coldjoint

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 07:41 am
Quote:
Al Jazeera: The Terrorist Propaganda Network

Quote:
Muslim Brotherhood Shapes Al Jazeera Narrative
Alleged al-Qaida Members on Al Jazeera's Staff
Al Jazeera Incites Terrorism

Hardly a go to source, unless you hate the West.
https://www.investigativeproject.org/6478/al-jazeera-the-terrorist-propaganda-network
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 07:50 am
Quote:
The Problem with Al Jazeera

"Few Americans realize how faithfully the channel has parroted the propaganda of terrorist groups."

Self hatred might be a good reason to use this site for news, I can't think of another right now, unless promoting guilt and self hatred in others is also a reason. More than likely it is, misery loves company.
https://nationalinterest.org/feature/the-problem-al-jazeera-11239
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 08:40 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
"Editorial positions would need to change for their views to change, and the direction needs to come from Rupert or Lachlan Murdoch themselves," Forde concluded. "They would need to see that they're losing readers, advertisers or shareholders as a result of their current views for there to be a shift."
That is their weak spot. Money.
coldjoint

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 08:45 am
@blatham,
Quote:
That is their weak spot. Money.

How does that make them different from anyone else?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 08:45 am
@blatham,
Always has been which is why Liverpool boycotts The Sun.

Quote:
Many, if not most, visitors arrive into Liverpool by train. As you exit Liverpool Lime Street, like most stations, you come face to face with a long line of taxis, eager to capitalise on weary and confused travellers. But, unlike most stations, nearly every taxi has the words “Do not buy The Sun” emblazoned on the side in place of an advert or the company’s phone number.

The taxi has taken you to wherever you want to be in Liverpool. Perhaps that’s the Tate at the Royal Albert Dock, one of the cathedrals that can be seen from all over the city like overbearing parents, or perhaps you want to go to Anfield, home of Liverpool Football Club.

One thing in common with all these places, and in fact everywhere in Liverpool, is that you won’t see anyone buying, selling, or reading The Sun. Even major supermarkets such as Tesco have stopped selling the newspaper in the area citing “no demand”.

https://theovertake.com/~protest/liverpool-vs-the-sun/
blatham

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 09:05 am
Quote:
Fox News’ evening shows avoid live coverage of Trump’s Senate impeachment trial
Fox has aired nearly 11 fewer hours of the trial than CNN and MSNBC
MM

https://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/styles/scale_w1024/s3/static/D8Image/2020/01/24/cables-impeachment-data-fnl.png?itok=0Twb10n4

As noted earlier, Fox has been actively discouraging viewers from watching the proceedings - "It's boring" is one line being used. Why?

That's simply because the Fox operation does NOT want viewers attending to information which hasn't been pre-laundered and censored by Fox. Keeping their audience siloed and isolated from other information sources is the mechanism which leads to the consequence of almost all right wing voices here thinking and talking with the same voice, the same phrases, the same cliches, the same certainties and the same lack of curiosity.
blatham

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 09:07 am
@izzythepush,
I did not know that! Brilliant.
izzythepush

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 09:09 am
@blatham,
It's been going on ever since Hillsborough where The Sun printed lies about Liverpool fans urinating on the dead and dying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster
blatham

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 09:28 am
@izzythepush,
I had known of the disaster, of course, but none of these details on how Murdoch's paper had behaved. I am not surprised in the least. Everything Murdoch touches becomes vile.
0 Replies

revelette3

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 09:49 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
t's bigger than that, they don't think the same way. It's not so much about nation states as Western Imperialism. As far as they're concerned America was involved in the Crusades. You never got a clean sheet from the Arab World when you declared independence.

America is responsible for the Crusades, and the actions of the British and French Empires in the last couple of centuries. From their point of view the only thing that's changed are the accents.

That's the mindset you're dealing with.

Maybe that it is true with the older generation, but surely with better technology and more self-awareness among the younger generation who have more education, they would know America wasn't even thought of then.

Personally, I kind of doubt anyone old or new generation believes America was involved in the crusades. I don't think they have to go digging for impossible conspiracy theories. We have done enough on our own.

Forgive me, but the whole post seems a little condescending and a bit racist against the Arab world.
revelette3

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 10:07 am
@revelette3,
After coming back and re-reading my post, with your post included in it. I finally see what you are saying. So my apologies. I was wrong. You were saying, to the ME America is still all the places they came from before becoming a new country. Most of those countries were part of the crusades. I can see that. A little slow this morning perhaps. More than likely I just skimmed it, without really understanding what I was reading. I don't know what happened.
McGentrix

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 10:47 am
@blatham,
Some nice propaganda ya got there.

FoxNews TV channel is #1 in the ratings for so long now that they probably feel that their audience wants that stuff. It's why they stay #1.

CNN and MSNBC really have nothing else to show.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 10:48 am

Quote:
Lindsey Graham
@LindseyGrahamSC
· May 3, 2016
If we nominate Trump, we will get destroyed.......and we will deserve it.

Yes and yes.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 10:52 am
Quote:
Justin Baragona
@justinbaragona
· Jan 24
Jake Tapper: You think Trump is actually concerned about corruption?

GOP Sen. James Lankford: Yes, I do.

Tapper: Can you provide me any examples of Trump expressing concern about corruption?

Lankford: You're trying to put me on the spot!

As WP columnist Catherine Rampell points out, one week ago a Trump aide said that the WH was looking into weakening the law that prohibits bribery around the world.
McGentrix

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 11:05 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

WP columnist

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Drunk
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 11:32 am
@revelette3,
If you look at a map of the Middle East and North Africa you'll see an awful lot of straight lines compared to a map of Europe. That's because nations didn't develop naturally along ethnic lines like in Europe, they were carved out by Empire with no regard for population. That's why the Kurds are essentially stateless despite occupying quite a chunk of the ME.

And the Kurds are just a tiny part of the consequences of such a carving up, Iraq being a prime example. Shia majority ruled by a Sunni minority headed by Saddam, once toppled the Shia, pro Iran, majority want America out.

And the Sunnis aren't as trusting after they saw what happened to Saddam.
hightor

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 11:55 am
@blatham,
Quote:
...the WH was looking into weakening the law that prohibits bribery around the world.

Yes — Trump floated that idea back in '17.

Quote:
President Donald Trump wanted to strike down a law that prohibits companies from bribing foreign officials, calling the ban "so unfair" to American companies, two Washington Post reporters recount in a new book.

In the spring of 2017, Mr Trump was at a briefing with Mr Rex Tillerson, then the secretary of state, and aides in the Oval Office. At the mention of a bribery allegation, Mr Trump "perked up" and told Mr Tillerson that he wanted his help in scrapping the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the authors write.

That law, enacted in 1977 and heavily enforced since around 2005, prohibits companies that operate in the United States from bribing foreign officials to obtain or retain business. It has become a major factor in corporate decision-making about operations abroad.

Mr Trump said that it was "just so unfair that American companies aren't allowed to pay bribes to get business overseas", according to the book, A Very Stable Genius, by Mr Philip Rucker and Ms Carol Leonnig.

"I need you to get rid of that law," Mr Trump told Mr Tillerson.

Mr Tillerson explained to the president that he could not simply repeal the legislation, according to Mr Rucker and Ms Leonnig. He pointed out that Congress would need to be involved in any effort to strike it down.

Undeterred, Mr Trump told Mr Stephen Miller, a senior policy adviser, to draft an executive action to repeal the law. Mr Tillerson, the authors write, later caught up with Mr Miller in the hallway, where Mr Miller said he had some scepticism about whether that plan for unilateral executive action could work.

The Securities and Exchange Commission and Justice Department began enforcing the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act more concertedly about 15 years ago. It has led to huge fines for companies, including engineering conglomerate Siemens and Brazil's state-owned energy company, Petrobras.

Sceptics of the law have included Mr Jay Clayton, the chairman of the SEC, whom Mr Trump nominated to the position in early 2017. Clayton was an author of a 2011 paper that argued that America's anti-bribery policies tended to hurt American competitiveness.

Despite such criticisms, top administration officials have pledged to uphold the law.

"We will continue to strongly enforce" anti-corruption laws, Mr Jeff Sessions, the attorney general at the time, said in a speech in April 2017.

And under the current attorney general, Mr William Barr, enforcement actions have continued to roll in.

straitstimes

Yes, this is an administration which is really concerned about corruption — concerned that we're not actively corrupting other governments so we can land those great business deals.
blatham

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 12:18 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
"I need you to get rid of that law," Mr Trump told Mr Tillerson.
Right. Thanks for digging that up.

One can easily understand Trump's affinity for corrupt practices as that's the sort of world he emerged from in NY. It's a world in which he has thrived. That is his ethos. By both context and character, he's a sociopath.
coldjoint

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 12:21 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Fox operation does NOT want viewers attending to information which hasn't been pre-laundered and censored by Fox.

And that makes them different than MSNBC or CNN?
revelette3

Sat 25 Jan, 2020 12:27 pm
@izzythepush,
Well, I will never quite understand the whole ME, but thanks for pointing that out about the Kurds being carved up into different countries with no state of their own. But, not to further expose my ignorance (is such a thing possible?) but what Empire exactly?

Well, the 2003 invasion was unjustified. No two ways about it. But to hold Saddam Hussien as some kind of a legitimate reason to not trust the Americans, I don't know. Aren't some of the Sunnis mostly part of IS?

I am not sure all the Shi or the Kurds want Americans out. Many of the protestors do after the killing of the Iran general. (forgot his name for a moment) But I doubt the leaders and those who think beyond emotion want all the Americans out, or else they may be held under oppression by the Sunni's again like they were under Saddam Hussien. They probably desire help with IS, but not the interference in their sovereignty. They should be able to get both. IMO Don't the protestors want the influence of Iran out of Iraq because they are not happy with their government?