monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

coldjoint

Thu 21 Nov, 2019 10:03 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
recognizing each other and palling around together.

You mean like the Democrats and Anti-Fa?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Thu 21 Nov, 2019 11:33 pm
@oralloy,
No they don't. You are wrong about history, archaeology and genetics.
coldjoint

Thu 21 Nov, 2019 11:43 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:

Have any DNA information on Palestinians?
Sturgis

Thu 21 Nov, 2019 11:49 pm
@coldjoint,
Do you?
If you ain't got any, then don't request it from another.
coldjoint

Thu 21 Nov, 2019 11:56 pm
@Sturgis,

Quote:
If you ain't got any, then don't request it from another.

There has to be someone that you can tell what not to do or ask, I am not that person. Infrablue said Oralloy was wrong about genetics. I challenged him to try and prove it.
Sturgis

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 12:00 am
@coldjoint,
Have you thought about submitting your DNA to one of them there genetic comedy sites?
glitterbag

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 12:02 am
@Sturgis,
I'd pay to see those results, then again I might lose all hope for humanity.
Sturgis

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 12:08 am
@glitterbag,
I come close to losing hope whenever Devin Nunes babbles some of his gibberish.

(pretty much when most of the current batch of Republicans speak in defense of the current White House occupant)
glitterbag

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 01:21 am
@Sturgis,
Devin Nunes is a disgrace, he has never heard a nutbag conspiracy he won't wrap his hands around.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 01:28 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

Palestinians are of Jewish, Canaanite and Arabic origin.
glitterbag

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 02:34 am
@Olivier5,
That's true, too bad frosty and oral aren't curious or educated.
Builder

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 04:49 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:

No, but the Saudi "royals" are of Jewish heritage. Their doctored version of islam makes it legal to behead dissidents, enslave women, butcher foreign journalists, while conducting acts of ethnic "cleansing" abroad, and buying up real estate across many nations.

Their plan for the takeover of the middle east began well before any of us were born.

The destruction of the Ottoman Empire, using the might of the west, and the division of the middle east directly thereafter, was a classic chess move.

They're still pulling strings, globally, but it's tricky to say how their influence is shifting today, with their key mercenary players, ISIS, on the ropes.

0 Replies

blatham

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 04:56 am
Jake Burton Carpenter, who developed the snowboard, has just died. I bumped into him on a chairlift at Mt. Baker (Washington State) when he was still experimenting with his new toy and before anyone had heard the term "snowboard". A very nice guy.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 05:10 am
https://truthout.org/articles/noam-chomsky-democratic-party-centrism-risks-handing-election-to-trump/?utm_source=sharebuttons&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=mashshare&fbclid=IwAR1N_GXZKiGr4LmunSMmAXSz8q7R84nVQcS5775XUM6DVq5ButVYYg_e-dU

Noam Chomsky: Democratic Party Centrism Risks Handing Election to Trump

As the 2020 election race heats up, U.S. politics, the nation’s political culture as a whole, and even the future of organized human life are at a crossroads. Another four years of Donald Trump would deliver nightmarish blows to democracy and social rights, handing an unthinkable mandate to a president who has become notorious for undermining virtually everything of decent value to humanity.

Yet, the question remains as to whether this dangerous man will actually be defeated in 2020. At the Democratic debate on Wednesday night, we witnessed a cacophony that did little to convey the ideological elements and political values that define the Democratic Party in the age of authoritarian neoliberalism and plutocracy. Intellectual shallowness and opportunism were prevalent throughout the debate. Pete Buttigieg’s meager attempts to parry questions on his lack of support among Black voters attracted the most buzz. Meanwhile, Elizabeth Warren’s reasonable and anything but radical “wealth tax” proposal received little attention because it remains an anathema to the political establishment of the Democratic Party, as do Bernie Sanders’s universal health care and climate change policies.

Indeed, as evidenced by the lack of a coherent vision on the part of most candidates in Wednesday’s Democratic debate in addressing the real threats and challenges facing the country and the whole planet, the Democratic Party is still unable to get its act together, and, in its apparent determination to kill the left wing, it may very well end up ensuring a Trump electoral victory for a second time.

To discuss what is really at stake in the 2020 presidential election, Truthout’s C.J. Polychroniou interviewed Noam Chomsky, the world’s leading public intellectual and a founder of modern linguistics. Chomsky is Professor Emeritus of Linguistics at MIT and Laureate Professor of Linguistics at the University of Arizona. He has published more than 120 books, which have appeared in most of the world’s languages, and is the co-author of the forthcoming book with Robert Pollin and C.J. Polychroniou titled, The Political Economy of Climate Change and the Green New Deal (Verso, 2020).

C.J. Polychroniou: The 2020 U.S. presidential election is less than a year from now, and, while most polls seem to indicate that Trump will lose the national vote, the electoral vote is up for grabs. What manner of a democracy is this, and why isn’t there a public outcry in this country about the antiquated institution of the electoral college?

Noam Chomsky: Preliminary comment: I find it psychologically impossible to discuss the 2020 election without emphasizing, as strongly as possible, what is at stake: survival, nothing less.

Four more years of Trump may spell the end of much of life on Earth, including organized human society in any recognizable form. Strong words, but not strong enough.

I would like to repeat the words of Raymond Pierrehumbert, a lead author of the startling [Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change] report of October 2018, since replaced by still more dire warnings: “With regard to the climate crisis, yes, it’s time to panic. We are in deep trouble.” These should be the defining terms of the 2020 election.

Environmental catastrophe is an imminent threat. Much of the world is taking steps to deal with it — inadequate, but at least something. Trump and the political organization he now virtually owns are taking steps too — to exacerbate the crisis. Some may recall [George] W. Bush’s infamous call, “bring it on,” directed to Iraqis preparing to “attack us” (in what happened to be their country, but put that aside). Bush later apologized, with regret, but Trump is proud to outdo him, calling on the rising seas and burning Earth to put an end to the human experiment.
blatham

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 05:12 am
Credit where due.

I don't believe I've ever written anything positive about John Bolton and I've written about him a lot since he first walrused into view.

But Hill's testimony yesterday demonstrated that, quite outside of his neoconservative ideology, he behaved in this case with some degree of integrity.
Builder

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 05:15 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Democratic Party Centrism Risks Handing Election to Trump

Centrism? Do they even have a platform?

Or a candidate who isn't compromised?

0 Replies

blatham

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 05:25 am
@Lash,
Chomsky notes:
Quote:
The consequences are hard to predict. If the donor class succeeds in nominating a centrist candidate, progressive activist forces might be disillusioned and reluctant to do the work on the ground that will be needed to prevent the tragedy — repeat, tragedy — of four more years of Trumpism. If a progressive candidate does gain the nomination, centrist power and wealth may back away, again opening the path to tragedy. It will be a fateful year. It will be even more important than usual to remain level-headed and to think through with care the consequences of action, and inaction.
Lash

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 05:36 am
@blatham,
Progressives are doing the work on the ground right now —despite head in the sand Centrists— to prevent the tragedy. I’m using my time and scant disposable income to elect the strongest proponent of the best strategies to fight climate change.

If the billionaires and their minions win against us, there’s nothing more for us to do. Let them preside over the end of the world. That’s the reward they’ve been fighting for.
blatham

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 05:38 am
@Lash,
Read again the passage I quoted. What the **** is wrong with you?
Builder

Fri 22 Nov, 2019 05:40 am
@blatham,
Quote:
What the **** is wrong with you?

Too phunny.

It's my way or the hiway, right?

0 Replies