works. And it would be beyond my ability to change the system even if I felt like bothering to try.

hightor wrote:
Sort of like telling these same "rubes", over and over again, that the Democrats are coming to take your guns, right.

No. The Democrats factually are devoted to the widespread violation of the Second Amendment.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 10:21 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I perceive no violations of those or any other parts of the Constitution by Mr. Trump.
Ill start with the First Amendment. (Not focusing on the religious school issues but the overall"Free expression clause" and the "establishment clause" which sort-of Set out the "rules" by which religion may be practiced in this country and how religion and government are to be separate, as envisioned by the framers.

In essence there is guaranteed a freedom of and FROM religion within the US, as well as"There shall be " no FAVORED religions "established" by the state.

TRUMP in his campaign and in one recent post- inauguration tweet, said that he will bring back prayer in public schools. That would be in-violation of all Supreme Court(1st amendment) Decisions in the mid 20th to early 21st centuries which state, that there is no "Favored religion" and must be none under fed judges and Supreme Curt rulings.
So hed be in direct violation of those Supreme Court decisions. (Unless, of course, like his knowledge of the life of Frederick Douglas, he just don' know ****" about history and how our constitution works.
revelette1

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 11:06 am
No doubt if Pence was president he would more effectively push through ultra conservative policies, but at least, he has some basic sense of the laws in the land; unlike some in Trump's administration who are saying the judge had no right to stay the ban on Muslims.

Pence: Judge 'certainly' has right to halt travel ban
cicerone imposter

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 11:26 am
@farmerman,
Everything Trump does is contrary to our Constitution. That's the reason why he should be impeached. He's talking about bringing prayer back into public school. He's an ignoramus.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 11:44 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
Did Trump practically say that US presidents murder political opponents'? My god.

No, the statement didn't make such a specific equivalence but he is saying that acts committed by the US government are morally equivalent to Putin's acts and thus Putin is off the hook. There's no other way to understand his statement.

And as he's said nothing like this before (that I've ever heard) presents the possibility that he got this idea (of US government actions) either from someone around him (Flynn, Bannon, Mattis) or from a secret intel briefing.

In either case, his fragility and need to avoid narcissistic injury extends to the point where he'll even slander his own country in such an abnormal manner to defend against criticisms of himself.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 12:03 pm
@blatham,
Thank you for your Trump impersonations. There are funnier than most, and that says a lot. You got much competition right now. Late shows and stand up comics the world over are sizing on the character. This guy is making an entire planet laugh. Great comic material. Let's hope we keep laughing...

The latest from Europe is this below from the Netherlands, soon viral and imitated by a slew of other countries. It's fantastic (and in English for the most part):

https://youtu.be/ELD2AwFN9Nc

You should try and sell yours to SNL or someone else. A world of stand up and TV comics are waiting for their next lines, and as I said yours tend to be really good.
giujohn

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 12:39 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

What the constitution CLEARLY says is that the 2nd amendment refers to arms for militias, not a general right. That you think differently is of no bearing. It' an opinion, not a fact, and is subject to change, as SCOTUS did when they reinterpreted it, going against 200 years of judicial OPINION in Heller, which is also OPINION, NOT FACT, made by conservative activist judges and is dependent on the makeup of the court.

You have absolutely no clue as to the usage or meaning of 18th century terminology. You certainly don't understand the framers intent. You obviously have never read the Federalist Papers.

Yet you propose to lecture others who are clearly more informed that you. You, who are patently and woefully ill-informed.

So let me ask you...Why in a catalog of individual rights that is the first ten amendments written by men who were Very wary of a central government who just went through an ARMED rebellion, why oh why would they give the right to keep and bear arms to only to a government entity??

Critical thinking does not seem to be your forte.

As a practical exercise tell us what the term regulated as used in the 2nd amendment means in 18th century speak.
giujohn

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 12:53 pm
This boys and girls in an indictment of are liberally controlled education system...

More worried about safe spaces, crayons, and hot cocoa.
0 Replies