monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

BillW

Tue 1 Oct, 2019 04:23 pm
@blatham,
Not just us guys, the world. If the world's largest economy and military goes down - well, there would a mighty big scramble with who coming out on top?
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 1 Oct, 2019 04:29 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Better late than never (you dipshits)
Quote:
Homeland Security Dept. Affirms Threat of White Supremacy After Years of Prodding
NYT

I choose to be optimistic. This isn't just for show. Maybe.

Wondering if this is related in any way:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/enough-trump-s-former-homeland-security-adviser-disturbed-ukraine-allegations-n1060051
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 1 Oct, 2019 04:46 pm
OMG, un-fing believable if true:

Quote:
So even if President Trump were impeached and convicted, there is the possibility that he could be reelected to the same office from which he had been removed.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/could-president-trump-impeached-convicted-122740130.html
blatham

Tue 1 Oct, 2019 05:16 pm
@BillW,
Possible.
georgeob1

Tue 1 Oct, 2019 05:49 pm
@blatham,
Likely
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Tue 1 Oct, 2019 05:54 pm
@BillW,
Which basically means we'll have to convict him 0n civi lawquickly and lock him up after he's impeached and convicted and forced out of office, before he can be sworn in again. And I think at that point we slap him with the 25th amendment. Just lock him up now and sort iy all out later.
Builder

Tue 1 Oct, 2019 09:29 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
....we'll have to convict him 0n civi lawquickly and lock him up after he's impeached and convicted and forced out of office, before he can be sworn in again.

I like dropping in here for a quick laugh.

Your desperation is becoming more apparent by the minute.

Keep up the good work. LOL.
MontereyJack

Tue 1 Oct, 2019 11:10 pm
@Builder,
hardly desperation. His ass is in a sling, and he did it to himself. The question now is how best to take advantage of it.
blatham

Wed 2 Oct, 2019 04:46 am
Quote:
Impeachment Rules Say Senate Must Act, but Its Act Might Be a Swift Dismissal

WASHINGTON — Senator Mitch McConnell’s comment this week that the Senate would be forced to “take up” articles of impeachment from the House had the capital in a swirl, bracing for a full-blown Senate trial of President Trump. But as things now stand, any trial would likely be swift, ending in dismissal of the accusations.

While the focus was on the statement by Mr. McConnell, the majority leader, that the Senate would have “no choice” but to begin an impeachment proceeding, it was his next line that might have been more telling: “How long you are on it is a whole different matter.”

The fusty rules of the Senate make clear that Republicans could not unilaterally stonewall articles of impeachment of Mr. Trump as they did the Supreme Court nomination of Merrick B. Garland. But Mr. McConnell’s declaration suggests the Republican-controlled Senate could move expeditiously to toss them out if Republicans conclude the House impeachment is meritless, or a strictly partisan affair.

“I don’t think they could just duck it,” said Donald A. Ritchie, historian emeritus of the Senate. “It is a constitutional responsibility. When you look at the weight of history, I think they would feel they have to do something. They would have to decide how abbreviated they wanted to make it.”

NYT
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 2 Oct, 2019 04:52 am
Quote:
A former police chief in New Jersey who is on trial on a federal hate-crime charge after he allegedly slammed a black teenager’s head into a doorjamb, once called President Trump “the last hope for white people,” according to a recording recently played for jurors.

In the 2016 recording, which federal officials shared with The New York Times, Frank Nucera Jr., the former chief, can be heard saying that Mr. Trump was the last hope because “Hillary will give it to all the minorities to get a vote. That’s the truth! I’m telling you.”

...In 2015, Mr. Nucera had told a colleague that African-Americans were “like ISIS, they have no value,” according to a criminal complaint filed in Federal District Court in New Jersey. “They should line them all up and mow ’em down,” he said, according to the complaint.
NYT

Sound like the perfect person to receive a presidential pardon followed by a cabinet level appointment.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 2 Oct, 2019 05:31 am
Rudy Giuliani and Fox, laying waste to the minds of Fox viewers
Quote:
...On Tuesday, he suggested that although Congress’s oversight of the presidency is among the country’s founding principles, he might sue members for violating attorney-client privilege and obstruction of justice over their investigation of the whistleblower’s complaint.

...Giuliani also alleged that members of Congress were interfering with the president’s ability to direct foreign policy under Article II of the Constitution, and echoed Trump’s previous claim that Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) had “threatened” withholding Democratic support from Zelensky during a September meeting. Murphy has said that he only told Zelensky that Ukraine should not become involved in the 2020 election, and should communicate directly with the State Department rather than Trump’s campaign.
“They’re calling foreign leaders,” Giuliani said on Tuesday night. “They are going to foreign capitals."

...Following Giuliani’s appearance on “The Ingraham Angle,” the Atlantic’s White House correspondent, Elaina Plott, tweeted a screen shot of a text exchange where Giuliani said he was considering filing a lawsuit “to end lawless action.” When asked who, in particular, he planned to sue, Giuliani responded, “The Swamp.”
WP
0 Replies

Builder

Wed 2 Oct, 2019 05:34 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
His ass is in a sling,

If that were really the case, why are you suggesting "work-arounds" for his "arrest" to prevent him being president again?

Quote:
and he did it to himself.

I would have thought that what Clinton and Obama did to Libya would be enough to see them hanging by their necks in the public square until their corpses rotted.

But that's only in a sane world, right?

Quote:
The question now is how best to take advantage of it.

Keep chirping about it, until you realise how futile this situation really is.

Then move on. (if you can)

hightor

Wed 2 Oct, 2019 05:39 am

Will Trump Ever Leave the White House?

Pretty chilling speculation from the NYT's Thomas B. Edsall

hightor

Wed 2 Oct, 2019 05:43 am
@Builder,
Quote:
If that were really the case, why are you suggesting "work-arounds" for his "arrest" to prevent him being president again?

Probably because his administration has shown a willingness to obstruct, ignore, or stonewall lawful requests for information, testimony, and documentation.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 2 Oct, 2019 06:04 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Like Dellinger, Levitsky argued that Fox News will play a crucial role if Trump is impeached or loses a close re-election bid:

Quote:
In my view, the key variable is the response of the Republican coalition, including Fox News and other major right wing media. If the Republican coalition fractures, Trump is toast.
This precisely matches my thoughts.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 2 Oct, 2019 06:22 am
I saw some reporting last week (didn't think to bookmark it) which noted that money going to help out the agriculture sector (due mainly, it seems, to the trade war with China) is now twice as great as what was spent to bail out the US auto industry during the Obama period.

You'll all recall the screeching from Fox and other right wing voices about Obama's decision to help out the auto industry. Has anyone heard a peep from Fox or the GOP on monies directed to agriculture?
blatham

Wed 2 Oct, 2019 06:24 am
Paul Waldman writes
Quote:
Darren Samuelsohn reports that at last, Rudy Giuliani has hired his own lawyer, whose first job will presumably be to duct-tape Rudy’s mouth shut.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 2 Oct, 2019 06:27 am
Troubles ahead
Quote:
President Donald Trump is staring down possible impeachment. Fortunately for him, his base of very conservative Republicans in the Senate likely would save him from being removed from office.

But CNN/SSRS polling in September suggests that Trump should be more worried about a part of the Republican Party that gets less notoriety: the more moderate part. This part of the party won't play a large role in impeachment proceedings, but their feelings toward impeachment and Trump in general could hurt his re-election bid.

The yearning for impeachment and removing Trump from office has risen significantly among moderate and liberal potential Republicans (i.e. Republicans and Republican leaning independents). Nearly a third of moderate/liberal potential Republicans in our latest CNN poll said they wanted Trump impeached and removed last week, while about two-thirds didn't want that. Back in late May, the split was 16% for impeachment and removal and 81% against it. This is statistically significant movement...
CNN
0 Replies

snood

Wed 2 Oct, 2019 06:28 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I saw some reporting last week (didn't think to bookmark it) which noted that money going to help out the agriculture sector (due mainly, it seems, to the trade war with China) is now twice as great as what was spent to bail out the US auto industry during the Obama period.

You'll all recall the screeching from Fox and other right wing voices about Obama's decision to help out the auto industry. Has anyone heard a peep from Fox or the GOP on monies directed to agriculture?

Not a whimper.
It’s also good to remember that Obama’s bailout money was paid back by the auto industry.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 2 Oct, 2019 06:32 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
I'll pray for you [georgeob]

I did that. My faith in an omnipotent, just and loving God has been shaken to its very foundation.

Something tells me we are both going to go to hell (if Hell exists)