monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

georgeob1

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 05:56 pm
@snood,
I believe the answer is that Congressional Committees can indeed subpoena Cabinet officers, but they have a right and obligation to withhold the private deliberations of the President and his Cabinet. I'm almost certain that no Congressional Committee can compel the president's legal counsel to testify on matters relating to his representation of the President.

I suspect the Clinton Campaign went through their Law firm to pay a former British intelligence officer, then living in Russia and working freelance, for the salacious Trump dossier, for a similar reason.
blatham

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 06:42 pm
@blatham,
As I said above, right wing media is going to run hard with the "IT'S A COUP!"
Quote:
Lou Dobbs: “This is an outright premeditated effort to subvert and overthrow the president of the United States”
mm

We knew these people are despicable. I think we might find out just how despicable they can make themselves over the next year.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 06:45 pm
Greg Sargent
@ThePlumLineGS

Quinnipiac:
Approve of inquiry: 52
Disapprove: 45

CBS:
Approve of inquiry: 55
Disapprove: 45

CNN:
Should be impeached/removed: 47
Shouldn't: 45

PS... Greg's tweet was in response to Trump tweeting a Breitbart poll showing 97.3 % of people stand with Trump. Of course, many who are locked into that media universe will have no idea of what's really going on. Which is precisely why much of the modern right wing media universe exists.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 06:54 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EFwG9icX0AAAdqv?format=jpg&name=900x900

As reporter Blake Hounshell notes
Quote:
Somehow the pro-Trump super PAC [America First] has been enlisted into drumming up votes for Sean Spicer on Dancing With the Stars.
0 Replies

Builder

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 08:07 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Before Trump, I would’ve had a reasonable amount of expectation that lawfully issued subpoenas would be honored and obeyed, or if not, that there would be consequences at the ready to enforce compliance.

Is this the same crew who came to the conclusion that a sec of state using a private server for top secret correspondence, and then having that server professionally "scrubbed" during an inquiry into the content of that server, was merely "careless" ?

I wouldn't take them seriously, either.
BillW

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 09:10 pm
@snood,
https://www.rollcall.com/news/congress/just-secret-house-jail-located

"Inherent Contempt"
snood

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 09:42 pm
@BillW,
It’s an entertaining idea. Not like anyone’s ever going to be using that jail, though.
BillW

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 10:24 pm
@snood,
1935 was the last time that jail cell was used.

Contempt of Congress:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contempt_of_Congress
0 Replies

RABEL222

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 11:10 pm
@Builder,
You mean the emails Trump asked the Russians to find for him and when they did still couldent prove she broke the law because none of them were secret when they were sent?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 1 Oct, 2019 12:05 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I suspect the Clinton Campaign went through their Law firm to pay a former British intelligence officer, then living in Russia and working freelance, for the salacious Trump dossier, for a similar reason.

You seem to be following orders George. However suspicion is not proof....I understand why that narrative is attractive to people like yourself......I'll pray for you
glitterbag

Tue 1 Oct, 2019 12:11 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

It’s an entertaining idea. Not like anyone’s ever going to be using that jail, though.

Maybe not that one....but perhaps a holding cell in a rendition area in Mississippi. Or, perhaps one of those summer camps on the Southern Border???? They would have to bring their own soap and toothpaste.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 1 Oct, 2019 04:34 am
@georgeob1,
The true believers have a really hard time making that connection.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 1 Oct, 2019 05:40 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:

What's the "similar reason" here? Snood's question was about open contempt for lawfully issued subpoenas.

izzythepush

Tue 1 Oct, 2019 06:15 am
Quote:
Republican New York Congressman Chris Collins has resigned from Congress amid reports he plans to plead guilty to charges of insider trading.

According to prosecutors, Mr Collins gave confidential information about an Australian biotechnology firm to his son.

He had called the charges "meritless" and pleaded not guilty, but will reportedly change his plea on Tuesday.

Mr Collins' upstate New York district is overwhelmingly Republican.

He was able to win his re-election campaign last year despite facing charges of securities and wire fraud, and of making false statements to FBI investigators.

According to a spokesman for Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, Mr Collins on Monday submitted his letter of resignation which will take effect on Tuesday.

According to US media, Mr Collins will change his plea to guilty during a hearing in a Manhattan court on Tuesday. It's unclear if he will plead guilty to the original charges against him or another set of charges.

Mr Collins was one of the first mainstream Republicans to endorse Donald Trump's presidential candidacy.

He was arrested by the FBI last August after prosecutors alleged that he alerted his son to a failed drug trial, allowing him to divest and avoid more than $500,000 (£406,000) in losses.

Prosecutors allege that he called his son in June 2017 after receiving an email during the congressional picnic at the White House, informing him of the failed drug trial results involving Innate Immunotherapeutics, a company in which his son owned thousands of shares.

He never sold any of his own shares in the company, which then plummeted in value.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49881856
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 1 Oct, 2019 07:10 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I'll pray for you [georgeob]

I did that. My faith in an omnipotent, just and loving God has been shaken to its very foundation.
blatham

Tue 1 Oct, 2019 07:14 am
Quote:
Bill Kristol
@BillKristol
House Armed Services chair Mac Thornberry (R-TX), a respected legislator with a safe seat, announces he won't run for reelection. The thoughtful and decent Republicans left in the House depart, as the national GOP enters a death spiral.
5:08 AM · Oct 1, 2019

For three generations (Irving, Bill and Matthew Continetti) this family has been at the very center of influence within the Republican Party. And now this.
snood

Tue 1 Oct, 2019 07:19 am
@blatham,

blatham wrote:

Quote:
Bill Kristol
@BillKristol
House Armed Services chair Mac Thornberry (R-TX), a respected legislator with a safe seat, announces he won't run for reelection. The thoughtful and decent Republicans left in the House depart, as the national GOP enters a death spiral.
5:08 AM · Oct 1, 2019

For three generations (Irving, Bill and Matthew Continetti) this family has been at the very center of influence within the Republican Party. And now this.

It’s a pleasant thought - “the GOP is dying”. But the greed and nationalistic paranoia that animates the GOP’s beating heart makes it harder to kill than a freaking android cockroach.
blatham

Tue 1 Oct, 2019 07:27 am
Hmmm
Quote:
Fox News Business host Melissa Francis on Monday slammed President Donald Trump’s “outrageous” demand to find out identity of the whistleblower behind last week’s blockbuster complaint about his call with the Ukrainian president.

Francis told the hosts of Fox News’ “Outnumbered” that it is “outrageous to say that you demand to see a whistleblower.”

“That sentence, in and of itself, doesn’t make any sense,” she said. “They’re blowing the whistle on corruption that they see.”
TPM

Not the first contemporary internecine battle over at Fox re Trump, of course. Murdoch has a problem; stay on a trajectory that's heading toward disaster (demographically and politically) or jump off and lose a key source of his mega-bucks. It's worth watching Fox over the next while. Even better, would someone please drop a degrading satellite on the Murdoch family. Please.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 1 Oct, 2019 07:34 am
@snood,
I know. As I've noted earlier, in Canada one of the two most long-lived and stable political parties (it was conservative) collapsed and totally disbanded after a crushing electoral loss in '93. But within a very short time, all the big money interests along with social conservatives (who have been, for decades, taking their lead from the US social conservatives) reorganized and soon regained power.

But obviously, unless America rids itself of the modern GOP, you guys are fucked.
blatham

Tue 1 Oct, 2019 08:06 am
Better late than never (you dipshits)
Quote:
Homeland Security Dept. Affirms Threat of White Supremacy After Years of Prodding
NYT

I choose to be optimistic. This isn't just for show. Maybe.