monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

MontereyJack

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 05:43 am
@oralloy,
In other words, dems are using the law as it was meant to be used. It's the re[pubs who want to be above the law. as you may have noticed, barr says trump can't be touched as long as he is in office. tha's being above the law. He and his cronies also are the slimiest people this country has ever had in office. It is the law that is our only hope of getting through the slime. Go dems, use our rights wisely and well as you are doing.
Lash

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 05:43 am
@blatham,
What the **** is wrong with you? I responded to the excerpt you quoted.

I think what’s wrong with me is I take this deadly seriously. I’m actually working hard to prevent what’s happening.

You must think it’s a fairy tale to be so complacent.
blatham

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 05:57 am
@Lash,
Quote:
I responded to the excerpt you quoted.
In that quote, Chomsky offers two possibilities ahead. He claims no knowledge as to which is better. His final sentence advises very careful thinking about how to proceed.

Explain what he means in the second to last sentence.

Edit: Sorry, third to last sentence I meant.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 06:06 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
In other words, dems are using the law as it was meant to be used.

No. The law is not meant to be used as a weapon for the Democrats to savage people who disagree with them.

MontereyJack wrote:
It's the repubs who want to be above the law.

It is the Democrats who claim that it is an atrocity for anyone in government to try to investigate their crimes.

No such luck though. The Senate Judiciary Committee is getting ready to investigate the Biden crime family:
http://www.politico.com/news/2019/11/21/graham-ukraine-state-department-biden-072692

Let's hope Biden's son ends up with a long prison sentence by the time this is all over. I'd love to see the look on Biden's face when his son is dragged off to prison.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 06:07 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
No they don't.

Wrong again. History, archaeology, and DNA are all very clear that the original Zionists were and are indigenous to the West Bank.

InfraBlue wrote:
You are wrong about history, archaeology and genetics.

Wrong again. As usual I am completely correct about all three subjects.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 06:08 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
Do you?
If you ain't got any, then don't request it from another.

Asking InfraBlue to back up his claims is perfectly appropriate.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 06:10 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
That's true, too bad frosty and oral aren't curious or educated.

We're both sufficiently educated that you are not capable of pointing out a single fact that we are wrong about.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 06:12 am
@blatham,
I don't think Polychroniou's headline describes Chomsky's statement accurately. It's not "Democratic centrism" which risks handing the election to Trump. It's the split between the two wings of the party and the likelihood of either side not supporting the winner if their side loses which poses the risk. Chomsky, rightly, points to the "radically undemocratic Senate" but I think we all know that this needed reform won't be happening. It's precisely the undemocratic features of the US Constitution, along with "first past the post" elections, that compel moderates and progressives to run on the same ticket because neither side alone has the numbers to beat the unified conservatives in this right-leaning country.
Builder

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 06:18 am
@hightor,
Quote:
because neither side alone has the numbers to beat the unified conservatives in this right-leaning country.

Your post makes many and varied assumptions; foremost being that the conservatives are cohesive and "unified".

Pence and Trump aren't exactly showing as team players.

As for the "first past the post" elections, where does the electoral college come into that equation?

As for "moderates and progressives running on the same ticket", last I checked, it comes down to just D and R on the vital ticket. Yes?
blatham

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 06:20 am
@hightor,
Quote:
I don't think Polychroniou's headline describes Chomsky's statement accurately. It's not "Democratic centrism" which risks handing the election to Trump. It's the split between the two wings of the party and the likelihood of either side not supporting the winner if their side loses which poses the risk.
Precisely. Chomsky makes no claim about which route forward will best serve us in getting rid of Trump. But he does suggest that internecine factions carelessly battling each other could do the necessary damage to thwart this goal we all have.

And that outcome is what Russia and other bad-faith actors are working towards
oralloy

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 06:21 am
@hightor,
I've of course predicted that we're in for at least 20 years of Republican control over the White House.

I also predict that, even after 20 years of Republican control, the voters will not elect a Democratic president again until the Democrats purge all those nutty leftists from their party and get back to being sensible centrists.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 06:23 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
Have any DNA information on Palestinians?

DNA shows that Jews and Palestinians were related during the Bronze Age, but had diverged into separate populations by the time of the Iron Age.
0 Replies

Brand X

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 06:27 am
Michael Tracey

Verified account

@mtracey
9h9 hours ago
More
Yasss queening Fiona Hill, a longtime hawk brought into the Trump Administration for the purpose of quelling concerns that Trump would be insufficiently hawkish, is just beyond parody
Builder

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 06:36 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Chomsky makes no claim about which route forward will best serve us in getting rid of Trump.

Where is the discussion about how Trump even ended up with a nomination, let alone a presidency?
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 06:42 am
If you've read excerpts from Barr's speech at Notre Dame, you'll have some idea of how radical and anti-democratic his theocratic vision actually is. Barr is not an "average" Catholic. He is at the very furthest edges of Catholic nuttiness that demands broad social/political subservience to it's vision.

And he's not alone in his extremist posture as evidenced by the standing ovations he received in that speech. And there's very good reason to understand that others on the Supreme Court stand with him (as did Scalia before he passed). As much as we reflect on and criticize the role of the Evangelical far right in the GOP and American politics, this far right Catholic contingent deserves easily as much attention. These are not stupid, uneducated people. They're dead serious, organized and funded.

I'm presently reviewing a discussion between Chris Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and Daniel Dennet on religion. Highly, highly recommended

0 Replies

hightor

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 06:55 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Your post makes many and varied assumptions; foremost being that the conservatives are cohesive and "unified".

All the polls show that Trump has 80-90% support from his Republican base, and they make up 40-45% of the electorate. That's pretty cohesive. The Republican Party is not facing the sort of schism we see in the Dems. "Never Trumpers" don't amount to a more than few high profile traditional conservatives.
Quote:

Pence and Trump aren't exactly showing as team players.

What's that supposed to mean? Trump doesn't have to be a "team player" and Pence is about as loyal a lackey as you'll find.
Quote:
As for the "first past the post" elections, where does the electoral college come into that equation?

There's no "equation" and the presidential race isn't the only election of consequence. Governors, Senators, Representatives and a host of other offices are filled without recourse to the Electoral College.
Quote:
As for "moderates and progressives running on the same ticket", last I checked, it comes down to just D and R on the vital ticket.

N0. You can have politically "balanced" tickets where a perceived liberal candidate runs with a perceived moderate, a northerner with a southerner, or a hawk with a dove. I didn't word my response as precisely as I might have:

"It's precisely the undemocratic features of the US Constitution, along with "first past the post" elections, that compel moderates and progressives to run in the same political party and sometimes on the same ticket."

I don't have a breakdown of the numbers but if "progressives" make up 40% of the Democratic Party and "moderates" make up another 40% that still leaves out undecided Dems and loads of independents. Neither side can win without some help from the other.
hightor

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 07:01 am
@Brand X,
mtracey wrote:
Yasss queening Fiona Hill, a longtime hawk brought into the Trump Administration for the purpose of quelling concerns that Trump would be insufficiently hawkish, is just beyond parody.

mtracey's fawning treatment of Gabbard is way beyond parody.
Builder

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 07:01 am
@hightor,
Thanks for the filler.

11.01 here. Bed time.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 07:03 am
Quote:
If the Republicans cared about the facts or the gravity of the crime being investigated, the answer would be apocalyptically damaging. But they don’t care, and they will continue to defend Trump even if those testifying under oath include an eyewitness to a criminal conspiracy hatched in the White House like Sondland, or patriots like Fiona Hill, Alexander Vindman, and Marie Yovanovitch, who not only provided irrefutable evidence of the crime but detailed the existential threat that crime poses to America.

Had Trump pulled out that (so far) proverbial gun and shot someone on Fifth Avenue, Republicans would trot out the exact same defense they have this week: The shot was fired at 2 a.m. and there were no eyewitnesses. Those nearby who claimed to have heard the shot had actually heard a car backfiring. The closed-circuit video capturing the incident is, as the president says, a hoax concocted by the same Fake News outlets that manufactured the Access Hollywood video. The confession released by the White House was “perfect” evidence of Trump’s innocence. Election records show that the cops who arrived on the scene were registered Democrats and therefore part of a deep-state conspiracy to frame the president for a crime he didn’t commit but that the Democrats did. The victim was not killed and will make a complete recovery, so no crime was committed anyway. And even if Trump had killed the young woman he gunned down, the argument advanced by Trump’s lawyer last month would apply: “The person who serves as president, while in office, enjoys absolute immunity from criminal process of any kind.” Next case!
NYMag - Frank Rich
Brand X

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 07:08 am
@hightor,
Can be. She has a a lot of progressive support.