monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

eurocelticyankee

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:11 am
At this stage anybody who supports or votes for Trump know he's a coward. Leaving asides the fact that he's a nutjob you know you're putting a spineless bone spurred coward into the White House.
He hasn't even got the balls to sack anybody face to face. This is why he bends over for all the Dictators because he hasn't got the balls to stand up to them.
The coward abandoned your fellow fighters the Kurds letting that animal Edrogon go in and ethnic cleanse them.
But lets not forget the Kurds didn't help with WW2, another lie the Kurds fought with the Brits. But where were the Kurds during Vietnam or the war of Independence I hear you Republicans say. Sad.
America you've turned on all your allies and instead kiss ass to savage dictators. you even invite them to meddle in your internal affairs.
What has happened to you America, shameful.

I watched Joe Rogan interviewing Penn jillette who apparently worked with Trump for years and one thing he said he noticed about Trump and this speaks volumes to me was that he never once seen him laugh.

0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:13 am
@blatham,
I'm a lot slower than you. Hence the same (kind of) post.
blatham

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:15 am
@revelette1,
Two geniuses mere seconds apart.
revelette1

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:17 am
@blatham,
Stable geniuses.
blatham

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:22 am
@revelette1,
Strongly stable. Issuers of perfect words.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:38 am
Quote:
A federal appeals court ruled Friday that President Donald Trump's accounting firm must comply with a congressional subpoena for the president's financial records, handing Trump the latest setback in his effort to stop House Democrats from gathering information about him in their impeachment inquiry.

The US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit rejected Trump's argument that the House Oversight Committee lacked authority to issue a subpoena to the president's longtime accounting firm, Mazars USA LLP.

"Contrary to the President's arguments, the Committee possess authority under both the House Rules and the Constitution to issue the subpoena, and Mazars must comply," Judge David Tatel wrote in the 2-1 opinion.

Trump could ask the full DC Circuit to reconsider the three-judge panel's decision, or skip that step and ask the US Supreme Court to take up the case now.

It's the second loss for Trump in his bid to block the House Oversight Committee's subpoena to Mazars
BuzzFeed
BillW

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 09:03 am
@blatham,
The wheels are coming off this Administrations from all directions.
blatham

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 09:10 am
@BillW,
Your mixed metaphor is ripping out the goose's rivets
0 Replies

BillW

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 09:12 am
@blatham,
They already got bail - $1 million each. One used a house, the other a business. Of , course, gave up passports and restricted to certain locations with ankle bracelets.
blatham

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 09:12 am
Totally off topic. Just reading a piece at NYRB. Wonderful line here
Quote:
It all began with a book review. Last year, I read an article by David Aaronovitch in The Times of London about Michael Pollan’s How to Change Your Mind. The book concerns a resurgence of interest in psychedelic drugs, which were widely banned after Timothy Leary’s antics with LSD, starting in the late 1960s, in which he encouraged American youth to “turn on, tune in, and drop out.” In recent years, though, scientists have started to test therapeutic uses of psychedelics for an extraordinary range of ailments, including depression, addiction, and end-of-life angst.

Aaronovitch mentioned in passing that he had been intrigued enough to book a “psychedelic retreat” in the Netherlands run by the British Psychedelic Society, though, in the event, his wife put her foot down and he canceled. To try psychedelics was something I’d secretly hankered after doing ever since I was a teenager, but I was always too cautious and risk-averse. As I got older, the moment seemed to pass. Today I am a middle-aged journalist working in London, the finance editor of The Economist, a wife, mother, and, to all appearances, a person totally devoid of countercultural tendencies.

And yet… on impulse, I arranged to go. Only after I booked did I tell my husband. He was bemused, but said it was fine by him, as long as I didn’t decide while I was under the influence that I didn’t love him anymore. My eighteen-year-old son thought the whole thing was hilarious (it turns out that your mother tripping is a good way to make drugs seem less cool).
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 09:16 am
@BillW,
Trump will take it to the SC where odds are in his favor. We can thank anyone who didn't vote for Hillary for whatever reason for that.
blatham

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 09:17 am
Far, far, far too ******* long for this to happen
Quote:
The Washington Post is sidelining contributing opinion writer and megalobbyist Ed Rogers ahead of the 2020 election, the publication's opinion editor said. Rogers has been a lobbyist for clients such as the Saudi government, and his firm employs Kurt Volker, who has become a key figure in the emerging Trump impeachment scandal.

Rogers is the founding partner of BGR Group, one of the top Washington, D.C.-based lobbying firms. Since 1998, the firm has received over $200 million in lobbying income across numerous industries, according to data compiled by the Center for Responsive Politics. He joined the Post as a contributing opinion writer in 2011.
MM

This guy is a real shitheel. Remember the right wing concentration on Barack HUSSEIN Obama's middle name? Rogers started that during an appearance on Hardball.
tsarstepan

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 09:25 am
@blatham,
BREAKING NEWS
President Trump’s accountants must give his tax returns to Congress, an appeals court said, a major defeat in his attempts to block their release.
Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Trump’s accounting firm must turn over eight years of financial records to a House committee, a federal appeals court ruled on Friday, handing the president a significant defeat in his attempts to block the release of the returns.

Quote:
“Contrary to the president’s arguments, the committee possesses authority under both the House Rules and the Constitution to issue the subpoena, and Mazars must comply,” the appeals court panel wrote in its opinion. Mr. Trump appointed the dissenting judge, Neomi Rao.

Now...? Why didn't Neomi Rao recuse himself from this case? That stinks.
blatham

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 09:28 am
@tsarstepan,
Yeah. Yummy. But the administration has two further possible legal challenges they'll surely utilize, the final being the SC. Delay, delay, delay and then hope the court they packed will get them off the hook.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 09:41 am
Quote:
WASHINGTON — Businessmen with ties to Rudy Giuliani lobbied a U.S. congressman in 2018 for help ousting the American ambassador to Ukraine around the same time they committed to raising money for the lawmaker.
An indictment unsealed Thursday identified the lawmaker only as "Congressman 1." But the donations described in the indictment match campaign finance reports for former Rep. Pete Sessions, a Texas Republican who lost his re-election bid in November 2018.

Sessions, who has been weighing a comeback, is not accused of any wrongdoing and denied Thursday that he was aware of what federal prosecutors allege was a coordinated effort to remove Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch. Still, he now finds himself entangled in the impeachment investigation centered on President Donald Trump's dealings with Ukraine as well as Giuliani's relationships in the former Soviet republic.

The indictment was made public Thursday following the arrest of two Florida businessmen with ties to Giuliani. It alleges that Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman leveraged a flurry of GOP political donations in a campaign to force Yovanovitch's removal, an effort prosecutors say was aided by laundered foreign money.

Parnas and Fruman's outsized political giving allowed the two relatively unknown entrepreneurs to quickly win access to the highest levels of the Republican Party — including face-to-face meetings with Trump at the White House and Mar-a-Lago.

On May 9, 2018, Parnas posted a photo of himself and his business partner David Correia with Sessions in his Capitol Hill office, with the caption "Hard at work !!"

Correia, and another man, a Ukrainian-born U.S. citizen named Andrew Kukushkin, are also charged in the case.

Later that same day, Sessions sent a letter to U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo seeking Yovanovitch's dismissal because he had "notice of concrete evidence" that she had "spoken privately and repeatedly about her disdain for the current Administration."

Campaign finance records show Parnas and Fruman later contributed $2,700 apiece to Sessions' campaign, the maximum allowed individual contribution.

Sessions said Thursday that he will vigorously defend himself against any allegations of wrongdoing.

"I was first approached by these individuals for a meeting about the strategic need for Ukraine to become energy independent," Sessions said, according to a written statement. "There was no request in that meeting and I took no action."

Sessions added that "several congressional colleagues" were the source of the allegations in his letter claiming that Yovanovitch had disparaged Trump, not Parnas and Fruman. He also sought to distance himself from Giuliani, who he described as a friend of more than 30 years.

"I do not know what his business or legal activities in Ukraine have been," the ex-congressman said of the president's personal lawyer.
Though Parnas posted a May 2018 photo of himself with a smiling Trump during a private dinner at the White House also attended by Fruman, the president denied having any idea who the two arrested men are.

"I don't know those gentlemen," said Trump, speaking on the South Lawn of the White House. "Now it's possible that I have a picture with them, because I have a picture with everybody ... I don't know them. I don't know about them. I don't know what they do. ... Maybe they were clients of Rudy. You have to ask Rudy."

More at https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/arrest-of-giuliani-associates-ensnares-congressman-1/ar-AAIARMP?ocid=spartandhp

Trump claimed he didn't know them and yet they (the accused) had face to face meetings at the WH and Mar-a-Lago.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 09:58 am
Quote:
The Mystery of Rudy Giuliani’s Vienna Trip

President Trump’s personal lawyer told me he was planning to fly to Vienna roughly 24 hours after his business associates were arrested as they prepared to do the same.

Last night, when Rudy Giuliani told me he couldn’t get together for an interview, his reason made sense: As with many nights of late, he was due to appear on Hannity. When I suggested this evening instead, his response was a bit more curious. We would have to aim for lunch, Giuliani told me, because he was planning to fly to Vienna, Austria, at night. He didn’t offer any details beyond that.

Giuliani called me at 6:22 p.m. last night—around the same time that two of his associates, Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, were arrested at Dulles Airport while waiting to board an international flight with one-way tickets. As The Wall Street Journal reported this afternoon, the two men were bound for Vienna. The Florida businessmen, who are reported to have assisted Giuliani in his alleged efforts to investigate Joe Biden and his family ahead of the 2020 election, were charged with campaign-finance violations, with prosecutors alleging that they had conspired to funnel money from a Russian donor into Donald Trump’s presidential campaign.

But Giuliani, when confirming today that Parnas and Fruman were heading to Vienna on matters “related to their business,” told the Journal that he himself only had plans to meet with them when they returned to Washington. By this logic, Giuliani was also planning to fly to Vienna within roughly 24 hours of his business associates, but do no business with them while all three were there.

This morning, Giuliani told me he’d have to reschedule our lunch. I’ve tried to reach him since then, to discuss Parnas’s and Fruman’s arrests, among other things, to no avail. When I called at 3 p.m. ET to ask about his Vienna trip, a woman claiming to be his communications director answered the phone. I have called him more than 100 times over the past year, and this is the first time that has ever happened. She said she’d have to get back to me. As we spoke, I could hear a voice that resembled Giuliani’s shout “asshole” in the background. “Oh, sorry,” the woman told me. “He was talking to the TV.”

Why were Parnas and Fruman bound for Vienna? Why was Giuliani—if what he told me was true—planning to be in the same city a day later?
Giuliani finally sent me a text message at 4:18 p.m. ET: “I can’t comment on it at this time.”

Parnas and Fruman, both Soviet-born, have been instrumental in helping Giuliani develop Ukrainian contacts in his quest to prove that Biden, while vice president, tried to curtail an investigation into a Ukrainian gas company for which his son Hunter Biden served on the board. Parnas told NPR, for example, that he was the one who had arranged a Skype call between Giuliani and former Ukrainian Prosecutor General Viktor Shokin to discuss their corruption theory. Parnas was also present at meetings in New York and Warsaw earlier this year with Giuliani and Yuriy Lutsenko, another former prosecutor general for Ukraine.

I met Parnas and Fruman in March, when I joined Giuliani at Shelly’s Back Room, a cigar bar in D.C., to discuss Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s soon-to-be-released report on Russian interference in the 2016 election. Sipping back-to-back glasses of Macallan—double, one large ice cube—and smoking a Nicaraguan cigar, Giuliani told me he’d known Parnas for two years.

Parnas laughed and said he’d grown up “idolizing” Giuliani. They bantered about how the Mueller probe would likely amount to nothing, with Parnas adding that it was Trump’s “constitutional right” to fire former FBI Director James Comey. Save for introducing himself when I arrived, Fruman was quiet. Parnas told me they were all “great friends” and all “work together.”

Along with allegedly using a shell company to donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to Republican candidates and a pro-Trump super PAC, Parnas and Fruman were also accused by federal prosectors of meddling in American political activities on behalf of one or more Ukrainian officials. In the 21-page indictment, prosecutors allege that Parnas and Fruman lobbied for the removal of the U.S. ambassador in Kiev, Marie Yovanovitch—something Giuliani sought as well, arguing that she was biased against the president. In May, Trump ordered Yovanovitch’s removal.
The White House has kept mum about the arrests. Jay Sekulow, Trump’s personal lawyer alongside Giuliani, told reporters that neither Trump nor his campaign has “anything to do with the scheme these guys were involved in.”

It’s difficult to know, however, precisely what Trump may or may not know about Parnas and Fruman, given that Giuliani and Trump are in constant contact and that Giuliani, at least broadly, has frequently kept Trump updated on his maneuverings in Ukraine. Presumably these are the kinds of questions that House Democrats had in mind when they subpoenaed Giuliani last month, and Parnas and Fruman today. Giuliani has said he refuses to testify or provide documents to the House Intelligence Committee. Parnas and Fruman, for their part, are being held in a Virginia jail on a $1 million bond each.

Trump is already seeking to distance himself from the controversy. “I don’t know those gentlemen,” the president told reporters before departing for a rally in Minnesota. “Now, it’s possible I have a picture with them, because I have a picture with everybody.” (He does, in fact, have a picture with Parnas.)

“Maybe they were clients of Rudy,” Trump added. “You’d have to ask Rudy.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/10/rudy-giuliani-vienna/599833/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 10:17 am
@BillW,
Quote:
The wheels are coming off this Administrations from all directions.

How the Hell would you know? Anything to back your claim up besides MSM propaganda?
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 10:21 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Now...? Why didn't Neomi Rao recuse himself from this case? That stinks.

Why didn't Mueller recuse himself? He had more conflicts of interest.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 10:24 am
@BillW,
Quote:
They already got bail - $1 million each.

They also have nothing to do with Trump. Trump had no control over the super pack or the donations it took. Try again.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 12:03 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
Twisted himself, the English language and the truth into the furthest bastardized pretzel of a non-answer

Nonsense. I gave you a direct and straightforward answer.

snood wrote:
his pea brain could muster.

My IQ is 170 actually.