monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

maporsche

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 03:51 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

blatham wrote:

Quote:
We'll see in 8 years...

Yeah, well my mother could kick the crap out of your mother! And do it with one leg tied behind father's back.

She'd better bring a shovel.

I can't tell if this is a "my mother is dead and she'll have to exhume her" comment OR if this is a joke about how your mother is full of so much crap that she'll need a shovel to handle it all.
blatham

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 03:57 pm
@maporsche,
McG was suggesting that our two mothers would set to it like trailer-park ladies. I don't have a problem with that.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 04:39 pm
Yeah, my mother is passed and buried in the ground, Thus the shovel comment. Good to see humanity is still shitty about dead mom's.
blatham

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 04:48 pm
@McGentrix,
Oh, misunderstood. My mom is pushing up blackberries and skunk cabbage too. I thought your mom was going to clobber my mom with a shovel. There ought to be a TV show... Cage Match Grandmas. I think it might catch the tone of the times.
Baldimo

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 04:59 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Sort of like Obamacare right?

Obamacare/ACA is failing all on it's own. The only thing it delivered was a few more people with insurance, 12 million is the current estimate, with another 6-8 million on free insurance and not helping pay for the exchanges. Those are the facts.
layman

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 05:10 pm
@blatham,
The shovel aint for hitting nobody: brass knuckles, knives, and guns take care of that kinda business. The shovel is for burying the stiff, so it don't never get found, that's all.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 06:10 pm
Judge grants nationwide temporary restraining order on immigration ban
ossobucotemp

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 06:27 pm
@revelette1,
Thanks for the catch up, Rev.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 07:11 pm
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:
blatham wrote:
I was thinking this morning

That's pretty funny right there.

Mr. Green
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 07:12 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
This is filled with accuracies. I've seen tweets and videos from Cal Berkeley students talking about their professor's statements and participation in the riots. At least one professor actually said "burn it down" and verbally incited violence against Trump and Milo supporters.

They must be charged.

Any student who was violently assaulted can sue the university for not providing a safe education environment.

Having to pay out a few liability claims will get a university to change its policies quickly enough.
oralloy

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 07:13 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
But the initial cries from Congress (members of both parties) revealed just how cowed and fearful the inhabitants of the "home of the brave" has become. The sissies were afraid to have terrorists housed in their maximum security prisons. SAD!

No one was afraid. It is just that there was no reason to close Guantanamo.

Previous to Obama, the Democrats had lied and created the impression that torture was going on at Guantanamo in order to taint Bush.

The Democrats hoped to avoid having Obama tainted by Guantanamo by closing it and replacing it with an identical facility, so they could pretend that they had "made a change" and all the people who had been fooled into thinking that there was torture at Guantanamo would be fooled into thinking that the imaginary torture had ended.

Congress just wondered why we should spend money to set up an entire identical facility just to rescue the Democrats from being tainted by their own lies.
oralloy

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 07:14 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
As you likely know, a lot of serious audiophiles swear by the sound of vinyl. I've never bothered to set up anything that might test the thesis and the convenience of digital won me over anyway (and I've got very good headphones). Much if not all of The Last Waltz is available on youtube. I frequently dip in for a performance or two.

The problem with common (regular) digital is that it is not high enough resolution to capture the sound wave accurately enough.

While it might be best to play quality records on a million dollar stereo system in your own living room, there are people who make very high resolution digital recordings of records played on million dollar stereo systems.

Those digital recordings are exquisite.
Lash

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 07:18 pm
@oralloy,
I hope the injured students will file charges.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 09:46 pm

GOOD NEWS!

The following article was edited by ME (oralloy) to increase its factual accuracy:

Quote:
Rule to prevent law-abiding citizens from buying guns gets nixed by House
It would have kept those unable to run their own finances from buying firearms.

BETH MOLE - 2/3/2017, 11:25 AM (strongly edited by Oralloy to improve factual accuracy)

The US House voted 235-180 on Thursday in favor of striking down an Obama-era rule intended to keep guns out of the hands of ordinary law-abiding citizens.

The rule would require the Social Security Administration to forward information about any disabled person who does not handle their own finances to the FBI's background check system.

The rule, originally slated to go into effect in December, is estimated to affect 75,000 beneficiaries. Those impacted could appeal through the courts to purchase a firearm, but not before their names were sent to the FBI, The Hill reports.

The National Rifle Association, gun advocates, and civil rights advocates, including the ACLU, argued that the rule would strip Second Amendment rights from beneficiaries without due process. Supporters, meanwhile, said the rule would advance their goal of violating people's civil rights.

"I'm sad and I want to cry," Rep. Elizabeth Esty (D-Conn.) told The Hill. Rep. Esty is a longtime hater of American freedom.

The Guardian notes that the National Council on Disability, a nonpartisan government agency, wrote in a letter last year that: "There is, simply put, no nexus between the inability to manage money and the ability to safely and responsibly own, possess, or use a firearm."

To undo the rule, the House Republicans turned to the Congressional Review Act, which allows lawmakers to overrule regulations they dislike. It can be passed with a simple majority and can't be filibustered in the Senate before it's sent to the President's desk.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2017/02/house-pulls-back-rule-to-keep-guns-from-severely-mentally-ill/
McGentrix

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 09:56 pm
@oralloy,
I think the edited version is far better at conveying the truth.
0 Replies

Blickers

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 11:32 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
The Democrats hoped to avoid having Obama tainted by Guantanamo by closing it and replacing it with an identical facility, so they could pretend that they had "made a change" and all the people who had been fooled into thinking that there was torture at Guantanamo would be fooled into thinking that the imaginary torture had ended.

If you are so sure that torture was not going on at Guantanamo, please tell us why Bush purposely built the prison outside the fifty states where constitutional guarantees against torture would not apply, (or so Bush thought)?

At any rate, under Obama three quarters of the prisoners were released. So if he was unsuccessful in closing it, he hugely reduced the number of prisoners subjected to it.
Blickers

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 11:37 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
The problem with common (regular) digital is that it is not high enough resolution to capture the sound wave accurately enough.

I agree. the absence of record scratches is wonderful, but if you have a good vinyl and a good playback system, the detail of some passages comes alive in the analog system.

Quote oralloy:
Quote:
While it might be best to play quality records on a million dollar stereo system in your own living room, there are people who make very high resolution digital recordings of records played on million dollar stereo systems.

Those digital recordings are exquisite.

Haven't heard any high bit rate digital, but it is bound to be an improvement. Neil Young agrees with you, he has a small personal listening unit that sells for $400 and does high bit rate digital-Neil used to hate digital period. He demanded all his records be recorded in analog.
layman

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 11:40 pm
@revelette1,

This is being reported as a "nationwide" ban, but I don't believe that's accurate (I could be wrong).

This is similar to the case where a gay judge held a California law regarding gay marriage to be "unconstitutional."

Anything that is in fact "unconstitutional" is, of course, prohibited "nationwide."

That said, the mere fact that one judge in one court, in one federal district, finds something to be unconstitutional does NOT create a binding ruling "nationwide." Of course, if the U.S. Supreme Court ultimately upheld the lower court's ruling, THEN (but only then) it would be binding "nationwide."

Until such time, the ruling is only applicable to the district where the court is located (Seattle , Washinton, in this case).
old europe

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 11:49 pm
Quote:
Court Temporarily Blocks Trump’s Travel Ban, and Airlines Are Told to Allow Passengers

A federal judge in Seattle on Friday temporarily blocked President Trump’s week-old immigration order from being enforced nationwide, reopening America’s door to visa holders from seven predominantly Muslim countries and dealing the administration a humbling defeat.

[...]

The federal government was “arguing that we have to protect the U.S. from individuals from these countries, and there’s no support for that,” said the judge, James Robart of Federal District Court for the Western District of Washington, an appointee of President George W. Bush, in a decision delivered from the bench.

[...]

It is not unusual for district courts to issue nationwide injunctions blocking executive actions, and the federal government must obey such injunctions even when other district courts have declined to issue injunctions in similar cases.

Judge Robart temporarily barred the administration from enforcing two parts of Mr. Trump’s order: its 90-day suspension of entry into the United States of people from the seven countries — Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen — and its limits on accepting refugees, including “any action that prioritizes the refugee claims of certain religious minorities.”

[...]

Judge Robart made clear that his order applied nationwide, citing a similar nationwide injunction from a federal district court in Texas that had blocked President Barack Obama’s plan to shield some undocumented immigrants from deportation and allow them to legally work in the United States.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 12:05 am
@old europe,
The Ruling