monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 03:07 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Good point. What you want most of all in a political figure, particularly in the White House, is someone who stands completely outside of existing norms and standards. You wouldn't believe how much Mafia bosses get done in a week of activity.

Edit: I should add that this notion you advance will certainly appeal to any of the authoritarian leaders presently or previously holding power. The Nazis, famously, got the trains running on time. Constitutional democracies are just so damned inefficient we really ought to do away with them.

The notion that a unitary executive is incompatible with constitutional democracy, or is the equivalent of fascism, is pretty goofy.

I know that progressivism is deranged, but come on now.
0 Replies

lmur

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 03:42 pm
@blatham,
Looking at that first photo, one suspects Mr. Parnas might have an enormous penis.
blatham

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 03:49 pm
@lmur,
The thought hadn't occurred. I beg your permission to forget entirely you wrote this post.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 03:54 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Lev Parnas photos with top GOPers

There are pictures of Farrakhan and top Democrats.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 04:20 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
I thought I read your position to be that if the President/Governor is doing something within his power, the reasoning behind that decision completely doesn't matter. So Blagojevich had the power to appoint a senator. If the reason he appointed person A over person B is that A gave him money for the appointment it doesn't matter because the appointment was his. Likewise, the President controls appointments and US foreign policy and if he takes certain actions because a foreign government pays him to do so it doesn't matter because the decision is his. Did I get that right? Honest question.

Accepting bribes is justification for removing a president from office because "having government decisions made on the basis of who pays the most money to the president" undermines the proper functioning of government.

Absent an offense that undermines the proper functioning of government, there is no justification for removing a president from office.

President Trump suspecting certain Democrats of criminal acts and pressuring to have them investigated (which is what the Ukraine scandal is about) does not impede the proper functioning of government.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 04:26 pm
I just watched Greta Gerwig's Little Women. God damn it is a brilliant piece of work.
coldjoint

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 04:34 pm
https://legalinsurrection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/05-Poisonous-LI-600.jpg
0 Replies

engineer

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 05:03 pm
@blatham,
There's a thread on it here.
coldjoint

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 05:38 pm
Quote:
The GAO Ruled Obama Broke the Law in 2014, But No One Called for His Impeachment

Another this president can and Trump cannot. Which situation effected national security more? Who is negotiating for the Taliban?
https://pjmedia.com/trending/the-gao-ruled-obama-broke-the-law-but-no-one-called-for-his-impeachment/
blatham

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 05:46 pm
@engineer,
Thank you very kindly
glitterbag

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 08:08 pm
@blatham,
Lev Parnas and his lawyer are both wearing American flag pins....that irritates me for some reason
Builder

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 08:49 pm
@coldjoint,
From your link; this is why the impeachment "trial" is going to slap the Dems upside the head, again and again.

Quote:
On Thursday, The Government Accountability Office (GAO) issued a legal opinion concluding that by withholding aid to Ukraine, the Trump administration broke the law because Congress had appropriated those funds and the executive branch, therefore, did not have the right to place any conditions on that aid being delivered.

Now, let’s forget the fact that Ukrainian officials were unaware there was ever any hold on the aid, or that said aid was actually delivered. The Washington Post claims that the foundation of the GOP’s argument against impeachment was “severely undermined” by the GAO ruling, and the left is foaming at the mouth on social media claiming this proves that Trump committed an impeachable offense and the ruling has justified impeachment.

Except, if a GAO legal opinion justifies impeachment, Obama should have been impeached.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 17 Jan, 2020 02:16 am
President Trump had said that "no Americans were harmed" in the Iranian strike.
Eleven American troops were treated for concussions after Iranian missiles struck two Iraqi bases where the servicemembers were stationed, the military said, contradicting Trump's statements.
snood

Fri 17 Jan, 2020 02:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I’ve seen them described as suffering from traumatic brain injury.
Builder

Fri 17 Jan, 2020 03:38 am
@snood,
As opposed to traumatic death of the American people abandoned by Obama at Benghazi.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Fri 17 Jan, 2020 07:14 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Lev Parnas and his lawyer are both wearing American flag pins....that irritates me for some reason
his lawyer is from NYC... my sister went to high school with him...
0 Replies

revelette3

Fri 17 Jan, 2020 09:22 am
@blatham,
Me and my sister has been wanting to watch it, she has been sick and it wouldn't be the same watching it without her. She was named after one of the women in the first movie. We also watched Judy together, which was really good but sad in my opinion.
revelette3

Fri 17 Jan, 2020 10:37 am
Trump Legal Team to Add Starr and Dershowitz for Senate Trial
blatham

Fri 17 Jan, 2020 10:47 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:

Damn. I didn't even notice that. Interesting PR move.

I'm not a flag guy. If someone takes a dump on the maple leaf, I am quite unbothered. But it dawns on me now that if Trump were to appear one day with a maple leaf pin on his lapel, I'd want junior hockey players from Saskatchewan to disembowel him.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Jan, 2020 10:49 am
@revelette3,
You'll enjoy it, I"m sure. Judy is on my list to watch.
0 Replies