monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

BillW

Sun 20 Oct, 2019 02:23 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

...... And let's add the addendum that the GOP has now pretty much totally adopted Trump's style of political misinformation.

I think tRump adopted from the GOP and added nefarious criminality to that Rove/Atwilll/Stone/Gingrich/etc modal.
blatham

Sun 20 Oct, 2019 02:28 pm
@BillW,
Correct. Trump is unique only as regards how utterly dependent he is on promulgating misinformation/confusion through accusing others of what he himself is doing.
BillW

Sun 20 Oct, 2019 02:33 pm
@blatham,
After all, what's a "little" criminality when you're immune to charges and you can pardon your cohorts? (Plus make money for yourself and your family in the process.)
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sun 20 Oct, 2019 04:51 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
accusing others of what he himself is doing.

It is the other way around and the Republicans in Congress know it. Soon Durham will prove it.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 20 Oct, 2019 06:21 pm
Jesus. Mulvaney steps in it again.
Quote:
“At the end of the day, he still considers himself to be in the hospitality business,” Mulvaney told Wallace about Trump’s original decision to hold the next G-7 summit at his resort in Doral, Fla. — a decision he reversed late Saturday.

“I just have to pick up: You say he considers himself in the hospitality business?” Wallace asked. “He’s the president of the United States.”

Mulvaney’s interview did not play well among Trump allies and advisers, with one calling it a “self-immolation.”
Politico

To be fair, it has to be impossible to keep so many interconnected lies and their ramifications straight in one's head.
BillW

Sun 20 Oct, 2019 06:29 pm
@blatham,
I had read somewhere yesterday that Mulvaney was already on a short rope and was maybe trying just a little to hard to please.......who knows?
blatham

Sun 20 Oct, 2019 06:32 pm
Quote:
To the Editor: NYT

Re “We Are All at the Mercy of the Narcissist in Chief,” by Jennifer Senior (column, Oct. 12):

As a psychiatrist who contributed a chapter to the “The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump,” I have often been asked whether he meets the definition of a narcissist, to which I have answered, half in jest, “No, rather he gives narcissism a bad name.”

President Trump’s grandiosity and paranoid retaliatory behaviors are so far beyond those shown by what in contrast could be called “ordinary narcissists” that he requires a category beyond narcissism. The proper category would be “destructive dictator,” because Mr. Trump, like Hitler and Stalin, has the personality of a grandiose-paranoid dictator who would destroy all he saw as his enemies while endangering the nation that he supposedly was advancing through his leadership.

That puts him far beyond the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders diagnosis of narcissistic personality disorder into a much more dangerous zone for our nation.

Henry J. Friedman
Cambridge, Mass.
The writer is an associate professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School.

Yes. Trump is a sociopath. N.P.D. is insufficient as a description of him.
coldjoint

Sun 20 Oct, 2019 06:39 pm
@blatham,
Nope. Another diagnosis by a quack. No doctor would diagnose a person without seeing them.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 20 Oct, 2019 06:41 pm
@BillW,
Impossible to know, as you say. But no one will be surprised if Mulvaney is gone in short order.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 21 Oct, 2019 05:58 am
Quote:
Former Republican Ohio Gov. John Kasich says he's now for impeaching Trump
CNN

Not terribly surprising. Still, Kasich is not an insignificant figure and in the modern GOP, this is a brave stance. Looking forward to hearing what Hannity thinks about it.
snood

Mon 21 Oct, 2019 06:29 am
@blatham,
Pitiful what counts as a brave act for a Republican today. Like the guy (I think a senator) “announcing” he’d favor impeachment at the same time he’s announcing his retirement.
blatham

Mon 21 Oct, 2019 07:05 am
@snood,
Yeah. Republicans argue that politicians are scum and then set out to provide personal examples for the claim.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 21 Oct, 2019 07:21 am
Quote:
President Trump's attorney Rudy Giuliani on Friday criticized Michael Cohen's lawyer Lanny Davis for representing an indicted Ukrainian with links to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

"Lanny Davis represents a gentleman named Firtash," Giuliani told Hill.TV's Buck Sexton on "Rising," referring to a Ukrainian oligarch.

Dmitry Firtash signed on to be represented by Davis's law firm, Davis Goldberg & Galper, in 2016.

"He is considered to be one of the close associates of [Semion] Mogilevich, who is the head of Russian organized crime, who is Putin's best friend. Lanny Davis has represented him for four or five years. If the newspapers are correct, he gets $80,000 a month from this guy who's considered to be one of the high-level, Russian organized crime members or associates," Giuliani said.
LINK

And the same Firtash is dead-center in Rudy's/Trump corrupt moves to smear Biden and his son.
Quote:
And there it is, the other quid pro quo. Notorious Ukrainian oligarch Dmitry Firtash would help Rudy and DiGenova and Toensing cook up dirt on Joe Biden. In return, they’d work with Trump to get US corruption charges against Firtash tossed. Firtash has been fighting extradition to the US on federal corruption charges since 2014.
TPM with internal link to Bloomberg reporting
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 21 Oct, 2019 07:28 am
Quote:
Our President
Josh Marshall
I know this is the first thing we learned about Trump. It’s obvious, ingrained, just basic to his whole personality. But it is still remarkable the degree to which at least half of Trump’s emotional life seems based on anger at close advisors and associates who are unable to clean up his messes to his own standards and satisfaction. Sometimes perhaps a staffer is hapless. But in virtually every case it is simply that his own actions make clean ups close to impossible. It is just a remarkable, beyond-caricature example of absent self-awareness, entitlement and yes narcissism.
TPM

I've been trying to get up to speed on the characteristics of sociopaths (or psychopaths, the terms refer to the same thing but some folks prefer one to the other). And one key characteristic is their propensity to cause chaos around them which both excites them and which they use to confuse, frighten and dominate.
snood

Mon 21 Oct, 2019 07:40 am
@blatham,
He’s evidently passed that special lack of self-awareness on to his offspring. Witness Eric Trump on Faux Noise this weekend complaining bitterly about presidential families using the office to enrich themselves.
snood

Mon 21 Oct, 2019 07:44 am
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

I had read somewhere yesterday that Mulvaney was already on a short rope and was maybe trying just a little to hard to please.......who knows?

I read that. I also think I saw where they were saying his job was probably safe anyway because they can’t get anyone else to do it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 21 Oct, 2019 07:46 am
@snood,
On HIGNFY last week Paul Merton said Trump was a moron. He doesn't think he's done anything wrong re Biden/Ukraine, so he keeps confirming his criminality.

He's always been able to bullshit his way out of tricky situations so why should this be any different?

Note it wasn't Trump who classified his phone call but the people whose job it is to cover up his illegality/stupidity.
blatham

Mon 21 Oct, 2019 08:01 am
@snood,
That was a dilly.
0 Replies

engineer

Mon 21 Oct, 2019 08:10 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

He's always been able to bullshit his way out of tricky situations so why should this be any different?

It is completely logical to continue doing what has worked before. If you are bluffing in poker, you sell it all the way to the end. Trump is not a moron for pursuing this strategy and Trump's understanding of his hold on the Republican electorate and the threat that presents to elected Republicans is completely accurate. Trump's only miscalculation is pushing too far too fast. You have to raise the temperature slowly. You can't do Ukraine, Syria and Doral is rapid succession.
blatham

Mon 21 Oct, 2019 09:44 am
@engineer,
Quote:
Trump's only miscalculation is pushing too far too fast.
I'd argue that his greater miscalculation was to imagine that holding the presidency would be the same as running a large business empire. That is, he presumed he would be able to maintain the same degree of secrecy, corruption and domination. He did not grasp that holding the presidency would gather far, far more close reportorial and institutional attention and policing.