monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 01:13 pm
This is a really clear and thorough analysis by Ed Kilgore of impeachment of Presidents and how voters have responded to to those cases. It's a bit long and detailed but really necessary reading if you care about this. So I'll just paste the concluding graphs.
Quote:
Will Voters Warm to Impeaching Trump, and Does It Matter?

...So what are the implications of this history?

First, support for impeachment and removal appears to be a lagging indicator of how the public feels about an embattled president caught in unsavory misconduct. House Democrats probably shouldn’t worry about it that much early on unless the trend lines go south on them.

Second, the number to watch in terms of political fallout is probably not support for or opposition to impeachment or removal but Trump’s job-approval rating. It has, as is universally understood, been amazingly stable (and underwater) throughout his presidency. If it moves up or down sharply, that could be significant. And if it stays the same, at least House Democrats can stop worrying about endangering their party by doing the right thing.

And third, it probably matters less what Americans think Congress should and should not do about Trump than what they think about Trump’s behavior. If House Democrats are right that the Ukraine scandal is both easy to understand and highly incriminating, the trajectory of the president’s popularity may look more like Nixon’s than Clinton’s.

Finally, it’s worth remembering that this is a very small sample of precedents from which we can learn. Chief executives like Nixon, Clinton, and Trump are not the norm. And while there’s almost always some impeachment sentiment kicking around the fever swamps in times of high partisan polarization, this is a situation nearly as strange as the very existence of a Trump presidency. So it would be smart for everyone in the line of fire in the next year or so to keep an open mind and nimble feet.
NYMag
0 Replies

Sturgis

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 01:34 pm
@Builder,
Quote:
I highly doubt his ego would allow an easy exit.

That's my worry. The more time he has and the more rants he spews the worse that it will be for the country.
Sturgis

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 01:37 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
There were no errors...

There are so many errors from your stack of posts, it would not be fair to just single one of them out...or even the first fifty.
oralloy

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 06:03 pm
@Sturgis,
Your failure to point out any of these supposed errors shows that you are lying and that there are really no such errors.
0 Replies

Builder

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 07:48 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Ooh! Whistleblower to testify...

Nice move, from Shifty. Get a bloke in a white hood to read statements.

Quote:
The whistleblower at the center of the impeachment investigation of President Trump will testify in the House “very soon,” though in a way that will protect his identity, the Democrat leading the probe said Sunday.
0 Replies

Builder

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 03:40 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
That's my worry.

Just curious, Sturgis; would you have preferred HRC to be in the driver's seat?
0 Replies

Builder

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 04:17 am
From the comments after this video; It's a shame Americans have to go to Al Jazeera and RT news to get some facts.

Lash

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 04:34 am
Interesting facts in America today:

Joe Biden’s campaign sends demands to the major networks not to interview Rudy Guiliani.

Elizabeth Warren’s trip to a historically black college net a lily white crowd.

Picture released of Warren’s white parents logically refute Warren’s claim that her parents had to elope because of (laughably undetectable) native blood. (No high cheekbones detectable either.)

izzythepush

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 04:37 am
@Lash,
I think these facts are more significant.

Quote:
Jihadists have attacked a military base where US soldiers train commandos in Somalia, causing casualties, reports say.

Local residents reported heavy blasts and gunfire at Baledogle airport in the southern Lower Shabelle region.

The al-Shabab militant group said it carried out the attack, using a car bomb to blast through the gates before sending its fighters inside.

Military officials say the jihadists have been pushed back.

Al-Shabab launched a "daring raid on the US military base", the group said in a statement.

"After breaching the perimeters of the heavily fortified base, the mujahideen [holy warriors] stormed the military complex, engaging the crusaders in an intense firefight."

Separately, an Italian military convoy was hit by an explosion in the capital Mogadishu, Italy's defence ministry said. No casualties have as yet been reported in this attack.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-49879607
Lash

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 04:43 am
@izzythepush,
Not going to be ‘news-shamed’ or censored.

This entire thread is politically-oriented.
izzythepush

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 04:52 am
@Lash,
No, just vote down real news in favour of light weight **** about Mitchell's cheekbones.
Lash

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 04:56 am
@izzythepush,
Just try to censure political news you don’t like in a political thread.
Olivier5

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 04:56 am
@Lash,
Giuliani is a liar, working for a liar. Why should anyone in the news business allow him to spread more lies?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 05:02 am
@Lash,
Don't talk rubbish, an American military base is attacked and you vote it down so you can discuss Mitchell's cheek bones and why having native American blood disbars her from presidency.

Some things are more important than your racism.
snood

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 05:12 am
@izzythepush,
Who is Mitchell?
hightor

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 05:16 am
@Builder,
Quote:
From the comments after this video; It's a shame Americans have to go to Al Jazeera and RT news to get some facts.

Hahaaa!

What's really a shame is that pro-Trump Americans have to resort to finding corroboration for their "alternative facts" by going to the YouTube comments following a fake news story! Shokin, a lackey for the oligarch Dmitry Firtash, has no credibility. Either does RT. (Al Jazeera is a pretty good source though.)
izzythepush

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 05:24 am
@snood,
Sorry I meant Warren. For some reason I keep getting her surname confused.
Region Philbis

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 06:09 am
@izzythepush,

(it's understandable ...)
blatham

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 06:54 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Jay Rosen
@jayrosen_nyu
You can try to make things clear for viewers and inform the public. Or you can interview Giuliani. You cannot do both. Everyone in TV news knows this. And they choose. The confusion he spreads is strategic for him and a defeat for them, for it is impossible to resolve on air.

Note: Post edited. I had said your use of "demands" was false as the quote I'd read, a portion of the text, said "asked". But I've just read more on that letter and elsewhere the text does use "demands". My error. You had it right.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Sep, 2019 07:12 am
@hightor,
Quote:
What's really a shame is that pro-Trump Americans have to resort to finding corroboration for their "alternative facts" by going to the YouTube comments following a fake news story!
That's rather perfect.
0 Replies