monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Builder

Tue 31 Dec, 2019 08:01 pm
@georgeob1,
To Blatham

Quote:
I often get the impression that your concept of "disciplined discourse" is merely an effort to force your interlocutor to accept your frame of reference and your terms for acceptable arguments in any discussion.

Nailed it in one sentence.
MontereyJack

Tue 31 Dec, 2019 10:37 pm
@Builder,
Which pretty much describes what the ultraconservative posters here try to do as well.
Builder

Tue 31 Dec, 2019 11:22 pm
@MontereyJack,
Hmmm, not sure who you're referring to.

If Barry isn't the epitome of ultraconservative, then who is?
roger

Wed 1 Jan, 2020 02:11 am
@Builder,
Barry?
glitterbag

Wed 1 Jan, 2020 02:22 am
@Builder,
Really????? hahhahahahhaahahhahahahahhaaha......that's authoritarian groupie nonsense. But you get an E for effort.
0 Replies

Builder

Wed 1 Jan, 2020 03:16 am
@roger,
Quote:
Barry?

You're right, I think Blather is a better descriptor.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 1 Jan, 2020 06:44 am
@Builder,
Quote:
I often get the impression that your concept of "disciplined discourse" is merely an effort to force your interlocutor to accept your frame of reference and your terms for acceptable arguments in any discussion.

We call that "Buyin yer Bullshit" here in the swamp.
snood

Wed 1 Jan, 2020 08:18 am
A brief pause to reflect and consider...

An apple is a fruit that has a thin, smooth edible skin that is commonly red, but can be shades of yellow and green. It has edible flesh that is basically white-colored.

Whereas an orange has a thicker, coarser-textured orange-colored skin that is sometimes grated for garnish, but is generally considered not edible. It has edible flesh that is usually orange colored, although there are varieties that are red.

See what I did there? I compared apples to oranges!

Never let them define what’s possible and impossible for you.😃

Happy New Year to all!
(Borrowed this idea from Ronny Chieng)
0 Replies

revelette3

Wed 1 Jan, 2020 10:12 am
It seems the US embassy is hardly guarded, given the relative ease protestors broke through the green zone and attacked the US embassy, it seems the situation is ripe for a hostage situation or worse. Why wasn't this considered when they did the air strikes?

US Embassy in Baghdad Invaded after SecState Pompeo Slashed Security Funding, Took no Preventive Steps in wake of US Airstrikes

Quote:
Here’s another irony: There doesn’t appear to have been any enhanced security for the US Embassy in Baghdad in the wake of the Trump administration bombing of the equivalent of the Iraqi National Guard. I mean, what exactly was Secretary of State Mike Pompeo thinking? That the US can act with absolute impunity several thousand miles away? The US actually controlled Iraq for 8 and a half years in the first decade of this century, and thousands of US troops were killed nevertheless.

In fact, Pompeo and the Trump administration have drastically slashed funding for embassy security, according to The Hill, and in 2018,
“Rep. Gregory Meeks (D-N.Y.) confronted Pompeo during the hearing about the decrease in spending on diplomatic security under the Trump administration.

“Under the Obama Administration, over $3 billion went to diplomatic security, but once President Trump came in, I see it went to down $2.1 billion … and down to $1.6 billion,” Meeks stated.
“So where is the concern now about diplomatic security?” he asked Pompeo.”
0 Replies

revelette3

Wed 1 Jan, 2020 10:22 am
Also on Juan Cole: It seems as if Trump is going to put between two of his strongmen loves in Syria and Libya.

The Great Turko-Russian World War for the Middle East: From Syria’s Idlib to Libya’s Tripoli

Wonder which will prove his strongest desire to please?
BillW

Wed 1 Jan, 2020 10:25 am
@revelette3,
Whichever offers him the best hotel deal.......
coldjoint

Wed 1 Jan, 2020 10:46 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
We call that "Buyin yer Bullshit" here in the swamp.

Builder did not say it, Georgeob1 did.
Fil Albuquerque

Wed 1 Jan, 2020 11:25 am
I like her can someone fill in the gaps Edgar someone?
0 Replies

revelette3

Wed 1 Jan, 2020 11:29 am
@coldjoint,
Which is why Builder bought it, duh.
revelette3

Wed 1 Jan, 2020 11:30 am
@BillW,
Ain't it the truth, between the lot of them, they've been cleaning up profits while we've been obsessing over tweets.
blatham

Wed 1 Jan, 2020 11:37 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
This is a conversation and not an academic exercise.
Hardly an either/or matter, is it? For example, you just wrote:
Quote:
frequent logical flaws in your posts
That is an "academic" standard that you are setting as a guide to how we do discourse here. And you support that standard only because it will make discourse more valuable. Is that not so?

BillW

Wed 1 Jan, 2020 11:37 am
@revelette3,
That has proven to be tRump's only foreign policy. Doesn't matter if embassy personnel die or whatever; as long as the primary objective is attained. His personnel wealth!
coldjoint

Wed 1 Jan, 2020 11:58 am
@revelette3,
Quote:
Which is why Builder bought it, duh.

He did not buy anything. George was spot on. Blatham only accepts things on his terms and anyone who points out he is full of **** is somehow wrong because he( Blatham) says so. You are buying into his intolerance and denying obvious facts. Remember Blathams presence on this thread proves his word means nothing, he is a liar and a divider that stokes hatred.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 1 Jan, 2020 12:00 pm
@BillW,
Quote:
Doesn't matter if embassy personnel die or whatever; as long as the primary objective is attained. His personnel wealth!

How does what happened enrich Trump? Can you back that up with one shred of proof? I'll doubt it, but I'll wait.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 1 Jan, 2020 12:05 pm
@blatham,
You are playing word games. One can readily recognize illogic and efforts to use meaningless or inappropriate analogies in conversation - even without the academic rules you advocate now, but ignore prolifically in your usual attacks on everything Trump or dark, "movement conservative" conspiracies. Indeed you are one of the most prolific users of subjective & illogical propaganda on the site.