monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

farmerman

Sat 19 Oct, 2019 04:36 am
@Builder,
ya man Pizza the Hut dont you?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 19 Oct, 2019 08:40 am
The US military bombed its own base as part of its hasty withdrawal from Syria as militias backed by Turkey closed in, an Operation Inherent Resolve official has confirmed.

Shades of Catch 22.
BillW

Sat 19 Oct, 2019 09:22 am
@edgarblythe,
"Catch 22" - tRump's umbrella!
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 19 Oct, 2019 02:00 pm
@Baldimo,
Been without power since Thursday afternoon.
Quote:
Don't play games, the Dems in Congress were willing to accept the "testimony" of a known liar who was being sent to jail and who lied to them again in his 2nd round of "testimony".

Think about it. Cohen's claims were investigated — otherwise they wouldn't have known when he was lying, right? Have Shokin and his oligarch bosses been scrutinized similarly?

Quote:
...the DNC is collecting all of this "subpoena" info purely for the 2020 election...

Blah, blah, blah— won't you get off this "DNC" fixation? The subpoenas are being issued by Democrats in Congress, not the DNC. Of course the findings will be used in the 2020 election. If they show malfeasance and dishonesty why wouldn't they be used?

0 Replies

Builder

Sat 19 Oct, 2019 09:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The US military bombed its own base as part of its hasty withdrawal from Syria

Can't find a link to that, but it's common practice to destroy infrastructure when leaving a base with no intention of returning.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 19 Oct, 2019 10:06 pm
@Builder,
But you leave the food trays on the tables and cans of coke in the fridge for the newcomers, here the Russians?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 19 Oct, 2019 10:08 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Quote:
The US military bombed its own base as part of its hasty withdrawal from Syria

Can't find a link to that, but it's common practice to destroy infrastructure when leaving a base with no intention of returning.

Found a couple of links with one quick search.
https://reason.com/2019/10/17/trump-wishes-russia-luck-in-syria-as-u-s-bombs-its-own-bases-and-erdogan-scoffs-at-trumps-attempt-to-make-a-deal/
BillW

Sat 19 Oct, 2019 10:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Pooty poots' getting tired of winning from tRump throwin' the game. I get ashamed of being an American until I remember this jerk isn't an American but a f''ing slug. Then I know America will show it's full honor and colors in 15 more months when the butt hole is defeated!
0 Replies

Builder

Sat 19 Oct, 2019 10:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Found a couple of links with one quick search.

The one link you've shared says the same thing; when departing, it's common practice to destroy infrastructure, so it's not available to anyone unfavorable to use.

Let's take a recap on how Obama "handled" troop actions is Syria; "mistakenly" dropping munitions and supplies to IS themselves.
edgarblythe

Sat 19 Oct, 2019 10:56 pm
@Builder,
Nobody was arguing your point. I just wanted to share a link. I could have shared more, but what would be the point?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 19 Oct, 2019 11:00 pm
@Builder,
I am not here to defend any of the government's actions in these self inflicted forever nightmares. As far as I am concerned, GW is Obama is Trump. I protested before they began and have not changed at all in that regard. I just want some statesmanship and a shut down of the whole thing.
Builder

Sun 20 Oct, 2019 02:58 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
As far as I am concerned, GW is Obama is Trump.

As far as I'm concerned, if the Don was one of them, the press would not be attacking everything he does, or ever did.

Just look at the "regular" crew on this thread; they ignore anything that doesn't attack or deride their president, despite knowing why he landed the job.
izzythepush

Sun 20 Oct, 2019 03:29 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Shades of Catch 22.

I was reminded of the fall of Saigon, running out unceremoniously with their tails between their legs.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 20 Oct, 2019 05:31 am
Quote:
After days of relentless criticism, President Donald Trump abruptly reversed course late Saturday when he announced he would scrap plans to hold next year’s G-7 gathering of world leaders at one of his family’s resorts.

Trump made the change after members of Congress and government ethics experts accused him of violating the Constitution by holding the summit at his financially struggling Trump National Doral Miami resort.

"Based on both Media & Democrat Crazed and Irrational Hostility, we will no longer consider Trump National Doral, Miami, as the Host Site for the G-7 in 2020," Trump tweeted just 30 minutes after he defended the decision on Twitter.
Politico

Not a well-functioning mind.

edgarblythe

Sun 20 Oct, 2019 07:46 am
@Builder,
If the Don wasn't one of them he would get us out of Saudi Arabia long ago and he would seek some justice for Palestinians.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 20 Oct, 2019 09:10 am
Mulvaney: Surprised over Doral flap, Trump thinks he's still in hospitality business
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump was surprised at the resistance to his now-revoked decision to host next year’s Group of Seven summit at his Florida golf resort, his acting chief of staff said on Sunday, adding that Trump still considers himself to be in the hospitality business.

Trump on Saturday announced on Twitter that he was abandoning the move to host the meeting at Trump National Doral near Miami in June, citing “Crazed and Irrational Hostility” from Democrats and the news media. He said he would look for another site, possibly the Camp David presidential retreat.

“He was honestly surprised at the level of pushback” to the original announcement, White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney told “Fox News Sunday.”

“At the end of the day, he still considers himself to be in the hospitality business, and he saw an opportunity to take the biggest leaders from around the world and he wanted to put on the absolute best show, the best visit that he possibly could and he was very confident of doing that at Doral,” Mulvaney said.
0 Replies

BillW

Sun 20 Oct, 2019 09:34 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Not a well-functioning mind.

No greater truth......
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sun 20 Oct, 2019 09:54 am
No more G-7 Laughing Laughing Laughing at Doral, now what?
MontereyJack

Sun 20 Oct, 2019 09:57 am
@coldjoint,
Yeah, when is he going to violate the constitution again by violating the emoluments clause?
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 20 Oct, 2019 01:58 pm
Apparently, Republicans have concluded that Russia is, after all, delighted by a dysfunctional US political system.
Quote:
As impeachment proceedings loom over President Donald Trump, some observers have speculated that Russia, actively enjoying sowing chaos in the United States, is delighted by the dysfunction tearing apart the U.S. government. Nineteen Republican members of the House Foreign Affairs Committee signed a joint letter to the Wall Street Journal that was published on the paper’s op-ed page last month with the headline, “Impeachment Is What Vladimir Putin Wants.” The GOP members of Congress wrote, “His goal, now and before the 2016 election, has been to pit Americans against one another and erode confidence in our democratic process.”
Politico

From that WSJ article
Quote:
Intentional or not, Democrats are literally following the Russian president’s playbook. His goal, now and before the 2016 election, has been to pit Americans against one another and erode confidence in our democratic process. The world, which should focus on Mr. Putin’s illegitimate annexation of Crimea and continuing aggression elsewhere in Ukraine, instead is fixated on this partisan domestic theater.

At this point, we note how vociferous the Republican president has spoken out about Putin's behavior in Crimea, the Ukraine and elsewhere AND the manipulation of US domestic affairs through fomenting dissent and bringing the system into disrepute. We also note how strenuously the GOP has been in carrying forward loud and stolid criticisms of a similar nature.

And we could even point out, I suppose, how all the above is a rather perfect example of accusing the opponent of exactly what you yourself have been doing. And let's add the addendum that the GOP has now pretty much totally adopted Trump's style of political misinformation.