monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 05:49 am
Lindsey Graham got duped by a notorious pair of Russian pranksters pretending to be Turkey's defense minister
snood

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 05:49 am
@coldjoint,
Is it ok for a sitting president to ask a foreign country to investigate his political rivals?
hightor

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 05:54 am
So if you don't like the news, send in one of your henchmen and have a little talk...

Trump Lashes Out at Fox News Poll as Barr Meets With Murdoch

Quote:
Attorney General William P. Barr met privately Wednesday evening with Rupert Murdoch, the media mogul who is one of President Trump’s frequent confidants but whose Fox News is viewed by the president as more hostile toward him than it used to be.

The meeting was held at Mr. Murdoch’s home in New York, according to someone familiar with it. It was unclear if anyone else attended or what was discussed. Aides to both Mr. Murdoch and Mr. Barr declined requests for comment on the meeting.

The visit took place as the impeachment inquiry into Mr. Trump by House Democrats has gathered momentum. Mr. Barr has emerged as a key defender of the president’s concerns about the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election. Mr. Barr was criticized in the spring for his handling of the report by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, before it was released publicly.

Mr. Trump has sought out Mr. Murdoch’s opinion on a wide range of issues in the past, and Fox News has provided Mr. Trump with key support both as a candidate and as president.

Recently, Fox News personalities have questioned the validity of efforts by House Democrats to impeach the president. They have also helped draw attention to the debunked theory that Ukraine interfered in the 2016 election to aid Democrats, a theory favored by Mr. Trump but which contradicts the findings of American intelligence communities and the Mueller report that Russia intervened in the election to help Republicans. And anchors such as Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham have remained vocally supportive of the president.

Nonetheless, Mr. Trump believes that the network has become more critical of him, and he has grown increasingly critical of Fox News, denouncing some anchors and reporters he does not consider to be friendly to him, such as Shepard Smith and even Ed Henry, with whom he held a recent interview. And while Mr. Trump talks frequently with Tucker Carlson, another Fox News host, Mr. Carlson has been critical of Mr. Trump’s July call with the president of Ukraine, which prompted the impeachment inquiry. Mr. Carlson said in a column for The Daily Caller website that there was “no way” to spin what took place on that call as a positive for Mr. Trump.

On Thursday morning, Mr. Trump lashed out at Fox News over a poll it commissioned on attitudes toward the impeachment inquiry.

The poll showed that 51 percent of people surveyed believe that Mr. Trump should be impeached and removed from office. Another 4 percent said he should be impeached but not removed, and 40 percent said they are against impeaching Mr. Trump.

“From the day I announced I was running for President, I have NEVER had a good @FoxNews Poll. Whoever their Pollster is, they suck,” Mr. Trump posted on Twitter. “But @FoxNews is also much different than it used to be in the good old days.”

In another tweet, he added, “@FoxNews doesn’t deliver for US anymore. It is so different than it used to be. Oh well, I’m President!”

nyt
hightor

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 05:57 am
@snood,
Good luck getting a straight answer. Did that cowardly oralloy ever answer your question yesterday with a simple yes or no?
blatham

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 06:01 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
John Bolton might know some of this, also, doubt he is feeling too friendly towards Trump. Wonder if he would willing to testify?
No. It would destroy his reputation in rightwing world and thus ruin friendships and future money-making schemes. The neoconservative crowd of which he's a part are no longer near the center of things.
blatham

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 06:03 am
@izzythepush,
Thanks izzy. I used to check Brit media most every day but now you're doing that work for me.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 06:07 am
@hightor,
That's a weird switch by Graham. I don't understand it.
blatham

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 06:12 am
@hightor,
Wow. Not surprising in the least, of course. Two big crime families but not without interests which don't necessarily align. Wouldn't you love to have listened in on that one.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 07:23 am
There's a very good piece up on Facebook and its relevance to this (or any other) election Here

As modern tech and modern marketing techniques become increasingly sophisticated and influential, we would be damned unwise to imagine that elections will proceed now as we've known them to proceed in the past.
0 Replies

snood

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 07:27 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
John Bolton might know some of this, also, doubt he is feeling too friendly towards Trump. Wonder if he would willing to testify?
No. It would destroy his reputation in rightwing world and thus ruin friendships and future money-making schemes. The neoconservative crowd of which he's a part are no longer near the center of things.

Then again, if he parlays what he knows into a big book/ other media deal...
snood

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 07:29 am
@hightor,
Hell no. Twisted himself, the English language and the truth into the furthest bastardized pretzel of a non-answer his pea brain could muster.
blatham

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 07:30 am
@snood,
Not until Trump loses power and influence, I think. Then, sure.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 07:30 am
@coldjoint,
what a stupid, false post. Trump loves himself. Anything else is purely secondary, or tertiary at best. He loves money for himself too far more than any thought of the country. He only loves people who sup[port his every ewhim. Differ with anything he wants and you're toast. That ain't love for this country.
0 Replies

snood

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 07:32 am
@hightor,
But it’s fun in a demented sort of way - making them play dodgeball with the truth.
blatham

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 07:32 am
I hadn't previously known that Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman were arrested at the airport with one-way tickets. That suggests fiscal prudence, leaving the monies unspent and therefore available for use in working up bail.
revelette1

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:00 am
@blatham,
He must be two-faced. I don't think John McCain would have approved of his sentiments he expressed to the pranksters.
revelette1

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:02 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
No, he is not, but he loves it dearly. It is obvious, so obvious it hurts. Hurts the Left and that is a good thing.

Yeah, right.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:05 am
@revelette1,
The man's thinking is unfathomable. Other than his need to appear important.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:06 am
This is interesting. I'm not optimistic.
Quote:
U.S. Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland, a key figure in the Ukraine controversy, bucked the State Department on Friday and announced he would appear before House investigators under subpoena next week.
WP
revelette1

Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:10 am
Quote:
U.S. Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland, a key figure in the Ukraine controversy, bucked the State Department on Friday and announced he would appear before House investigators under subpoena next week.

The State Department blocked Sondland from appearing before three panels last week as the White House informed Democratic leaders they had no intention of cooperating with the impeachment inquiry.

Lawmakers also expect to hear closed-door testimony Friday from Marie Yovanovitch, the former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine who was recalled from her post in May. Barring late-hour intention by the State Department or White House, she is scheduled to appear at 10 a.m.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-impeachment-inquiry-live-updates/2019/10/11/457440b0-eb9c-11e9-9c6d-436a0df4f31d_story.html

I hope the democrats will be prepared for Sondland to give them the run around. I will be surprised if Sondland didn't change his mind from some word from Trump. Wouldn't it be nice though if he was fully prepared to open up and tell everything he knows in a straight forward manner?
0 Replies