monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 07:17 am
Voice From The Right, episode 421
Quote:
President Donald Trump’s former homeland security adviser said on Sunday that he was “deeply disturbed” by his former boss’s attempts to solicit damaging information from Ukraine about Joe Biden, becoming one of the most vocal critics among ex-Trump officials.

“Yes, I’m deeply disturbed by it, as well, and this entire mess has me frustrated, George,” Tom Bossert said on ABC’s “This Week With George Stephanopoulos,” responding to the host’s citing a whistleblower complaint that said White House officials were disturbed by a call between Trump and Ukraine’s president in July.

Bossert also said some of Trump’s backers weren’t helping matters.

“The DNC server and that conspiracy theory has got to go,” he said, referring to unfounded claims that Ukraine stole Democratic National Committee emails in 2016 and then somehow framed Russia.

“It’s not only a conspiracy theory. It is completely debunked,” said Bossert, who served as homeland security adviser from January 2017 to April 2018. He added that if Trump continues with that focus, “it’s going to bring him down.”...
Politico
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 07:35 am
@Region Philbis,
Alf Garnett of course.

I saw him play Willy Loman in Death of a Salesman at the Barbican a very long time ago.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 07:52 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

(it's understandable ...)

It’s understandable to get Liz Warren’s name mixed up because... an English Actor..?
blatham

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 08:09 am
Voices From The Right, episode 462 or whatever
Quote:
As Democrats begin an impeachment inquiry, President Trump spent Sunday vigorously defending himself on Twitter and sharing cable news clips of his most ardent devotees insisting that he did nothing wrong in asking the Ukrainian president to investigate his political rival, former vice president Joe Biden.

Trump highlighted one quote from a longtime evangelical pastor warning of particularly dire consequences if the Democrats follow through.

“If the Democrats are successful in removing the President from office (which they will never be), it will cause a Civil War like fracture in this Nation from which our Country will never heal,” Trump tweeted, adding his own parenthetical to a quote from Robert Jeffress, a Southern Baptist preacher speaking on “Fox & Friends Weekend” on Sunday.

“I have visited nations ravaged by civil war. @realDonaldTrump I have never imagined such a quote to be repeated by a President,” tweeted Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.), a decorated Air Force veteran who served as a pilot in Iraq and Afghanistan. “This is beyond repugnant.”
WP
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 08:15 am
Voices From The Right, episode 463
Quote:
My fellow Republicans, it is time to risk your careers in favor of your principles. Whether you believe the president deserves impeachment, you know he does not deserve reelection.

Our country will have more presidents. But principles, well, we get just one crack at those. For those who want to put America first, it is critically important at this moment in the life of our country that we all, here and now, do just that.

Trust me when I say that you can go elsewhere for a job. But you cannot go elsewhere for a soul.
Jeff Flake
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 09:06 am
One individual who is undoubtedly quite pleased with the Trump/Ukraine affair, the impeachment investigation and all the press attention on those matters will be Franklin Graham.
revelette1

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 09:11 am
@blatham,
Why so? I had to look up who he is. I never remember the son's name.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 09:13 am
Quote:
A majority of Americans believe that President Trump’s attempt to pressure Ukraine to dig up dirt on a political rival is a serious problem that merits an impeachment inquiry, but the new scandal doesn’t shock them, according to to two new polls released Sunday. An ABC News/Ipsos poll conducted September 27-28 found that 64 percent of Americans believe Trump’s call with Ukraine — which alarmed an intelligence-community whistle-blower enough that they filed a formal complaint — is either a very serious or somewhat serious problem. A CBS News/YouGov poll conducted September 26-27, meanwhile, found that 72 percent of Americans thought the call was either illegal (41 percent) or improper but legal (31 percent).

55 percent said they agreed that the act merits an impeachment inquiry.
NYMag
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 09:43 am
@snood,
He's quite big over here, Alf Garnett was reinvented as Archie Bunker so he had some impact over there too.

What do you want me to do? I've said sorry, either you believe why I got the name mixed up or not. If not why do you think I got the name wrong? What am I supposed to be hiding?
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 09:52 am
Reuters is reporting that the Kremlin has said that Washington cannot publish phone transcripts/memos of calls between Putin and Trump without Russia's permission.

It will be fun to see how many rightwing dipshits think this is how it works.
revelette1

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 10:05 am
@blatham,
Smile
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 10:18 am
Paul Rosenberg makes a very astute and important point here
Quote:
Paul Rosenberg
@PaulHRosenberg
The institutions of American democracy do not protect us.
They are means by which we protect ourselves.... And those we care about.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 10:32 am
Quote:
The lawyers for a whistleblower whose complaint triggered a US presidential impeachment inquiry say Donald Trump's words are endangering their client.

Since the transcript of his call with the president of Ukraine was revealed, Mr Trump has called for the anonymous whistleblower to be unmasked.

Democrats say the whistleblower will testify to Congress "soon" once steps are taken to protect their identity.

Mr Trump has suggested his opponents could be arrested for treason.

A transcript of a call Mr Trump made to Ukraine's new President Volodymyr Zelensky shows he urged him to investigate discredited corruption allegations against former vice-president and 2020 presidential candidate Joe Biden as well as his son.

The call is now at the centre of an effort by Democrats that could see Mr Trump expelled from office, but doing so would require members of his Republican party to turn against him.

The letter from the whistleblower's legal team - in which the lawyers call attention to Mr Trump's language - was sent to Acting Director of National Intelligence Joseph Maguire on Saturday, and made public on Sunday.

"The events of the past week have heightened our concerns that our client's identity will be disclosed publicly and that, as a result, our client will be put in harm's way," wrote lawyer Andrew Bakaj.

The letter specifically mentions Mr Trump's call last week for the whistleblower to be identified, as well as the person that supplied the whistleblower with information about the call.

It quotes Mr Trump as saying: "I want to know who's the person that gave the whistleblower, who's the person that gave the whistleblower the information, because that's close to a spy.

"You know what we used to do in the old days when we were smart? Right? With spies and treason, right? We used to handle them a little differently than we do now."

The letter also references a $50,000 (£40,600) "bounty" that two conservative Trump supporters have offered as a "reward" for information about the whistleblower.

"Unfortunately, we expect this situation to worsen, and to become even more dangerous for our client and any other whistleblowers, as Congress seeks to investigate this matter," Mr Bakaj's letter adds.

Mr Maguire faced lawmakers last week and said he believed the whistleblower acted in "good faith".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49881847
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 11:42 am
Quote:
DONALD TRUMP STANDS ACCUSED OF PRESSURING Volodymyr Zelensky, the president of Ukraine, to investigate allegations of wrongdoing in that nation by former vice president Joe Biden, among Trump’s rivals for the election in 2020.

Adam Entous, a reporter for the New Yorker, first tackled the allegation that Biden had pressured Ukraine to fire a prosecutor who was looking into an oil and gas company, the Burisma Group—which employed Biden’s son Hunter as a board member—in a story published in July.

We asked Entous whether there was anything to the accusations, and how others might go about reporting out such a complicated and polarizing story. The following has been edited for clarity and concision...
Columbia Journalism Review
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 11:56 am
Judd Legum reports that in just the last week, Trump spent $1 million on Facebook ads. Two points to note:

1) the importance of Facebook and other social media in the spread of information/disinformation

2) given the other candidates' spending (not to mention spending by other entities like super pacs) you can easily understand how Facebook will have a vested interest in curbing meaningful election finance reform. This, of course, holds true with mainstream media as well.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 03:36 pm
Oh, really
Quote:
Trump Pressed Australian Leader to Help Barr Investigate Mueller Inquiry’s Origins
The discussion was another instance of the president using American diplomacy for potential personal gain.
NYT

And, who else?
0 Replies

snood

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 03:47 pm
I wonder if someone here can answer a question for me. I’ve asked several , and no one seems to have a good answer.

Pundits seems to be putting a lot of significance on the fact that subpoenas have been issued to the acting Secretary of State and also to Trump’s personal lawyer.

What actions can be taken if they just continue doing what this administration has been doing for the last two years? Namely, telling Congress where they can shove their subpoenas.

Before Trump, I would’ve had a reasonable amount of expectation that lawfully issued subpoenas would be honored and obeyed, or if not, that there would be consequences at the ready to enforce compliance.

It feels like all of that went somewhere. So, what can and will Congress actually do if the open contempt continues?
blatham

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 03:53 pm
Quote:
Fox’s Newt Gingrich: "This is not an impeachment process. This is a coup d'etat”

NEWT GINGRICH: I think everybody who is concerned about what's going on should drop the word "impeach," or "impeachment." This is not an impeachment process. This is a coup d'etat. This is a deliberate -- this goes back to election night 2016, their first trial run was the Russian conspiracy, where it was the FBI who were breaking the law.

Their second run now is this totally crazy Ukrainian problem, where it's the intelligence community breaking the law, but the patterns are so similar, I mean, nobody should kid themselves.

This has nothing to do with impeachment, it has nothing to do with the rule of law, it has nothing to do with facts.

...What you and I are living through right now is the most unconstitutional and anti-American effort to replace the president of the United States, with the choice of the left-wing bureaucracy, news media, and Democrats in the Congress. It's extraordinary that it's going on.
MM

We're going to see this a lot from Fox, from right wing talk radio and from GOP politicos. It is, of course, an extremely dangerous bit of agitprop and it is going to encourage crazy people, many of whom own guns.

Remove Murdoch, Limbaugh and Gingrich from history and the US would be a far, far different and better place.
blatham

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 03:54 pm
@snood,
Wish I could help clarify the picture for you, snood. But I'm not clear on this myself.

Edit: A part of this story may be that no one expects that Giuliani or Barr etc will merely accept those subpoenas and appear as instructed. The goal may be to increase the weight of evidence for obstruction of justice.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 05:20 pm
@blatham,
No newt it hAS to do with trumo breaking the law... It has todo with him thinking hes prez and whatever he wants to do is therefore legal. Its not. Just lock him up now and **** the dojs edict.
0 Replies