monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Tue 21 Jan, 2020 10:30 am
Voices From The Right, episode 666
Quote:
With the impeachment trial of President Trump beginning in earnest, right-wing populism has come full circle. Trump was elected on the theory that American politics had become corrupt and broken. Now he is calling upon his party and his followers to normalize corruption and brokenness as essential features of our political order. It is a bold maneuver by a skilled demagogue. Trump has cultivated disrespect for politics as a dirty business and now seeks to benefit from dramatically lowered public standards.

The question at stake in the Senate trial is plain: Is the use of public funds as leverage to gain private, political benefits from a foreign government an impeachable abuse of presidential power? The matter is so simple that Trump’s Republican defenders are reduced to babbling incoherence in trying to avoid it. When asked whether Trump’s solicitation of foreign interference in the 2020 presidential election was proper, Sen. Richard C. Shelby (R-Ala.) responded, “Well, those are just statements, political. They make them all the time. . . . People do things. Things happen.”

“Things happen.” This is a revealingly ludicrous response to a charge of public corruption. No, trying to cheat in a presidential election is not like losing your keys or getting caught in the rain without your umbrella. Those are the kinds of “things” that just happen. The evidence that Trump cut off military aid to a friendly government in the middle of an armed conflict to compel that government to announce the investigation of a political rival is overwhelming. Several administration officials found this action so unethical, dangerous and disturbing that they expressed their alarm to relevant authorities. Those who dismiss such accusations as a political vendetta or a coup attempt are engaged in willful deception...
Michael Gerson
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 21 Jan, 2020 11:40 am
Quote:
Greg Sargent
@ThePlumLineGS
New CNN poll:

51% of Americans say Trump should be *removed.* Only 45% say he shouldn't

69% say Senate trial should feature new witnesses

58% say Trump abused his power

57% say he obstructed House impeachment inquiry

So, no, his lies aren't "working"

https://cnn.com/2020/01/20/politics/cnn-poll-trump-impeachment/index.html
coldjoint

Tue 21 Jan, 2020 11:50 am
@blatham,
Quote:
New CNN poll:

Nothing unexpected in that poll. Low information voters who do not understand our justice system and believe the MSM. And if anyone can find those people it is CNN.
0 Replies

snood

Tue 21 Jan, 2020 11:52 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Why do you keep posting this stupid false stuff?

Because he’s not sharp enough to post the smart false stuff? Just spitballing.
coldjoint

Tue 21 Jan, 2020 11:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
You are a shining example.

When have I been violent? That would be quite a trick on the internet. Also calling out propaganda passing for truth is not intolerance, it is a necessary reality.
0 Replies

revelette3

Tue 21 Jan, 2020 12:06 pm
@blatham,
Well He won't be removed, the fix is in, and Mitch don't care how it looks. We well know a certain position on Vox, regardless Rolling Eyes the following is a very good article explaining Mitch McConnell. Take it as it as is, or don't as the case may be.

Quote:
The nihilism of Mitch McConnell

A Senate impeachment trial should be a solemn affair. It won’t be with McConnell at the helm.

As President Trump’s impeachment trial kicks off in the Senate on Tuesday, you’re going to hear a lot about Mitch McConnell, the Republican majority leader from Kentucky.

With the full support of his caucus, McConnell has a ton of control over how the process will unfold, and he’s likely to influence the course of the trial as much as anyone.

And if you don’t know anything else about McConnell, know this: He’s arguably the most ruthless political operator in American politics and has almost single-handedly broken the Senate. All of this matters because, in theory, a Senate impeachment trial is a solemn affair. After all, it’s 100 senators deciding whether the president should be removed from office — something that has not been done before.

McConnell has reportedly said in private that he wants a short trial with no witnesses called to testify, and he’s said publicly that the outcome of the trial is basically already determined. Given what we know about McConnell, this isn’t surprising.

As McConnell strides onto center stage, it’s worth pausing to reflect on his philosophy and the role he’s likely to play. So I contacted Alec MacGillis, author of The Cynic: The Political Education of Mitch McConnell. MacGillis knows McConnell as well as anyone, and I asked him to explain McConnell’s approach to politics and his broader impact on the Senate and potentially on the upcoming impeachment trial.

A lightly edited transcript of our conversation follows.

Sean Illing

What do you think is the most important thing people should know about McConnell?

Alec MacGillis

That he really exemplifies more than anyone else in Washington the permanent campaign mindset, where everything is about winning the next election and nothing else matters. For McConnell, it’s not really about what he does while he’s in power to address problems or purse his party’s policy goals, whatever they might be. It’s really only about setting himself up to win the next race, the next election.

That’s the only game he’s playing.

Sean Illing

Has he always been that way?

Alec MacGillis?

Yes, going all the way back to when he was a teenager in high school desperate to win the student elections. He’s always seen politics as a sport to conquer. He sort of embodies this uniquely American character that delights in politics as sport. That’s not necessarily a bad thing — it’s an American tradition in a weird way.

But if the desperation to win carries you in the wrong direction, if it overwhelms everything else, as it has with McConnell, then it becomes something else.

Sean Illing

Does McConnell have an ideological core?

Alec MacGillis

I found it really hard to discern any ideological core as I was doing the book.

It was remarkable to discover just how superficially moderate and even liberal a Republican he was when he was starting out in the ’60s and ’70s. Mitch was outspoken for civil rights when he first ran for office in Louisville for the county executive job there. He was pro-union, pro-environment, and pro-abortion rights. But then that all started to shift very suddenly once he got in the Senate.

In 1984, he won his first race for the US Senate, but barely won it. He won by only 5,000 votes in the year that Ronald Reagan won in Kentucky by almost 300,000 votes. He sort of rode the coattails of Reagan. And the lesson he took from that was that he was going to have to win reelection in years to come and climb in this new Republican Party. He was going to have to shift sharply to the right to catch up with where the Republican Party was heading.

Sean Illing

How would you characterize McConnell’s broader impact on the Senate?

Alec MacGillis

Oh, it’s been enormous. He’s undermined the institution in so many ways. There was this idea of the Senate as having a higher purpose and more collegiality than the House, and he’s just completely blown that up. He had help, of course, but he’s played such an essential role.

And what’s remarkable about it is that he has managed to do that, to undermine the institution, while at the same time continuing to be upheld as a great institutionalist by many pundits in Washington simply because he has a grasp on the fine points and all the rules of the Senate.

Sure, he understands the institution very well, there’s no debate about that.
But he’s done grave damage to it with a degree of partisanship and obstructionism that is genuinely rare.

Sean Illing

What do you think his first priority will be in the upcoming Senate impeachment trial?

Alec MacGillis

It’s pretty clear that his goal is to shut it down and get it over with as fast as possible, even if that means completely breaking from the way that we’ve done trials in the past. He’s been totally brazen about his collaboration with the defendant, with the White House. And my guess is that he’ll once again be hailed as a great tactician for having pulled this off.

But calling him a brilliant strategist, or pretending that he’s more clever than his counterparts on the other side, overlooks the fact that it’s easy to win if you’re willing to blow up the rules, if you don’t care about the institution you serve.

There was nothing “brilliant” about his decision to block President Obama’s Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland. He just didn’t care about the rules or the norms that govern the Senate.

Sean Illing

Is there anything Democrats could appeal to get to him to break his allegiance, or is it just partisan warfare all the way down?

Alec MacGillis

The only thing that would lead Mitch McConnell to hold a serious impeachment trial would be the belief that it was better for him and his party to do so. If he thought it was better for the GOP to have [Vice President] Pence replace Trump, he’d do it. If he made that calculation, he’d have no compunction about holding a legitimate trial. I honestly don’t think there’s any other reason he’d do it.

Sean Illing

So he’s a nihilist with respect to everything except winning?

Alec MacGillis

That’s a perfect way to put it.

Sean Illing

Are you surprised at all by how McConnell has navigated the Trump presidency so far?

Alec MacGillis

I’ve thought a lot about how he brought us Trump and all the different ways that he’s contributed to the climate that made Trump’s election possible. But in terms of how he’s managed Trump’s presidency, I would’ve expected to see him try harder to preserve his party in the post-Trump world and maybe maintain enough distance from Trump to reduce the reckoning that seems likely to follow when Trump’s gone. But he’s made a very different calculation.

Sean Illing

Do you have any sense of how McConnell actually feels about Trump? Is there a genuine relationship there or is it a purely transactional relationship?

Alec MacGillis

There have been a few moments in the last few years where you’ve seen glimmers of discomfort from McConnell — but nothing that even rose to the level of Paul Ryan’s criticisms of Trump. There were at least flashes of real disapproval from Ryan. But that’s partly because Ryan, far more than McConnell, actually does believe in things, apart from winning. I’m just not sure that’s true of McConnell.

Sean Illing

Can you imagine McConnell, under any circumstances, taking a stand against Trump if there was even the slightest risk of party disunity?

Alec MacGillis

Well, we haven’t seen it yet. And there have been so many opportunities to take a principled stand. It’s just hard to imagine McConnell ever rising to the moment in that way. I just don’t see it.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/1/21/21063824/impeachment-trial-senate-mitch-mcconnell

If Alex MacGillis disagrees with the editing, I am assume there is a way to address that. As it is, it is what it is. It pretty lines up with most already think about Mitch McConnell. I despise that man more than Trump. He has installed more very conservative across the board since the 70's.

Quote:
However, it doesn’t appear to be entirely factual, notwithstanding Trump’s naming more appeals court judges at this point in his first term than predecessors going back to at least President Jimmy Carter in the late 1970s, according to measurements by the Congressional Research Service and The

Heritage Foundation.

Trump speaks about his record on federal judicial appointments as a whole and doesn’t make a distinction regarding nominees to the circuit courts of appeals versus district courts.

“The fact that he included that subject shows how important the judiciary is to the Republican—and, specifically, to the conservative—base,” said Thomas Jipping, deputy director of the Edwin Meese III Center for Legal and Judicial Studies at The Heritage Foundation, adding:

While he has so far appointed a smaller percentage of the judiciary than most previous presidents at this point, President Trump is on track to appoint more judges than Presidents [Barack] Obama or George W. Bush in their first term. This pace would also result in appointing a higher percentage of the judiciary than the historical average over two terms.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/07/26/fact-check-does-trump-have-the-most-successful-judicial-nomination-record-since-george-washington/

McConnell actions will have way more of a lasting affect in the US than Trump through the courts. No matter who ends up in the WH in the foreseeable future, the republicans got the courts wrapped up so they get to decide on the legalities of any policies voted into law. Burns me up that Bernie busters knew this, yet still decided to vote third party or stay home. I sure won't even though I am thought as of as a "centrist." Never thought of myself that way for sure. I always thought of myself as extremely loyal democrat in favor of the now label, progressive ideas.
coldjoint

Tue 21 Jan, 2020 12:10 pm
@revelette3,
Quote:
Well He won't be removed, the fix is in,

The "fix" is our justice system working properly in the Senate. It is not a fix, it is the rule of law.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 21 Jan, 2020 12:11 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

MontereyJack wrote:

You made me laugh, especially the "spitballing" comment.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Tue 21 Jan, 2020 12:37 pm
https://comicallyincorrect.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/06-senate-trial-li-600-600x429.jpg
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 21 Jan, 2020 12:56 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

You cannot provide any examples of falsehoods in my posts.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 21 Jan, 2020 12:57 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

You cannot provide any examples of falsehoods in my posts either.

My IQ is 170. Yours isn't.
oralloy

Tue 21 Jan, 2020 12:58 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
57% say he obstructed House impeachment inquiry
So, no, his lies aren't "working"

I know that progressives really really hate facts and reality, but facts are not lies.

"Thinking that Congress overstepped its bounds and leaving it to the courts to sort out" is not "obstructing Congress."

https://patcrosscartoons.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/the-facts1.jpg
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
coldjoint

Tue 21 Jan, 2020 01:11 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
They were the stupidest most inbred things I've ever seen

I doubt that. The Pakistanis in the UK are inbred and you see plenty of them. They are responsible for 1/3 of all birth defects in the UK. First cousin marriage yields those results.
Quote:
Inbreeding Within the UK’s Pakistani Community; It’s Costing the NHS Billions

Quote:
We also have the following evidence:

Pakistanis are responsible for 20% of birth defects in Sheffield, yet they only make up 4% of the population.
Pakistanis are responsible for 18% of birth defects in Glasgow, yet they only make up 3.8% of the population.
Pakistani birth defects in Birmingham have increased by 43% since 2011.
In Manchester, Derby and Leeds, Pakistanis are responsible for 1 in 10 birth defects.
Birth defects in Luton (where there is a high percentage of Pakistani Muslims) are 63% higher than the national average.

https://www.defendevropa.com/2017/news/inbreeding-pakistani-costing-billions/
McGentrix

Tue 21 Jan, 2020 01:30 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

izzythepush wrote:
They interviewed two of the marchers on the BBC. They were the stupidest most inbred things I've ever seen, completely incapable of answering a question, just repeating mindless mantras.
Just like the slobbering NRA supporters on here, stupid, inbred and full of fear and ****.

Europeans have no experience with freedom and civil liberties. But their ignorance of such things does not mean that people are stupid for valuing them.

Izzy should share that video with the class so we can decide for ourselves. There is no doubt that their are some below average people in America. But, Izzy has never been one to post an honest interpretation of anything outside Dr. Who.

So, please, share your BBC interview.
izzythepush

Tue 21 Jan, 2020 01:31 pm
One of the main principles of Democracy is the right to peaceful protest.

What happened in Virginia was an attack on Democracy, mob rule by armed fascist inbreds intent on murdering anyone who objected to their presence.

You can't peacefully protest against that, the only option is armed resistance and the opposition decided to take the adult path and avoid a bloodbath.
roger

Tue 21 Jan, 2020 01:38 pm
@McGentrix,

McGentrix wrote:

Izzy should share that video with the class so we can decide for ourselves. There is no doubt that their are some below average people in America. But, Izzy has never been one to post an honest interpretation of anything outside Dr. Who.

Actually, half the people in the country are below average. Kind of scary, but that's the nature of averages.
coldjoint

Tue 21 Jan, 2020 01:42 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
What happened in Virginia was an attack on Democracy,

You have no idea what democracy and freedom are about. Your posts show how completely ignorant you are of both. The demonstration in Virginia was peaceful, no one threatened to murder anyone. Your lies are ridiculous, unfounded, and just plain nonsense. Besides the fact your country has turned to **** leads you to lash out at a country far superior to yours.
hightor

Tue 21 Jan, 2020 01:43 pm
@coldjoint,
cj, what's your take on China's policies regarding their Uigher Muslim minority?
coldjoint

Tue 21 Jan, 2020 01:47 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
cj, what's your take on China's policies regarding their Uigher Muslim minority?

That is China's business. I do not think it is right but it fits with their policy of the State coming first above the religion of people or anything else.
0 Replies