monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 02:13 pm
@blatham,
I think they might be trying to get around the constitution by denying Islam is religion. Feel like saying "duh" after that.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 02:13 pm
@revelette1,
jesus christ in heaven.
revelette1

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 02:17 pm
@blatham,
Well, why not, Cheney changed the word of torture to "enhanced interrogations" thus getting away with waterboarding and the rest.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 02:37 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Shame maybe?

I thought it pretty cowardly at the time. I mean this is the land where everyone is armed, right? All those guns keeping all those patriots safe from their government are apparently useless when it comes to defending the homeland from bloodthirsty terrorists? Just seemed kind of ironic.
Quote:
Presidents campaign on stuff and then when they get the job, they find out they can't keep their promises. So far Trump has already kept more campaign promises than any President in US history and it's only been 2 weeks.

If all your promises amount to is a commitment (or threat) to withdraw from a treaty, pull out of a negotiated deal, or issue executive orders which reverse previous previous executive orders, well yeah, the president's been able to do a lot of the things he said he would do. But he promised to do those things in order to achieve specific results.

For instance, "I'm going to repeal Obamacare on Day One." Sure, he signs an order...and the congressional Repubs still don't know what they're going to do, they're divided, they're lost. Now they're talking about "repair".

"I'm going to build a wall and Mexico is going to pay for it." He signs a peace of paper but once you get into specifics, well, things don't look that clear — you know, a lot of respected economists have real reservations about slapping a 20% tax on imports. We'll probably have to study this some more...

"And I'm going to ban Muslims." Yeah, not a direct quote, but you get my drift. He promises to stop the arrival of refugees and immigrants. The whole operation turns out to be poorly planned; different departments aren't informed, there was (and still is) lots of confusion, and the worldwide reaction has been extremely negative. I don't mind if he wants to close the border temporarily — I think he has that power — but it could have been thought through; it didn't have to become a manufactured crisis. Why not take some time and accomplish the same goal in an orderly manner, phasing in restrictions with plenty of warning, sorting out people with green cards, showing some effort to act diplomatically and look competent? Why drop a bomb?

Yes, he's kept a few promises, but that's just the visuals, the easy stuff, the low hanging fruit; they're meaningless without results. We'll need to look back in a few years and see what the consequences of Trump's actions have been, whether he achieves his ends, or whether we'd all actually be better off if those promises had remained unfulfilled.
blatham

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 02:48 pm
@ehBeth,
... and speaking such total bullshit that our very stupid base will presume we think the same things they do with particular attention to NOT saying anything which might suggest that those filthy arabs are actually human.
0 Replies

layman

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 02:49 pm
@hightor,
Response moderated under rule 7, which covers hate speech, slurs and epithets, encouraging violence, etc. See more info.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 03:06 pm
Whoa. That ought to keep the glaucoma at bay for a while.
McGentrix

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 03:13 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

This isn't a Trump thing. It wouldn't have mattered who won the nomination, repeal of ACA was THE reigning campaign promise. And pretty much everywhere across the GOP spectrum of office holders, the same held true. Everyone had to run on this promise because of the campaign against it that was waged from the first mention of it. The whole party now is stuck with the dilemma they have because of that campaign.

We'll see in 8 years...
maporsche

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 03:15 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

So far Trump has already kept more campaign promises than any President in US history and it's only been 2 weeks.

How the hell do you measure that? Seems like a BS statement to me.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

@blatham,
Wait a minute, I have glaucoma in one eye and it is looking at you. Is glaucoma the new choice of wording? Not amusing, if slick. Second time I've seen the word today.

Obfuscation is better.

I suppose that is PC of me.
0 Replies

blatham

@McGentrix,
Quote:
We'll see in 8 years...

Yeah, well my mother could kick the crap out of your mother! And do it with one leg tied behind father's back.
maporsche

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 03:16 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Of course when you lie about the facts of the "ban", you can get most people to go against it. If they were honest about what the EO actually said, people would favor it much more.

Sort of like Obamacare right?
layman

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 03:17 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Turns out there is some question on whether Obama approved the raid or not.

Quote:

Mr. Kahl’s colleagues said that Lisa Monaco, Mr. Obama’s homeland security adviser, told the national security staff in early January that Mr. Obama was not prepared to approve the concept for the raid.

Figures, sho nuff. Every agency in the government approved of the raid--except Obama.

What a candyass. Trump got the job DONE.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 03:20 pm
Islam is a death cult religion, their Sharia law is not compatible with the Constitution of the United States.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 03:23 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
We'll see in 8 years...

Yeah, well my mother could kick the crap out of your mother! And do it with one leg tied behind father's back.

She'd better bring a shovel.
layman

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 03:25 pm
I aint got but two words for alla yawl cheese-eaters;

Yo Mama!
0 Replies

layman

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 03:31 pm
Finally someone from the left condemns the perpetrators of the Berkeley riots:

Quote:

Former Clinton Secretary of Labor and Berkeley professor of public policy Robert Reich tells CNN he has heard rumors that "right-wingers" instigated violence at the university on Wednesday night.

Trump did it

He "told" CNN that, so of course they HAVE to air the "rumors heard" by some commie. It just good journalism, see?
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 03:40 pm
Perhaps this should be posted under the "relationships" category but there's really nothing over there but bleak misery.

"Getting women to be attracted to you using the techniques of Russel Brand" - a do-it-yourself instructional video produced by some Russian dude who has posted this helpful video on youtube under the category, "Subcommunication Mastery".

It may be of interest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzugp4D4HJ4
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 03:42 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
She'd better bring a shovel.

Might I borrow yours? I think she'd be better off with a right-handled shovel that's matured in use.
0 Replies

layman

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 03:44 pm
I pity the fool who ever tries to **** with my Mama.

She will go upside your sorry head with a 3/4 full 40-ounce bottle of Cobra in a New York second, I tellya.

She aint playin.
0 Replies